Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Randomized elements in RPGs: Low quality or high adventure?

Human Shield

Augur
I've been thinking about randomizing things in RPGs such as: dungeons, items, monster spawns. Even going higher: Random character motives, random plot twists.

Walkthroughs would be harder to create, playing again would not involve "Uncover secret plot here for 1,000 XP; solve same murder plot; avoid monster spawn at this corner; go to this dungeon for easy loot".

Morrowind dungeons were a pain to play through again because they were so boring a second time and almost all offered crap loot.

What if murder mysteries didn't involve going through the same dialog options a second time but had different clues. What if you could play System Shock 2 again not knowing where the traps and ambushes were. What if characters that betrayed you in a scripted action in the former game are now loyal. What if the best weapon in the game's location is always a mystery to solve instead of set cordinates.

Would it be better for gameplay to design more compact random elements instead of linear stories of fighting "Great Evil 27"?

Think of a LoveCraftian occult story in a small town where it is unknown how many townfolk or which ones are evil, and where the occult secret and areas to search are different each time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't like random stuff that much because the hand-crafted stuff is always better. The random stuff works great where the randomized things aren't important, like missions in space traders or DF quests - these missions/quests are not there to impress you with their depth, but to push you forward.

As for the replayability issue that you mentioned, I think that a well crafted storyline with choices would take care of that easily. I'll illustrate my point by answering your questions:

Human Shield said:
What if murder mysteries didn't involve going through the same dialog options a second time but had different clues
Why there should be one clue that triggers such a conversation? What if there are several (3-4) clues, each triggering a different reaction from different people?

What if you could play System Shock 2 again not knowing where the traps and ambushes were.
Monster "patrol" routes would take care of that predictability, the ambushes could be scripted based on your whereabouts and progress.

What if characters that betrayed you in a scripted action in the former game are now loyal
That shouldn't be random, that should depend on your actions and could be scripted the same way PST NPCs behavior was scripted, i.e. what you have told them and how you reacted to each of them, especially in specific situations. Then make some betrayal points where it makes sense and run some checks to see whether your ass deserves to be betrayed.

What if the best weapon in the game's location is always a mystery to solve instead of set cordinates.
Randomizing the location of the best weapon doesn't make much sense. It's the best weapon after all, there is a reason why it's secured and kept in a specific place. Making several ways to acquire it would solve that problem though.

Human Shield

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
I don't like random stuff that much because the hand-crafted stuff is always better. The random stuff works great where the randomized things aren't important, like missions in space traders or DF quests - these missions/quests are not there to impress you with their depth, but to push you forward.

What if several possibilites for each step of something is handcrafted but randomly choosen.
Why there should be one clue that triggers such a conversation? What if there are several (3-4) clues, each triggering a different reaction from different people?

But in the end it will always be the same guy, the next time through the player would like to just kill the murderer. What if the murderer is a different person each time.

Monster "patrol" routes would take care of that predictability, the ambushes could be scripted based on your whereabouts and progress.

But it would happen in the same place the same way. Do you mean scripted or some type of dynamic AI.

That shouldn't be random, that should depend on your actions and could be scripted the same way PST NPCs behavior was scripted, i.e. what you have told them and how you reacted to each of them, especially in specific situations. Then make some betrayal points where it makes sense and run some checks to see whether your ass deserves to be betrayed.

It could and should be adjusted by checks but in games like BG2 the same character betrays you each time, the player is likely not to waste time with them the next time.

Randomizing the location of the best weapon doesn't make much sense. It's the best weapon after all, there is a reason why it's secured and kept in a specific place. Making several ways to acquire it would solve that problem though.

So the player will know the exact location of a lost artifact the next time playing? And every walkthrough can tell you how to get it. No mystery involved, unless you force the player to go through the same dialog before finding the place (lame).

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It depends on what kind of game you're trying to create. If it's an Action RPG, it's a lot better to go with randomizing monster spawns and items, but not the quests themselves. For instance, the quest could go something like this:

a) A Horde of _____ have been pillaging the town and we need your help! Here, take this _____ to help you defeat the _____.

1 and 3 = insert type of monster here. Could be anything from 'zombies' to 'trollocs'.
2 = random weapon to get you started, if you're a fighter. Random wand if you're a mage. Bow, crossbow or javelin if you're an archer.

b) So I see you defeated the Horde of ______. The scouts we sent out recently uncovered the source of the ______, and we believe that Lord Necron is summoning them. He recides in the nearby ______ and thanks to your help, his forces are weakened and you should have no difficulty putting an end to him once and for all!

1 and 2 = the same mosnters as before
3 = church/destroyed temple/abandoned keep/farmhouse/ruins

When you kill Lord Necron, who's integral to the story, you'll get the next part of the storyline and a cache of random loot from him, and 1 or 2 personalized items from him e.g. Amulet of Necron, Sword of Necron, Bracers of Necron, etc.

It'd work well in an Action RPG and would certainly create a lot of replayability without denting a strong story.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Human Shield said:
What if several possibilites for each step of something is handcrafted but randomly choosen.
It may end up recreating the boredom of static quests. Using Exitium's example of "a Horde of (insert type of monster here. Could be anything from 'zombies' to 'trollocs") have been pillaging the town and we need your help..." the player would know that there is always a horde of some monsters bothering this town, and it wouldn't really make a difference whether it's a band of robbers or a group of zombies this time. They are the enemy to kill to claim your randomly generated reward (don't forget to save first to make sure that you get the shiny cool sword instead of the dagger of crappyness)

But in the end it will always be the same guy, the next time through the player would like to just kill the murderer. What if the murderer is a different person each time.
In most cases it would be like the randomly generated correct tomb in D2. Did you care that it was different every time? No. Do you try to figure which one is this time? No. You pickup the clue that leads you to the right one, and that's it. Random routine.

But it would happen in the same place the same way. Do you mean scripted or some type of dynamic AI.
Scripted. Let say that you have to get inside the building. There are guards outside, they are going around the building. There are 3 alarm points inside.

So you have the following possibilities:
the guards saw you and attacked immediately;
the guards saw you but it was too late, they go after you and set up an ambush in a previously designated (scripted) area or fight you if you are there;
the guard didn't see you but heard the alarm, based on the alarm location they go into the house to set up an ambush in the scripted location. If they are late (you may have triggered the alarm before leaving the area), and you have already left the amush area, they attack you if they see you.

It could and should be adjusted by checks but in games like BG2 the same character betrays you each time, the player is likely not to waste time with them the next time.
Well, that's lazy Bio and their obsession with linearity to you. Otherwise, it would have been easy to set up a few situations that allow you to talk to that guy and either figure out that he's not what he seems or affect him and win his loyalty. Then Irenicus would have said something like " stupid Yoshi, I knew that you couldn't be trusted, fortunately I have other spies who spiked your food like ten times already! Mwahahaha!"

So the player will know the exact location of a lost artifact the next time playing? And every walkthrough can tell you how to get it. No mystery involved, unless you force the player to go through the same dialog before finding the place (lame).
Take Fallout and that special pistol for example. You know the one where you have to help a farmer to get rid his place of some raiders. The guy is always there. Now randomize it. You want this weapon because it's pretty good, so you run around the town looking for that random guy who unlocks that quest for you. Ok, it's random, but it's boring and time consuming. Are you enjoying the game while you are looking for things that you know are there? No. It's just a matter of taking your time to find them this time. Remember that book that was randomly generated in FO2? All you had to do, and every walkthrough told you that, was to run to every possible location and look for the book. Can't say it was a lot of fun because it was random.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There's nothing wrong with randomizing loot rewards in multiplayer-oriented Action RPGs, which was what my example was for. I certainly wouldn't want to see a randomized reward for a single player RPG in the vein of Fallout and Baldur's Gate, as anyone would likely save and reload until I got the desired reward.

I don't know if you like games like Sacred, Guild Wars and Diablo but randomizing rewards is one of the things about those games that pump up replayability. I can't remember the number of times I killed Baal or Mephisto just to get phat loot, even if it was phat loot I couldn't use personally, and had to trade.

The addition of set items to games like those just adds another layer of replayability. Getting rare and unique drops are good reasons to kill the boss again. Your attention span for games like these might not be long, but for every one of you, there's a thousand who enjoy that sort of gameplay. It's the only reason I've clocked hundreds of hours on Diablo 2.

Dungeon Siege wasn't much fun unless you played a Mage, because there just wasn't much for Warriors and Archers to do besides click on the next monster and wait for it to die, but I digress.

Back to the subject, adding a bunch of random skills that you can steal from bosses with a 'skill steal' ability to use yourself is another good layer of randomization, and something Guild Wars has, in addition to the usual accumulation of unique and set items. Randomizing stuff like this wouldn't at all work in a single player game, but in multiplayer-oriented games like GW and Diablo 2, the "Kiasu" mentality as the Singaporeans call it really encourages replayability. In games like these, greed is good, and most people want to have the best, prettiest stuff to 'one-up' everybody else. The fact that people just keep getting better and better items gives most players with this Kiasu mentality a reason to keep playing.

In fact, it would probably be one of the driving forces behind MMORPGs in general, if it wasn't for the levelling treadmills and all the other bits that aren't fun, like the slow, arduous combat against monsters 50 times more powerful than you (e.g. World of Warcraft). I quit that game when they gave every monster in the world a boost. The gathering of phat loot just wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
There's nothing wrong with randomizing loot rewards in multiplayer-oriented Action RPGs, which was what my example was for.
I agree, it works great there. I simply used "the setting" in your example since it was convinient. I didn't disagree with you.

I don't know if you like games like Sacred, Guild Wars and Diablo
Yep.

...but randomizing rewards is one of the things about those games that pump up replayability.
Agree

Human Shield

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
It may end up recreating the boredom of static quests. Using Exitium's example of "a Horde of (insert type of monster here. Could be anything from 'zombies' to 'trollocs") have been pillaging the town and we need your help..." the player would know that there is always a horde of some monsters bothering this town, and it wouldn't really make a difference whether it's a band of robbers or a group of zombies this time. They are the enemy to kill to claim your randomly generated reward (don't forget to save first to make sure that you get the shiny cool sword instead of the dagger of crappyness)

What if the motives of the town and the bandits are different each time?

And "random on pick up" is always a bad idea.

In most cases it would be like the randomly generated correct tomb in D2. Did you care that it was different every time? No. Do you try to figure which one is this time? No. You pickup the clue that leads you to the right one, and that's it. Random routine.

Didn't play D2, but would running straight through the correct one each time without picking up any clues be better?

Investigating the same mystery for the second time losses something.

Scripted. Let say that you have to get inside the building. There are guards outside, they are going around the building. There are 3 alarm points inside.

So you have the following possibilities:
the guards saw you and attacked immediately;
the guards saw you but it was too late, they go after you and set up an ambush in a previously designated (scripted) area or fight you if you are there;
the guard didn't see you but heard the alarm, based on the alarm location they go into the house to set up an ambush in the scripted location. If they are late (you may have triggered the alarm before leaving the area), and you have already left the amush area, they attack you if they see you.

But going through a second time, the player will know the alarm points. He could trip the alarm and then buff up for the ambush he knows will happen. Unless the layout is different.

Well, that's lazy Bio and their obsession with linearity to you. Otherwise, it would have been easy to set up a few situations that allow you to talk to that guy and either figure out that he's not what he seems or affect him and win his loyalty. Then Irenicus would have said something like " stupid Yoshi, I knew that you couldn't be trusted, fortunately I have other spies who spiked your food like ten times already! Mwahahaha!"

But then the player will always know the right things to ask and what he will do if actions are not taken. He gets to pick and choose an outcome he likes instead of reacting to the world (what PnP games try and do when the DM alters things).

Take Fallout and that special pistol for example. You know the one where you have to help a farmer to get rid his place of some raiders. The guy is always there. Now randomize it. You want this weapon because it's pretty good, so you run around the town looking for that random guy who unlocks that quest for you. Ok, it's random, but it's boring and time consuming. Are you enjoying the game while you are looking for things that you know are there? No. It's just a matter of taking your time to find them this time. Remember that book that was randomly generated in FO2? All you had to do, and every walkthrough told you that, was to run to every possible location and look for the book. Can't say it was a lot of fun because it was random.

This is a good point. But should CRPGs be designed to have the player get cool loot every time? Now this "easter egg" item is listed as required in walkthroughs, I think overpowered unique items are a bad idea.

Guess I would like to see a survivalist RPG where you never know what exploration will produce.

Random doesn't have to mean cheap. What if the weather is random and because of rain sneaking into a building is now harder, or a storm lost a caravan and a new quest is created to find the stuff. Or the success of a thief guild depending on the skill rolls of its members.

I guess I am talking about random elements playing a part in, overall, a much more dynamic and reactive world.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Human Shield said:
Now, that would be cool, no questions about it. If somebody can create random events of such a depth (we are talking about depth here, right? No "we want to destroy your town because [insert random reason here]") that would be great and probably even revolutionary.

Didn't play D2, but would running straight through the correct one each time without picking up any clues be better?
Didn't say it was better, it was the same.

Investigating the same mystery for the second time losses something.
That's why I don't like RPGs with a strong, very specific story. (some exceptions apply though - PST). I think that a story in RPG should be more of a guideline, flexible enough to allow you to make your own story within those guidelines. Mysteries and surprise twists don't fit well in there.

But going through a second time, the player will know the alarm points. He could trip the alarm and then buff up for the ambush he knows will happen. Unless the layout is different.
He will know only one alarm point. He may avoid it, but trip another. Or he may be spotted and attacked right away, or spotted and followed, or he may not trip the alarm at all, or he may trip the alarm, draw the patrol inside, and jump out the window and leave safely outside. There are plenty of outcomes.

But then the player will always know the right things to ask and what he will do if actions are not taken. He gets to pick and choose an outcome he likes instead of reacting to the world (what PnP games try and do when the DM alters things).
True, but you'll always know or at least get a good idea of what will happen to you, unless it's a different sub-genre like survival RPG or exploration RPG like DF. The only solution, the way I see it, is provide gameplay changing/affecting choices, so that the next time you're playing you could do something different, open up a new path, make new alliances, etc.

This is a good point. But should CRPGs be designed to have the player get cool loot every time? Now this "easter egg" item is listed as required in walkthroughs, I think overpowered unique items are a bad idea.
No arguing here.

Random doesn't have to mean cheap. What if the weather is random and because of rain sneaking into a building is now harder, or a storm lost a caravan and a new quest is created to find the stuff. Or the success of a thief guild depending on the skill rolls of its members.

I guess I am talking about random elements playing a part in, overall, a much more dynamic and reactive world.
It sounds good in theory, I'm not sure how much of an actual difference that woud make. In MOO there were random events that forced you to react to them, but I don't think that randomized gameplay and added anything to it.

RGE

Liturgist
Human Shield said:
If the character has the abilities needed to pick and choose, I don't see a problem with letting the player pick and choose. In the case of betrayal, it might take an attentive character to discover the betrayal, or perhaps the would-be betrayer might stay loyal to a charismatic character. Or perhaps the betrayal is cancelled when certain events play out, and all of those might not be the kind of events that such a player would willingly subject their character to once they know about them in advance.

Guess I would like to see a survivalist RPG where you never know what exploration will produce.
Never? I think a non-random main plot and a bunch of non-random locations works well enough as long as there's the opportunity to 'wander the wastes' looking for danger and loot. Fallout 1 & 2 did this rather well, but I would've liked to see the random elements better balanced to the character's offensive and defensive abilities.

It might be fun with an RPG where a non-random main plot contains virtually no loot or combat, so if the player wants the character to become dangerous they'd have to advance the character by 'wandering the wastes' in search for better weapons and armour. They would then be free to advance the plot in the non-random locations whenever they feel that they're able to defeat the local enemy. Fallout was a bit nice in this regard, and supplied the best weapons and armours in the non-random locations, which was probably much appreciated by those who wanted to kick ass without having to scour the wastes for powerful weapons and the ammo needed for them.

The player could also choose to use diplomacy or stealth to advance the plot, but that wouldn't require powerful weapons and armour, and thus the player wouldn't have to wander the wastes except when moving from one location to another. And since they would be somewhat vulnerable, perhaps they'd prefer to stick to caravans, or perhaps utilize some wilderness skill to avoid dangers. Fallout was a bit boring in that regard, as the Outdoorsman skill wasn't very useful for avoiding dangerous encounters, and there wasn't much point in avoiding the ones that weren't dangerous, since those were sources of XP. I blame D&D for making "kill for XP" a CRPG standard. :x

Sounds like a dream to me. Wonderful yet very difficult to achieve. And even if you can design a game this way, you'd have to balance the random elements so that the character can survive them, or the fun factor might go down the drain as the player has to rely more on luck than character stats.

If you have a world map you could create roving bands of enemies that move around the map according to semi-randomized behavior, and if they find a town they might attack, and if the player clears an area of such bands, it might stay safe for a while. Towns could then complain about recent attacks and travellers from other towns might have news of attacks on those towns, and whether the attackers or the town won, and how much was destroyed or looted. Kind of a more advanced Majesty.

For extra punch you could program the travellers to be merchants (affecting the supplies of local shops), mercenaries (defends towns/caravans) and people relevant to the main plot. They could then be able to tell the player where they have been and where they plan to go, and perhaps why they would plan to go to a certain place. Mercenaries might for instance cash in on attacks on a town and decide to not move for a while, or move to a nearby town that was recently attacked by raiders who then got away, or follow a merchant to some other town.

Depending on the sneakiness of raiders a town might have some forward warning of a coming attack, and mercenaries would then have a reason to stay and wait for the attack unless the raiders appear to be too tough. Raiders would also not be likely to head for a town that would be too difficult to attack, unless perhaps they manage to merge with other groups which should of course be handled by having the leaders duel each other for supremacy as they bump into each other in the wilderness. :twisted:

In the end though, nothing of this is needed for making a good old fashioned non-linear story RPG. But I like to dream. :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, especially when random stuff beyond the usual unimportant NPCs and loot is implemented poorly: Beyond Divinity's Battlegrounds. That's really bad. Sacred, which was a linear game featured random loot (like Diablo) as well as randomly generated quests, which all in all, weren't bad at all once they had the bugs petered out. Using parts of the main story as randomly generated stuff has a tendency to be pretty bad, unless the only things randomized were as I mentioned: location, reward, and type of monsters you face. Granted, a lot of these things would have to be predesigned. The monsters would have to be selected from a pool of monsters of that level and there would probably only be a few different predesigned locations with predesigned monster placement, instead of a randomly generated map with monsters everywhere.

Unless the engine's capable of generating realistically different terrain (e.g. snow, tundra, forest) for the same 'base map', and that there are several layouts for the base map, it's going to be pretty damn boring to slog through the same map over and over regardless of its 'environment'. Personally, I'd much rather go for an altogether predesigned map: much more memorable than some generic map with a fort in it in various environment settings. That just spells 'cheap'.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Vault Dweller said:
Human Shield said:
Now, that would be cool, no questions about it. If somebody can create random events of such a depth (we are talking about depth here, right? No "we want to destroy your town because [insert random reason here]") that would be great and probably even revolutionary.

When I think of "random events", this is the sort of thing I think of. There is more and more research in academia trying to deal with these sorts of issues. They often refer to these type of systems that create such plots to be "Interactive Drama" or "Interactive Storytelling" systems. What it boils down to is you have a setting, a number of possible actions (actions players can perfom and those that can be performed by the "storyteller"), some number of actions done by the player, and some sort of "loose script". What happens is according to the player's actions, or according to some action done by the storyteller on behalf of another character or environment, you fit the player's actions into the script.

If you wish to read more about this topic, here's a website that has links to academic papers on the subject. There is one thing to note, that currently the focus has been on using this for adventure type games. This is the case simply because they lend much more easily for testing these sorts of plot-driven interactive entertainment out since it removes a lot of the complexities inheirent in other game types. For example RPGs have levels, stats, etc that would add an extra layer of complexity.

This is actually a subject that I am completely engrossed in at them moment. I'll be graduating soon, and hope to find a grad school that will allow me to do research in this field.

And and for those people who want to read more but don't feel like scouring the web for more info you can read more here, here, and here.

Hajo

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
What happens is according to the player's actions, or according to some action done by the storyteller on behalf of another character or environment, you fit the player's actions into the script.

If you wish to read more about this topic, here's a website that has links to academic papers on the subject.

This is very intersting reading. Thanks a lot for the links. It helps to solve some of the problems that I'm facing with my (hobby) CRPG game project!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Saint_Proverbius said:
This thread wouldn't even exist if any of you guys actually spent some time playing Gearhead.

LOL, with the number of times you've mentioned Gearhead in different posts I'd think it'd be part of the website's name by now: "RPG CODEX: PUTTING THE 'ROLE' BACK INTO THE GEARHEAD RPG!" :lol:

Limorkil

Liturgist
Hajo said:
But Saint is right. GearHead has one of the most advanced automated story and dialog creation systems.

Unfortunately, I am not very interested in giant robot games, good though they may be.

I think theres a lot of potential for a great game that has randomly generated locations, quests and loot. Obviously the game would work better as more of an action game than a true RPG. I got a lot of mileage out of the original Diablo because of the randomness. Diablo 2 lacked the same degree of randomness in the locations, which is probably why I played it for a far shorter time. I am continually dissapointed that so many games don't even bother with random loot, which really can't be that hard to do.

As for people reloading to get better loot, all you do is generate the random items in advance so that you always get the same result even if you reload. Yes its prone to hacking, but people who are going to hack to get better items will do it regardless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom