Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion article in a European mag

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
An overview of the article was posted on the official forums

hi all,
i just bought the new xbox magazine (netherlands) of this month, and it had oblivion on the cover smile.gif and a 6 page preview
im not going to typ it all over, otherwise im still busy typing tomorrow (looking up words and things tongue.gif)

okej about the preview:
the intro isn't very interesting, it tells about the dungeon bethesda is working in:P
the first thing is about the beginning, the many way's you can escape the prison (Steal the key from guard walking by, lock pick the lock, start fighting and kick their all a$$'s. These are the ways mentoned), and how that effects your way of playing (but you can change all of that later)
the second thing is about the enviorment. leaves floating on the wind, birds whissling(sp?). next is the compas. todd explained that the compas is to help players find dungeons and other things worth looking at. todd also explaines that they put it in because the reason why so many players stopped playing morrowind, was because they didn't know what to do with the enormous map.
then todd walks to one of the big city's. he shows the life of the NPC's (but we allready know about that). he gives an example of when he was fighting another npc, he ran away. todd thought that was a bug, but before he could write it down, the npc came back with a bigger sword!! how about that for intelligence huh
todd then tells about how the city lives and sleeps, that shops actually close at night, and that you'll have to leave the shop when it closes.

the next map is the ruined city, not much told about that, some fights and the hell port that todd doesn't want to go in: "thats something you'll have to explore in the full game".

when they are back in the city, todd is told by a journalist to attack a guard. todd smashed his blade against the guard, another guard runs to him and asks: jail or keep fighting. todd chooses the first one:"keep fighting is suicide, guards are strong, really strond".
they land in jail, and another journalist tells todd to smack the other prissoner. the other prisonner falls, stands up, tries to walk away, but knowing that won't work, he fights back, but then gets smacked unconcious. todd gets 1 hand to hand skill point.(thats the way things work in oblivion)
you can escape in many ways, but you can also do your time(yo can speed up time, but your skilles will be affected. so you'll have to train again, but then you shouldn't smack the guard without reason wink.gif

the next 2 pages is about the developement, about speedtree and the map creation, but we allready know that

Then there are 4 new screenshots:

Screenshot 1: the first screenshot shows a fishvillage, with boats and a building with a sign, i think its a hotel or something.the boat looks awsome, with ropes and the crowsnest. the city/village looks peacefull, i sure would like to pay a visit to that place.

Screenshot 2: the second screenshot shows 2 skeleton warriors with axes, and the hero(probably redguard, because of his black/brown hands) wields dark blue coloured sword with golden markings. i think its somewhere outside of a tower or castle

Screenshot 3: The third screenshot shows a guard i think, with his weapon drawn. behind him is a statue and some germanbuild house(you know what i mean, a bit like the houses in sheyda neen, but then with stone roof). on his big shield stands a logo, i think its from the city he is in(my guess) nice feature is the light that is reflected by the sword

Screenshot 4: The last screenshot. this one shows a hellgate with red sky and on front a clanfear. its looks like great teath looking thing point out of the ground.

that was it, i hope its usefull smile.gif

EDIT: oops forgot to tell about the abillity to buy houses in several city's, and you CAN decorate them smile.gif

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
OXM isn't a German magazine. There's something like 9 magazines out in Europe right now with cover stories about Oblivion, along with OXM in the US. VD's post is talking about one of the German articles.

Drakron

Arcane
I know (I am european), I had the misfortune of buying it for demos 2 times, once the portuguese edition and once the UK edition.

It sucks, the degree of XBox fanboysish (with open attacks to the PS2) and the overall hyping make me make sure I would never see buy such magazine on a semi-regular basis.

corvax

Augur
I like the stuff about the beginning, having multiple solutions is always a plus. Hopefully this is more than just a catchy start like Morrowind's Sedya Nyen (sp?) and the trend continues throughout the game.

Human Shield

Augur
Multiple solution thing was nice, best real element I've heard about the game. We'll find out if it becomes a fight-fest later on like many other games.

todd also explaines that they put it in because the reason why so many players stopped playing morrowind, was because they didn't know what to do with the enormous map.

No, it is because you find out that there is nothing to do with the enormous map.

Briosafreak

Augur
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
OXM isn't a German magazine. There's something like 9 magazines out in Europe right now with cover stories about Oblivion, along with OXM in the US. VD's post is talking about one of the German articles.

And in one of them, the one i usually read, there´s a mention of a room full of Fallout3 concept art, when will you show it to us? :)

kris

Arcane
Briosafreak said:
And in one of them, the one i usually read, there´s a mention of a room full of Fallout3 concept art, when will you show it to us? :)

they need to prepare themself mentaly for the flaming. Of course they always have their own fan forum to satisfy themself on in that case. ;)

Zli

Novice
angler said:
I still want to know why I can't turn off the compass. Why, Bethesda, why?

Oh come on, that one's easy. Tech support would get swamped with people who accidentally turned it off.

As for mark & recall, I don't remember ever needing it in Morrowind, but Daggerfall without it would've been :? . Oh well, as long as there's divine intervention...

(yay, first post)

Zli

Novice
Well, there was definitely something you cast in front of whoever gave you the quest, and then again in the dungeon to teleport back. But now that you mention it, it did have some other name... ummm... nope, can't remember. It was there, though.

edit: Was it just 'teleport'? They probably changed it to m&r 'cause casting the same spell for two different things could get a bit confusing.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Who needs Mark & Recall when you can access the travel map instantly?

You know, besides "riding faster", I think it'd be best if they made it so that the only way you can access the travel map is if you have a horse first. Otherwise, what's the point?

I'd like to see saddlebags, too, so I can store my herbs, but sadly there's been absolutely no mention of that.

Zli

Novice
Sol Invictus said:
Who needs Mark & Recall when you can access the travel map instantly?
Uh, so you could get out of the dungeon? But as I said, with divine intervention or something similar it shouldn't be a problem. And dungeons in Oblivion will probably be a bit simpler than Df.

You know, besides "riding faster", I think it'd be best if they made it so that the only way you can access the travel map is if you have a horse first. Otherwise, what's the point?
Time will still pass while in fast travel, so if there are timed quests, or you have poison/disease on you, having a horse will prolly make a difference.

I'd like to see saddlebags, too, so I can store my herbs, but sadly there's been absolutely no mention of that.
Yeah :( Or a cart...

Drakron

Arcane
It was mark and recall, I remenber because I used it on the entry of the dungeon so when I got lost I could always find the way out.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Actually I think there might be. I know I've seen some instances where questgivers'll say stuff along the lines of "It's North-East of the Imperial City," or "His home is in this section of the city near the Guild of Mages," so it's certainly possible that info might be in the journal text as well. There's certainly nothing stopping that from happening.

Drakron

Arcane
Except someone being lazy and say "what the heck, there is the compass anyway".

Look I have nothing against the compass and map indicators, I play WoW and half the time I am pissed as hell with broken directons and lack of a map marker saying were I sould go.

However the map SOULD be the last resort, quest sould have clear indications and directions.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
angler, the red quest pointer clamps to the edge of the compass if it's not within the arc the compass represents. So it could be behind you, you just turn until the direction it's pointing to is within the visible arc and it moves left & right as you'd expect.

Chefe

Erudite
hello world

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom