Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot drools all over KOTOR

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have posted their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/review.html>review</a> of <a href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare</a>'s Star Wars RPG, <a href=http://lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/>Knights of the Old Republic</a>. They're very fond of it (naturally) and KOTOR scores <b>8.8 out of 10</b>, losing some marks for technicals issues and bugs.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><u>Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights</u>, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome. Most importantly, Knights is very different from your average RPG in that you'll always be an active participant in the storyline, rather than a passive observer. You don't just read, watch, and listen to a lot of text, cutscenes, and dialogue; instead, your character is constantly invited and required to make difficult decisions, and that's ultimately the most entertaining, impressive, and rewarding aspect of the game. The interface has been completely overhauled for the PC release of the game, and it works exceptionally well by taking full advantage of the familiar mouse-and-keyboard controls you're used to from other games. Additionally, it gives you easy access to all your options, as well as your inventory, map, and quest log, at all times.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Don't you just love it when PROFESHUNAL reviewers have no idea what they're talking about? Oh, LucasArts, couldn't you just go back to making games with SCUMM? You know, the ones that didn't suck?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'd lower gameplay, sound, and tilt. I'd raise graphics and value. If there was a bug rating; I'd give it extremely lowly marks even though I've only been victim to two fo them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Remember when we were telling you that your computer sucks when you were complaining about ToEE, Volourn?

That said, anyone that makes the statement that KotOR is in any way turn based is not qualified to review a CRPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL Yeha. Yet, it runs all other games including NWN, MW, et al. (when I was also playing it); but not KOTOR or TOEE very well. Not to mention, I actually bought my own computer which is heads above the old one that I was using.

KOTOR is not turn based. Just like the other BIo games; it's pause n play. I use pause at end of round, and it basically works like tb, imo. Of cours,e the crappy way of moving in combat hurts it though.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Canadian developer BioWare is well known for producing high quality role-playing games

Bla bla bla :lol:

Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome

He obviously doesn't know the difference between TB and RT (oh dear...), and proves it not only by claiming NWN's system to be TB, but also by attaching gameplay aspects totally irrelevant to whether the game is RT or TB. Divine Divinity (God that's a redundant name) had a perfectly working RT system that did not rely on your reflexes at all, while PoR2 (I spit on that name) had timed turns in it's TB combat in multiplayer and in single player if the player(s) want to.

Most importantly, Knights is very different from your average RPG in that you'll always be an active participant in the storyline, rather than a passive observer. You don't just read, watch, and listen to a lot of text, cutscenes, and dialogue; instead, your character is constantly invited and required to make difficult decisions, and that's ultimately the most entertaining, impressive, and rewarding aspect of the game...*snip*... Indeed, you'll probably often be tempted to see what happens if you pick the evil dialogue options rather than the good ones, if only because most RPGs simply don't let you make these types of decisions.

You mean other Bioware games, yes?? :lol:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
Divine Divinity (God that's a redundant name) had a perfectly working RT system that did not rely on your reflexes at all, while PoR2 (I spit on that name) had timed turns in it's TB combat in multiplayer and in single player if the player(s) want to.

Divine Divinity was a decent game to a point. I hear they are making a sequel. As far as PoR2 goes..... heh. I bought that game and gave it away on the same day. I played through the first area for all of maybe two hours and quickly realized I had wasted my money. Talk about hype. That game was definitely overhyped. Needless to say, I gave it to a friend. I think he played it all of two hours as well and now it sits on his shelf collecting dust. Yeah... real great game there, guys. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The game's greatest accomplishment is its focused-yet-open-ended plot progression, which gives you the freedom to play as either a morally good or evil character--or shades in between.
The unprofessionalism of gaming media is killing me. First, they don't know shit about games which is evident from many quotes below. Second, they like to call every feature, no matter how old and standard it is, revolutionary, innovative, and greatest accomplishment. Who hires these morons? If they want to hype the game, can they please do it intelligently?

Those who've played BioWare's computer RPGs--either the Baldur's Gate series or last year's Neverwinter Nights--will recognize the influence of these games on Knights of the Old Republic
Unfortunately we do

Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome
What the fuck does that mean?

Most importantly, Knights is very different from your average RPG in that you'll always be an active participant in the storyline, rather than a passive observer. You don't just read, watch, and listen to a lot of text, cutscenes, and dialogue; instead, your character is constantly invited and required to make difficult decisions, and that's ultimately the most entertaining, impressive, and rewarding aspect of the game
I wonder what RPGs this guy played before? Quake? I mean you obviously play a role of that marine so it's gotta be an rpg :roll:

Actually, the PC version of the game adds a good amount of new content that wasn't in the original Xbox release, and it mostly comes in the form of some powerful new items.
Wow, new content = more loot. How very RPGish.

It may seem strange, but Knights of the Old Republic actually uses a slightly simplified version of 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules for both combat and character generation
No it doesn't. You said yourself that KOTOR is influenced by BG and NWN, so it's gotta be simplified and it's gotta be DnD.

You can sometimes hack into certain computer systems, but this is all done in text and isn't very interesting
Yep, text is boring, we want more minigames :roll:

It's also an interesting aspect of gameplay when you consider that a big part of the theme is how Jedi constantly run the risk of falling to the dark side. Indeed, you'll probably often be tempted to see what happens if you pick the evil dialogue options rather than the good ones, if only because most RPGs simply don't let you make these types of decisions
I'm strongly considering to send the moron an email pointing to a number of games that he obviosuly missed while playing Bio games. I'm still on the first planet, but so far Dark vs Light = Good vs Evil so I don't see any risk of falling or corruption or anything like that. You are either an ass or a blood-thirsty bastard or you are goody-goody and that's pretty much it.

Edit: For those who have "apartments slowdown", one of the solutions is to disable the sound from the start up menu and enable it back once you are out "in the open"

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was filling out registration for a game recently (I dont get enough junk mail :P) and the little section that asked why I decided to buy the game had a box labeled Advertisment/Review....

At least they're honest about paying for them I guess :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Neither BG, nor NWN is simplifed. Only a fool will think that. And, anyone who wines abou there being ":too much loot" has their blinders on, or they are playing a dark side as a light sider I have exactly 500 credits to my name, and I have bought zero weapons, and arnour upgrades since leaving the first planet. Or, maybe they spend too much tpe with the racing and/or pazzak. As for light vs. dark; that's true; however there ae different grades. You don't have to be all bubbly goody two shoes; or striaght up manicial evil. It's not an either/or attitude; nor aee you stuck being a mercenary type to be considered 'neutral". However, too much text? HA! can never be too much text except in some cases with PST when it goes oveboard.

And, VD, it seems you dislike the game. Perhaps, you should stop being a sucker and stop buying them. I told ya that it had a lot of BIO staples; but did you read that/?Nooooooooo....

Vault Dweller

Developer
I did read your comments, Volourn. As for the game, I don't dislike it, but I'm not sure I like it although I just left Taris so it's too early to tell. And stop saying that people are stupid for buying Bio games, I don't mind the offense (after all it's the Codex :lol: ) but it's logically incorrect. Suffice to say, I don't regard Bio's games as rpgs, but BG games were good adventure games, etc. I believe my point is clear.

Ok, back to Kotor, like I said I don't dislike it although some of the things that I saw on the first planet were questionable: talk to Garth thing, dark vs light, conversation loop, extreme linearity, and boring combat ( sure, it's fun to watch the moves for the first 15 min, and choose a few moves available, but...). The characters are ... typical for Bio: paranoid guy with his stupid story, bitchy Jedi princess, etc.

Anyway, I will of course post my impressions when I finish the game, but so far things have improved a little bit. Fighting with a lightsaber is not as stupid as fighting with a sword, fighting the dark jedi was done better, at least I didn't have to kill innocent people or extort money to gain DS points. The "pick your class" thingy was ridiculous though, the answers I gave them that secured me Jedi Guardian position were "kill, kill, kill" I guess all that experience with Revan and Malak taught them nothing :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, it was lame how one becomes a Guardian Jedi. i thought all Jedis were connected to the force; not homicidal maniacs like the test made Guardians sound like. It was like you were being tasted on being a barbarian; not a jedi. :lol: I'm glad I was a Sentinel.

Hey, the paranoid guy is funny. I think SP summed him on pretty well in another post. Bastila's "bitchiness" is explianed a little later. Some funny encounters, imo, come of it as well. Yeah, all the npcs if cut to the bare bone could be labeled as stereotypes; but they feel much deeper than most games' npcs.

I agree, the combat is much more fun with being a jedi since the force powers give you more options then power/crit/grenade/normal attack you get at start.

Heck, I'm playinga Light side guy, and I even made an oopsy to gain a darkside. Some game developers can't take a joke, I guess. :lol:

I hate the movies. Why? Because, I'm so worried that when a cur scene, or load screen comes up the game will crash. Grr..

Hey, don't worry, next BIO game that comes out which you will buy I'll call ya dumb again. :lol: :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
It was like you were being tasted on being a barbarian; not a jedi.
Right on. There is a locked door... Me smash! Ok, ok, you are in a combat with...me smash!!! Hmm, I see a patern here (No shit! :lol: ) Last question....me smash!!!! You didn't even hear what it is. Smash, smash, smash!!!!! Ok, you're a Jedi now, stay away from the Dark side, you psychotic raging maniac :)

Yeah, all the npcs if cut to the bare bone could be labeled as stereotypes; but they feel much deeper than most games' npcs.
I didn't say stereotypes, I said typical for Bio, i.e. NPCs with over the top emotional issues :)

Hey, don't worry, next BIO game that comes out which you will buy I'll call ya dumb again. :lol: :wink:
Whatever makes you happy :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL I think when BIO was making the Jedi test; they were splitt the answers into philosolphiscal (consular), bringers of justice (sentinels), and meleers (guardians). I think they need to hold back on the Guardian questions to make it fit into the Jedi code.

Ahh.. Over emotional makes for some chuckles at the least.

Always. :wink:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
In the Xbox version, the questions asked were just a guideline to show you what class would fit with the answers you gave. After that he would ask what class you wanted to be and you chose. Did they change this in the PC version? :?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hmm.. I remember seeing him ask which one you'd prefer; but he lets you decided? Damn. That sucks. You should be 'forced" to take the Jedi Class the questions led you to be... Hmmm.. BOO BIO YOU SUCK !!!!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes, you can choose your own class after the answers. I think so. I wanted to be a guardian, but I gave all the "smash, kill, destroy" answers to show my arrogance and tendency to violence and score some dark points and was surprised when they say "Yep, you are a guardian now". Oh well...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So, basically, the questionairre for fun. There I was, being all careful to answer the questions so I can be a Sentinel. LOL DAMN YOU BIOWEENIES!!!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
So, Bioware went from having all answers lead to the same dialogue, to answers leading to things completely different to what they were supposed to?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
So, Bioware went from having all answers lead to the same dialogue, to answers leading to things completely different to what they were supposed to?

No, KotOR does the bit about the character's choices of dialogue leading to one response all through KotOR, many times. It's pretty annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom