Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Definition of cRPG

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
It might be that this issue is allready covered somewhere in the depths of forum, though considering the latest discussions about "role playing" as such, I feel need for fresh thread.

The question is simple, though answer is not - what is the most precise, the most universal definition of computer role playing game? Without running into examples - pure, mathematical definition and comments. Because otherwise I cannot participate in any discussion here on role-playing questions since it seems everybody has its own understanding. Like some of you start from the translation of the abbreviation cRPG - 'computer role playing game', thus the game where you play some role. Others look in past times and seek truth among ancient scriptures of PnP RPG, Dungeons And Dragons, as an example. While some other people consider every game that has some stats and you can influence them - an RPG. Where is truth? What is truth? Can game without any visible stat be called RPG? Can game without character development be called RPG? What defines RPG? These are questions I would really like to be answered before carrying on any discussion about role-playing features.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here we go again. A few links:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2543 (this one is very good)
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4315

Imo, an RPG is a game that allows you to play in a manner fitting your character using only your character's skills and abilities. For that purpose, a game should obviously have stats and skills that indicate both your character development, and ability to undertake certain tasks.

Without skills, you can do anything you want, and your success in any given task is meaningless.

Sarvis

Erudite
Kamaz said:
It might be that this issue is allready covered somewhere in the depths of forum, though considering the latest discussions about "role playing" as such, I feel need for fresh thread.

The question is simple, though answer is not - what is the most precise, the most universal definition of computer role playing game? Without running into examples - pure, mathematical definition and comments. Because otherwise I cannot participate in any discussion here on role-playing questions since it seems everybody has its own understanding. Like some of you start from the translation of the abbreviation cRPG - 'computer role playing game', thus the game where you play some role. Others look in past times and seek truth among ancient scriptures of PnP RPG, Dungeons And Dragons, as an example. While some other people consider every game that has some stats and you can influence them - an RPG. Where is truth? What is truth? Can game without any visible stat be called RPG? Can game without character development be called RPG? What defines RPG? These are questions I would really like to be answered before carrying on any discussion about role-playing features.

Essentially a CRPG is a game in which the character is represented by numbers and statistics, with the success of various actions being determined by random factors rather than player reflexes and coordination.

Role playing is not required, and in fact nearly impossible to achieve, in a computer game. These games are therefore "roleplaying games" in name only, and this is because they are computer descendents of true RPGs such as D&D. The similarities, and indeed what was carried over from D&D to the computer, are entirely within using stats and dice rolls to determine the success of a characters actions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
...with the success of various actions being determined by random factors rather than player reflexes and coordination.
Random factors? Don't you mean skills?

Role playing is not required, and in fact nearly impossible to achieve, in a computer game.
Huh? You are trully illiterate, Sarvis.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Sarvis said:
...with the success of various actions being determined by random factors rather than player reflexes and coordination.
Random factors? Don't you mean skills?

No, skills would fall under the category of stats. Random factors means dice rolls, or RNGs in computer games.

Role playing is not required, and in fact nearly impossible to achieve, in a computer game.
Huh? You are trully illiterate, Sarvis.[/quote]

Right, flame me because I have a different opinion from you. Mature and thoughtful all at the same time. You are truly a king among men.

Now go back and look at some of the earliest RPGs and tell me how much roleplaying was to be found. Very nearly 0. Gold Box games? You're choices were to walk around killing kobolds or walk around killing other kobolds.

Only recently are we starting to see choices in games that affect the storyline at all, and those are still few and far between. (A constant gripe around here!)

Even that is only barely roleplaying though, because you aren't really interacting with other people or making up what you do. You are choosing things to do, but those choices are all presented to you. You get the same kind of choices in those old choose your own adventure books, and while a fun read they weren't roleplaying.

The only modern games that can truly come close to roleplaying are MUDs, MMORPGs and games like The Sims.

IF you call even Geneforge 2 roleplaying I seriously question your sanity.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
No, skills would fall under the category of stats. Random factors means dice rolls, or RNGs in computer games.
It's not really as random. As your skills grow, so do your chances to succeed, reducing and almost eliminating the randomness. That's the whole point to develop your character to become good at what you want to do.

Right, flame me because I have a different opinion from you. Mature and thoughtful all at the same time. You are truly a king among men.
Flame? I made a rather polite reference to your rank, which seems to be well deserved. Around here, it's not a flame, it's a friendly greeting :wink:

Now go back and look at some of the earliest RPGs and tell me how much roleplaying was to be found.
Is that what you said? That there was little role-playing in the early games? That I would have agreed with, unfortunately, you said that "Role playing is not required, and in fact nearly impossible to achieve, in a computer game". The first statements is irrelevant, the second is false. Nice backpeddaling though.

Even that is only barely roleplaying though, because you aren't really interacting with other people or making up what you do. You are choosing things to do, but those choices are all presented to you.
So? You do realize that any given situation has a limited number of logical outcomes and choices? As long as a developer has provided them for you, and you can choose what makes sense, it's role-playing.

The only modern games that can truly come close to roleplaying are MUDs, MMORPGs and games like The Sims.
Riiight.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Sarvis said:
Only recently are we starting to see choices in games that affect the storyline at all.

Choices that affect story are only one part of the problem. Having choices that affect gameplay are just as important in defining and rewarding role play.

Sarvis said:
Even that is only barely roleplaying though, because you aren't really interacting with other people or making up what you do. You are choosing things to do, but those choices are all presented to you.

At the most rudimentary level, when creating a character - developing a concept, filling that out with skills/perks/feats, defining the role - you automatically limit the choices you make in game. Most roleplaying games have choices based on simple dichotomies - generosity/greed, honour/deception, good/evil. While imperfect, there's still a lot of room for role play.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Sarvis said:
It's not really as random. As your skills grow, so do your chances to succeed, reducing and almost eliminating the randomness. That's the whole point to develop your character to become good at what you want to do.

That depends very much on the system being used though. In D&D3.0 for instance you can have an insanely high skill level and still fail the skill check if you roll a 1, or if it's an opposed check and the rolls are just bad.

This is the stats <i>influencing</i> the success of an action, but the random factor is still very much present.

Flame? I made a rather polite reference to your rank, which seems to be well deserved. Around here, it's not a flame, it's a friendly greeting :wink:

My bad. I forgot illiterate was a rank around here... heh.

Is that what you said? That there was little role-playing in the early games? That I would have agreed with, unfortunately, you said that "Role playing is not required, and in fact nearly impossible to achieve, in a computer game". The first statements is irrelevant, the second is false. Nice backpeddaling though.

I'd say the first statement is very relevant considering we are discussing the definition of the genre! The second statement is also quite true.

Unless you are playing some form of online game you are not roleplaying. You are not deciding what your character would do, or truly making up the character and speaking/acting as if you were him.

I'm not trying to backpedal to old games either. You have to consider that when the RPG term was coined those games are all there were. The term refers to those games, and therefore that is what we should look at for the definition.

Most games today are hybrids of various genres. This is why so many people erroneously consider Legend of Zelda games as RPGs, when the only one that even qualifies is Zelda II which is an Action RPG hybrid.

The first "RPGs" were games in which stats and RNGs determined eveyrthing, and there were very few, if any, dialog options or "roleplay" opportunities. There have been games which evolved since then to contain much more, but the storyline elements now associated so strongly with RPGs only originated in that genre. Those elements actually translate quite well into any genre, which does NOT make those other games RPGs.

An FPS with a heavy story and dialog options which put Arcanum to shame is STILL an FPS.

The irony then being that you can roleplay better in that FPS than you could in most CRPGs.

So? You do realize that any given situation has a limited number of logical outcomes and choices? As long as a developer has provided them for you, and you can choose what makes sense, it's role-playing.

And yet, it is a constant complaint on these boards that games do not provide all the choices people would like.

I still maintain that choosing actions out of a list is not roleplaying. You end up trying to fit your character into the game's possibilities, not to mention that there is no true interaction with other people.

Oh yeah, great list of games which disprove my point there!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
That depends very much on the system being used though. In D&D3.0 for instance you can have an insanely high skill level and still fail the skill check if you roll a 1, or if it's an opposed check and the rolls are just bad.
1 is a critical failure, and merely represents an abysmal chance to fail to keep things somewhat realistic. Fallout max chance to hit was never more then 95% for the same reason. It's not random.

Take ToEE for example, at first you suck at hitting things, and the outcome is random. As you get better, you hit 7-9 out of 10 depending on your class/feats/items combo. That's not random, that's pretty good and consistent.

As for high difficulty that makes your skills irrelevant and forces you to gamble, that's bad design. Doesn't mean that you should succeed at anything you try, but the odds should be reasonable, anytime you are reloading 50 times to get a favourable roll, that's either bad design or you are abusing the system and just want that impossible roll (like banishing Iuz in ToEE)

This is the stats <i>influencing</i> the success of an action, but the random factor is still very much present.
Well, that's better then "the success of various actions being determined by random factor"

I'd say the first statement is very relevant considering we are discussing the definition of the genre!
So, we are discussing the definition of the genre, and you state that role-playing isn't required in rpgs? Care to elaborate?

The second statement is also quite true.
That role-playing is nearly impossible to achieve in CRPGs? Try Fallout, Arcanum, Geneforge, Prelude to Darkness, etc

Unless you are playing some form of online game you are not roleplaying. You are not deciding what your character would do, or truly making up the character and speaking/acting as if you were him.
It all depends on the design. Like I said, any situation has a limited number of outcomes, a good design gives you most of them. As long as you can solve a situation in a way that fits your character using your characters primary skills (i.e. fighter kills or intimidates, thief sneaks or steals or unlocks, etc), it's role-playing because you make a choice how to play and find ways that fit that choice. True, you can't choose the exact words, but if the point is the same, who cares?

I'm not trying to backpedal to old games either. You have to consider that when the RPG term was coined those games are all there were. The term refers to those games, and therefore that is what we should look at for the definition.
Why? The term refers to all RPGs: old, new, and in-between. Since most old games are unplayable now, the term, especially in the context of this discussion, refers to the new games. However, there were many old games like Ultima, Darklands, etc that did some amazing things that are impossible to find in many modern games.

An FPS with a heavy story and dialog options which put Arcanum to shame is STILL an FPS.
Is it an imaginary game just for example, or are you talking about something specific? Overall, a viewpoint doesn't define the genre, so if a first-person game has a character system, situations that could be handled differently, and a better-then-those-in-Acranum dialogues, then it's definitely an RPG. Why not?

The irony then being that you can roleplay better in that FPS than you could in most CRPGs.
I get a feeling you have an actual game in mind. Care to throw a name or do you prefer to speak in riddles?

And yet, it is a constant complaint on these boards that games do not provide all the choices people would like.
True, but most games suck ass these days, and a real RPG with choices and decent dialogues is hard to find. Not because it's impossible to make one (see my examples above), but because in many cases shit sells better these days. Look at Fable.

I still maintain that choosing actions out of a list is not roleplaying.
Let's say that your character needs to pass through a gate. You play a thief, and you decide to sneak in, climb the wall, or unlock it at night. You try to do that, and lo and behold, it's possible. Would the fact that somebody designed it that way bother you or would you enjoy the fact that you've thought of something and it worked?

...not to mention that there is no true interaction with other people.
Same applies. Of course, if you want to ask the guy whether or not he gets laid a lot, it's too bad. If you want to talk about something game relevant, there is no reason why such info shouldn't be there. Arcanum had great and extensive dialogues that contained a LOT of possibilities for different characters and styles

Oh yeah, great list of games which disprove my point there!
Point? What point? That MUDs, MMORPGs, and the SIMS are the only RPGs out there? I thought it was a flame bait. Anyway, if I was expected to list some games, I listed them in this post.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Not as often as he used to, but he still drops by every now and then.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

The only thing friendlier would be using lube.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
1 is a critical failure, and merely represents an abysmal chance to fail to keep things somewhat realistic. Fallout max chance to hit was never more then 95% for the same reason. It's not random.

Take ToEE for example, at first you suck at hitting things, and the outcome is random. As you get better, you hit 7-9 out of 10 depending on your class/feats/items combo. That's not random, that's pretty good and consistent.

But what is that determined by? Oh yeah, dice rolls. Dice rolls are random. I'm sorry if you don't understand what random means, but that doesn't mean that almost all RPG systems don't have elements of randomness in them.

I never said things were purely random either, just that things were determined more by dice rolls and stats than by player skill.

As for high difficulty that makes your skills irrelevant and forces you to gamble, that's bad design. Doesn't mean that you should succeed at anything you try, but the odds should be reasonable, anytime you are reloading 50 times to get a favourable roll, that's either bad design or you are abusing the system and just want that impossible roll (like banishing Iuz in ToEE)

Who the hell is talking about difficulty?

I spoke briefly about opposed skill checks in D&D3.0, but that has little to do with difficulty. The fact is that because of the high degree of randomness in that system a level 1 character has a fair chance of spotting a hidden level 20 char.

So, we are discussing the definition of the genre, and you state that role-playing isn't required in rpgs? Care to elaborate?

If you don't think I have elaborated you need to go back and re-read my posts.

That role-playing is nearly impossible to achieve in CRPGs? Try Fallout, Arcanum, Geneforge, Prelude to Darkness, etc

I have, they are not role playing.

Play some actual tabletop D&D and roleplay, then compare that to a completely non-interactive video game and maybe you'll see the difference.

You might go so far as to say you are _acting_ in some of the "better" RPGs out there, but you are acting and speaking in exactly the ways defined by the programmer. For instance, I tend to play very taciturn characters who would simply nod or just wait for a person to continue speaking. There are almost never any options to do that in RPGs. Therefore I can't roleplay my character, I can only follow the script written by the designers. No matter how many actual choices there are...

The extremely loose definition you are using for roleplaying would make Quake an RPG! In that game you can choose to kill monsters or sneak past them, so you can roleplay either a sneaky guy or a violent guy! Hell, with so little character interaction written into that game you can pretty much imagine anything you want happening and call that RP.

Why? The term refers to all RPGs: old, new, and in-between. Since most old games are unplayable now, the term, especially in the context of this discussion, refers to the new games. However, there were many old games like Ultima, Darklands, etc that did some amazing things that are impossible to find in many modern games.

Why?

Because when the term was coined modern RPGs did not exist. The term referred to the games made when the term was made up. To constantly change the definition of that term to mean other games just because you want to would pretty much dilute the meaning entirely. It's bad enough people thing Zelda is an RPG as is!

Is it an imaginary game just for example, or are you talking about something specific? Overall, a viewpoint doesn't define the genre, so if a first-person game has a character system, situations that could be handled differently, and a better-then-those-in-Acranum dialogues, then it's definitely an RPG. Why not?

No, I'm making one up here.

Maybe there is something out there like I describe... I dunno. But let's put it this way, take all of the dialog options out of Arcanum and put them into Quake. But the gameplay remains exactly the same, with no changes at all.

Would you still consider that an RPG? I sure as hell wouldn't, I'd consider it an FPS with good story and dialogue. Maybe an Adventure FPS or something.

It's not about the perspective, it is about the <i>gameplay</i>.

You can inject story and dialogue into any style of gameplay you want, therefore it is the style of gameplay that must determine the genre of the game. In cases of mixed gameplay elements we get hybrids. Pure Adventure games are (I'm told) about puzzle solving like in King's Quest. Action games are about pure twitch reflexes. Zelda contains elements of both styles of game, so it is an Action Adventure game.

It is not an RPG just because the game has dialog and story.

True, but most games suck ass these days, and a real RPG with choices and decent dialogues is hard to find. Not because it's impossible to make one (see my examples above), but because in many cases shit sells better these days. Look at Fable.

They may "suck ass" in your opinion, but they are RPGs. Well, I don't know much about fables gameplay but I would gues it is a hybrid Action RPG. I don't know if the game has stats or not though, or puzzle solving... in which case it might just be an Action game!

Let's say that your character needs to pass through a gate. You play a thief, and you decide to sneak in, climb the wall, or unlock it at night. You try to do that, and lo and behold, it's possible. Would the fact that somebody designed it that way bother you or would you enjoy the fact that you've thought of something and it worked?

I'd enjoy it, but I wouldn't call it roleplaying. I'd call it gameplay.

Same applies. Of course, if you want to ask the guy whether or not he gets laid a lot, it's too bad. If you want to talk about something game relevant, there is no reason why such info shouldn't be there. Arcanum had great and extensive dialogues that contained a LOT of possibilities for different characters and styles

What if you want to flirt with the cute barmaid? What if you want to help the two people waiting on opposite sides of the water fountain find each other? (Those idiots are in like every FF game, and I always want to just whap them in the head and yell turn around!)

Point? What point? That MUDs, MMORPGs, and the SIMS are the only RPGs out there? I thought it was a flame bait. Anyway, if I was expected to list some games, I listed them in this post.

No, they are not the only RPGs out there... they are the only games in which you can roleplay out there.

Sarvis

Erudite
By the way, here's what Wikipedia has to say on the matter:

"CRPGs, in general, are derivative of paper-and-pencil based role-playing games (RPGs) such as Dungeons & Dragons. For example, the vast majority of video-game RPGs assign various attributes to the characters, such as hit points (HP), magic points (MP), and levels. These games also tend to borrow the narrative structure of many paper-and-pencil RPGs; usually a group of heroes (a party) is sent on some sort of quest. Along the way, the adventurers face an endless barrage of enemies and monsters (often inspired by real-world mythology).

Video-game RPGs sometimes involve intricate plots and character development as characters advance through a large number of statistics, items and abilities. Players must usually choose which of several possible combinations of these things to acquire for their character in order to advance, and if possible, win the game.

CRPGs are sometimes frowned upon by PnP (pen-and-paper) players. There are several reasons for this, such as CRPGs tend to emphasise simply building a powerful character over the character's history and motivations. PnP players consider this powergaming as opposed to actually "role-playing."" -

There was another definition I saw somewhere that was even more strongly like what I was saying, but I don't feel like looking that up.

The essential point is that you can put ALL the "roleplaying" elements you guys are talking about into any type of game. Even a sports game or something. This would not make those games RPGs.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sarvis said:
Only recently are we starting to see choices in games that affect the storyline at all, and those are still few and far between. (A constant gripe around here!)
This statement disputes your earlier argument in its entirety. You originally said that role-playing is impossible in cRPGs, and now you're saying that lately, exceptions can be made. So which is it?

For the same reason that I do not consider LARPs to be role-playing games, simply role-acting an advanced version of cops and robbers (or cowboys and indians), I do not consider MUDs and MMORPGs where players pretend to be characters by typing out their actions rather than relying on actual decision making or dice rolling to be role-playing games. Most MUDs and all MMORPGs are simply an electronic version of cops and robbers with a few more constraints, less freedom, the added burden of time/money sinks and treadmill gameplay to advance to the next area.

The Sims is a life simulation, not an RPG.

Role-playing games aren't about 'pretending'. That would be acting.

Sarvis

Erudite
Exitium said:
This statement disputes your earlier argument in its entirety. You originally said that role-playing is impossible in cRPGs, and now you're saying that lately, exceptions can be made. So which is it?

I have maintained pretty consistantly that simply making choices from a list in a video game does not equal roleplaying.

For the same reason that I do not consider LARPs to be role-playing games, simply role-acting an advanced version of cops and robbers (or cowboys and indians), I do not consider MUDs and MMORPGs where players pretend to be characters by typing out their actions rather than relying on actual decision making or dice rolling to be role-playing games. Most MUDs and all MMORPGs are simply an electronic version of cops and robbers with a few more constraints, less freedom, the added burden of time/money sinks and treadmill gameplay to advance to the next area.

I think maybe we need to come to a consensus on what "roleplaying" means.

From Wikipedia:

"In role-playing, participants adopt characters, or parts, that have personalities, motivations, and backgrounds different from their own. Role-playing is like being in an improvisational drama or free-form theatre, in which the participants are the actors who are playing parts." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing

MUDs, LARPs, and even The Sims seem to meet this definition of roleplaying pretty well of you ask me. You may consider it just playing advanced "cops and robbers," but that game is also a sort of roleplaying.

The Sims is a life simulation, not an RPG.

I never said The Sims was a CRPG, I just said you could roleplay in it.

Remember guys, I am arguing that roleplaying is not necessary for a game to be a CRPG.

Role-playing games aren't about 'pretending'. That would be acting.

Actually... pretending is pretty much what all games are about.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
But what is that determined by? Oh yeah, dice rolls. Dice rolls are random. I'm sorry if you don't understand what random means....
Ahhh, it burns, flaming sneak-attack! lol

Dice rolls or RNG are definitely random, BUT! - and that's an important "but", that's where you skills come into play. As you get better, and your skills get higher, the outcomes shift from depending on lucky random rolls to skills high enough to balance out most unlucky rolls. Example: you need to hit a guy with AC 20. When you suck and have only 2-3 "to hit", the outcome is random. When you have 15-17 plus buffs, you are almost guaranteed a successful hit due to your skills, feats, and buffs management.

I never said things were purely random either, just that things were determined more by dice rolls and stats than by player skill.
Uh, I think you did. May I present the Court exhibit A:

"...the success of various actions being determined by random factors rather than player reflexes and coordination"

Who the hell is talking about difficulty?

I spoke briefly about opposed skill checks in D&D3.0, but that has little to do with difficulty. The fact is that because of the high degree of randomness in that system a level 1 character has a fair chance of spotting a hidden level 20 char.
First of all, it's still difficulty, only the insufficient level of it, from your point of view, and second, it's silly to build your argument about genres and game systems on level 1 characters. It's like saying that an FPS is too easy because you have only one gun and can kill everyone with it in the first game level.

Anyway, ok, lvl1 char can spot a lvl 20 char. And? No degree of randomness can help him to kill a lvl 20 character. No way, no how. So, it's not as random as you speak.

If you don't think I have elaborated you need to go back and re-read my posts.
Nice cop-out. Obviously, I don't think that you have elaborated enough. So, if you can find some time in your otherwise busy schedule to present your position in a thoughtful manner, I'd appreciate that.

I have, they are not role playing.
Aha, so, let me get this straight. MMORPGs are true rpgs because you can say any stupid thing you actually want, but games like Fallout and Arcanum are not, in fact, RPGs? Ookay.

Play some actual tabletop D&D and roleplay, then compare that to a completely non-interactive video game and maybe you'll see the difference.
I have. I know the difference. Yet, I won't say that there could be no role-playing in CRPGs.

For instance, I tend to play very taciturn characters who would simply nod or just wait for a person to continue speaking. There are almost never any options to do that in RPGs. Therefore I can't roleplay my character, I can only follow the script written by the designers. No matter how many actual choices there are...
Well, that's nitpicking, imo, and that could be easily fixed by adding a "continue" option in addition to a longer "I understand. Tell me more" response. It's not really an issue, it's like saying that my character must wear red pants, as his whole identity revolves around red pants and without such pants he's nothing! NOTHING!" lol, and since the game doesn't have any red pants, it's not an RPG.

The extremely loose definition you are using for roleplaying would make Quake an RPG! In that game you can choose to kill monsters or sneak past them, so you can roleplay either a sneaky guy or a violent guy! Hell, with so little character interaction written into that game you can pretty much imagine anything you want happening and call that RP.
Really? I can sneak past many monsters? I can beat the game by sneaking? Can I pick locks on closed doors? Can I talk to them to? To answer your question, if someone adds options that, as per my definition, allow players to handle situations differently, and throw in skills that would go with that, then yeah, it would be a cool little game.

Maybe there is something out there like I describe... I dunno. But let's put it this way, take all of the dialog options out of Arcanum and put them into Quake. But the gameplay remains exactly the same, with no changes at all.

Would you still consider that an RPG? I sure as hell wouldn't, I'd consider it an FPS with good story and dialogue. Maybe an Adventure FPS or something.

It's not about the perspective, it is about the <i>gameplay</i>.
Of course, I agree, but if you paid attention, I also said "a character system, situations that could be handled differently...". If a game can do all that plus good dialogues, then I would call it an RPG.

It is not an RPG just because the game has dialog and story.
Never said that. Look at my definition at the beginning of the thread.

They may "suck ass" in your opinion, but they are RPGs.
Wait a second, didn't you like argue a minute ago that there are no role-playing in RPGs, or are you talking about names only?

Oh, well, at least you can enjoy a good thing, even if you don't recognize it.

What if you want to flirt with the cute barmaid? What if you want to help the two people waiting on opposite sides of the water fountain find each other?
Rather idiotic examples, don't you think? People around the water fountains simply should n't be in games. As for the barmaid, if she could help you somehow, then the proper options should be there. If you just want to say hi and have a mindless chat, but can't, it doesn't mean that role-playing in this game sucks.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Sarvis said:

But that -is- roleplaying. Why? Simple.

You're playing a thief and you run up against aforementioned obstacle. PLAYING in character, you come up with one of many solutions to the problem and work with it only to be rewarded with the satisfaction that it did the job. You ROLEPLAYED your part well and made it through. Sure, it's gameplay. But isn't any damn game you play? The difference between this and some no-brain shooter is the fact you actually had to roleplay your character to figure out the problem rather than shoot through it. Duh.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Ahhh, it burns, flaming sneak-attack! lol

Dice rolls or RNG are definitely random, BUT! - and that's an important "but", that's where you skills come into play. As you get better, and your skills get higher, the outcomes shift from depending on lucky random rolls to skills high enough to balance out most unlucky rolls. Example: you need to hit a guy with AC 20. When you suck and have only 2-3 "to hit", the outcome is random. When you have 15-17 plus buffs, you are almost guaranteed a successful hit due to your skills, feats, and buffs management.

No, sorry. You still don't seem to understand.

Look, it is still random even if it is influenced by skills. You are still rolling a dice to determine the outcome. You have shifted the odds to your favor with higher skills, but even you admit success is not gauranteed. You _could_ roll badly several times in a row and still fail that way.

You are never removing the randomness from the system.

There was one module in NWN I played where you walked into a room fool of Bodaks. My Fort save was well above what it needed to be to be safe, but I would _always_ die within three rounds just because of the sheer number of attempts they had and critical failure.

That is random.

Uh, I think you did. May I present the Court exhibit A:

"...the success of various actions being determined by random factors rather than player reflexes and coordination"

Yes, nitpicking will definately prove you are correct.

Success IS determined by random factors. If it weren't, you would not roll dice.

You're skills influence that roll, but success is still determined by that random factor.

First of all, it's still difficulty, only the insufficient level of it, from your point of view, and second, it's silly to build your argument about genres and game systems on level 1 characters. It's like saying that an FPS is too easy because you have only one gun and can kill everyone with it in the first game level.

Anyway, ok, lvl1 char can spot a lvl 20 char. And? No degree of randomness can help him to kill a lvl 20 character. No way, no how. So, it's not as random as you speak.

I'm not building my argument on that... I'm trying to explain what randomness is to you at this point.

And we weren't talking about killing the level 20 char. However, if the level 20 char is badly injured and the level 1 char gets initiative, then rolls a natural 20 he might very well take out that level 20 char. Personally, I don't think there should be any way for a level 1 char to injure a level 20 char... just doesn't make sense to me. But that's what you get with randomness and critical success/failure.

Nice cop-out. Obviously, I don't think that you have elaborated enough. So, if you can find some time in your otherwise busy schedule to present your position in a thoughtful manner, I'd appreciate that.

*groan*

Simply put, you can put roleplaying into any other genre of game at least as much as you can into normal CRPGs. This does not make those other games CRPGs however. If you took heavy storyline elements, and large branching dialogs and choices which affected the storyline, then went and injected all of that into an NHL Hockey game you would have a Sports game rather than an RPG. Therefore those elements do not make a game an RPG.

Further, the original CRPGs were very light on storyline and had almost non-existant dialog, and absolutely no gameplay or story affecting choices.

Since those were CRPGs without having those elements, which you consider the ability to roleplay, we must define the term without it requiring roleplay.

The term, of course, comes more from the fact that these games descended from true RPGs such as D&D. It is more of a reference to their forbears than a statement of what they are, and this is perhaps why many people get confused.

Many people, in fact, look at the heavy storyline and dialog (though not necessarily choices) in most modern RPGs and infer that this is what makes up an RPG. Then they go on to call games like The Legend of Zelda an RPG, which irks me to no end since Zelda is an Action Adventure title.

Worse yet, to the limited extent you can roleplay on a computer you are actually playing a role in every game you play. I never delivered papers in my life for instance, but for 50 cents I was the best paperboy in the world for a good 10 minutes or so! However that does not make every game an RPG either.

Aha, so, let me get this straight. MMORPGs are true rpgs because you can say any stupid thing you actually want, but games like Fallout and Arcanum are not, in fact, RPGs? Ookay.

I did not say those games were not RPGs. I said you could not roleplay in them. Why can't you guys seperate the two things I am saying?

Remember I am demonstrated that roleplaying is not required in a CRPG! So when I say that you can not roleplay in a game I am not saying the game is not an RPG.

However, as I have explained above, even with your definition of roleplaying it is not required for a game to be a CRPG.

Well, that's nitpicking, imo, and that could be easily fixed by adding a "continue" option in addition to a longer "I understand. Tell me more" response. It's not really an issue, it's like saying that my character must wear red pants, as his whole identity revolves around red pants and without such pants he's nothing! NOTHING!" lol, and since the game doesn't have any red pants, it's not an RPG.

Riiigggghhhhttttt.

Not being able to act the way my character should be acting is exactly the same as not having red pants. It all makes perfect sense now!

Really? I can sneak past many monsters? I can beat the game by sneaking? Can I pick locks on closed doors? Can I talk to them to? To answer your question, if someone adds options that, as per my definition, allow players to handle situations differently, and throw in skills that would go with that, then yeah, it would be a cool little game.

At least you stopped yourself from saying it would be an RPG. But whether or not it would be an RPG is the question isn't it?

I doubt you could beat Quake entirely by sneaking, but I'm almost positive you could avoid some fights if you wanted to. Point being, you can roleplay. Complaining that you can't pick likes is like complaining that there are no red pants!

Of course, I agree, but if you paid attention, I also said "a character system, situations that could be handled differently...". If a game can do all that plus good dialogues, then I would call it an RPG.

But very few RPGs through time have had those things.

And if you are still shooting things with a bazooka and aiming with your mouse I wouldn't consider it an RPG, because the fundamental gameplay is different no matter how many situations could be handled differently or how strong the character system is.

Wait a second, didn't you like argue a minute ago that there are no role-playing in RPGs, or are you talking about names only?

Huh? I am talking about the term CRPG which we are trying to define here. Those games are CRPGs, despite not having what you consider to be roleplay elements.

Rather idiotic examples, don't you think? People around the water fountains simply should n't be in games. As for the barmaid, if she could help you somehow, then the proper options should be there. If you just want to say hi and have a mindless chat, but can't, it doesn't mean that role-playing in this game sucks.

It means the RP is nonexistant.

However it does not mean the game is not an RPG.

The helping people on the opposite sides of the fountain is in many games, at least several FF games and nI think some others... but it is also a metaphor for many other very simple things a character might want to help with but cannot.

You can call it bad design, but developers will never be able to put in every possible option for a game.

That's why you have live DMs, because they can handle whatever crazy idea you come up with in real time by adapting.

That is why yo uneed other people to roleplay with, because they can roleplay their own responses to anything you decide your character should say. And you can do the same.

Picking options from an ever diminishing list of choices is not roleplaying, it's reading a choose your own adventure book.

kris

Arcane
A heavy or strict story does not "take the roleplay out of the roleplaying game" in any way. It just limits freedom and is very far from the spirit of PnP, where you actually can be quite limited depending on GM and campaign etc. As long as you are playing a role you are roleplaying. It is just that we hate limitations on our freedom and mechanics that won't let us play as we want that makes us say it is not a roleplaying game. But roleplaying by definition is not about you playing the role you want (time and again ;)).

crufty

Arcane
At a broad level, a cRPG is all about choices. Can you select your character? Can you control your character's growth? Can you achieve goals the way you want to achieve goals? Does the game change in response to your actions? Does success depend on factors other than your own cognitive abilities? And, as kris said, can you play someone who is not yourself? The fewer choices, the less the game is a cRPG and the more it is some other genre.

Sarvis

Erudite
crufty said:
At a broad level, a cRPG is all about choices. Can you select your character? Can you control your character's growth? Can you achieve goals the way you want to achieve goals? Does the game change in response to your actions? Does success depend on factors other than your own cognitive abilities? And, as kris said, can you play someone who is not yourself? The fewer choices, the less the game is a cRPG and the more it is some other genre.

Are you saying Dragon Warrior is not an RPG?

kris:

I'll accept your definition of roleplaying.

However, once this is done we cannot use roleplaying as a useful tool to define the genre. All games have roleplaying. In quake you play the role of a trigger happy mercenary, in Spider Man 2 you play the role of Spider Man.

So perhaps I would be more correct to say roleplaying is no more a specific element of an RPG than it is of any other game.

What are we left with then? Stats, dice rolls and character progression. Note that when I say character progression I am referring to levels and skills...

That is the heart of what CRPGs are, and anything else is just extraneous bonus material. More to the point, anything else can be applied to any genre of game and therefore cannot be used to make a useful distinction between genres.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
Vault Dweller said:
Look, it is still random even if it is influenced by skills. You are still rolling a dice to determine the outcome. You have shifted the odds to your favor with higher skills, but even you admit success is not gauranteed.
Success should never be guaranteed, but good skills make it as close to that as possible. That's the whole point that you've failed to grasp. The better you are the harder it is for you to fail. Random = unpredictability. Skills = pattern. Like I said, when I hit 7/10 at a certain skill level, it's not random. That's what skills do.

You _could_ roll badly several times in a row and still fail that way.
The odds of that are very small (assuming that you are talking about rolling 1 3 times in a row). However, even if you are that unlucky, you have to look at the whole game. If it was as random as you describe, games would be constant reload fests. They are not, and that proves you wrong.

And we weren't talking about killing the level 20 char. However, if the level 20 char is badly injured and the level 1 char gets initiative, then rolls a natural 20 he might very well take out that level 20 char. Personally, I don't think there should be any way for a level 1 char to injure a level 20 char... just doesn't make sense to me. But that's what you get with randomness and critical success/failure.
First, if you had to start throwing "what if" points - i.e. what if he's wounded, what if he's lost all his good stuff, what if he's poisoned and dying anyway, etc - is there a point to be made?

If you took heavy storyline elements, and large branching dialogs and choices which affected the storyline, then went and injected all of that into an NHL Hockey game you would have a Sports game rather than an RPG. Therefore those elements do not make a game an RPG.
Nope. Sorry. Doesn't fly. If you add a story and dialogues, it stops being a sport game right there, and becomes something else ranging from adventure to RPG, depending on what you add, set in a sport setting.

Further, the original CRPGs were very light on storyline and had almost non-existant dialog, and absolutely no gameplay or story affecting choices.

Since those were CRPGs without having those elements, which you consider the ability to roleplay, we must define the term without it requiring roleplay.
Just because there were some dungeon crawlers some time ago, doesn't mean that we have to ignore games that had story, dialogues, and choices, and focus on the former just because they fit your cute little theory.

I did not say those games were not RPGs. I said you could not roleplay in them. Why can't you guys seperate the two things I am saying?
Uh, because we can role-play in them? Because we can play different characters the way we want?

Remember I am demonstrated that roleplaying is not required in a CRPG!
*Alert!* Priceless signature material is detected! *Alert!*

So when I say that you can not roleplay in a game I am not saying the game is not an RPG.
Well, you see, we aren't talking about some pseudo RPGs where there is no role-playing. We are talking about games that are RPGs, and what defines them.

However, as I have explained above, even with your definition of roleplaying it is not required for a game to be a CRPG.
Disagree.

Riiigggghhhhttttt.

Not being able to act the way my character should be acting is exactly the same as not having red pants. It all makes perfect sense now!
Saying that you can't role-play just because you can't shrug a certain way is exactly like complaining about pants.

But very few RPGs through time have had those things.
Proves that it's not impossible (see your original statement)

And if you are still shooting things with a bazooka and aiming with your mouse I wouldn't consider it an RPG, because the fundamental gameplay is different no matter how many situations could be handled differently or how strong the character system is.
If shooting things with a bazooka is just one out of many ways to play the game, and if the mouse merely indicates direction of attack, and then my weapon skills take over, then I would consider it an RPG.

Huh? I am talking about the term CRPG which we are trying to define here. Those games are CRPGs, despite not having what you consider to be roleplay elements.
Well, although there are many definitions provided by all kinda morons, but here, at RPG Codex, we talk about RPGs where RP actually stands for something.

It means the RP is nonexistant.

However it does not mean the game is not an RPG.
It seems to me that RP for you is mostly conversations. For me, it's about choices when handling different situations.

Picking options from an ever diminishing list of choices is not roleplaying, it's reading a choose your own adventure book.
The same could be said about anything else. Take your favourite conversation thing. By now, I'm aware of your position, and of the arguments you are using. You may think that you are instantly role-playing here, thinking up responses as you go, but technically, it's just picking from the list of choices available to you and sorted down by your own character development. I'm not sure how long you've been hanging around here, but take a look at this forum, everyone, including myself, is predictable. If I were to post a news post right now, I know what most people would say: Saint, Volourn, Exitium, Role-Player, etc. So, while we may think that we are about to make the most original point evar, to the others it's merely picking an option they expect you to.

Astromarine

Erudite
Sarvis, you are being moronic. You are arguing from the flawed premise of binary definitions. Either something allows unlimited choice and possibility, and it is a roleplaying game, or it limits you in some way and is therefore NOT roleplaying.

Also, there is a second fallacy of your argument: the fact that the definition of RPG has to be immutable, and was frozen in time when Akallabeth was released.

What most people here are trying to make you understand is that both these ideas are wrong.

A cRPG is nothing less than the attempt to code a P&PRPG using computers. The tool used to attempt that translation, the computer, has evolved since the Apple 2 and Akallabeth, and therefore so has the "completeness" of the translation. While at the beginning only the mathematical rule model and a linear path was possible, the advances since then in hardware performance, and game theory, have allowed for a greater portion of the P&P experience to be translated. Now it is possible for developers to give us storylines and gameplay which branches in several points, so that two people who choose differently since the baginning of the game telling each other how it went will relate two completely different experiences. Of course, most developers choose to still limit their game to the older formula, but that doesn't change the fact that the possibility is there.

Let's face it: in 90% of the P&P RPGs, there will not be more possible branches planned than in a cRPG. A GM will prepare a storyline, and leave the details fuzzy so that the players, whose gameplay possibilities are chosen from a finite set, can tailor those details to their style and choices. Granted, there are completely freeform stories made up on-the-fly by the whole group, but let's face it: unless they are VERY good and know each other VERY well, these will mostly suck. When I was a GM, and I decided that some event would happen, it simply would, even though I gave the players some choice of where and when based on their movements prior to the event, and complete choice on how they react to it.

Therefore, your point where a game is not an RPG unless it gives you COMPLETE freedom is both naive, because in P&P you also don't have complete freedom, and invalid, because cRPGs are the best possible approach to P&P, where developers prune the universe of choices to a meaningful set that can be a) accurately portrayed and b) fun to play. You are saying that a game where a dev gives you the choice between some possible reactions to an event is not an RPG (or at least not "roleplaying") unless you ALSO have the option "do nothing, go home, masturbate into an old sock, then kill myself".That's just retarded

kris

Arcane
And for some roleplaying is about the effect they have on the world and for some it is about amount of personality in the characters... Noone is exactly right or wrong, but I do agree more with Vault dweller when it comes to defining CRPGs. I feel the choices you can make is a integral part of them.

But as long as we are not set in our opinion we could agree that any game slated to be a crpg should be judged by how enjoyable it is, not by how much freedom it entails. Where Morrowind had a gameworld with freedom it lacked "life".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom