Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Damien Foletto Interview @ Winterwind

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Damien Foletto

The fan boys (and girls) at Winterwind have interviewed Damien 'Puuk' Foletto of Black Isle Studios fame. In the interview, Damien discusses his humble beginnings, the influences that lead him to pursue game design as a career choice. His biggest influence? Fallout.
<br>
<br>
Here's his take on Fallout Tactics, which I'm sure a lot of us here can agree with:
<br>
<blockquote>WW: The last game you worked on as a QA Tester was Fallout Tactics. Had you played the Fallout games before working at IPLY or was your first exposure research while working on FOT?
<br>
<br>
DF: I had played through Fallout about ten times by the time I started working on FOT. I was very familiar with the Fallout universe, which was good and bad, depending on your perspective while working on FOT. It was good because I knew what fit in the Fallout world and what didn’t. It was bad because I knew what fit in the Fallout world and what didn’t.
<br>
<br>
WW: FOT was not well received by the FO fanbase. What was your impression of the game during it's development?
<br>
<br>
DF: I knew FOT was not a PCRPG from the get-go, so I approached it as purely a strategy game when we started working on it. I enjoyed FOT tactics for what it was up until about mission 11 – that’s when I think the whole robot scenario started and did not let up until the end. I grew to hate robots in just about any game after that. However, before mission 11, I actually thought, overall, FOT was a decent, but not a great strategy game. It was not Fallout, I’ll say that up front, and I’ll say it because a lot of the retro ‘50’s feel was left out of the game’s atmosphere. Hum-vees, endless robots, etc. solidified the miss on the atmosphere, in my opinion. But my biggest disappointment was that FOT was being done instead of Fallout 3, and that, also in my opinion, doomed FOT from the get-go. </blockquote>
<br>
Amen to that. Here's one more good quote:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>WW: Are there any specific people, either alive or dead, that you would have dreamed of working with?
<br>
<br>
DF: Wow, that’s a loaded question. To be truthful, I do not hold anyone on a pedestal in the industry. This isn’t out of personal arrogance, but more about knowing that no game is ever made by just one person. A lead designer or project lead/director may have an overall vision for a game, but it is the collaborative effort of everyone involved that makes a game truly great. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I guess the interview is interesting even if you don't care about the guy and the game's that he's worked on in either QA or design, you've got to admit that he's got some solid opinions. You can read the first part of a two part interview by clicking <a href=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=41>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the heads up, <b>Saint Proverbius</b>.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There's a ton of good stuff in that interview, like he wrote the following about Lionheart's development:
WW: What were your thoughts on the game's potential during development and the reception it received?

DF: I thought the original concept of the game was a good one. It read great on paper – an open-ended CRPG using the SPECIAL system and taking place in an alternate earth history where magic and fantasy had become reality. Things went downhill from there once real-time combat was introduced, map notes were never put in, game flow became erratic and all but disappeared after Barcelona, etc. The potential for a good game was there, but it really fell short. It’s too bad, because the core engine and tools were excellent.
Yep, the game's story was definitely a good one, and if it had been a turn-based game similar to Fallout, with little combat the game would have definitely been a lot better than it had.

I don't know who's to blame for the real time, as even though the blame should probably fall squarely Ion Hardie for insisting that the action real time system be implemented, it's likely that IPLY's marketing department had a hand in its development, much as they were the ones who decided that Lionheart be called Lionheart, rather than by its original name: Infidel.

A lot of the story was dissected or left out of the game (in post-Barcelona) because Interplay stopped paying Reflexive at one of the milestones when they started running out of money. Barcelona itself was full of dialogue and quests, but none of it was followed-up on, with the rest of the game's development being rushed just to get the game out the door.

Heck, there was supposed to be a strong back plot about the eternal war between good and evil (Aethra and Daeva, or angels and demons) in connection to Zoroastrian mythology keeping a balance between magic and reality or some such. It's a real pity.

I couldn't mention this stuff until now, because of fear that IPLY might sue Reflexive for letting that out (It's NDA), but with IPLY in the gutter, I don't think anyone gives a shit.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Rex said:
A lot of the story was dissected or left out of the game (in post-Barcelona) because Interplay stopped paying Reflexive at one of the milestones when they started running out of money.

I just finished the game earlier tonight and it shows (particularly in the ending.) Everything after (and including) Montserrat is total shit. I'm not sure if you even get a quest after the Crypts/Nostradamus maps.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Great interview. Pehraps; the best developer interview yet. Good stuff on the BIO=BIS relationship. No wonder, Obsidian has become BIo's lackey.

P.S. This is NOT news.

P.S. Please don't cry because someone posts something you dislike.

R00fles!

P.S. We can do this all day long if you want; but it still won't make this interview news.

RGE

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I couldn't mention this stuff until now, because of fear that IPLY might sue Reflexive for letting that out (It's NDA), but with IPLY in the gutter, I don't think anyone gives a shit.
With Interplay in such dire need of money, shouldn't you be more worried that they'll sue? ;)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
I don't know who's to blame for the real time, as even though the blame should probably fall squarely Ion Hardie for insisting that the action real time system be implemented, it's likely that IPLY's marketing department had a hand in its development, much as they were the ones who decided that Lionheart be called Lionheart, rather than by its original name: Infidel.

I think Vivendi also wanted BIS to make something along the lines of Diablo. At least, that was one of the many rumors surrounding the game.

Josan

Novice
Volourn said:
Great interview. Pehraps; the best developer interview yet. Good stuff on the BIO=BIS relationship. No wonder, Obsidian has become BIo's lackey.

P.S. I'm a huge FAG.

Wow. I got a compliment from Volourn. :shock:

About the PS bit, well, look what part of the province you're from.

taks

Liturgist
i am flabberghasted...

so, volourn, do you mean you're a BIG fag, ala 6' 6", 350 lbs. and loving butt sex? or just convincingly NOT heterosexual ala flamer all the way with pink satin shirts and speaking with a lisp?

on topic, exitium, what do you mean by the statement regarding the BIS=BIO thing? or were you just referring to the QA part he handled in edmonton? or did i miss something?

taks

Avé

Liturgist
Is their a link to the dev talk somewhere? :|

[edit] I mean interview [/edit]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Interesting. I know my typing isn't the best; but it's amzing how words cna be twisted. Obviously, the 'Codex has a coward amonsgt them. Must be either Exitium or Spaz. Bunch of wussies they are. Call me a fag all you want; still doens't change thew fatc that this interview - good or not - is not news.

Period.

P.S. Take your best shot; whatever you can come up with to "insult" me I've ben called worse. Either way you lose.

Avé

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Interesting. I know my typing isn't the best; but it's amzing how words cna be twisted. Obviously, the 'Codex has a coward amonsgt them. Must be either Exitium or Spaz. Bunch of wussies they are. Call me a fag all you want; still doens't change thew fatc that this interview - good or not - is not news.

Period.

P.S. Take your best shot; whatever you can come up with to "insult" me I've ben called worse. Either way you lose.
I dont know you, I've only read about 4 of your posts, but seeing someone use "R00Fles" in every post instinctively makes me hate you.

R00FLES!

Spazmo

Erudite
I'd never edit someone's posts just to make fun of them. That's a gross abuse of power. I only edit posts to remove offensive images (like that moron Susan yesterday) and occasionally to fix broken BBcode in people's posts.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
This thread needs an animated weird green thing. And I'm the man to deliver. So, without further ado, I present....

280803841d73571b0afd.gif

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I'd never edit someone's posts just to make fun of them. That's a gross abuse of power. I only edit posts to remove offensive images (like that moron Susan yesterday) and occasionally to fix broken BBcode in people's posts.

Saint edited his post, dumbass.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So tell me, why isn't this interview news? I mean what the fuck, I didnt know there had to be some specific critereon in interviews that determined whether or not it was news.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I dont know you, I've only read about 4 of your posts, but seeing someone use "R00Fles" in every post instinctively makes me hate you.

R00FLES!"

Who are you? Seriously, who are you?

Anyways, the fact that you can hate someone after just 4 posts just proves youa re a very hateful person.. which means you fit in perfectly here.

R00fles!

As for actually hating me, if I actually cared about being liked; I'd be a robot.

R00fles!

P.S. You shouldn't lie.

"I'd never edit someone's posts just to make fun of them. That's a gross abuse of power. I only edit posts to remove offensive images (like that moron Susan yesterday) and occasionally to fix broken BBcode in people's posts."

This isn't completely true.

And, if it was SP; that be a new devlopment. He's usually not such a weakling who can't handle criticism. Ah well.. Another of my heroes bites the dust.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint fucks around occasionally, and he ignores most of your posts. I guess he didn't ignore you today. You should see some of the posts made by dumbasses on the DAC forums that got turned into big rambling messages containing phrases like "I AM A FAG" and "I LIKE TASTY PENIS".

P.S. you still haven't answered my question.

taks

Liturgist
apparently you had a MAJOR typo there volourn?

that's the kinda statement that will draw all of us out, friend or foe :)

taks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom