Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character creation

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Since AoD's char system in many aspects similar to Fallout's I suppose character creation process will be almost identical.
Are you going to give player some explanations on game mechanics like it was in Fallout: "Small Guns - Base 5% + (4 x AG)"? This information made character creation much easier.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sure. Here is how it works.

Starting skill values:

Dagger = Dex * 4
Sword = Str * 2 + Dex * 2
Axe = Str * 3 + Dex
Hammer = Str * 4
Persuasion = Int + Cha *3
Etiquette = Cha * 4
Streetwise = Per * 2 + Int * 2
Lore = Int * 4

So, for a character with stats Str 10, Dex 8, Con 7, Per 6, Int 5, Cha 4, the above values are:
32, 36, 38, 40 ... 17, 16, 22, 20

While a character with Str 5, Dex 8, Con 5, Per 6, Int 7, Cha 9, the skill values are:
32, 26, 23, 20 ... 34, 36, 26, 28

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Will there be any other ways to increase skills except direct point allocation and trait gaining like taking perks Fallout-style or reading manuscripts?

Gosling

Liturgist
Probably a wrong thread to ask this, but:

Persuasion = Int + Cha *3
Etiquette = Cha * 4
Streetwise = Per * 2 + Int * 2
Lore = Int * 4

What I couldn't help but notice in all recent Bioware games is that when it comes to problem solutions through dialogue they usually give you a choice for using all persuasion skills at once - so you just have to chose your best developped dialogue-skill from a list of replies each time. Now, unless each skill-related reply leads to a completely unique dialogue branch and generates a different outcome for each option (which in Bio games it doesn't) or different characters can be "immune" to different dialogue-skills (like a war-hardened veteran can be immune to intimidation), it makes investing points into more than one dialogue skill completely redundant, which is silly.

How does AoD handle this? Will different dialogues always require a different speech-skill to open hidden threads. Or will they offer a selection of speech-skill replies for you to chosse from? I've seen some dialogue screenshots from the game, but would like to know more about this concept in AoD in general, as I usually prefer to play diplomatic charachters.

Also, will there be dialogue options dependant on non-dialogue-related skills or stats?

For example iirc in NWN:SoU you could save a baby from goblins through dialogue by intimidation, persuasion OR just snatch it away from their hands (in dialogue mode) if your DEX was high enough and then fight them afterwords without risking the baby's life. (Or the vault-admission test in FO2 for instance)

Sorry if this issue has been addressed before, couldn't find it anywhere.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
It would make sense, if Persuasion was the ONLY dialogue skill. Etiquette and Streetwise should measure your ability in winning trust of certain NPCs, not in bullshitting their brains. Example: if your Streetwise skill is not high enough, "Pike off!" will be everything you can get from the local Thieves Guild leader.

Gosling

Liturgist
Lestat said:
It would make sense, if Persuasion was the ONLY dialogue skill. Etiquette and Streetwise should measure your ability in winning trust of certain NPCs, not in bullshitting their brains. Example: if your Streetwise skill is not high enough, "Pike off!" will be everything you can get from the local Thieves Guild leader.
Yeah, I can see the difference between Streetwise and Etiquette and the options they provide beyond persuasiveness in dialogue. But i think they can actually enrich dialogue options too:
A high-society matron unwilling to see reason in your "persuasion" proposal (though "persuaion" can really be an all-encompassing word), might be influenced by corteous manners, and grossly offended if you try your steetwise skills on her.
Or speaking about other applications: thief-guild members might speak in jargon that you simply wouldn't understand if your streetwise skills suck which could result in missing out on some important quest-related information. (Should you have high steetwise skills - you'd get the same dialogue text in jargon but with a normal translation given to the player below. Though it almost sounds like metagaming, I wouldreally like to see this feature implemented in some game)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kingston said:
Will you be including selectable backgrounds with certain advantages and disadvantages a la Arcanum?
The only backgrounds we have are professions (NOT classes!):
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/characters.htm

So, a thief would start a small bonus to sneak, steal, disarm traps, lockpick, streetwise; a reputation bonus with the Thieves Guild and a certain Noble House that uses the guild as a spy network, and reputation penalties with the Guards and the Merchants.

And so on.

Ander Vinz said:
Will there be any other ways to increase skills except direct point allocation and trait gaining like taking perks Fallout-style or reading manuscripts?
No.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, so I'll answer the other questions later.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What can you define in the character creation? Name, profession and stats? The starting number for all stats is 4 and you can add 16 points, right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Gosling said:
Now, unless each skill-related reply leads to a completely unique dialogue branch and generates a different outcome for each option...
Each skill-based dialogue option leads to a unique dialogue branch/response.

How does AoD handle this? Will different dialogues always require a different speech-skill to open hidden threads.
Yes.

Also, will there be dialogue options dependant on non-dialogue-related skills or stats?
Yes. Some examples (I removed all the other options for clarity):

- Are you a craftsman, my friend?
- Yes
- I'm honored by your presence then. Perhaps you can help me. I found a rare piece of ore here, can you tell me what it is?
- [crafting] I'm not really sure.
- It's iron, my friend. You know, that ore you were so interested in buying... *A dagger appears out of nowhere* I find it odd that as soon as a shipment of ore goes missing, someone who looks like he doesn't belong here starts asking questions about it. Don't you?
The soldiers finally burst through the door. Judging by their expressions they are not looking for justice, they are looking for blood. A lot of blood. Maybe you should have taken the window.
[disguise] Assassins! I saw them! They fled through the window. They were going to kill me! Thank the fates you came to rescue me! *drop on your knees*

There is a stone statue of a demon reading a book. The demon is carved with great precision, and his pose reflects deep thoughts and tranquility. As you approach, the statue closes the book in one fluid motion and looks at you with amusement:

I do believe we have a visitor. Unfortunately, it appears that we are closed at the moment, and I've been instructed to dispose of all visitors. Therefore, we have a dilemma.

Dispose?

Kill. Destroy. Murder. Do you have any preferences in the matter? If there is some sort of death you would enjoy more, feel free to share that with me. Being an expert in killing, I'm sure I'm familiar with most methods and would be more than happy to accomodate your request.

An expert in killing?

Not very bright, are you? * the guardian draw two blades out of nowhere with an alarming speed*

* trying hard to ignore the blades* You mentioned a dilemma...

Very observant of you. Yes, a dilemma. You see, there is something you can do for me, and in return I'll let you go free. Even better, I'll allow you to explore this place and give you a great treasure that was given to me for safekeeping. How does that sound to you?

[streetwise] That bit about the treasure was way overdone, don't you think?

Hmm, not so stupid after all. Alright, here is a deal. Try to leave and I'll kill you, stay and argue with me and I'll kill you, do what I tell you and maybe you will live to see the daylight again. So, what's it going to be?

(if you want to see all the options, I believe you can find them in this thread (page 2 or 3)
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17116

[streetwise] An ambitious task that, for some reasons, is offered to an outsider. How many have tried and died before me, Linos?

[trading] 50 imperials? It's an insult, but I'll overlook it if you give me 10% on everything I help you recover. Including the stolen ore shipment that's worth at least a few thousand imperials.

[lore] You examine the symbols...

[combat] Fuck off. Now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lestat said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/skills.htm

Persuasion - The smooth art of convincing people to act in your interests through reasoning and/or personal magnetism.

Etiquette - Understanding of proper behavior protocols and how to apply them to your benefits. In other words, what to do when you can't be direct.

Streetwise - Your defense against someone else's skills of persuasion. It's the alarm that goes off when someone tries to take advantage of you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom