Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lionheart: Quotes of the day

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Chris Parker said:
The SPECIAL system is an extremely flexible and dynamic rules system. So rather than develop a new system from scratch, we opted to use a system that had worked, and worked well, in a number of games for us. Since we understood how everything worked, adjusting it to work in real-time and with magic wasn't that much of a leap.
Chris Parker said:
Each of these companion characters is controlled by their own AI, but you can give them some instructions during the course of play.
Chris Parker said:
So there are literally thousands of different items
Chris Parker said:
I would estimate the gameplay time to be somewhere in the 40-60 hour range for an average player who does a fair number of sidequests
Chris Parker said:
I think that Lionheart is going to feature the same aspects that have made other Black Isle role-playing games great.
Ion Hardie said:
The system is also very open-ended, allowing for almost infinite expandability. And now that we've added real time combat and magic, we think the system is even better than before!
Ion Hardie said:
Some of the neat advantages, for me, revolve around melee combat, which under a real-time basis, really helps to draw the player into the world and make it feel more like a fight for your life. I personally like the real time feel quite a bit.
Feargus Urguhart said:
I think they will be surprised with how the action aspects of the game and how the RPG system used in Fallout works well in the game. I really feel that fans of our previous games will be surprised to find that they enjoy Lionheart just as much even though it is faster paced.
http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=36
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=12135
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=7481

Voss

Erudite
Chris Parker said:
Each of these companion characters is controlled by their own AI, but you can give them some instructions during the course of play.

Hah!

Chris Parker said:
So there are literally thousands of different items

Even if you consider a ring of protection that gives +3 to AC different from a ring of protection that gives +4 to AC (and otherwise has the same graphic, text, etc), I don't think this is true.

Chris Parker said:
I would estimate the gameplay time to be somewhere in the 40-60 hour range for an average player who does a fair number of sidequests

:shock:

Chris Parker said:
I think that Lionheart is going to feature the same aspects that have made other Black Isle role-playing games great.

Combat, combat, combat? I'll admit that is the same aspect as IWD2. As is killing hundreds of monsters on the straight line march to the end of game. Hmm. One city. initial side quests. a small town later that gets attacked ... goblins and snake-people....
randomly generately blah loot... uncertain motivations...
Great Galloping Ghosts of Gygax! Its the same game!

Ion Hardie said:
The system is also very open-ended, allowing for almost infinite expandability. And now that we've added real time combat and magic, we think the system is even better than before!

Too bad no one took advantage of the almost infinite expandability

Ion Hardie said:
Some of the neat advantages, for me, revolve around melee combat, which under a real-time basis, really helps to draw the player into the world and make it feel more like a fight for your life. I personally like the real time feel quite a bit.

drawn into combat... but sadly away from the world.

Feargus Urguhart said:
I think they will be surprised with how the action aspects of the game and how the RPG system used in Fallout works well in the game. I really feel that fans of our previous games will be surprised to find that they enjoy Lionheart just as much even though it is faster paced.

Yes, people will be very surprised if they enjoy this game.

Lovely quotes.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chris Parker said:
The SPECIAL system is an extremely flexible and dynamic rules system. So rather than develop a new system from scratch, we opted to use a system that had worked, and worked well, in a number of games for us. Since we understood how everything worked, adjusting it to work in real-time and with magic wasn't that much of a leap.

Isn't this guy currently working for Feargus' new company?

If they understood how everything in SPECIAL works, then why the bloody hell did they have three types of physical damage when you could tweak the damage mods and damage resistances of the items for physical damage like Fallout's ammo did so they could mimmick hollow point, normal, and armor piercing rounds? I still want to know why they fucked that one up.

Chris Parker said:

Whoops, side quests not implimented. Sorry! Here, have some dungeons.

Chris Parker said:

Load screen, minimap, and goblins are just three examples of these features!

Ion Hardie said:

I remember smacking this boy around with this statement on the news here at RPG Codex.

Ion Hardie said:

Now you know why Reflexive has never made a good game.

Feargus Urguhart said:

I wonder if this is one of the quotes Vivendi/Interplay PR guys came up with and slapped Feargus' name on. Then again, Feargus actually was the one that called IWD2 a SLAM DUNK.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fuck Feargus, he is an asshole. I got no sympathy for him on this one. He deserves all he gets. Also, if they lied about this, what makes you think they're actually producing FO3 the way it should be done? BIS are nothing more than puppets for the french Im afraid, and we cant have that now can we? All im saying is that Im not gonna be to eager and rush the store when I hear FO3 hit the stands

Psilon

Erudite
I find it rather amusing that your current rank is "Literate." Feargus has made some rather bad decisions, but I doubt Interplay's current mess is entirely his fault.

Killzig, I agree. We'll never stop referring to those types of titles as "slam dunks." Feargus should be proud, though, for entering a new term into our lexicon. Much like "continuous turn based."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Killzig said:
Man, feargus will never hear the end of that one.

That's because it's more general than TORN is what Fallout fans have been waiting for since Fallout 2, and you can use it in just about anything Feargus does. :D

Seven

Erudite
How about the one where he talks about using a bigger turbo plasma rifle, and Tim Cain paraphrases him?

I couldn't help but notice that you have a broken lionheart link in your sig, starting to rethink that?

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
How about the one where he talks about using a bigger turbo plasma rifle, and Tim Cain paraphrases him? :)

I believe Feargus said something about real time, 3D graphics and cool minigun affects relating to what he'd like to see in FO3. :twisted: TC said he's like to explore the ethics of such a world. :P

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That was taken from a signature I had on the BIS forums. I quoted Feargus about the kewl minigun partikul effex followed by Tim Cain's quote about ethics. They weren't related at all, but I had them both in my sig to illustrate a difference between the two guys.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

Saint_Proverbius said:
Actually, I changed it after MCA asked me to change it. So, it was about two weeks or so before the interview.

Yet many others used the same quotes in their sigs, afterwards.

triCritical

Erudite
I am quoting Feargus' quote from this thread over there right now. With any luck Obsidian will open a message board and I will post over there with his great quotes. I doubt, Feargus' bitch... err MCA will tell me to take them down. After all the will be too busy making Bioware's latest crappy ph4t l00t foozle laden action romp.

Seven

Erudite
I understand MCA leaving BIS, but I don't understand him going over to Obsidian to make expansions/rehashed games for BIO?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom