Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News How about some more Fallout 3 insanity?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

You may recall when <b>Game Informer</b> <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200706/N07.0608.1040.10718.htm>asked its readership to send in questions</a> for <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/>Bethesda</a> concerning <a href=http://fallout.bethsoft.com/>Fallout 3</a>. Well, <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=403207&sid=2e3af5fac35d282132b9f00267c73a41#403207>according to NMA</a> the time is now, the answers are in, and it's a glorious new age:<blockquote>Q: Is this another Oblivion but with a Fallout theme?
<br>
<br>
A: In short: no. Sure, Fallout 3 plays primarily from a first-person perspective like Oblivion, and <b>conversations with NPCs use a similar style of dialogue tree</b>, but combat, questing, character creation and most importantly the tone and style of the gameplay shares more in common with Fallout 1 and 2 than Oblivion.</blockquote> That's a similar style of dialogue tree as in Oblivion, folks.<blockquote>How’s the V.A.T.S. combat system work again?
<br>
<br>
A: I talk about this a good bit in the July magazine article, but to be clear, Fallout 3 plays in both real time and a paused tactical combat mode. <b>It’s not really turn based, however.</b> Instead, you can pause the real-time action in order to make aimed ranged or melee attacks on your opponents, smashing their legs to slow them down, or perhaps shooting an arm to hurt their weapon aim. Like in the original Fallout games, doing these aimed shots take action points, but since there are no turns, those AP recharge over time after unpausing the game. You can shoot in real time, but that will then slow your recharge rate. <b>In practice, this means players have the option to play the game very much like an RPG, but with a good bit more action than traditional RPGs.</b></blockquote>What was the last RPG you played where you could circle-strafe an enemy until you recharged a meter <i>supah powah!</i>-like to attack it?
<br>
<br>
Here's a priceless quote:<blockquote>If you are a fan who is adamantly against some significant changes to the way gameplay occurs in the Fallout series, I’m going to tell you right now and save you the disappointment: I don’t think you’ll like Fallout 3. However, if you’re a fan of the Fallout universe, of the unique look of the world, of the moral ambiguity, of the dark and often violent humor, and the invigorating branching story paths, then everything about what I’ve seen of Fallout 3 should please you.</blockquote>Does. Not. Compute. It's like saying, "if you care about the gameplay and the concept of continuity in a sequel, you're not a Fallout fan - if you are only interested in a handful of stylistic elements and themes that may not even be exclusive to Fallout, then you're a real fan and we've got just the thing for you".
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Once again, more evidence of Oblivion with gunz.

Bethesda is once again discarding one fanbase in order to gain another.

Amasius

Augur
A similar style of dialogue tree as in Oblivion? Yeah - after the apocalypse dialogue trees have even less ramifications than the dead trees in the wastelands.

So in "dialogues" you can click:

- Linear quest X
- Rumors
- Boring local gossip

Awesome!

Mr Happy

Scholar
This does not bode well for all thosechoices/consequences/gameworld effects/multiple paths they promised. Honesty, right now they just appear unable to pull thoe sorts of things off to a satisfying degree.

IN OTHER NEWS

todd howard from da summary of some video or another said:
Videogames 10 years ago and videogames today are different canvases that we paint on.

While I (at least partially) agree, I am curious to hear his reasons for believing so. I mean, its not like rpgs have made that much advancement.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mr Happy said:
While I (at least partially) agree, I am curious to hear his reasons for believing so. I mean, its not like rpgs have made that much advancement.

The video interview will be available in a month. Unlimited rotates through.

Zomg

Arbiter
Man now I know what Todd Howard's voice sounds like that sucks.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bradylama said:
I know this sounds weird, but I think Todd Howard might have Asperger's.

While I doubt it, that would actually make a lot of sense.

flushfire

Augur
let's see...
Oblivion's...
combat: has stamina meter that recharges in time, you can attack even when its depleted but damage is reduced.
dialogue trees: click a response to continue dialogue
questing: 99% linear
perspective: 1st and 3rd person
gameplay: fps with stats

from what ive read so far FO3's...
combat: has ap that recharges in time, you can attack even when its depleted but certain attacks can't be used.
dialogue trees: like oblivion, and since dialogue trees are directly tied to quests...
questing: more likely like oblivion too.
perspective: same with oblivion
gameplay: since perspective and real-time combat are also directly tied to gameplay and since everything else above is also like oblivion, FO3's gameplay shares more in common with oblivion.

Everything in FO3 shares more in common with oblivion.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Q: So basically Fallout 3 is like Hellgate: London but with Mutants instead of Demons in the Metros of a destroyed city ?

A: Yes. But its true to Fallout "shows pipboy thumbs up"

Globbi

Augur
Q: So basically Fallout 3 is like Hellgate: London but with Mutants instead of Demons in the Metros of a destroyed city ?
A: Yes. But its true to Fallout "shows pipboy thumbs up"
So they finally agreed it's not going to be of RPG genre?
EDIt:nevermind, i though this question was a real one.
The whole Q&A is posted on gamespot

aboyd

Liturgist
If you are a fan who is adamantly against some significant changes to the way gameplay occurs in the Fallout series, I’m going to tell you right now and save you the disappointment: I don’t think you’ll like Fallout 3.
Wow, I think that's great honesty. He's said "we're screwing with it, if you object, go elsewhere." OK. So they have at least made the decision to lose some potential customers. They're not trying to be all things to all people, nor use marketing-speak to befuddle the customer.

A company that admits, "we dumbed it down for our kiddies, sowwy grownups" is a company that at least isn't stealing my money. I know now to spend elsewhere, and write off F3 as hopeless. Thanks Bethesda!

franc kaos

Liturgist
flushfire said:
let's see...
dialogue trees: like oblivion, and since dialogue trees are directly tied to quests...
questing: more likely like oblivion too.

Everything in FO3 shares more in common with oblivion.

I actually played with the CS in Oblivion and it's pretty easy to create branching dialogue and choices in quests, they just couldn't be bothered much.

Also, in vid1, the word he was looking for is 'visceral', see what not reading does to you Tod? He might have played geek chess in school but the rambling incoherent sentence structure in those video's doesn't bode well for deep game design...

When you blow his arm off... <pause>, or tell him you've saved his wife (life?).
Dear sweet jesus!

Actually, with all the bitching on the codex, from what I've heard and understood about Fallout3, it's gonna be Oblivion with guns (was that ever in doubt), but it's gonna be a hundred times deeper - not that I'm gonna buy, but I will try it out (they still owe me for Oblivion (Asda (UK counterpart of Walmart) wouldn't take it back).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So If all you want from a Fallout game is to see a perk graphic of vaultboy picking up whores, you're gonna love Fallout 3. If you actually played and liked Fallout, you aren't gonna like Fallout 3

Micmu

Magister
A major departure from the widely despised Brotherhood of Steel, eh? :lol:

Oblivoid "dialogue". What a piece of shit.

Micmu

Magister
How are "fans" accepting the escalating assrape?

"Sounds awesome" or "SPECULATION!11 We have to buy and see" ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom