Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A "mission statement" for this site please ?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
What is the purpose of this site ?

Or to put it in a more aggresive way is this site going to be a clone of rpgdot with the key difference of different staff ( say Calis instead of Rendelius as an example ) or its going to be something different :?:

Some other questions

Is this site a place for all RPG or for hard - core rpg only ?

Is this site just ( news + forum ) or is it going to have something else ?

If it is going to have something else also can you tell us what ?

Are you open to suggestions or have you decided already ?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
chrisbeddoes said:
What is the purpose of this site ?

To cement a larger power base for my plot for WORLD DOMINATION.

Or to put it in a more aggresive way is this site going to be a clone of rpgdot with the key difference of different staff ( say Calis instead of Rendelius as an example ) or its going to be something different :?:

No. RPGDot covers anything remotely like an RPG, including MMORPGs, console RPGs, and even Warcraft 3.

We're just covering, for the most part, CRPGs for the PC.

Some other questions

Is this site a place for all RPG or for hard - core rpg only ?

For the most part, yeah.

Is this site just ( news + forum ) or is it going to have something else ?

So.. You missed my Geneforge review and Avernum 3 first look? Shame on you.

If it is going to have something else also can you tell us what ?

Yes, we will.. And we like to surprise you.

Are you open to suggestions or have you decided already ?

Suggest away.

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
We've no desire to compete with RPGDot's massive flurry of MegaNewsâ„¢. The intention is to apply a greater focus on opinionated editorials, information on more obscure little non-mainstream titles and generally inform the washed and unwashed masses on what's what in the RPG world by providing an outlet for the hopefully not entirely unfounded and/or unentertaining views and opinions of the site staff.

Of course, since we're just starting off and much of the staff (like myself) aren't dedicating quite as much time as the Powers That Be would prefer, these things are not entirely evident. But we're getting there, with baby steps and all that.

. . . Err . . . oh dear senior staff, I did get that right, right? :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I do however believe that we should perhaps cover some turn based games as well, since they are, for the most part, not given much attention in the gaming community.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Yes reader reviews would be cool but only if they did not appear instantly.

Like we submit them to you and you decide if they can be published.

With clearly defined critiria .

Like as an example

a) 100 -200 words
b) No bad language
c) No spellling errors pz :twisted:
d) Discuss Graphics,Gameplay, and blah blah
( A "prototype" review by you would be helpfull)

Thats all.

edit

A form to submit it would be extremely usefull also .

Like Gameplay goes there form checks if it is more than
100 chars or over than 200 chars and gets error ,
graphicks goes there score goes there blah blah

Of course i would also like it if i could press a make
coffe button somewhere in your page and then a
hand could come out of the screen go to my kitchen
and make me some coffee. Can you do that ? :wink: :mrgreen:

/edit

Deathy

Liturgist
I'd prefer generalised discussion, but Exitium had his heart set on that Lionheart forum.
Really, at the moment, I think the forums we have are sufficient, in the future, when we get a lot more users, we may have to categorise a bit more.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Reader reviews would be nice. I'll have to talk to Calis about that. I don't think it'd be all that difficult to do.

Chadeo

Liturgist
Suggestion

I really enjoy the news/reviews on the non mainstream games. For the mainstream games it has been nice to get some honest reviews of them, but I have gotten more out of the exposure to the non mainstream games.

So I guess my suggestion is to make sure you do not get all bogged down in reviewing all the mainstream games that have 100 other reviews for them already.

The interviews you have done have also been great. As have the articles you have gotten some of the Big Names to write. It just feels a lot more intimate and real, and not just a glorified advertisement.

Rosh

Erudite
I'd say those are both important.

Displayingthe often hidden games and developers, such as Spiderweb is just as important as giving an objective, truthful, and above all - NON-funded review/critique of the mainstream games. We're not about to be bought off to give a good review by having a free game sent to us to review along with some PR spin dreck that we're expected to regurgitate like the cattle at GameSpy often do.

Both together gives a very good view of those who try and give a good contribution to a genre that sees very little innovation except in a few cases (and even less when D&D is involved), and a different look at the mainstream. Hopefully, it will be to give people a good idea of what to look for to have a good role-playing exprience, rather than buying something labeled an RPG and finding out it's mostly ROLL-playing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Suggestion

Chadeo said:
I really enjoy the news/reviews on the non mainstream games. For the mainstream games it has been nice to get some honest reviews of them, but I have gotten more out of the exposure to the non mainstream games.

So I guess my suggestion is to make sure you do not get all bogged down in reviewing all the mainstream games that have 100 other reviews for them already.

The interviews you have done have also been great. As have the articles you have gotten some of the Big Names to write. It just feels a lot more intimate and real, and not just a glorified advertisement.

I'm not sure if you'd call it mainstream or not, but Prince of Qin is a pretty decent commercial CRPG. The single player is loaded with quests, both combat and otherwise. The multiplayer is a little more like Diablo, only with random quests. It'll get your action groove on while tickling your gray matter.

It's a horribly underrated CRPG, frankly, and often misunderstood.

Another reason to review and post about mainstream games is that we have to use those to actually draw people in. Of course, we also do it with a little bit of opinion as well. If we don't cover the mainstream, we can't point out what we don't like about it. We also cover the less known games as well, and talk about the pros and cons of those as well.

Mistress

Liturgist
Re: Suggestion

Saint_Proverbius said:
Another reason to review and post about mainstream games is that we have to use those to actually draw people in. Of course, we also do it with a little bit of opinion as well. If we don't cover the mainstream, we can't point out what we don't like about it. We also cover the less known games as well, and talk about the pros and cons of those as well.

Exactly - we can't talk about what's wrong with NWN unless we cover it in some way! :twisted:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Saint_Proverbius said:
No. RPGDot covers anything remotely like an RPG, including MMORPGs, console RPGs, and even Warcraft 3.

Hm …

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Saint_Proverbius said:

Hm …

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Saint_Proverbius said:

Hm …

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Saint_Proverbius said:

Hm …

Edit: what the fuck just happened here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom