Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

volklore

Arcane
There is no monthly sub for GW2.
now. after years. but it was there on launch, and it was a disaster.
There was never a sub (I played on release). When GW2 went ''free to play'', it only meant you could play the core game without buying it, without a few QoL benefits (like mounts) which you get when ''upgrading'' your account by buying the base game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
On another note, ArenaNet support actually recovered my account I hadn't accessed in 10+ years which was stuck on a discontinued e-mail service and I had extremely minimal info and didn't have access to keys from box sets. So I started a warrior in pre-searing and fooled around a bit. Let's see where nostalgia takes me. Game still looks good fully maxed out.
That is exactly what happened to me, but my e-mail was the same and I gave them the names of some of my characters. I couldn't find my boxes for whatever reason, although I did find the manual for Nightfall, lol.
Why would you have done that? It had been clear well before GW2's release that it would be nothing like GW.
In other words, I didn't buy GW 2 because I was a huge fan of original.
I don't remember what I thought back then. Maybe it was something along the lines of "yeah, it's different, but it's the same developer, so it might still be good". Turns out that nope, it was extremely boring and dumbed down.

PvP killed itself via community elitism. PvE groups were welcoming to newcomers, PvP groups generally were not, so when players were allocating their time in the game they would naturally gravitate towards PvE. The PvP community wanted the devs to stop caring about PvP, that's why they deliberately made their own community as small & irrelevant as possible. That or the PvP community were really stupid and did it unintentionally.
That's fake news. A good part of PvP community was willing to go even for monthly payments, if that would have helped to stop NCSoft pushing for an expansion after another too fast.
If you think that the PvP community being willing to pay monthly payments would have an impact on NCSoft's financial decision-making, when the PvP community was only a tiny portion of the overall Guild Wars player base and wouldn't represent a significant revenue stream, then I guess that would just make you really stupid.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PvP killed itself via community elitism. PvE groups were welcoming to newcomers, PvP groups generally were not, so when players were allocating their time in the game they would naturally gravitate towards PvE. The PvP community wanted the devs to stop caring about PvP, that's why they deliberately made their own community as small & irrelevant as possible. That or the PvP community were really stupid and did it unintentionally.
That's fake news. A good part of PvP community was willing to go even for monthly payments, if that would have helped to stop NCSoft pushing for an expansion after another too fast.
If you think that the PvP community being willing to pay monthly payments would have an impact on NCSoft's financial decision-making, when the PvP community was only a tiny portion of the overall Guild Wars player base and wouldn't represent a significant revenue stream, then I guess that would just make you really stupid.
Where did I imply that I thought it'd help? I just said a good portion of them was willing, as they wanted the devs really care about the pvp, contrary to what you said. No one wanted the devs to stop caring about pvp, vice versa, actually.

Did you just infer what I think you did from what I said? Then I guess that would just make you really stupid.

Where did I imply that I thought it'd help? I just said a good portion of them was willing, as they wanted the devs really care about the pvp, contrary to what you said. No one wanted the devs to stop caring about pvp, vice versa, actually.

Did you just infer what I think you did from what I said? Then I guess that would just make you really stupid.
If they wanted the devs to care about PvP they wouldn't have deliberately done everything they could to make their own community small and irrelevant, idiot. When your community is small and growing smaller, and the other community is big and growing bigger, the devs are naturally going to ignore your community in favour of the majority. If the PvP community as a whole had actually wanted the devs to care about PvP, they would have tried to get more people into PvP instead of the opposite.

And I think it's really unfortunate that the PvP community had so many short-sighted elitist retards, because PvP was the best part of the game and by far the most fun I had playing it, and I would have preferred if it had stayed the devs' focus.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If they wanted the devs to care about PvP they wouldn't have deliberately done everything they could to make their own community small and irrelevant, idiot. When your community is small and growing smaller, and the other community is big and growing bigger, the devs are naturally going to ignore your community in favour of the majority. If the PvP community as a whole had actually wanted the devs to care about PvP, they would have tried to get more people into PvP instead of the opposite.

And I think it's really unfortunate that the PvP community had so many short-sighted elitist retards, because PvP was the best part of the game and by far the most fun I had playing it, and I would have preferred if it had stayed the devs' focus.
So resorting calling names now. Figures, your argumentation is as lazy as was your will to git gud, probably never even featured in any ranked guild's lineup. Enjoy you random arguments, and random arenas, casual pleb.

On a more serious note, I don't think there's anything that could've been done to stop pve attracting a much larger share of the players. It's easy and casual, and so was most of the playerbase. The game was rigged from the start.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Random arenas was mainly for people with too many chromosomes, or making love to a cheese grater. Briefly fun, but ultimately pointless.

So resorting calling names now. Figures, your argumentation is as lazy as was your will to git gud, probably never even featured in any ranked guild's lineup. Enjoy you random arguments, and random arenas, casual pleb.

On a more serious note, I don't think there's anything that could've been done to stop pve attracting a much larger share of the players. It's easy and casual, and so was most of the playerbase. The game was rigged from the start.
I believe you started that with your "git gud" namecalling. And since you're arguing like a retard, you get called one. Any community that is elitist and engages in gatekeeping is going to see developers move away from it and towards larger communities. You can screech about skill issue all you like, but that doesn't change the facts. The PvP community could easily have maintained a reasonable parity with the PvE community if they hadn't maintained a high level of hostility towards newcomers. It wouldn't have needed to be the majority, if you look at how long the developers actually did continue catering towards the PvP community despite the growing size difference (balance changes were made with PvP in mind for a very long time before the split) it's clear they wanted PvP to remain the focus, and even if PvP had been a minority (but not too small of one) would still have been able to focus on it... but the PvP community made itself into such a tiny minority that there was no way to justify making it the priority.

Whenever I see these crocodile tears about the big mean devs focusing too much on PvE I will always point out that it was the PvP community's own doing, not the devs'.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Nah, there I think you're too optimistic. I maintain the player base was majorly pve focused even in the prophecies. Maybe in beta it was different.

Your sense of humour is as lacking as your skills in pvp, I see.

Nah, there I think you're too optimistic. I maintain the player base was majorly pve focused even in the prophecies. Maybe in beta it was different.

I'm not saying that the PvE base wasn't larger. What I'm saying, my intellectually stunted friend, is that the devs were clearly willing to or even preferred to focus on PvP even if the base was smaller - but it eventually became so small that focusing on it wasn't justifiable from a business standpoint. And this size decrease was self-inflicted by the PvP community.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

I'm not saying that the PvE base wasn't larger. What I'm saying, my intellectually stunted friend, is that the devs were clearly willing to or even preferred to focus on PvP even if the base was smaller - but it eventually became so small that focusing on it wasn't justifiable from a business standpoint. And this size decrease was self-inflicted by the PvP community.
And I'm arguing it just wasn't big enough to support that focus in any stage of the life cycle of the game, even if there were devs like Izzy who surely were very supportive of pvp. I believe Anet/NCSoft had that figured out from a business pov long before pushing out Factions.
Anyways, hard to argue without any numbers, and if you manage dig up some to support what you're saying, I'm willing to buy your argument pvp segment being large enough to warrant it being catered to, not so much it having been too elitist, though. I failed at least to find any through casual search.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only a fraction of players engage in PvP in general, so that's literally irrelevant because devs know this from the start. I'd even argue there were too many PvP modes at the end, which divided the PvP community even further and some of the modes didn't even make much sense.

Vyvian

Educated
Fort Aspenwood was the peak of GW1 PvP and I'll not hear any arguments otherwise.
Yes it was casual but the craziest shit could happen there and still be fun.

This dude has no energy management. It's a crap build if you are only able to use 1/2 of your build's power.

BiP means you've failed. Always better off having a real character that can contribute rather than a poor build.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
devs were clearly willing to or even preferred to focus on PvP even if the base was smaller - but it eventually became so small that focusing on it wasn't justifiable from a business standpoint. And this size decrease was self-inflicted by the PvP community.

You're parroting the same thing over and over but it is simply isn't true

BiP means you've failed.
lol wut
BiP necro has been one of the metatest heroes for long years now.
Doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Meta builds tend to be for low skill players who need stuff like that to sustain in fights for minutes rather than just bursting everything down, which is much quicker. Builds become meta because they are hard to fuck up, not because they are efficient or powerful.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Doesn't mean it is bad either. BiP necro does a good job of supporting multiple energy hungry casters since the AI always knows how much energy you have. On top of that it also provides some good healing. I don't know how you think that's bad. BiP allows the burst you're talking about.

For example in his build he can fix the energy consumption by just adding Power Drain. Wasting a whole character build on a blood necro is silly. The fact that he's bringing a signet shows that he knows he doesn't have the energy for the build. He's also taking a completely useless stance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom