Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW Goes Gold & Mass Idiocy

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So, as it happens, World of Warcraft just went gold and it's likely that half a million dipshits are going to buy the game based on the Blizzard label alone. Another half a million crackheads are just looking for a new replacement drug after DAOC, Everquest and what have you.

One good thing about World of Warcraft is that if there ever was a need for a database of all the stupid people online, it would be located on Blizzard's servers.

I panned the game on BluesNews earlier and some guy had some fighting words to say to me, to which I responded:

"MMORPG's ALWAYS wipe characters...ALWAYS. I couldnt even believe some idiots went to level 40 in beta just to do that shit all over again, then bitch about it when they found out (GASP!) that the characters are always wiped at the end of a beta "

I guess both Lineage 2 and Planetside would prove you wrong, then, wouldn't it?

"Exitium: You are a retard. Please, yes, move on to another game and do us all a favor. BETAS ARE FOR NERFING you shithead. Its not the full game what did you expect? You act like Blizzard owes you the right to not fix their own fucking game in Beta. "

You're missing the point, stillmind. The point that I was trying to make was World of Warcraft is just another shitty Everquest clone with crappier graphics than anything else new on the market. I'm sure just pasting the Blizzard logo on the front is going to sell a lot of copies up front but once people discover the 'true nature' of the game they'll likely stop their subscriptions unless they're too fucking addicted to what ever shitty level 40+ character they've managed to make for themselves by devoting months to some virtual lifestyle while neglecting their responsibilities to real life.

Enjoy your shitty MMORPG. I'd rather not play a game with so many 'hooks' and 'timesinks' and go with a game that offers me entertainment up front without forcing me to dedicate weeks of my life to building some shitfaced character just so I can indulge myself in the lacklustre PVP that graces the World of Warcraft. I'd rather be playing games like Half Life 2, Bloodlines or Guild Wars instead of wasting my time on this heap of garbage.

Have a nice life.

"Go buy a clue please "

I thought we stopped living in the 80s, shithead.

For some reason, he thought I was whining about the character wipe, as if I give a shit about that.

Reklar

Liturgist
You sure have seemed to have gotten worked up over WoW for no reason if you hate it so much. If it doesn't interest you why do you talk about it all the time? I can understand mentioning it, as you have in the past, as a disappointing venture and warning people away from it, but you seem to have developed a personal crusade against it. The stronger opinion you display against it and the more you talk about it, the more likely people are going to check it out for themeselves just to see what the fuss about. It seems counterproductive if your goal is to keep people away from it. Relax, go play a game of UT2004 or something, and let it go. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah. It's kind of like those Keep Out signs. You see one and to you it says "Hey! Come on in! Check out the cool stuff someone doesn't want you to see!". So you do. :P

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So let them. They're just more people to add to the idiot database anyhow. The fact that it's an EQ clone should turn most intelligent people away.

Michael_Wolf

Educated
I had the chance to beta test WoW, too, and I must say that I am very disappointed by this game. I love the artwork, although it's very low poly and the music was great, but the gameplay is more than boring. I really tried to like the game and tried out different characters but in the end I uninstalled WoW even before the beta was closed.
WoW could have been a revolutionary MMORPG but instead it's just "more-of-the-same"!
The main problem with MMORPGs these days is that they all end up as an disappointment. The only online roleplaying game that I enjoyed recently was FFIX, but this was probably because of the fact that it has the Final Fantasy feel.

Limorkil

Liturgist
I just think a lot of people are pissed because WoW promised to be a game that did not conform to the MMORPG conventions set by EQ, such as pointless timesinks and forced grouping. It looked like it had promise in early beta and then it got nerfed into a bad EQ clone.

Yes it will sell well with the DAoC crowd and Blizzard nuts, but its longevity is questionable.

Mantra_n

Novice
i played the beta too. I think its a fairly good game. the level of polish on WoW is way higher than any other MMO I have ever tried. You also don't have to group, you can solo alot of stuff in this game, ofcourse I haven't played past lvl 25, only had the beta for a week. One thing I liked about the game is that it was saturated with things to do, its not empty space, there are lots of quests to do and things to see, and the artwork in the game is very good. You are constantly engaged in some kind of activity. And its also quite fun with friends.

The only bad thing about it and may be the reason I will not get it is, I just don't think I have the time for it, like seriously, I understand spending a week playing this thing for like 8 hours a day, thats cool, just a week, but once the retail is out... there's no limit, and it'll just suck out all my time I could have spent doing something productive...

and exitium: if a game has multiplayer there are bound to be stupid people... multiplayer is like the HUB of stupidity. I usually just ignore the idiots, f*ck em.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So, as it happens, World of Warcraft just went gold and it's likely that half a million dipshits are going to buy the game based on the Blizzard label alone."

Yeah, because Codexers would never buy a game simply based on a label. :roll:

R00fles!

Eh.

I played the Open Beta as an Undead Warlock.

Warlocks are the most gimped class in the game. What's amazing about me and MMOs is that I inevitably pick the weakest class to play, usually because they sound the "coolest" to me. WoW was no exception.

There's a big fucking honking huge pus-filled pubic zit in World of Warcraft which ruins what could be a fine MMO experience: An utter lack of balance. Melee classes are WAY more powerful than casting classes.

Oh, here's some parsed-DPS proof (numbers calculated from a 2-3 hour raid on an instanced zone):

Tirade 60 rogue, 624078 damage.
Aftershock 60 rogue, 458182 damage.
Kelena 60 Warlock, 325754 damage. (272388 me, 53366 pet)
Elgonn 60 mage, 287506 damage.
Bhazrak 60 warrior (tanking), 253114 damage.
Bloodlust 60 shaman, 216777 damage.
Fenix 60 shaman, 184399 damage.
Shammie totems, 12930 damage.
Ribbon 60 priest, 71645 damage.

But just look at the melee damage. The rogues are sick,
especially Tirade. I can tell you that Tirade's numbers reflect
exactly what I feel all the time, that he just smokes me in
damage. Already melees outdamage casters by a lot. They will just
get better and better as they get higher DPS weapons while we
will hardly improve at all. Bhazrak, the warrior's, damage was
not too far behind us casters and he is a defensive specced tank!

People keep saying how uber casters, especially mages are, but
the numbers just don't bear it out. In fact, the numbers bear out
what we casters have been saying: melees keep getting better and
better from improved items while we hardly improve at all. Take
away a Mage's Sheep and what reason was there to bring them along
at all again?
(source)

Ab-so-fucking-lutely unfair. Aside from a healer priest and a single mage for crowd control (no, you don't need a tank--taunt is horribly broken and I'd bet "Tirade" had aggro most of the time), groups would do much better if they were otherwise completely comprised of rogues.

Remember, rogues not only do MORE damage FASTER than casters, but they are BETTER ARMORED and have MORE HP. Thus they OUTDAMAGE, OUTSURVIVE, and OUTPLAY casting classes in the core component of any combat system: the trading of damage.

PvP is even more skewed toward melee:

I'm just really pissed that pure casters are so... lame. I'm fine with some initial weakness compared to other classes, but it's so frickin' obvious that Blizzard favors melee combat over everything and anything else in the game.

Case in point: Melee classes all have a skill that closes the distance between them and their target--Warriors have that charge thing, Rogues get Dash, etc. And in World of Warcraft's PvP, if a melee is in range of a caster, the caster is dead (or about to be). Thus the nature of playing a caster in PvP is to have range.

The problem is, casters can't kill other players over a range. Warlocks' direct damage takes FOUR SECONDS to cast at level 22 and does under 100 damage. That means you have to target the enemy, click the DD, wait four seconds, and deal 90 damage. Meanwhile, the melee gets the following clues to find you if he hasn't spotted you already: a light show, sound, and an irregular stance. Any of those clues, they have just under four seconds to stop you--and chances are, if they're in range of your DD, you're in range of their insta-close skill.

They use their insta-close skill (which has no charge time) and you're only done with 2 or 3 seconds of casting.

Smack, 100 damage (woohoo cloth armor). Chanelling goes back a second.

Smack, 89 damage. Chanelling goes back half a second.

Smack, 85 damage. Your DD finally casts. It either hits for 90, barely denting their HP, or they resist it.

Smack, 80 damage. You have a sliver of life, they're hardly dented. What now? Utility spell? Life drain?

Smack, 97 damage. AARRRGGGGHH. You will automatically release in 6 minutes. [RELEASE NOW?] The melee's HP is full by the time your death animation is over.

gg, Blizzard.

There are several innate problems with casters versus tanks which have to do with PvE rules not carrying over well to PvP:

-Casters and melees, solo, can kill mobs of a given level at roughly the same speed. This is because most mobs have a good armor class for their level and not much magic resistance--thus, while a caster is busy doing full potential damage, a melee is doing only a fraction of his potential damage as he has to contend with the mob's AC. Thus the crux of PvE balance is in the ratio of armor class vs. magic resistance.

-There are no special rules for PvP. For all intents and purposes, the caster is facing a level 22, 900-HP/1000-AC/0-resistance mob and the tank is facing a level 22, 400-HP/450-AC/0-resistance mob. Damage is dealt exactly like PvE. The melee's attack rating is checked versus the AC of the target and does damage appropriate if it hits--more if the attack roll is significantly better than the AC, less if it's closer to the AC. The casters spells simply do the listed damage if they're not resisted.

-This creates a MAJOR CLEFT in damage output in PvP. Casters will ALWAYS have a worse AC than melees--that's a staple of the genre I accept. The thing is, melee classes' damage output is depedent on more than their weapon's listed damage (which is already more than most corresponding spells of a given level!) -- indeed, melee classes get a huge bonus in damage when attacking weak-AC targets. Meanwhile, on the other side of the spectrum, casters get NO BONUS AT ALL for casting on weak-resistance targets, aside from the spell actually hitting. Thus there is a fundamental difference in damage calculation systems which results in an utterly unfair, totally unbalanced PvP system.

In short, I'm not buying this game until it's balanced.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I'll admit, I enjoyed playing a rogue in WoW during the Beta. The hubby and I will probably play at some point (once the launch calms down a bit). I agree that the world is more interesting than most MMORPGs, though I wish there weren't so many "kill x number of creatures" or "collect x number of creature drop items" quests. At least they have a role-playing server... we'll see if they manage to enforce it at all.

It won't be the greatest game ever, but we figure it'll give us a fun way to hack and slash together for a few months. If it gets boring, we cancel our subscription. I think too many people go into these games with sky-high expectations... that's not a problem here.

xemous

Arcane
Yeh alot of my mates are getting it. I'v found with MMO's that what really decides if im going to play it or not is if my friends are playing. It's always fun with with friends, RL friends that is, not thats it bad with friends your'v met online.

Seven

Erudite
"One does good business when he rids himself of a turd."

Mull that over for a while, I have a paper to write. :wink:

Ortchel

Liturgist
You sure have seemed to have gotten worked up over WoW for no reason if you hate it so much. If it doesn't interest you why do you talk about it all the time?

Bastard! Beat me to it.

Also, are the graphics that bad? The screenshots on the website look fine to me, but they're probably edited. Anybody got any they've taken themself?

Ortchel

Liturgist
Ohh, yeah .. I do. I assumed they just had the settings at less than optimal levels though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Excuse me? I 'backlashed' against WOW months ago after they released Beta 4's patch that turned the game into an EQ clone. Moron.

moran.jpg

Sol Invictus

Erudite
For the good of all, those people need to consume hemlock.

I think it's rather amusing though that some people think the only reason I'm getting 'angry' over WOW is because they're wiping my character or what have you. I quit months ago.

Exitium said:
I think it's rather amusing though that some people think the only reason I'm getting 'angry' over WOW is because they're wiping my character or what have you. I quit months ago.
I don't think that. I just think you got tired of it and instead of saying, "Welp, that was fun, later WoW," you had to go ballistic on the game to convince yourself it wasn't worth keeping up with.

It's called cognitive dissonance. And you're not doing a very good job at it, considering you keep bringing the game up time and time again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom