Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good squad based tactical games released recently?

Avé

Liturgist
Last "good" one's I played were... JA2/X-Com Apocalypse.

Last bad one I played was UFO Aftermath*spits*

Anything I've missed?

(recently = 3 years or so)

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Yeah, there's also a game called Silent Storm that I would recommend.

Expresso

Novice
I would recommend the expansion "Silent Storm: Sentinels" also, If you can find it.

Fez

Erudite
I'm surprised none has mentioned Silent Storm yet, it's rather good. I guess no one here has heard of it.

Avé

Liturgist
Ok, so I finished the ally campaign(I use campaign loosely) and it took about 10-12 hours...

#1) Real lack of story, plot or cohesion

#2) WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TURN IT INTO A BAD SCI-FI WITH ALIENS AND MECHS?

#3) Combats enjoyable, but fairly poorly balanced(especially grenades)

#4) They didnt really have the same sort of weapons progression that apocalypse & JA2 had(probably because it was so short?)

Enjoyable game, but I'm glad I only paid €10 for it, it isnt worth much more..

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Play it through with a lone sniper character. Or play it through with just a couple of guys if the lone way is not your bag. I was disappointed with the game, but I still loved it. And playing through with a lone sniper has been quite the challenge, believe you me. :shock:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Play it through with a lone sniper character. Or play it through with just a couple of guys if the lone way is not your bag. I was disappointed with the game, but I still loved it. And playing through with a lone sniper has been quite the challenge, believe you me. :shock:

Jinxed

Liturgist
Avè said:
#2) WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TURN IT INTO A BAD SCI-FI WITH ALIENS AND MECHS?

The Aliens were a special encounter, an Xcom easter egg. For that encounter to show up you had to stare on the battle map for half an hour.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Were the Panzerkleins a special encounter too?
Unfortunately Panzerkleins are encountered in a lot of the later missions. What annoys me about the PK's is that they are hard to defeat even with weapons like the Panzerschreck.

I actually entered the Switzerland mission without any PK's nor PK killer weapons like the Sea Devil (this is something of an Easter Egg) or special Beam weapons. I guess I should have done the Ural missions first. Also you're not allowed to kill any civilians in this particular mission, and they do a damned good job of getting in your way. This makes it very hard to use explosives or Panzerschrecks.

I ended up finishing the PK's with silenced weapons. My scout was toting a silenced SMG and my sniper was using the silenced scoped 98K. Be sure to remain hidden and also make sure your characters have the Ambush feat/perk which greatly helps in getting those necessary critical hits. Note that this tactic requires an ample supply of ammo.

As to SS in general, I think it's a nice game but with a proper JA2 alike campaign and some game improvements as partly implemented in Sentinels it could have been up there with TB classics like XCOM and JA2.

Balor

Arcane
Well, all I can say that absolute most of glitches of SS was fixed in SS:S.
Adjusting difficulty by multiple parametres, animation speed sliders, less PKs, added armor piersing qualities to all weapons that deserve it (AP rounds for Panzershrek, bazooka, etc), moneytary system (if, I admit, still a bit unbalance towards ambudance in the end of the game), different ammution types, etc...
And the great Sicle&Hammer mod! Unfortunately, only avalable in Russian, to my knoledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom