Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview with Gavin

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion; Gavin Carter

Another <a href=http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=4578>Oblivion interview</a>, courtesy of <a href=http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=4578>Jolt</a>, that looks like a cut-n-paste job. The interview features <b>Gavin Carter</b> and same old "trust us, it will be awesome" info. Memorable quotes:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Hindsight is always 20/20, and I could certainly pick apart Morrowind’s flaws. But at the end of the day, Morrowind was a critical and commercial success...</blockquote>Couldn't have described Oblivion better myself
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I think it’s fair to say that a game involving a demonic horde invasion qualifies as a dark game</blockquote>I think it's fair to say that 9 out of 10 fantasy games feature a demonic horde invasion.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>However, with Morrowind I think we saw that our kind of game appeals to a wider audience, given the game’s success among more casual gamers who are neither “hardcore” nor “RPG geeks.” It turns out people like the kind of options and freedom we give them, and the pretty graphics don’t hurt either. </blockquote>More like, they like pretty graphics, and don't mind an occasional choice or two.
<br>
<br>
Some comic relief quotes:
<br>
<blockquote>Horses grant you a nice speed boost, as well as really help capture that feel of being a knight riding around on horseback.
<br>
<br>
But let’s face it - when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you’re talking about bows.</blockquote>I guess it's still to early to release any details, besides, why spoiling the game? It's awesome, what else do you need to know?
<br>
<br>
<br>

kathode

Novice
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
I guess it's still to early to release any details, besides, why spoiling the game? It's awesome, what else do you need to know?
I completed that interview on 5/13/2005 and it originally appeared on totalvideogames.com shortly thereafter.

It is pretty awesome though :D

RuySan

Augur
I was just a while ago playing Morrowind, and most of my armour had disappeared... It's the second time it happens...i will not play this piece of **** again

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
But let’s face it - when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you’re talking about bows.

Ok, that quote gets the "Most Retarded Quote Ever" award for 2005.

Gwendo

Augur
I think they should worry more about pleaseing the hardcore rpg gamers or rpg geeks.

Casual players might casually buy the game. Hardcore rpg geek will buy the game, if they like it.

Of course, many harcore/rpg geeks will get the game, even if they don't like it.

(Noticed how I said "get", instead of "buy").

Mech

Cipher
Why did you post ancient news for? I thought the main page was for recent news.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jolt posted that as yesterday's interview. It looked familiar to me, but I didn't care enough to compare it with every other interview ever posted.

Nice signature, you should start a petition.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Claw said:
What are Piranha Bytes up to? When will Gothic 3 really be released?
The current edition of a German magazine called Gamestar contains a preview of the game. They visited Piranha Bytes only to find out that there was no playable version of the game for them to see. "Es gibt kein Spiel. Es gibt nur Ideen von einem Spiel". ("There's no game (yet). There are only ideas for the game"). I wouldn't expect G3 to be released before 2006 Summer holidays.

edit: yeah, my respect and all, but the quote about bows is one of the most retarded things I've read recently.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
kathode said:
But let’s face it - when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you’re talking about bows.

So Fallout and Arcanum aren't RPGs. I hope you are not part of the design process for Fallout 3 kathode, ;).

We know what you meant to say, it just came out wrong. At least that's what I'll tell myself. :D

vazquez595654

Arbiter
"VD, quit your job on the Codex staff and stab yourself in the face with a rusty fork."

You went as far as to use that as your signature. You're a sick fuck.

I come here instead of the elderscrolls forum because no one there can take any criticism about the game. Even a good argument gets responses like," maybe the elderscrolls is not for you."

Yeah...maybe they are fucking it up (meaning console-IZE-ING) and you're to amazed by the graphics to realize it. Basic fucking gameplay mechanics and balance issues get thrown out the window and what I like to call, "THE BIG THREE" get all the attention; Radiant AI, Graphics, and Combat.

Are they sell outs? Of course they are.
Would I do the same thing in their position? Of course I would.
Will Oblivion sell like crazy. Of course it will.
And will the next one be on PC? I'm not sure. We'll have to get the numbers from the marketing department to see if it's worth it.

"I'm sorry Harry Hardcore, but business is business."

Tintin

Arbiter
I would be a lot happier knowing a lot of people played and enjoyed the game I spent time and time creating, then knowing a few guys living in their parent's basement loved it.

Mech

Cipher

How exactly does one become a sell out when the whole point of their entire company was, and ever will be, to sell things?

And about my signature, thank, thank you very much.

I would be a lot happier knowing a lot of people played and enjoyed the game I spent time and time creating, then knowing a few guys living in their parent's basement loved it.

Ya, exactly. No one cares about the basement freaks, and with good reason.

obediah

Erudite
kathode said:

I never played that faggy magic game. But if they made a bat-shit, fucktard "I'm so talented and in touch with gaming that I keep my head buried in my talent infected ass for new ideas" game developer booster pack, this would be one of those cards you wrapped in 40 layers of acid free baggies and only get out of the safe for circle jerks. Those punks with their Bradley and Specter cards would be running home to mommy if I pulled this out.

Oh wait a minute. I will love Oblivion. It is the RPG I've been waiting for. I always thought I wanted a living world where interesting shit was going down that my decisions could affect in interesting ways. I was wrong, I really want bumple-maxled erosion effects with RAI driven silt migration. And I will play it on X-Box 360, and there will be much rejoicing.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
vazquez595654 said:

Reminds me of "I listened to N'Sync when they were still underground!"
Sorry, but the B-boys can't sell out. Whey were "sold" from the beginning kinda like Britney Spears.
In fact "Oblivion - Oops, we did it again" sounds about right..

Twinfalls

Erudite
copx said:
Reminds me of "I listened to N'Sync when they were still underground!"
Sorry, but the B-boys can't sell out. Whey were "sold" from the beginning kinda like Britney Spears.
In fact "Oblivion - Oops, we did it again" sounds about right..

Oh come off it. Complete, utter rot. Go and play Arena and Daggerfall and tell me they're Britney games. Even Morrowind for that matter. Let's keep some perspective here or we lose all credibility for our well-reasoned vitriol .

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Daggerfall is a niche title, as is Morrowind. It isn't a "pop" game with mass market appeal, and there's no reason to think that Oblivion will be any different. Don't confuse Mario and CounterStrike with Daggerfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom