Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Tyrr

Liturgist
Popularity aside, I'm not even convinced that Star Wars is a good setting for a Total War game.
In Star Wars, ground combat isn't that exiting, its all about fleet combat in space. In WH40K its the opposite. That could also explain why the development of the Star Wars game is much behind the WH40k one.
CA gave up on fleet combat long ago, they lost all the know-how and have to start from scratch.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Working on a star wars, 40k and ww1 game at the same time seems too much for CA, ffs weren't these the guys that couldn't even devote more then a skeleton crew to tw3, their main cash cow? And the whole studio got downsized recently?

Feels like trying to juggle too many things at once, i expect nothing except disappointment. Also predict they will all take place on single planets, would like to say no space combat but for SW at least feels they would make a token effort to include it somehow even if its basic af.

I fail to see how TW SW could be such a DLC treadmill. It has two factions, empire and rebels. If you do new shit SW it still has two factions just with less characters people like. If you do old republic star wars it has two factions. If you do prequel SW it has two factions. How much DLC can you sell with any of these time periods? Do they really think people will buy a whole DLC just to add Chewbacca to the game or something? At least with Warhammer and 40k you have dozens of different factions/races to churn out content for. Maybe if you really stretch the bounds of lore and logic you can include some extra factions like other SW games have but I still don't see how its anywhere near as good as TW with this.

I also dread to imagine how bad space combat will be, whether it comes in 40k or SW. The last time CA tried to do something new we got WH3 sieges.
Seeing recent TW trends, the answer lies in faction/lord packs.

I'd expect chewbacca and other star wars mains to be in the default game (making people pay extra to play luke skywalker and friends might work in f2p gacha titles but surely they wont have the balls to do it here, right?) but this still leaves no shortage of characters they can pluck from, whether it be from current disney shows or bringing back characters from the eu (mara jade), which would probably earn them enough nerd cred people will be sucked into getting it.

Groguu+ mandalorian dlc! Play as legendary leader mando with exclusive mandalorian units as he takes charge of the mando rebel faction! Mando units are heavy ranged infantry with jumpack ability giving them a movement speed bonus for 30 secs!
Ahsokha dlc! Ahsoka joins the rebellion leading the knights of ahsoka , complete with exclusive ahsoka rebels, ranged light infantry with a bonus against other ranged infantry.

If they throw in clone wars stuff they are set for life, there's like 99999 clone legions with their own colors and quirks like 40k sm chapters, along with their jedi generals. That's a lot of potential milking from SW nerds if they can sink their hooks into those.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The main problem with a Star Wars Total War is that there are only two factions. Troy already showed us it's not the best idea. They can come up with "LLs" from the Star Wars IP for forever, even just from the movies, so that's not an issue. Are there enough troop types to justify constant DLC milking, though? They can't just release "LLs" that start in a different part of the map, you'll have different starting locations from the very beginning when someone unlocks the minor factions to play as. From the popular mainstream franchises outside of WH40k, Forgotten Realms and A Song of Ice and Fire are the best candidates to turn into DLC-milking machines because there are enough factions for a free-for-all. Lord of the Rings also has the problem of being a good vs evil thing.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah from unit design standpoint it's one of the worst scifi settings you could pick. We mostly just see two different kinds of droids and stormtroopers in all the films. They have to start scraping the barrel instantly with tusken raiders, wookies and mandalorians if they want to go further than reskinning the same shit with different weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom