Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sol Invictus is excited about Radiant AI! IRC log ahoy

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
<aweigh> OH MY FUCKING GOD
<aweigh> LYNDA CARTER IS DOING VO IN OBLIVION
<aweigh> I was wondering when they were going to insert even more RPG love in there and now there it is
<Vacorsis`> Wonder Woman?
<aweigh> Can you just FUCKING IMAGE for ONE fucking second how incredibly stupidly sweetly AWESOME it will be to traipse through a REAL TIME MULTI 3D FOREST VIRTUAL REALITY WORLD with PATRICK FUCKING STEWART and LYNDA CARTER talking to you and telling you how awesome THE SOIL EROSION IS
<aweigh> JESUS FUCKING H CHRIST MY MIND IS FUCKING BLOWN
<Vacorsis`> There's soil erosion in Oblivion?
<Vacorsis`> And Patrick Stewart?
<Vacorsis`> When does this game come out? I need it now.
<aweigh> FUCK YESSSSS
<aweigh> Lynda Carter is gonna be the NPC that teaches you how to farm
<aweigh> seeing as how the only possible use SOIL EROSION would have in an RPG would be for farming
<aweigh> I mean, Bethesda is so fucking awesome i don't doubt they implemented it just for that because otherwise IT WOULD BE FUCKING STUPID
<Vacorsis`> Where do they talk about soil erosion?
<aweigh> in their PR site: www.rpgcodex.com
<Vacorsis`> I don't really see how they'd use soil erosion, but it sounds interesting
anyways.
<SolInvictus> Soil erosion is just a mapping feature.
<SolInvictus> It's not a feature of the game.
<aweigh> JUST THINK OF THE MODDING POSSIBILITIES!
<aweigh> OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
<SolInvictus> Dude.
<SolInvictus> STFU
<aweigh> dude
<aweigh> LYNDA CARTER
<SolInvictus> Wonder Woman?
<aweigh> yes, she is doing VO for Oblivion
<aweigh> because Bethesda caters to the hard-core RPG niche
<Vacorsis`> She was Wonder Woman in an old TV series, like from the 1970s.
<Vacorsis`> I only know this because I just googled it.
<aweigh> and you can't have that without Lynda Carter
<SolInvictus> I dont think I've ever seen it.
<aweigh> jesus fucking christ how old are you that you don't know who lynda carter is?
<aweigh> she is still beautiful, even in her late fifties
<Vacorsis`> I've heard of her, but I've never seen Wonder Woman.
<SolInvictus> Is she a MYLF?
<aweigh> she was recently in Sky High and before that in Super Troopers
<aweigh> and she's also in Dukes of Hazzard
<aweigh> she is the definition of a milf
<Vacorsis`> http://www.comicbookhotties.com/images/ ... carter.jpg
<aweigh> AND NOW SHE WILL BE IN OBLIVION
<SolInvictus> Damn, she looked good.
<aweigh> BUCKLE UP BECAUSE THAT RPG IS TAKING YOU FOR A RIDE!
<aweigh> i can just picture her NPC, modeled after her in a wonder woman outfit, teaching me to plant flowers in the correctly eroding soil and watching my labors of love bloom!
<aweigh> and then eating my own produce and adventuring on my horse due to the unbelievable RADIANT AI which will make NPC's talk to me and make me dinner
<Rhonlore> Im going to bed now... finished a chapter in DS2 :p
<SolInvictus> good stuff
<SolInvictus> cya rhon
<Rhonlore> Late
<aweigh> i mean that is 100% rpg right there
<SolInvictus> Oblivion is going to sell on its own merits.
<SolInvictus> Patrick Stewart is just a bonus for the fans
<aweigh> after you finish planting you get to play as Patrick Stewart's character for a brief scene where he locks himself up in a bathroom and starts bawling during a Star Trek
convention until Leonard Nimoy coaxes him out with a beautiful bardic song
<SolInvictus> It adds a rich element to the game.
<Vacorsis`> You sound awfully excited, aweigh.
<aweigh> INDEED IT DOES!
<aweigh> how could you not be excited about the BESTEST RPG EVAH
<aweigh> it's got
<aweigh> SOIL
<aweigh> EROSION
<Vacorsis`> I'm excited.
<Vacorsis`> But not for soil erosion
<SolInvictus> I'm pretty excited over Oblivion.
<aweigh> i mean not even fallout let you play as patricks stewart!
<Vacorsis`> Which I've never read about anywhere, I must say.
<SolInvictus> It's going to be a good title.
<SolInvictus> don't you think so Scaper?
<aweigh> dude don't you visit Bethesda's PR site, www.rpgcodex.com ? it's all there
<Scaper-X> Heh, you could say that.
<SolInvictus> No aweigh.
<aweigh> they even made a nice little thread that counted all the features!
<Vacorsis`> I've never been to RPGCodex
<SolInvictus> I have no intention of reading VD's bullshit.
<SolInvictus> gg fake interviews
<Vacorsis`> I haven't read too much about the game, so why don't you fill me in, aweigh.
<aweigh> Vacorsis did you play Morrowind?
<Vacorsis`> Why is the AI so special they give it it's own name?
<Vacorsis`> I have.
<SolInvictus> It's emergent AI.
<aweigh> well forget everything you knew about MOrrowind
<SolInvictus> Meaning it's not like preprogrammed.
<SolInvictus> It's self-evolving AI.
<aweigh> Oblivion is now an action-rpg like Dungeon Lords
<SolInvictus> It sees new situations and compensates for it.
<aweigh> there are no stats involved, only clicking and WASD-dodging like in Unreal
<SolInvictus> That's why it's incredible.
<aweigh> their new Radiant AI is considered to be smarter than the mercs in half-life 1 and far cry combined! it makes for the ultimate FPs experience
<Percolator_Fish> sounds great
<aweigh> and you have patrick stewart giving you mission advice through your codec
constantly
<Percolator_Fish> what fps
<aweigh> Percolator_Fish: Oblivion
<Vacorsis`> Well that sounds great, aweigh.
<aweigh> when he says, "MAKE IT SO!" it means you have to watch the soil erode
<Percolator_Fish> why are you shitting out of your mough aweigh
<aweigh> in fact you start out in a prison cell and the only way to break out is to wait for the soil to erode!
<aweigh> INNUVATIAN!
<Percolator_Fish> that sounds fun
<Percolator_Fish> can you pace around your cell?
<Vacorsis`> Incredibly.
<Vacorsis`> Oh yes, can you? That would just be breaking boundaries.
<aweigh> yes, in fact pacing gives you bonuses to your soil erosion skill
<aweigh> you have to make it a major tho
<Vacorsis`> Well I'm pre-ordering the game right now, then.
<aweigh> of course you are! i already have two, one of which Patrick Stewart gave me
himself because if you chant his names 5 times in front of a mirror he appears
<Vacorsis`> SolInvictus, do you have any examples?
<SolInvictus> Well okay, in regular AI you have to create a solution for every situation,
or the AI wont know what to do.
<aweigh> haha don't listen to SolInvictus's lies! remember that Bethesda implemented the complicated level-up system found in Unreal Tournament and now you can fire 3 rocket-arrows at once with the UDAMAGE power-up

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
He really thinks "Radiant AI" is going to evolve? From what I've read about it it sounds like scheduling like in Ultima 7 or Gothic. Just with a fancy name.

corvax

Augur
Dumb post and a weak jab at Sol Invictus. Radiant AI does sound exciting no matter what some narrow minded people say. It sparked my curiousity in terms of its capability and it defenitely is a right step for Bethesda.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Soil erosion jokes never get old.

They're humour just erodes with time!

AHAH! Get it? Get it? Erode? AHAHAHAH

HHHAAA

HAHAHA

Ha.

Atrokkus

Erudite
The topic name is retarded. Sol is excited. Okay, so? I mean, is that a jab or what? If so, then it's a failure.

On radian-AI: I think it might be quite good, actaully. But I'm surely not really excited or such.
I still want Gothic3 much more than Oblivion.

Astromarine

Erudite
hmm. Trying WAY too hard. This has nothing to do with Sol, it's just you repeating the same joke over and over again, ONE instance of which was funny ( in fact you start out in a prison cell and the only way to break out is to wait for the soil to erode!). Sol is simply stating his opinion on the game (at least this week's opinion), so you just decided to use his name to try to start a ganknfest in this thread. Why I don't know, considering it's your first post here.

No point, no class, no fun. Nice try though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
<SolInvictus> It's emergent AI.
<aweigh> well forget everything you knew about MOrrowind
<SolInvictus> Meaning it's not like preprogrammed.
<SolInvictus> It's self-evolving AI.
<aweigh> Oblivion is now an action-rpg like Dungeon Lords
<SolInvictus> It sees new situations and compensates for it.
<aweigh> there are no stats involved, only clicking and WASD-dodging like in Unreal
<SolInvictus> That's why it's incredible.

Someone is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. It may not be "scripted", but it's definitely pre-programmed. It's basically an AI that reacts to weights on various characteristics. Bob the lumberjack works doing physical activity, so Bob gets hungry after a certain point, goes and gets a sandwich, and then returns to work because there's still day light. That's what we're talking about here.

Now, if Bethesda were actually doing something cool, the NPCs would generate quests for the players. For example, Bob the lumberjack goes to work but some goblins, seeing an axe and knowing it's a weapon, steals that axe. Then Bob runs back to town to get some help because he can't cut trees while the goblins have his axe. Then Bob can give the player a quest to get his axe back. See, that would be cool. It would be the spontaneous generation of things for the player to do based on the AI in the world.. But that's nothing close to what Bethesda is doing. That would require a lot more work and would rule out making everything voice acted.

Why actually make something cool when you can just hype the fuck out of something mundane and get people to think it's cooler than it actually is?

Astromarine

Erudite
well, it's already quite cool that the basis exists. Anything more than that is basically depedent on the scope of behaviour that the devs program in it. That stuff you mentioned SHOULD be possible with the current implementation, if I read it correctly. All it needs if for the stealing NPC to have a need for a weapon, and the lumberjack having a pressing need of that weapon as a basis to get money to supply all his other needs. All it's missing is for a way for NPCs to choose as a way to act on their needs "ask the players for it as a quest". Once that is in, the player could even be asked by the original goblins to get the weapon for them in the first place!

It all depends on how Beth chooses to use it. Once it is developed and refined, we could actually see a true successor of Daggerfall with the huge world and all these emergent quests in it. Of course, Beth would first want to make that, instead of using RAI for dog-burning purposes on demo videos. Time shall tell, but it IS a promising feature, for mods if for nothing else.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Now, if Bethesda were actually doing something cool, the NPCs would generate quests for the players.

Why actually make something cool when you can just hype the fuck out of something mundane and get people to think it's cooler than it actually is?

Exactly. If Bethesda were doing this time what Todd Howard promised with Morrowind - to quote:

"we're gonna do what Daggerfall would have been if technical limitations weren't an issue"

-they'd be doing procedural quests but based on exactly the next level of sophistication that you have described above. However, as we know Todd thinks this of Daggerfall (actual quote):

"tons of procedurally generated garbage"

- we know that we will never get a game that builds on the great innovations and vision of that work. It looks like since brilliant men like Ted Peterson and Julian LeFay are no longer with Bethesda, we will get nothing but more hype, and more adventure games masquerading as RPGs, games whose only remaining RPG virtue are the world and history written up by Ted Peterson et al from the days of Arena and Daggerfall.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Or, upon reading Astro's post, maybe I'm an unduly cynical whinger. I suppose it makes sense that the technology is developed for fully-fledged emergent quests before a game is made with them. And I guess that since Beth appear to listen to their audience's clamour, its a real possibility that a real next-gen Daggerfall might eventually make an appearance.

But it's clear Oblivion won't be it, and there was still no excuse for the backwards direction they went with Morrowind in every aspect, and despite all their hype.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am interested, but far from excited. We haven't really heard anything specific about the capabilities of this AI. The vague descriptions could be applied to the AI in Unreal (Tournament).

Human Shield

Augur
Saint_Proverbius said:
Someone is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. It may not be "scripted", but it's definitely pre-programmed. It's basically an AI that reacts to weights on various characteristics. Bob the lumberjack works doing physical activity, so Bob gets hungry after a certain point, goes and gets a sandwich, and then returns to work because there's still day light. That's what we're talking about here.

I think it is less then that.

They program a daily event schedule and they act it out with whats around them.

He doesn't get hungry because he worked, he gets hungry because the "hungry" function is put into that time slot. When he gets tired and goes to sleep, the "sleep" function was put into the evening time slot by a developer.

It is nice because something like "get food" will have them try different souces that aren't scripted but if you take his axe he mite just wander around forever looking for one or one respawns with him (maybe it repspawns when he goes to a store).

If the player character doesn't need food, I dought you will see any NPCs strave to death, they mite try to steal something but I think that would only be for the one with "steal" code in them that steal every day.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
aweigh said:
<aweigh> they even made a nice little thread that counted all the features!
<Vacorsis`> I've never been to RPGCodex
<SolInvictus> I have no intention of reading VD's bullshit.
That's the funniest thing about my preview. People read and go "that's bs". Exactly. Considering that the preview is just a collection of quotes, that's pretty much my point.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The funny thing is Vicky keeps accusing me of being VD in disguise. Then he goes on a rant about how uber The Witcher is and how much of an RPG DS2 is.

Surlent

Liturgist
aweigh aweigh, how does that name sound familiar but you only have few posts here ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom