Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AIAS Awards still funny after all these years

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blue's News</a> has posted a <A href="http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=786">list of the finalists</a> for the gaming achievement awards given by the <a href="http://www.interactive.org/">Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences</a>. Here's some of the stuff to chuckle about:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Innovation in Computer Gaming
<br>
<br>
Doom 3 (Activision/id Software)
<br>
City of Heroes (NCSoft/Cryptic Studios)
<br>
Rome: Total War (Activision/Creative Assembly)
<br>
Half-Life 2 (Vivendi Universal Games/Valve)
<br>
The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts/Maxis)</ul>
<br>
Yes, four out of the five most innovative games of 2004 were sequels!
<br>
<br>
And for the on topic thing, here's the computer roleplaying section of the finalists:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Role Playing Game Of The Year
<br>
<br>
Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker (BioWare/BioWare)
<br>
Vampires: Bloodline (Activision/Troika)</ul>
<br>
Woah, stiff competition there! A $5 module for a two to three year old game, and <A href="http://www.vampire-bloodlines.com">Bloodlines</a>. Bet the module wins.
<br>
<br>
Just for addiitional funniness:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Massive Multiplayer/Persistent World Game Of The Year
<br>
<br>
World of WarCraft (Vivendi Universal Games/Blizzard)
<br>
City of Heroes (NCSoft/Cryptic Studios)
<br>
<u>StarWars Generations: Jump to Lightspeed (Sony Online LucasArts)</u>
<br>
Final Fantasy XI Chains of Promathia (Square Enix, Inc./Square Eniz Co. Ltd.)</ul>
<br>
Okay, so they got the name wrong. Is this expansion pack even out yet?!
<br>

Ortchel

Liturgist
Jump to Lightspeed has been out for months.

This was sort of funny, but is it news?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Are you sure Jump to Lightspeed is out? The website says "Coming Soon" and there's been 0 advertising for it.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Jump to Lightspeed has been released. "Release Date 10/26/2004" according to a number of online retailers.

Ortchel

Liturgist
It's definitely out, even IGN and Gamespot reviewed it. In October, no less.

sInfernal

Novice
I have to say the Kingmaker nomination is hilarious. I'm a big fan of NWN (modules) and all, but this is absurd. Kingmaker isn't all that great anyways.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Hasn't Doom 3 been labeled as being so not innovative that it's actually a throwback to the earlier years of gaming?

Jinxed

Liturgist
Doom 3 has innovative graphics. Of course, that's if you like creatures and people that look like they are made of plastic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"have to say the Kingmaker nomination is hilarious. I'm a big fan of NWN (modules) and all, but this is absurd. Kingmaker isn't all that great anyways."

Haven't played it myself. Probably not gonna to either.I 'm not a fan of DD or for that matter anything that requires me to give up cash to dinks on the 'net even if it is BIO.

I trust no one on the net. No one.

As for the nomination, good for BIO. All these RPGs released in '04 and only one full length game (BL) cna compete with a 3-5 hour module froma 2 and a half year old game.

Awesome.

TOO COOL!!!!!!!

R00fles!

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn said:
All these RPGs released in '04 and only one full length game (BL) cna compete with a 3-5 hour module froma 2 and a half year old game.

RPGs in 2004 that weren't Bloodlines? Like what? Beyond Divinity? There wasn't very much released in RPGs this year, so it's not like there was much competition.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Don't forget max abram whatsitsname. Larry probably got braned as an RPG at some point. I mean, you play as this Larry dude. That's like a role right?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
FireWolf said:
Don't forget max abram whatsitsname. Larry probably got braned as an RPG at some point. I mean, you play as this Larry dude. That's like a role right?

Sacred came out this year. I think Gothic 2's North American release was these year as well. There was Silent Storm, I of the Dragon, Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna, Deus Ex 2, Konung 2, and probably a few others.

That is odd about Jump to Lightspeed though. I didn't remember it being released, so I went to the LucasArts' site about the game. It still says, "Coming Soon" at the top. I don't think I've even seen it in stores.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jump to Lightspeed is out in Europe at least. I'm guessing they're still messing around with the americana servers or whatever.

Here's something I don't get:
Outstanding Character Performance – Female
Demon Stone (Atari/Stormfront Studios)
Judy Dench – Golden Eye: Rouge Agent (Electronic Arts/EA/LA)
Zoo Tycoon 2 (Microsoft/Blue Fang Games)
Anyone know what that's about? :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Is that why you give out your address everytime someone argues with you?"

Yes, I dare them to do something stupid so they can be terminated. It's my way of seeing how dumb the internet can be. So far, it's smarter than I thought.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I wonder why only the big name celebrities get named in Outstanding Character Performance. That is pretty lame considering the professional voice actors who usually do the voiceovers in these games are far better than any of those hollywood celebs. For once I'd like to see that girl who does the voice of Bastila, or the Sarevok guy get named for the award.

Ortchel

Liturgist
That's a good point, Rex. There's never been a real 'voice actor star', unless you count what's-her-face from Red Alert who went on to have a career in music, among other things. I'd like to see Ira from Jagged Alliance 2 get some attention, that girl is amazing.

She is evil, a driven bitch.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Saint_Proverbius said:
If you move the cursor over that spaceship in the middle of the page, the "Coming Soon" appears at the top of the screen.

Saint, you old bastard, you don't seem to be capable of navigating that flash website. I know these new flash website thingies can be difficult to navigate. ;)

Actually what's happening is you are hitting the menu bar up there under the section called "Missions". That section of the website is still "Coming Soon". At least that's the way it works for me. I could be wrong though.

tnanh

Novice
I don't get it, unless they're doing a parody of the gaming award season, everyone at that self-ordained academy seems to be but one the most pathetic game critic-wanna-be ever seen on the Internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom