Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More NWN2 and BG3 rumors

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
During <a href=http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f196998b01e1b5bdb93d59645c029156&threadid=363946>Grok's Weekly Hype Show</a>, <a href=http://us.atari.com>Atari</a>'s new PR program, Grok mentioned casually that <b>NWN2</b> and <b>Baldur's Gate 3</b> are "on the horizon".

<blockquote>All crap...? You either need to expand your sample size or refine your expectations. Here are some fantastic recent Atari titles:

Godzilla: DAMM, APEX, Battle Engine Aquila, DBZ, D&D Heroes, Civ 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon,
NWN, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Championship

Huge titles on the horizon:

RCT3, <b>NWN2, BG3</b>, Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone, Driver 3

And, several others.
No April Fool's Joke.

We've got dozens of titles in all stages of development. We're currently talking with several top developers about <b>creating the next generation of our strongest D&D RPGs.</b> This really shouldn't be a surprise...lots of RPG goodness in the future from Atari.
Atari is the sole licensor of all D&D interactive properties. We could bring back Gold Box games if we were so inclined...and maybe we are...

Man, I loved those adventures.

My purpose here is simply to make sure you all understand that we're well aware of the importance and popularity of the franchise (meaning D&D ) to most of you. We've got some fantastic titles in our catalog and we are absolutely planning to do something with them.

The whos, whats, wheres and hows...well, that's what we'll be saving for a full-fledged announcement. </blockquote>Discuss!

Thanks, <b>Seven9</b>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Bout time this was posted here. I won't comment as anyone who clicks that link or search the BIS, BIO, and Obsidian baords have seen my opinion on this.

I am dissapointed in RPGCodex. They moved slowly this time. :D

Voss

Erudite
Is FR: Demon Stone that crappy looking console that uses the engine from the LOTR games with writing by Bob 'Mr Angsty Violence' Salvatore?
Or is this something else?

On the horizon? As in something way off in the distance that they'll be getting to eventually? Or something you spot out of the corner of your eye from a long way away and then move on?

And does he realize that creating the 'next generation of the strongest' is something of an oxymoron? And how many things actually count as Atari D&D RPGs? Anything beyond NWN and TOEE? And even then, their involvement has more been a pain in the ass than anything else...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
NWN2: Better roleplaying! Now you must search five artifacts! More advanced gameplay! Fully control up to 2 people in combat!

BG3: Better roleplaying! Charisma checks used every hour for romances!

No.

This has to be a joke.

If it isn't...

... whoa.

Voss

Erudite
Well, just think... if it is true, imagine the possibilities.

So much for people here to over-react to.

:lol:

Oh, and Vol: I agree with Gromnir over in that other thread- this is a weird ass way for these games to be announced. If BG3 doesn't materialize, Grok the Web Monkey is going to find his head on a stake outside the corporate offices (or at least lose his job)

taks

Liturgist
well, grommy may be missing a valid point here... if this really IS the truth coming from grok (his latest post was today, not april 1), then atari has succeeded in pre-announcement hype that only rumor can generate. this stuff is posted everywhere. everybody is talking about it. you'll see it on the IGN boards soon. ve3d and avault will post the rumors... maybe this was just a tactic.

mark

Seven

Erudite
Atari is the sole licensor of all D&D interactive properties. We could bring back Gold Box games if we were so inclined...and maybe we are...

Man, I loved those adventures.

My purpose here is simply to make sure you all understand that we're well aware of the importance and popularity of the franchise (meaning D&D ) to most of you. We've got some fantastic titles in our catalog and we are absolutely planning to do something with them.

The whos, whats, wheres and hows...well, that's what we'll be saving for a full-fledged announcement.

Grok

Is he trying to say that Atari can publish BG3 without the permission of Iply?

Seven

Erudite
I think if that happened Caen would be bragging about developing and selling new and meaningful licenses or some such nonsense. Perhaps Atari's stance is that given that they hold the DnD licnse that means that they can make anything under that umbrella even a game called BG3.

EDIT: what's the deal with Hasbro are they purposely trying to sabotage the competition?

magerette

Novice
I think this is a totally serious announcement..and a hellacious marketing ploy, of course--this is like advertising on the forums..which means worldwide... free.

my major fear is that behind the gloss of "RPG goodness" we are doomed to see incarnations of classic PC dnd in XBox format from now on...

Crappywarrior

Novice
It certainly seems like a good way to drum up the internet rumors. I don't know when or if it's been done before like this, but they may very well be setting a precendent. I do agree with Seven though, if they had acquired the BG license there should have been some kind of announcement. And they sure as shit can't just make a BG game because they feel it's under the "DnD umbrella"

So either it's full of shit, Atari stipulated in the contract with IP that only they were allowed to announce the deal, or they're just making a dumb assumption and IP will be calling up their lawyers if/when Baldur's Gate 3 is officially anounced. Or hell, maybe they'll call it Buldar's Gate 3 :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I know one announcement that would make me happy:
"Troika Games is set to develop latest edition to Baldur's Gate Franchise"

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:

That'd make me happy. I could care less about new BG games, but it'd be fun seeing the nay-sayers squirm around in their own personal armagedon.

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:

Why would that make you happy? It wouldn't be TB, plus Troika isn't exactly renowned for their stellar games right now. I just hope that Bloodlines is a smash hit that's also critically acclaimed, at least then they can salvage some of their reputation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
To do that they'd have to shelf Bloodlines and actually make a good game. Maybe their sci fi one they hinted at well bring them back to the 'glory days' of Arcanum.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I think Troika shouldn't try to ressurect a dead series and put out another D&D title. I think Troika should make Bloodlines to get themselves some recognition (hopefully). I do not think Troika should get the wrong idea from Bloodline's potential success and develop more similar titles. I think Troika should make a turn based RPG in their own setting, just like they did with Arcanum.

Seven

Erudite
I don't see TB as synonomous with good RPG, so I don't care whether they do TB or RT. All I want is a good game.

Voss

Erudite
Seven9 said:
I think if that happened Caen would be bragging about developing and selling new and meaningful licenses or some such nonsense. Perhaps Atari's stance is that given that they hold the DnD licnse that means that they can make anything under that umbrella even a game called BG3.

EDIT: what's the deal with Hasbro are they purposely trying to sabotage the competition?

That could very well be Atari's stance. And how is/has that lawsuit gone with Iplay and Atari?

What are you referring to with Hasbro? What competition are they sabotaging?

Seven

Erudite
Voss said:
Seven9 said:

That could very well be Atari's stance. And how is/has that lawsuit gone with Iplay and Atari?

What are you referring to with Hasbro? What competition are they sabotaging?

What I mean is they appear to be trying to sabotage publishers vis the DnD license and thier bullshit censorship.

The Pope

Novice
Exitium said:
That announcement would make me very unhappy. :shock:

AdrianWerner

Novice
Well...this rumor makes a lot os sense. We know that ATARI will annouce two PC RPGs in may(one early may, other one at E3). NWN2..well.... there were rumors about it lately, but Bioware denied them....but it could be made by other company. ANd BG3...IPLY got the rights to it..but I doubt they would finish it, so it`s likely they they have either sold it back to ATARI or Atari will give IPLY part of profits from BG3

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Seven9 said:
I don't see TB as synonomous with good RPG, so I don't care whether they do TB or RT. All I want is a good game.
Neither do I, and yet I would inifinitely prefer a turn based system to a Diablo clickfest or a passive mess like BG with added crap of the personal initiative rounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom