Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Gamespot, Feargus and NWN2

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com" target=_blank>Gamespot</a> has yet another <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinternights2/preview_6104913.html" target?_blank>brief piece and a video</a> with uncle Feargie ("the Legendary Legend"). Here's a bit of the usual snippage:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We sat down with Obsidian president Feargus Urquhart, who was understandably guarded with details. If nothing else, the studio will attempt to capitalize on the greatest strengths of the original Neverwinter Nights--a game that had both a compelling single-player campaign and powerful editing tools to create custom adventures. But Urquhart added some cryptic remarks about how his own highly experienced staff not only has worked on RPGs for years, but has also played RPGs and observed the "direction in which role-playing games have been heading." <u>Urquhart suggested that in some cases, classic RPGs may have more compelling features than more-modern games that have perhaps gone off in divergent directions</u>.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
What's been up with Feargus lately one may ask. Saying all <i>"the right things"</i>(tm), he seems intent on making it harder for people to poke fun at his previous "slam dunks", and if he delivers - hell, I'll have no problem with having to respect him. Bring it <b>on</b>, I say!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, while I think he was somewhat quick to lump all Fallout fans into the same bag in some recent interview, I appreciate his honesty nonetheless. Being your own boss probably has something to do with it.

Though I can't help but wonder, is he getting props for stating the obvious or for his honesty?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Though I can't help but wonder, is he getting props for stating the obvious or for his honesty?

In this time of "consolitis" and games streamlining, those few words are worth quite much even though they might not amount to much in the end.We'll see. It's still pretty cool that someone can say - we can learn from the past, especially from "MR RT PARTICUL FX". Not that I think he's changed his mind on that particular issue... ;)

Voss

Erudite
I want to see those games first.

Especially considering how many people has to answer to for these games.
Bioware + Atari, Wizards, Hasbro
Bioware + LucasArts
Plus the 'what fans of the originals want' factor.

Too little free reign to be really supportive ahead of time.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Feargus Urquhart is the man!

Seriously folks, the things he's been saying lately pretty much echo the thoughts of the entire 'hardcore' CRPG community. It's good to know that 'one of our own' is has got his balls deep in the business.

Spazmo

Erudite
We'll see how 'hardcore' he is when KOTOR2 and NWN2 are released (though I don't intend to examine the latter firsthand). Actually, I'd concede that Feargus is 'hardcore' here and now if he'd announce that Obsidian was going to stop making sequels to other people's games and do something really, genuinely interesting.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, I really wonder how much of his stuff was IPLY pulling at his strings when he was talking about cool particle FX at BIS, considering he probably knew about their taking a different turn towards things.

Seven

Erudite
Talk about jumping on the bandwagon; I'll see how his games come out, although I am kind of leaning towards the side of optimism.

Briosafreak

Augur
Spazmo said:
We'll see how 'hardcore' he is when KOTOR2 and NWN2 are released (though I don't intend to examine the latter firsthand). Actually, I'd concede that Feargus is 'hardcore' here and now if he'd announce that Obsidian was going to stop making sequels to other people's games and do something really, genuinely interesting.

Right on brother. Even then...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom