Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Hagashager

Educated
I've played through PoE1 multiple times and I have never -- not once, not ever, not a single time -- even equipped two grimoires, let alone swapped between them.
Yes, in PoE  ONE.

You can learn spells in PoE 1 and add them to your own grimoire.

You cannot do that in PoE TWO. In the second game spells are locked to their specific grimoires. There're certain unique spells that are only in a specific grimoire. The closest you can get to learning new spells in PoE 2 is during level up you can make certain spells into special abilities.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Personally, i found the concept intriguing. I made a custom wizard character to keep in the inn with very low combat stats that is pretty much my personal "scholar" from which Aloth can learn some spells. I also have an enemy grimoire around since i don't have a lot gold to spend so i figured if i want to use the spells (before i get Aloth to learn it latern on) i can switch around before combat.

I don't know how useful this is once you have enough gold to just make Aloth learn all the spells but it's an interesting mechanic that adds a bit of realism if anything.

Hagashager

Educated
You're missing the point, though IHaveHugeNick has been enough of an insulting jackass with me in this thread I'm convinced he's deliberately playing dumb to piss me off.

Finding unique spells isn't the problem. Being forced to use multiple grimoires in battle is. It'd be neat to find unique spells in the overworld that you can copy to your own book.

That's how it works in the first game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Soy: spend hours carefully picking the best grimoire for each fight
Goy: annihilate basically every endgame encounter with one cast of empowered Witling Wind and move on

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The system isn't complex enough for it to force you to use more than 1 grimoire. Most spells are worthless.
This is the actual problem. Out of all the casters, mages have (astonishingly) the worst catalog of spells. Many of their spells seem to be aimed at causing status effects, which unfortunately pales in comparison to just doing a shitload of damage. This is why druids are a better casting class. It almost always makes more sense to do more damage rather than to try to inflict various, usually underwhelming, status effects like sickened, blinded, etc. Some of these things are helpful in the beginning of the game, and they can be useful for stacking status effects if you're relying on sneak attacks/death blows but overall, they don't make much sense.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember quite the opposite.
I mean druids sure were good, particularly at stacking damage over time. And best at healing. But noone could nuke quite like a wizard when he needed/wanted to.
Try Combusting Wounds with Blunderbusses, concussive missiles, walls, rays and other rapid firing attacks, maybe?
Nothing melts enemies like that AFAIR.
Or get the Shadowflame from White March: awesome nuke AND CC in 1 spell. Freezing Pillar should be good too, AFAIR.

Plus neat summons, great self-buffs and yeah, CC/debuffs too (though ciphers were better at this, I believe).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on the status effect, blinded is actually a very good one because it allows you to do more damage more quickly and receive less damage in return. Another bonkers broken spell which isn't straight up damage is Combusting Wounds. But otherwise yeah, there are very few spells which are worth using.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, taking a couple of custom NPCs was the best thing i could have done. It has made the early game a lot easier but also much more entertaining over all and less frustrating. Even with the intentionally gimped stats the barbarian has been great help, just standing behind my pally and Eder with a pike and hitting multiple enemies with carnage and at this low stage i'm also getting some milage out of the rogue though i think later on it won't be as easy to move around and position him for flanking or sneak attacks and shit like that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've found rogues very underwhelming in PoE1. Extremely squishy - and the dead don't deal any damage.

In PoE2 with multiclassing available to shore up weaknesses however...

Btw. try to buy the Tall Grass pike ASAP - if you haven't already.

ColonelMace

Novice
Was there a soulbound pike in either game ? I can't remember of any but it might be due to me never playing with this weapon.
Edit. After a quick check on the wiki, there was none.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, Rogue's are much better in second game, probably funniest shit I've done in Deadfire was high Int Streetfighter/Cipher with Blunderbuss modal on. Applies rogue debuffs in an AOE, stacks Cipher debuffs on top and still does massive damage because debuffs increase sneak attacks.

But yeah ultimately damage is king because bosses typically have immunities and you hardly need to stack status effects to beat regular trash mobs.

AshenNedra

Novice
I remember quite the opposite.
I mean druids sure were good, particularly at stacking damage over time. And best at healing. But noone could nuke quite like a wizard when he needed/wanted to.
Try Combusting Wounds with Blunderbusses, concussive missiles, walls, rays and other rapid firing attacks, maybe?
Nothing melts enemies like that AFAIR.
Or get the Shadowflame from White March: awesome nuke AND CC in 1 spell. Freezing Pillar should be good too, AFAIR.

Plus neat summons, great self-buffs and yeah, CC/debuffs too (though ciphers were better at this, I believe).

AOE, stacks Cipher debuffs on top and still does massive damage because debuffs increase sneak attacks.

But yeah ultimately damage is king because bosses typically have immunities and you hardly need to stack status effects to beat regular trash mobs.

The gameplay for a Wizard - in POE1 PoTD upscaled - went as described below, in my last playthrough (5.0).

First, you wait for the mandatory accuracy buffs from the priest, and for the engagement to be concentrated in one place by using the tank(s).

Once this is done, you start casting:
(i) expose vulnerabilities;
(ii) Slick, confusion or petrify, depending on the enemies' lower defenses and immunities, and then, and only then;
(iii) direct damage spells on the remaining foes.

Usually, by using such rotation, the fight is well on his way to victory, so you simply let the AI finish the job, by using auto-attack with a good weapon.

If needed, some uses of the higher level damaging spells on Petrified/heavily debuffed enemies to nuke them can be crucial for a hard fight, indeed.

Should you need to distract the opponent with more targets: cast Summon Tentacles. This a rare case: hard bounties and dragons, mostly.

If a mage/priest is being a nuisance, i.e. not dead by then (Concelhaut mostly): use Arcane Dampener.

That's it.

And, of course, the single most important thing is to remember to focus fire all party damage on one enemy at a time, starting with the spellcasters (druid, mage, priest, in that order), folks.

Like in every RPG/game that I know of.

Now that I think of it, should enemy AI use such simple tactics in every fight against you, I don't think games would be beatable,like, at all.

ferratilis

Magister
Was there a soulbound pike in either game ? I can't remember of any but it might be due to me never playing with this weapon.
Edit. After a quick check on the wiki, there was none.
Sadly, pikes are criminally overlooked, despite being such a cool weapon. PoE1 has Tall Grass, PoE2 doesn't have any that stand out. Josh fucked up on this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom