Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For the python programmers here: interested in pyFIFE ?

mvBarracuda

Augur
I would like to explain the whole idea in more detail but unfortunately I'm dead tired so here is the short version:

We were recently brainstorming about the scripting API changes for the upcoming FIFE 2007.2 release. We did realize that the whole scripting API concept will heavily depend on if we stick to the current "embed Lua as scripting language"-approach or if we switch to an "extend a scripting language (e.g. python) with C++ engine code"-approach.

While we're sure that changing to an extend approach would give developers who would like to use FIFE for their games new possibilities, going down this route will also mean to throw away quite some code that is already in place. Even more important we would need to redesign certain parts of FIFE after the release of the 2007.2 milestone so we could wrap it up nicely into python.

If anybody is interested in the whole approach, there is proof of concept code in one of our SVN branches:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/en ... wig/engine

To wrap up this example code into python, see the commit message posted here:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/en ... geset/1185

We would like to hear feedback from the python gurus who browse the codex if the whole approach appears to be worth a try as long term solution. For the not so tech-savvy guys and girls: this would mean you could develope your FIFE-based game in python.

Feedback please. And let me know if you need more information about the whole concept, I don't write code for FIFE but I hope I understood the whole concept well enough to further explain it here if questions arise.

Oarfish

Prophet
Have you considered using boost::python over SWIG? Its been a while, but I remember that SWIG's handling of std::string isn't very good.

Python support is a good idea though, not only do you get a scripting language, but also a whole slew of external tools and libraries if needed.

mvBarracuda

Augur
Oarfish said:
Have you considered using boost::python over SWIG? Its been a while, but I remember that SWIG's handling of std::string isn't very good.

Python support is a good idea though, not only do you get a scripting language, but also a whole slew of external tools and libraries if needed.
The advantage of using SWIG is that we could use it for auto-generating bindinds code for our lua scripts too. We're currently using an rather simple bindings solutions called "lunar.h" but writing bindings code this way is quite a lot of work :-/ So using SWIG for this task would be a major advantage.

tozth

Novice
pyFIFE would kick ass. You could also check out Py++. Some nice advocacy for Py++ can be found here.

Riso

Arcane
If you already invested a lot time and effort in the LUA code I'd keep it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom