Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What types of weapons will be available in AOD?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey developers, I was curious about this. I've already seen the Crossbow, Maul, different polearms/spears/javelins, and some sort of a great sword, but I was wondering if you guys had a complete listing yet. Maybe types of Spatha swords, or gladius swords, I'd assume, but what other types?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We have 8 classes: daggers, swords, axes, hammers, spears, bows, xbows, throwing; 3-4 weapons per class.

We have a complete list, of course, with individual properties for each weapon. For example, the spear class has 3 weapons: short spear (fast weapon, could be used with shields, good throwing range), long spear (good melee range, interrupt attacks, impale), and trident (interrupt, more criticals, etc).

In regard to the swords, we have 4 basic weapons: gladius, khopesh (egyptian sickle sword), persian shamshir (curved blade), and 2-hander of middle east design. Here is the concept art:

Swords

Fez

Erudite
You forgot to include dual wielding .44 magnums/mini-crossbows. The game is doomed without such an important role-playing feature.

The rest of it sounds good though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seems you are hiring some skilled people Mr VD. Michael Corriero has got himself a rather good portfolio. Can't find anything about dfo solutions though, would be great if you started a website. Was wondering whether you went with full timers or freelanceers. Gameing hype and such. Good luck with the game, it's sounding neater by the minute.
Cheers,

Trash

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showth ... tid=244717

Vault Dweller

Developer
DFO Solutions was an IT company I used to run at that time. I used that name to handle copyright issues. I sold the company later, and that's why I removed the name from the conceprt art. You couldn't find anything on the name because it was operated under a trademark.

I'll set up a proper game development company and a site when I have time. Glad you like the art though. Mike did a few things for us, but we ended up using only the weapons art. We used 2 other artists for characters and locations. I believe I've already posted some stuff.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Instead of having many weapons that are essentially the same but have different speed/damage output, I wanted to try something else - fewer weapons with distinctive abilities and gameplay style. See that example with spears above. Each spear is different, each spear has its own traits and combat moves. That way a short sword is as deadly and as good as a 2H sword, especially in the hands of a properly build character.

Also, don't look at it as only 3-4 items per class. When you throw in 4 upgrade materials and upgrade techniques, you get a decent number of different weapons. That's at least my opinion, but feel free to disagree.

We can always throw in more items, art isn't a problem, but I feel that more items would make some of them meaningless and purely cosmetic.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, about interrupts - do they drain your APs? (Even like one per interrupt).
It does not sound very logical to do it 'instantly'. With some uber-perk - perhaps, but otherwise...

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, they don't. However, you don't get an interrupt every time someone moves. You get a 10% chance to interrupt an attack at slvl 25. The chance grows with your skill up to 85% at slvl 300. That's why there are no AP penalties or costs.

sheek

Arbiter
10% doesn't sound like very much if 25% is 'beginner' level. That once every six or seven attempts.

Balor

Arcane
But how you will determine being 'swarmed'? Remember Darklands, where one man (logically) could effectively defend only against one person?
Or decided not to include it?

AMDG

Novice
Regarding weapons , can the Alchemy skill be used to create a flamethrower of sorts - the "greek fire" you mentioned ?

AMDG

Novice
That's a lot of No's - considering you are already implementing nitroglycerin and such . At the moment such tech appeared , it was automatically used in firearms - I remember seeing a crossbow firing explosive bolts . It's funny to see there are functioning radios ( comm devices ) , and no functioning weapons .

Slith

Scholar
AMDG said:
That's a lot of No's - considering you are already implementing nitroglycerin and such . At the moment such tech appeared , it was automatically used in firearms - I remember seeing a crossbow firing explosive bolts . It's funny to see there are functioning radios ( comm devices ) , and no functioning weapons .

You sure are obsessed with your exploding crossbow bolts.

AMDG

Novice
"You sure are obsessed with your exploding crossbow bolts."

Weapons are meant to be effective and not only for show . But , since I'm not the game designer , I will stop here ...

mytgroo

Scholar
You may want to add some special weapon skills.

You may want to add some specialty weapons that cost a lot more to learn with very strong effects separate from the standard weapons. They may require quests to learn, or a certain proficiency in one of the categories. For example you might have to have a very high proficiency in spears to use a spetum.

1) Whip
2) Net
3) Weighted chain and sickle
4) 2 handed flamberge.
5) Dokyu-- repeating crossbow
6) Polearm-- Halberd or Spetum

And of course most dangerous weapon of all the bladed chicken.

Bradylama

Arcane
How many exotic weapons really fit the setting, though? The only thing that comes to mind for me is the Falx, and that could be considered conceptually overpowered. It was the only weapon in history that forced the Roman army to make changes to their equipment on-campaign.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Re: You may want to add some special weapon skills.

sheek said:
10% doesn't sound like very much if 25% is 'beginner' level. That once every six or seven attempts.
Where do you get the idea that ten per hundred means once every six or seven attempts?

mytgroo said:
You may want to add some specialty weapons that cost a lot more to learn with very strong effects separate from the standard weapons.
There already are "specialty" weapons such as the net, sickle sword and bearded axe with strong effects seperate from standard weapons. Oh, and the pilum which also has a special ability.

What the hell is so special about a Flamberge though?

Bradylama

Arcane
The wavy design of a Flamberge makes it so that it'll cause strong vibrations in the weapon that strikes it. This throws off the technique of an opponent, which provides the wielder a good opportunity to attack.

There were also Zweihanders that were Flamberge-like that were used to defend against pikes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom