Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3D news from CRPG.ru

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance 3D; MISTLand

I love those <a href="http://www.crpg.ru">CRPG.ru</A> guys. They know I don't speak a lick of Russian, so they send me the info in English. I probably couldn't even pronounce their names. Anyway, they passed along some info about <A href="http://www.strategyfirst.com/games/GameInfo.asp?sLanguageCode=EN&iGameID=126&sSection=Overview">Jagged Alliance 3D</a> and where <A href="http://www.mistgames.ru/eng/main.shtml">MISTland</a> is headed with it. Here's all the info:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Greetings!
<br>
<br>
We have got some exclusive info at <A href="http://www.crpg.ru">CRPG.ru</a> about "Jagged Alliance 3D":
<br>
<br>
"Strategy First" has accepted design documentation for the game, so we have contacted with Yaroslav Astakhov - head of the developers team and he has provided some details:
<br>
<br>
The size of game locations will be 200x200 meters. You cannot destroy walls, but furniture and doors will be destroyable.
<br>
<br>
There will be multy-storey buildings
<br>
<br>
You can freely rotate camera or switch to one of several fixed positions.
<br>
<br>
The story takes place in Africa in 1990-s
<br>
<br>
Character development and combat mechanics will be exactly the same as in original game (weapon improvement possibilities will also remain).
<br>
<br>
There's no final decision on looting yet - whether dead enemies will retain all their equipment or not.
<br>
<br>
Character inventory will remain the same as in original game, but will be hidden until opened, as well as character screen.
<br>
<br>
Actual work will be started in september, and release date will be announced later.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Kind of a bummer about the lack of destructable walls.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <A href="http://www.crpg.ru">CRPG.ru</a>!
<br>

Shevek

Arcane
Well, demolitions was the weakest part of JA2. Im a lil disappointed that it isnt in JA3D but, honestly, I think they went overboard with it in SS. It should still be able to compete considering that JA3D will have the whole financial aspect and merc personailty angle (where some well with others and some fight with others, etc) and SS doesnt realy have a parallel to that.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Where's the cream filling?

Weren't you able to destroy walls in JA2? It was much harder than in SS, but it was possible. That's unfortunate, really. I was hoping to be able to sneak Fidel into an enemy compound and lay explosives around a building and watch it collapse.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Yeah, I really loved that part in Ja2. Making a bomb and blowing up a wall somewhere to get inside a complex was an important part of the game sometimes. Everyone has their style though, some snipe, some do it quake style. The AI reacted to it nicely as well, everyone rushed to the spot and got gunned down by my team with interruptions. The fun started when I didn't get interruptions or the enemy had grenades.

A pity. But the rest of the news is pretty good.

Briosafreak

Augur
I really don`t believe the publisher of the game will still be around by December, it would be a shame to see the game scraped too though.

Anonymous

No destructable walls? I think Silent Storm is already gaining the edge here, then.

I've been playing SS alot lately and it's awesome TO TEH MAXXX, so JA3/D better be pretty darn good if they wanna skimp on features, especially considering they said it'd be in development for a few years.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Re: Where's the cream filling?

Greenskin13 said:
Weren't you able to destroy walls in JA2? It was much harder than in SS, but it was possible. That's unfortunate, really. I was hoping to be able to sneak Fidel into an enemy compound and lay explosives around a building and watch it collapse.

IIRC, it was only possible to blow up some walls, not all.

Talorc

Liturgist
I dont recall ever running across a building wall that couldnt be exploded. For me, it was an essential tactic on the Alma Warehouse map. Nothing like making you own door ;-)

Im pretty sure the whole environment was pretty much destuctible, with a big enough "bang"? I remember one time in the late game I had a merc crouching behind one of the many rocks for cover on a mine assault. One of the enemies pulled out a LAW and BLEW UP the rock my merc was hiding behind. I was astounded when that happened! (And can still remember it many years later)

Greenskin13

Erudite
What's so donkey about Donkey Kong?

If I remember right, roofs didn't explode.... I do believe I saw some very strange floating sniper platforms....

operf1

Novice
Important update:
News about nondestructible walls caused strong negative feedback from fans, so developers have corrected themselves:
You cannot destroy whole walls or buildings, like Silent Storm, but you can, for example, make a hole in the wall and throw grenade through it, etc.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Where there's a whip, there's a way.

Mmmmm... well that's something, but SS still trumps it.

Still, I don't think this decision will cause me too much disinterest.

operf1

Novice
SS has very small locations and some weird things like duel between two snipers sitting on the opposite sides of one street. And fully destroyable environment is the reason for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom