Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bioware keeps on scoring - DotY Award

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.digitalentertainmentawards.com>Billboard 2004 Digital Entertainment Conference thingy</a> has chosen <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> as the <a href=http://www.digitalentertainmentawards.com/finalists.html>Game Developer of the Year</a>. <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic/>KOTOR</a> was nominated for PC or Console Game of the Year, but lost to City of Heroes. Overall though, I don't really get who picked all those nominees. Doom 3 - game innovation of the year? Give me a break. Anyway, here is what the good doctors had to say:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"It is a great honor to be named Game Developer of the Year at the 2004 Billboard Entertainment Awards" said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. "This award is truly a testament to the hard work of our entire staff, comprised of the most talented, creative, and original people in the world. This award recognizes their fantastic efforts over the last few years."
<br>
<br>
"We're certainly thrilled about this award, and we are also excited about the future" added Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. "With titles like the martial-arts action-RPG Jade Empire - to be published by Microsoft on the Xbox in March 2005 - and the epic fantasy PC-RPG Dragon Age, as well as another unannounced title on the way, all based on new BioWare-created and owned intellectual properties, it is an exciting time for the company. Other exciting projects are underway within our Technology Architecture Group, working on our next-generation BioWare Eclipse Engine(TM) technology for PC and console; and the BioWare Community/Live Team, working on digital distribution initiatives."</blockquote>
<br>
He forgot to mention the hype department

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bioware is awesome. They release zero games in '04 thus far and still win awards. <>

And, oh, how did KOTOR get nominated? It was released in '03!

Limorkil

Liturgist
I never really understand awards.

How exactly do you win Game Developer of the Year but not Game of the Year. Surely whoever developed Game of the Year would win, no? I suppose if you developed the 2nd and 3rd best game then you could win Game Developer of the Year without winning Game of the Year. I really can't be bothered to investigate further to find out.

Its like winning Best Director without winning Best Picture. If you can't win Best Picture then you are obviously not the Best Director.

Still, the important thing is that KOTOR did not win because, frankly, its a little over-rated.

Avin

Liturgist
Limorkil said:
How exactly do you win Game Developer of the Year but not Game of the Year. Surely whoever developed Game of the Year would win, no? I suppose if you developed the 2nd and 3rd best game then you could win Game Developer of the Year without winning Game of the Year. .

you've answered yourself.

most of these prizes are crap.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Best Character in a Game
Link from Legend of Zelda, Nintendo

I'm not the biggest fan of Zelda games, but uhh... doesn't Link not say anything ever? Does pushing rocks around really qualify as a potential way to add character? Quarry Workers must get all the chicks. :cry:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
"This award is truly a testament to the hard work of our entire staff, comprised of the most talented, creative, and original people in the world."

... Fuck's sake. I'm too tired and busy, will someone else just come up with a witty retort for this blatant and exacerbated self-felating?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Please, people. You look way too deep into the the silly hype. Read all companies hype and you basically see the same thing. All it means, is they love the BIo employees and theya re awesome. Whether youa gree with it or not is irrelevant. then again, you'd probably want them to say,"The BIO employees that we pay good money to all suck and we should fire their candy asses and theya re the most dispicable, most abominable, most stupid group of people I have ever seen in my life."

R00fles!

Or not.

"Bioware now claims to have superiority over the rest of the human race?"

No, they did not. there is NO conspiracy.

taks

Liturgist
Limorkil said:
How exactly do you win Game Developer of the Year but not Game of the Year. Surely whoever developed Game of the Year would win, no?
uh, no... so you're thinking that if some joe blow developer comes out with one game last year, and it's the best, he should be considered the best developer? or do you think that maybe a company should be judged by consistent products, feedback and support of the games they've released? one good game does not make a company. i.e. the point is that perhaps the idea of "best developer" considers more than just a single game, but all of the elements that go into making all of their games.

you can argue separately if you feel that bioware does/doesn't deserve that honor. of course, given recent trends, it's not like they're in the midst of stiff competition anymore...

Its like winning Best Director without winning Best Picture. If you can't win Best Picture then you are obviously not the Best Director.
why not? best picture, like best developer, requires more than just a good director. good actors, good script, etc... ya see, it takes teamwork. it's easy for a film to come out with a great script, winning that award, only to be dashed overall because some half-wit star can't act.

taks

Transcendent One

Liturgist
No, they did not. there is NO conspiracy

Actually they did, clearly, when saying that they are the most creative, talented, bla bla bla people in the world. Not even "some of the most talented, creative blablabla" but <the> most creative, talented, etc.

Reklar

Liturgist
It's pretty arrogant sounding, even as thanks for winning an award. By the way, since when did Billboard care about games? I thought it was all about overpayed "musicians" and pop culture?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"some"

All because they didn't bother with the spaghetti faux pas word known as "some"

R00fles!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well, with at guest speaker like Rep. Howard Bowman, I can see how the awards mean diddly squat. That guy is the BIGGEST jackass of them all.

He introduced a bill to the House that would allow the RIAA and MPAA to crack the computers of 'suspected' copyright violators. There goes due process. Let's just fuck up this guys computer because we think he might have something on it, oh yeah, and we're private citizens doing it with the indemnity of the law.

That's only one of the fucked up laws he's introduced in the past few years. If anyone can take these awards seriously after seeing him as a speaker, you've got one too many screws loose.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Bioware now claims to have superiority over the rest of the human race?"

No, they did not. there is NO conspiracy.

Volourn said:
"some"

All because they didn't bother with the spaghetti faux pas word known as "some"

R00fles!

No, all because someone misses the obvious even when clearly written in front of them. Wheter hype or heartfelt conviction, Greg Zeschuk clearly stated the team he works in is, quote, "the most talented, creative, and original people in the world.", which logically makes it so they (or at least Greg alone) believes they are above all other people in the world in regards to the field they work in. Claiming someone is the best in the world is claiming to have superiority over all others.

Of course, I suspect the above will be dismissed as trolling, which is a pity, but for those whose neurons are not malfunctioning, it makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, I'm sure we'll be getting more incredulous hype-filled speeches from them. The 1984esque relation between their convictions and of some of those that support them is pretty frightening. Big Greg is watching you?

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Role-Player said:
Of course, I suspect the above will be dismissed as trolling, which is a pity, but for those whose neurons are not malfunctioning, it makes perfect sense.

There really was no need to qualify this. Most likely the only people who will dismiss this as trolling are the people who disagree with your viewpoint. Personally, I completely concur with your assessment of what Greg said. On the other hand I don't see what he said to be so offensive as you believe it is. His statement is simply a matter of hyperbole that is often the norm for such award events. Like the award itself, the statement is just a means to raise self-esteem.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I didn't find it offensive, nor did I said it was. I do find it simultaneously funny and bone-chilling, like I do most all other Biohype :razz:

Limorkil

Liturgist
taks said:
Limorkil said:
How exactly do you win Game Developer of the Year but not Game of the Year. Surely whoever developed Game of the Year would win, no?
uh, no... so you're thinking that if some joe blow developer comes out with one game last year, and it's the best, he should be considered the best developer? or do you think that maybe a company should be judged by consistent products, feedback and support of the games they've released? one good game does not make a company. i.e. the point is that perhaps the idea of "best developer" considers more than just a single game, but all of the elements that go into making all of their games.

you can argue separately if you feel that bioware does/doesn't deserve that honor. of course, given recent trends, it's not like they're in the midst of stiff competition anymore...

why not? best picture, like best developer, requires more than just a good director. good actors, good script, etc... ya see, it takes teamwork. it's easy for a film to come out with a great script, winning that award, only to be dashed overall because some half-wit star can't act.

taks

So Best Developer is a sort of "people we like the best for no particular reason" award? Essentially, you are saying that the company doesn't even need to release any games at all in the year and can still win Best Developer? I suppose there's some twisted logic to that because they are actually in the process of developING rather than having developED, but how the hell do you know that what they are developing isn't shit? They might spend all their time giving interviews to dumbass game magazines and not actually doing any development at all, and still win.

As for Best Director, I would assume that a good director would use good actors, or at least get good work out of mediocre actors. If a movie has a poor script, poor acting, poor camerawork, poor costumes etc. then can you really say anyone who elected to run such a project is really the best director? No, I just think that Best Director, much like Best Developer, is more of a popularity contest than anything else.

And I don't begrudge Bio for winning Developer of the Year, because its meaningless.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Taks strikes again!

taks said:
uh, no... so you're thinking that if some joe blow developer comes out with one game last year, and it's the best, he should be considered the best developer?
Isn't that the idea? After all it's a developer of the YEAR award, not the bestest and consistant evar (tm). If a no-name guy makes only one game and this game blows everybody else's games out of the water, then yeah, he's definitely the best developer of the year.

one good game does not make a company. i.e. the point is that perhaps the idea of "best developer" considers more than just a single game, but all of the elements that go into making all of their games.
Even then, it's kinda stupid to give them the DotY when they didn't release anything last year. I'm sure that Bio deserves recognition and shit, but can't they make an award for that?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Even then, it's kinda stupid to give them the DotY when they didn't release anything last year. I'm sure that Bio deserves recognition and shit, but can't they make an award for that?

There should be a Bioware Award of the Year ceremony, where Bioware compete with themselves. With awards like: Best Canadian Videogame Developer Where David Gaider Works, Best Canadian Videogame Developer Called Bioware, Best Game Developer of the Year Called Bioware, etc.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Igoring the usual troller who shall not be naed, I pretty much agree with dojoteef. All it was was a usual award cermeony hype for the company. That's probably all BIO sees it as.

"Even then, it's kinda stupid to give them the DotY when they didn't release anything last year. I'm sure that Bio deserves recognition and shit, but can't they make an award for that?"

VD wins.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Blaming Bioware for the Billboard Awards is like blaming cars for traffic fatalities. Blame the idiots running the show, instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom