Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with fast progression?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Dungeons of Dredmor
This is a fantastically underrated game.

This looks like Robotron lol
You think Dredmor looks like Robotron? :?

Weird, also disagree both about how it looks and how it plays.

Now Vampire Survivors and all its knockoffs look like Robotron and ones like Halls of Torment can be set up to play like Robotron too, should you want that.

Couple screens look to have the bullethell feel. Smash TV also comes to mind.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dungeons of Dredmor

Now Vampire Survivors and all its knockoffs look like Robotron and ones like Halls of Torment can be set up to play like Robotron too, should you want that.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a turn based roguelike with a graphical UI on it by default.

ss_d9be6b09534450fc0e80e0a63dc8cc507ff88588.600x338.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/Dungeons_of_Dredmor/

Desiderius

Patron
Dungeons of Dredmor

Dungeons of Dredmor is a turn based roguelike with a graphical UI on it by default.

ss_d9be6b09534450fc0e80e0a63dc8cc507ff88588.600x338.jpg

Yes, I know. Just picked it up. If you watch the vid in the Steam store you’ll see rooms with like fifty mobs.

If you’re good at Robotron (and I was) it ends up being effectively a bullet hell with mobs as the bullets.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Yes, I know. Just picked it up. If you watch the vid in the Steam store you’ll see rooms with like fifty mobs.

If you’re good at Robotron (and I was) it ends up being effectively a bullet hell with mobs as the bullets.
Yeah, there are rooms like that.

Anyway, I get what you mean now.

Iucounu

Educated
ARK Survival Evolved levels up annoyingly often in the beginning, but after a while it starts to calm down.
I wouldn't say it's annoying so much as it's fairly crazy the stuff you don't know when you start off ARK. Thank God the progression is quick at the start so I can figure out how to make a pile of grass to sleep on.
I think the purpose is to quickly make players addicted to leveling. Otherwise the game could simply have let your character start with a few more basic skills.

Desiderius

Patron
The OG
(sorry luj1 for off-topic shenanigans)

Exactly. Never got good enough at it to get to bullet hell levels. I think the joystick was designed to be wonky to eat quarters. Almost as bad as the one on Venture.

Deadliest thing in Berserk was the walls, followed by the angry sun.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The OG
(sorry luj1 for off-topic shenanigans)

Exactly. Never got good enough at it to get to bullet hell levels. I think the joystick was designed to be wonky to eat quarters. Almost as bad as the one on Venture.

Deadliest thing in Berserk was the walls, followed by the angry sun.

Classic. I sucked at Berserk too but loved it. I'd actually forgotten about it until LB posted it here though.

Probably could've bought a car with all the money I dropped into arcades over the years. :lol:

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like reasonably fast progression. Don't like waiting forever for a level. It doesnt have to be Tales of Mah Eyal or Diablo, but something like ToEE, Wizardry 6-8 or MMX. So slightly faster than average, don't like slogs.
legends of amberland? it's pretty decent with some snappy progression. extremely might and magic-ish.

this janky shit right here i had a decent time with, also m&m and quick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom