Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
i can appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a large-scale gameplay overhaul mod, but the western modding scene has what i've personally dubbed as a 'creativity crisis' for certain game modding scenes - endless variations of people making gameplay or asset mods instead of making something actually new and meaningful, such as a mod with its own unique and different story that's actually engaging

i can understand trying to make your dream game with an already existing story, but making something that sticks with people in the form of a new story is something that'll make people remember your work fondly
jebsmoker is spoiled with Stalker modding scene

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i can appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a large-scale gameplay overhaul mod, but the western modding scene has what i've personally dubbed as a 'creativity crisis' for certain game modding scenes - endless variations of people making gameplay or asset mods instead of making something actually new and meaningful, such as a mod with its own unique and different story that's actually engaging

i can understand trying to make your dream game with an already existing story, but making something that sticks with people in the form of a new story is something that'll make people remember your work fondly
jebsmoker is spoiled with Stalker modding scene
seeing what people can do with the x-ray engine for custom story mods with a bit of creativity, effort, and patience is exactly what lead to my disillusionment with people just making endless call of chernobyl forks that just refine gameplay and nothing else

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Listen young one. Go make your own large-scale mods. After a few years report back with your experience and newly-formed wrinkles. I am not bending over for entitled gamer's demands. Zero interest, even if it would only take two hours. "Don't get paid enough for this shit" is exactly right. The passion to go all the way and appease everyone was killed. It is what it is. Modding isn't easy as it is, takes a lot of goddamn work. That doesn't mean I still don't want to show off the cool end result, either. Of course you do. Years went into it. But even the trailer was a bit half-assed. My heart was still in the design as it will always be, but nothing else. And yeah, you don't like the design. You have expressed that plenty enough even though at the time you hadn't even given it a chance and played it, so save it. May you enjoy vanilla.
I did play it to the end, even tried playing the expansion (until it broke), and your design sucked. The weapon upgrades provided very little of actual interesting choices beyond lolrecoil, all your fancy new attacks almost never hit me even without dodging (like, at all, ever), and you filled the maps with a bunch of random out-of-place encounters and even some terrible custom mapping just because, well, modder gonna mod, amirite? You can't be satisfied just tweaking the gameplay, or coming up with something that actually fits the game (as if you even could), you instead just had to go modifying everything for the sake of modification. But why even bother going that far if it's just for no one but yourself, and for a game that you don't even care for the actual appeal of.

Never tried GMDX, never will. I'll make my own mod, thanks. Also, by the way, gameplay overhauls are only medium-scale at best. They aren't total conversions. You know what those are, right?

Salk

Novice
Patron
With what all that's been said and done, I have a simple question for the GMDX v10 developers: if GMDX is so incompetently done, if the vision in it is the expression of a person that you despise, and, last but not least, if you were denied permission to call what you then created a sequel to the original mod... well, if that is all true, why did you create GMDX v10 and not your own modification for the original game?

Understand that I am not questioning the value of your project, the good (or bad) changes you made, or the initial intention you had to collaborate with the original author. All this is secondary to the heart of the matter, in my opinion.

Said that, I wish the parts involved had truly had a chance to work together because from what little I understand the original author and the people that created the forks could have come together to create a definite version of the mod. Sad, really.

Last edited:
Trolling is good when it's funny. I'm seeing a lot of slander, obsessive and stalking kind of behavior, which is the opposite. I understand the staff here doesn't have the time or patience to get into the intricacies of mod scene disputes, otherwise I'd recommend getting rid of these people with extreme prejudice. Yes, I'm talking about Beans00 and these v10 twerps from reddit/discord. I don't have an opinion on GMDX as I only played Vanilla decades ago(this might change soon), but the picture of what happened is now pretty clear.

It's okay, I always knew your mods were just a form of masturbation for you. But personally, I would want to have my own mods be fully featured, not really for the sake of some community, but because it's the right thing to do,

Who the fuck are you to tell people what to do with their own free time, or what "the right thing to do" is. You sound like a 15 year old trying to have adult opinions.

Black

Arcane
An athlete isn't a an athlete unless he does doping.
A mod isn't a mod unless it has its own schizo drama.

GMDX has finally been Christened.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It's okay, I always knew your mods were just a form of masturbation for you. But personally, I would want to have my own mods be fully featured, not really for the sake of some community, but because it's the right thing to do,

Who the fuck are you to tell people what to do with their own free time, or what "the right thing to do" is. You sound like a 15 year old trying to have adult opinions.
No, this is what a 15 year old sounds like:
Unreal (1998) is a highly enjoyable classic FPS with some rough edges. Unreal Evolution seeks to address these and bring a high quality golden age game to the next level. Expect tighter overall design through polished and enhanced weaponry/gunplay, smarter artificial intelligence and refined enemy placement, Enhanced Artistic Direction (new textures, effects, level details), tightened balance and resource distribution, new player mechanics, an engaging challenge (of course based on the difficulty mode you pick), enhanced replayability, audio design upgrades, a handful of bugfixes, better bossfights, level design with more to offer without being obviously different, and more...If you've played my critically-acclaimed 'GMDX' mod for Deus Ex, you know what to expect. Unreal Evolution is intended to enhance the overall experience yet retain the original spirit and concepts: Unreal but better
HUGE claims for what is just some guy messing around in UnrealEd. It's not presenting itself as just some personal experiment, it's selling itself as THE way to play Unreal. It's a product for other people to use. That means you're obliged to not be such a 15 year old about it and actually take it seriously. I don't care if it's free or just a hobby or just a dumb game. It takes as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong.

Also imagine asking for the codex to censor modder drama... lol!

Unreal (1998) is a highly enjoyable classic FPS with some rough edges. Unreal Evolution seeks to address these and bring a high quality golden age game to the next level. Expect tighter overall design through polished and enhanced weaponry/gunplay, smarter artificial intelligence and refined enemy placement, Enhanced Artistic Direction (new textures, effects, level details), tightened balance and resource distribution, new player mechanics, an engaging challenge (of course based on the difficulty mode you pick), enhanced replayability, audio design upgrades, a handful of bugfixes, better bossfights, level design with more to offer without being obviously different, and more...If you've played my critically-acclaimed 'GMDX' mod for Deus Ex, you know what to expect. Unreal Evolution is intended to enhance the overall experience yet retain the original spirit and concepts: Unreal but better
HUGE claims for what is just some guy messing around in UnrealEd. It's not presenting itself as just some personal experiment, it's selling itself as THE way to play Unreal. It's a product for other people to use. That means you're obliged to not be such a 15 year old about it and actually take it seriously. I don't care if it's free or just a hobby or just a dumb game. It takes as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong.

So... you're objecting to him promoting his own mod? That's completely unreasonable. You don't like it, that's fine; what you're doing, though, is faulting him for not living up to some imaginary standard of what a modder should be. That's why I called you a 15 year old, because that's what they do to their parents and other authority figures.

"It takes as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong."

How would you know? Entitled bitch.

"modder drama" is a disingenuous way of putting it and you know it.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

So... you're objecting to him promoting his own mod? That's completely unreasonable. You don't like it, that's fine; what you're doing, though, is faulting him for not living up to some imaginary standard of what a modder should be. That's why I called you a 15 year old, because that's what they do to their parents and other authority figures.

"It takes as much effort to do it right as it does to do it wrong."

How would you know? Entitled bitch.
So... you're objecting to me criticizing his own mod? That's completely unreasonable. You don't like it, that's fine; what you're doing, though, is faulting me for not living up to some imaginary standard of what a Codexer should be. That's why I called you a 15 year old, because that's what they do to anyone and everyone they disagree with.

"How would you know? Entitled bitch."

How would you know what I don't know? Entitled bitch.

"modder drama" is a disingenuous way of putting it and you know it.
"'modder drama' is a disingenuous way of putting it and you know it." is a disingenuous way of putting it and you know it.

Ash

Arcane
The fact you at least afforded me that miniscule bit of fairness earlier I know you're not the same type of seriously sick person I've had to deal with before, even if you did join in with them and that's messed up. You're just a dumb furry kid upset that I gave Unreal a gameplay upgrade (that it needed). Anyway, take your concerns to the Unreal Evolution thread.

Yes, I'm talking about Beans00

Include Tacgnol

Guy doesn't like me and that's fair, but he had no problem joining in here and elsewhere even though he knew exactly the sick shit Beans was doing. Just because someone is a little rude or arrogant, or you don't like them, you just don't do that shit if you're a sane person. He didn't know the full history to be fair, but the guy is still a fucking creep.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
For the nth time, shut up yammering your mouth about a mod you've never played. Thousands of people have played it without issue and framerate issues are common with Deus Ex in general.

You're missing the point. Just because you found one or two inefficient oversights doesn't make the whole thing "badly optimised". It simply means there are some minor oversights and this won't affect 95% of people in any meaningful way. Now if the framerate frequently tanked for many people, this would be "badly optimised". It's not a golden example of optimisation absolutely not, but given that it runs fine for the majority of players it's clearly not the worst either, and I was always conscious of performance when programming.

Also there isn't a "massive amount of accessed nones". I frequently cleared those up. There's possibly some remaining/overlooked, but it'd be marginal.Stop taking tiny nitpicks and blowing them out of proportion in EVERY THREAD. It's completely disingenuous and underhanded. And yes, as u/Synthenaeseaaa said, mod war. Once again, YCCCM7 and The_Markie are modders of two lesser known Deus Ex mods, have a devious agenda, and frequently conjure up false or exaggerated criticism of my work. One of these guys hasn't even played the mod.

We've had nitpicking of the minutest of design details as evidence that GMDX is garbage, a mod that 99% of players say is definitive or something synonymous to that effect.

Now we've had non-specified errors in an error log as proof that GMDX is badly optimised on the whole, and are not just some minor oversights unique to any particular location or edge case, or possibly not even caused by GMDX itself strictly....even though performance issue reports are rare and I was always conscious of it during development.

What will come next from the gang of stooges? Scouring through the .ini files in search of any potential perceived error with the default config and using that as an excuse to toss exaggerated shit?

Again, my point is that claiming it is badly optimised on the whole is bullshit, especially coming from someone that has never played it. Performance was always on my mind during development, and the majority of players have no issue. But hey, lets just look for any excuse we can to sully the reputation of the mod, because our mods suck or we don't like the developer.

Ash

Arcane
For the nth time

What are you hoping to gain here by digging up old shit? Can we please stop being goddamn creepy. This is me 7 years ago at the height of frustration, after dealing with numerous deranged people for years, responding to the slimy v10 devs that are blowing tiny shit out of proportion or making shit up. Again, they made up lies or took tiny flaws and blew them massively out of proportion. I don't recall a single complaint about performance in this thread. Feel free to use the search function. The mod isn't perfect and can be nitpicked...but the thing is why in the fuck would you unless you're a creep looking for an angle? For the most part, it runs fine, it plays fine, hardly any noticeable bugs. Players can attest to that.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Include @Tacgnol

Guy doesn't like me and that's fair, but he had no problem joining in here and elsewhere even though he knew exactly the sick shit Beans was doing. Just because someone is a little rude or arrogant, or you don't like them, you just don't do that shit if you're a sane person. He didn't know the full history to be fair, but the guy is still a fucking creep.

Don't involve me in your schizo drama. I just enjoy triggering your main character syndrome when I see you in threads.

That you have differing opinions is irrelevant, the way you blow up and attack anyone that disagrees with you is however very relevant.

Respect is reciprocated and I will treat anyone polite and respectful in that manner, you however are an extremely rude and arrogant individual (hence why people call you a typical modder, you very much match the stereotype).

Beans00

Erudite
I'd recommend getting rid of these people with extreme prejudice. Yes, I'm talking about Beans00 and these v10 twerps from reddit/discord.

Ash tried to get me and maybe tacgnol(mostly me) banned, and the admins of this site laughed in his face. He made a group chat with3-4 admins, with myself and tacgnol.

Ash

Arcane
No shit I "blow up" when being stalked or harassed. Or lies are made up about me. :roll:

And even if it were the case, wouldn't justify being a creep. The Bandicoot discussion is very relevant here. You joined in with beans accusing me of shit I hadn't even done, didn't actually read the topic, and didn't even have interest in the topic or discussion. You were there solely to creep on me, while being wrong about the whole thing. And are here solely to creep on me too. Put your personal dislike of me aside and don't be creepy.

tried to get me and maybe tacgnol(mostly me) banned, and the admins of this site laughed in his face. He made a group chat with3-4 admins, with myself and tacgnol.

You are severely deranged. Who the hell dedicates months of their life stalking and harassing an individual, making up lies about them, attacking their work with false claims etc? Displaying psychosis on that level is very concerning. People like you walk among humanity. Our food servers, bus drivers, police force, child-minders and so on. You must be happy to know the existence of people like you makes me extremely uncomfortable, and even depressed.

Last edited:

Beans00

Erudite
The fact you at least afforded me that miniscule bit of fairness earlier I know you're not the same type of seriously sick person I've had to deal with before, even if you did join in with them and that's messed up. You're just a dumb furry kid upset that I gave Unreal a gameplay upgrade (that it needed). Anyway, take your concerns to the Unreal Evolution thread.

Include Tacgnol

Do you think I care if you sit here pretending to be a victim? I don't give a fuck lol. You bring everything negative on yourself by acting like an asshole.

1. No one tough sits around on the internet "I would fucking destroy you kid", you legitimately type like you learned English from dragonball Z
2. No one tough runs and cries to admins the way you did. I actually sneezed orange juice out my nose when I read your schizo message you left in the admin group chat.
"I'm not crazy, why did you say I'm crazy?? You're crazy sick degenerate!!"
3. Finally, no one normal spends years making mods and having mental breakdown after mental breakdown. You're here coping and seething, crying. A few autists are taking your side which is fine. I'm convinced at least SomeGuyWithAnOpinion is your alt. The others maybe not.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
the admins of this site laughed in his face. He made a group chat with3-4 admins, with myself and tacgnol.
I'm pretty sure I said the same thing I said in this thread. I don't get the uproar of a murdered chick without pants in a world where Law & Order SVU has been on the air for 25 years and is well over 500 episodes. And maybe I should have even pointed out that a lot of SVU episodes are based on real events. Then I also pointed out how weird it is that people coming from reddit, a site that had a real world child trafficker as a super moderator, are feigning outrage over that same thing. In a game. A fictional thing.

I also pointed out that it's a completely dick move to take someone else's work, retain the name of that work, and just iterate the version number as though they did the first nine main releases. It also creates the problem of the original author ever revisiting the work he did to tweak something or add something and release the next version, because some assholes essentially already did that. It's not passed off as a fork, because it has the exact same name just with the next version number. You can't argue that's not complete bullshit, because it clearly is.

You don't have the high ground on that. The v10 guys are clearly in the wrong there.

Lord_Trashcan

Novice

Include Tacgnol

Do you think I care if you sit here pretending to be a victim? I don't give a fuck lol. You bring everything negative on yourself by acting like an asshole.

1. No one tough sits around on the internet "I would fucking destroy you kid", you legitimately type like you learned English from dragonball Z
2. No one tough runs and cries to admins the way you did. I actually sneezed orange juice out my nose when I read your schizo message you left in the admin group chat.
"I'm not crazy, why did you say I'm crazy?? You're crazy sick degenerate!!"
3. Finally, no one normal spends years making mods and having mental breakdown after mental breakdown. You're here coping and seething, crying. A few autists are taking your side which is fine. I'm convinced at least SomeGuyWithAnOpinion is your alt. The others maybe not.
SomeGuyWithAnOpinion isn't his alt, the fact that you're so delusional that you think someone calling out your bullshit claims (whether you wrote them or not doesn't matter as you straight up said you agreed with them) is Ash's alt is insane. You said I was his alt, you said SomeGuy was his alt, who's next?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom