Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Prelude of Darkness 1.3 patch

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Prelude to Darkness

<A href="http://www.zero-sum.com">Prelude to Darkness</a> has been updated to <A href="http://www.zero-sum.com/downloads.html">version 1.3</a>. Here's a list of the fixes:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>* Various range weapons and attack fixes
<br>
* Willpoints during rest interruption fixed
<br>
* Skill improvement and attribute improvements fixed
<br>
* Ammo and item equipping in script to enemies fixed
<br>
* Growth spell outside combat fixed
<br>
* Skill improvement rates adjusted
<br>
* Enemies approach-and-attack removed
<br>
* Fixes attempted for lockups involving save/load and options windows
<br>
* crashes and errors in help text fixed
<br>
* pickpocketting difficulty adjusted and reputation penalties fixed
<br>
* Error in Pylmi giving unlimitted skill points fixed
<br>
* Number of enemies and difficulties of enemies in early random encounters adjusted</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That was fast.
<br>

Chadeo

Liturgist
Due to Saint_Proverbius's recommendation in another thread I decided to give this game a try. I have some initial comments, which will contain some very minor spoilers about the opening of the game. Overall they are very positive, and while it crashed on me once, it was very playable, and of much higher quality than I expected.

------

So last night I set my trusty 56k (talk about a marketing win...56k my ass, try 26k or 30k if you are lucky) to downloading the 75 meg game.

I must admit that I was very skeptical. See for me, while graphics or sound are not the key to a game, they can also ruin a game for me. I was not sure what to expect from the game, the screen shots looked good, but you can never tell until you actually play the game. As long as they are of high quality though, no matter how old that quality is, I am happy. For example I still LOVE the look of the first x-com game and HATE the look of the x-com apocalypse high rez ugly pos. But I digress...

This morning before I left for work I was able to play for about 2 hours (with the 1.3 patch applied). I thought I would share some initial impressions.

First of all the opening "video/cut screen/thing" totally blew away my expectations. Sure it was nothing super fancy, but it had STYLE. It hooked me right into the game. I could not wait to help this guy out ("my normal agents are too well known, but then again we did not have a need for secrecy before" Sounds like a job for a hero!) I loved the use of the hand drawn stills to add to the flavor, and the sound effect of the writing was icing on the cake. Like I said, it hooked me, and I was almost ready to just stop and register the game right then and there.

Character creation was fun, and the fact that the help system was easily available was a big bonus. The help topics could have been a bit more verbose, but it was still more than enough for me to figure things out. I replaced all three of the characters with my own creations, though I have no idea if mine will be any better. It would have been nice to see the starting stats for the basic characters, but I could not figure out a way to look at them.

So with my fighter/goddess magic, thief/talker, and fire person mage guy, I was all set to go kick some rebellion butt.

I LOVED how the main guy (overlord? I forget his title) did a little custom dialog that depended on your best stats. It was a very cool touch, and the reasoning he gave about why each of the three's abilities would prove useful was almost exactly what I would have said. That was impressive.

Ok, so now I get to start playing the actual game. Again, the look and feel of the game totally blew away my expectations. The fact that this game was made by a small indy group is just unbelievable, and has set a very good target to judge others work by. The 3-d engine seemed to work just fine (other than the one crash, more on that below) and while the environment was not picture perfect, it also did not in any way take anything away from the game.

I found the compos/map combo to work very well once I figured it out (again the fact that the help system came up the first time I opened the map was perfect). I quickly found my way to the contact. Dialog was fine, though I did not notice any difference between any of my characters. The one with the 20 int had the same options as the 20 char, and the 11 int 11 char guy. I assume that not all dialog will be like that, but for now I have not noticed any large difference due to stats.

On the way to the hut I got into my first battle. My fighter got really beat up, probably because I hit him twice with my mage guy. It can be a bit difficult to click on the bad guy and pick your attack when you have him surrounded, but I can live with that to keep the interface uncluttered.

So then I was on to the hut. This is when the game crashed on me. I was playing around with the zoom/pan controls to try and see if I was missing anything in the hut when it just froze up on me. I had messed around with the 3-d controlls a lot when I first loaded the game, and it had not crashed on me, so this might be hard to reproduce. I restarted the game, and reloaded (which brings up the auto save feature..yet another great touch, and the fact that you can controll how often you save is very nice), and had no other crashes. However the music would no longer work. It sounded like it got stuck on the first part of the song, and just kept playing that part over and over. Very annoying, so I turned off the music. I assume I could have just restarted the game to fix it, but I did not want to bother. Again up untill this point the music had worked great, and was setting the mood very well.

So after the hut, I was a bit lost on what to do next. I went back into the town and talked with everyone I could find, and figured the quest out, but I just think that at the very beginning of the game there might need to be a bit more hand holding. Something like being taken back to town with the body, have the towns people all come out, act all shocked, mutter a bit about how do they know you did not do it, you respond with how you will find the killer...or whatever. It was not until I spoke with some key NPC's did I even find out that someone else knew about the death. It was a bit odd. Like I said though I figured it out, and perhaps there are more solutions so the hand holding I mentioned would only limit your options.

I got some experience so I could raise some of my skills. A few had already been raised through use, and I really like the system so far. I have a slight nit pick with the method for spending exp though. Do you really need to ask me if I want to spend my exp each and every time? Even just placing 6 or so exp got annoying due to this. Perhaps if you let me add points, and subtract points that I added until I closed the screen. Then you would not have to double check each of my additions, because if I messed up I could just undo it. Like I said, just a nit pick really.

That was all the time I had so far, but I am really looking forward to exploring it more. Tonight I am going to register and bug all my friends to go download it. Like I said, I was very skeptical about the quality before I tried it out, but zero-sum has exceeded all my expectations. As someone who would love to independently develop a game some day, it really opened my eyes to what is possible.

Even at this stage Prelude feels like it has more style to it than a bioware game, and even if it does not live up to the initial impressions I feel it is more than worth registering to support the continued development. I still can not believe that a small indy group did this.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chadeo said:
I LOVED how the main guy (overlord? I forget his title) did a little custom dialog that depended on your best stats. It was a very cool touch, and the reasoning he gave about why each of the three's abilities would prove useful was almost exactly what I would have said. That was impressive.

He's the Watcher.

I'll admit, that's what hooked me right there. The fact the Watcher knew what assets my party had in it. That means the dialogue scripting is capable of being dynamic based on the attributes and skills of the player characters. That's one thing I look for in a good CRPG.

Ok, so now I get to start playing the actual game. Again, the look and feel of the game totally blew away my expectations. The fact that this game was made by a small indy group is just unbelievable, and has set a very good target to judge others work by. The 3-d engine seemed to work just fine (other than the one crash, more on that below) and while the environment was not picture perfect, it also did not in any way take anything away from the game.

Frankly, I look to independent developers for the future of CRPGs. Commercial developers and publishers these days seem to churn out nothing more than combat fests. Even quests that really don't have to have combat have combat tossed in just for that hack and slash fun.

NWN was really, really bad about that. There's a quest where you have to prove yourself worthy to judge two people, so how do you prove yourself? Combat? Why? Hell if I know, it seemed pretty trite to me. You even have to fight your way to and from these people to interview them. Way to take a good idea and blow it with meaningless combat, BioWare.

That's why I really, really dig Prelude to Darkness. Most of the quests aren't combat fests, but some are just for good measure.

I found the compos/map combo to work very well once I figured it out (again the fact that the help system came up the first time I opened the map was perfect). I quickly found my way to the contact.

Yeah, whomever came up with that system did a damned fine job. I use it all the time.

Dialog was fine, though I did not notice any difference between any of my characters. The one with the 20 int had the same options as the 20 char, and the 11 int 11 char guy. I assume that not all dialog will be like that, but for now I have not noticed any large difference due to stats.

Some situations don't have a speech skill effect, that's true. CP does a good job of listenning to suggestions though.

On the way to the hut I got into my first battle. My fighter got really beat up, probably because I hit him twice with my mage guy. It can be a bit difficult to click on the bad guy and pick your attack when you have him surrounded, but I can live with that to keep the interface uncluttered.

My party is basically:

Farmer with Gift of Goddess skill
Merchant with Literacy and Lore
Guardian with Medical

Then I train them with random encounters by resting.

My Farmer uses a spear mostly because of it's speed and range, but also provides healing in combat.

My Merchant is the leader, and does all the talking and bartering.

My Guardian is my tank. He also provides good healing at the end of a combat round.

I don't thief around, at least not in this game. I don't deal in Flame magic because there were some bugs in that area in 1.0 that have been fixed. However, as you can read in the article about Flame magic on our site, it's a pretty good little area to know. :D

So after the hut, I was a bit lost on what to do next. I went back into the town and talked with everyone I could find, and figured the quest out, but I just think that at the very beginning of the game there might need to be a bit more hand holding.

I agree with this. There's a quest in Kellen involving a missing child that could use some hint dropping. I know the child is missing, but nothing beyond that. I talked to everyone in town, but no one knows anything about it or even talks about it. So, basically, I just didn't bother with this quest and moved on.

If there were a few things to hint at what made the child disappear, or where he might be, I would have tried it. However, I figured I'd save the world instead, and went to another town.

Something like being taken back to town with the body, have the towns people all come out, act all shocked, mutter a bit about how do they know you did not do it, you respond with how you will find the killer...or whatever. It was not until I spoke with some key NPC's did I even find out that someone else knew about the death. It was a bit odd. Like I said though I figured it out, and perhaps there are more solutions so the hand holding I mentioned would only limit your options.

I actually tripped over this quest. I had no idea the witness knew about it until I solved the quest dealing with that person in question.

I got some experience so I could raise some of my skills. A few had already been raised through use, and I really like the system so far. I have a slight nit pick with the method for spending exp though. Do you really need to ask me if I want to spend my exp each and every time? Even just placing 6 or so exp got annoying due to this. Perhaps if you let me add points, and subtract points that I added until I closed the screen.

I strongly agree here. This would be exceptionally nice rather than how it is now. It'd be much better to do the add/subtract thing and then have a requestor asking if it was okay to lock the changes in stone.

That was all the time I had so far, but I am really looking forward to exploring it more. Tonight I am going to register and bug all my friends to go download it.

Bug them all to visit our site, too. :D

Even at this stage Prelude feels like it has more style to it than a bioware game, and even if it does not live up to the initial impressions I feel it is more than worth registering to support the continued development. I still can not believe that a small indy group did this.

More style, and better designed to boot.

Rosh

Erudite
Agreed in full.

Especially with the following:

Saint said:
I don't thief around, at least not in this game.

No, you just suck at thieving. Remember how bad you are at Decker, because you go in fighting everything? :lol:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
Something like being taken back to town with the body, have the towns people all come out, act all shocked, mutter a bit about how do they know you did not do it, you respond with how you will find the killer...or whatever. It was not until I spoke with some key NPC's did I even find out that someone else knew about the death. It was a bit odd. Like I said though I figured it out, and perhaps there are more solutions so the hand holding I mentioned would only limit your options.

I actually tripped over this quest. I had no idea the witness knew about it until I solved the quest dealing with that person in question.

Theres a clue about the witness outside the hut, and if you have a member skilled in Nature theres a chance he'll discover a big clue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom