Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best way to test new ideas for dialog

Callaxes

Arbiter
Instead of trying to provide enough dialog for 500 NPCs, I think developers who realy want to push their abilities at making believable dialog for their CRPGs should focus mainly on the party members.

My idea is droping the PC and 3-8 NPCs in the middle of nowhere, say... your plane crashes somewhere in a remote mountain plateau, the nearest sign of civilization is 800 miles in any direction, you and the surviving passagers need to stick togheter and make out alive. So there are no towns or villages with static NPCs, just the people you need to save from starvation or the extreme high altitude cold.

Unlike in most games, the character customization doesn't focus on the PC, but on the party, you get to customize the personality of your followers, which will effect what they will say throughout the game. It could be something like the personality test in Jagged Alliance and along with that, you get to choose some personality traits which decide how each of them will react to certain situations (for example someone might have a passion for the macabre, meaning that if he sees a dead body of an animal, he will have a positive reaction in comparison to one who is fain hearted).

Thydron

Liturgist
There should be a better reason for having an RPG with only 3 people (however interesting an idea) than "we cant make NPCs work"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The idea in itself isn't that bad, but to really make it work you should limit the control of the player on one character whom he creates.
All the other survivors will be his party, but only follow him like in Arcanum. They will develop and act with their own will, and not do what the player tells them. This lets their personalities shine through by actions and by the way they act in combat. Thus they are only party NPCs, and can betray you, have a certain amount of loyalty towards you, and develop their personality themselves, and also their stats according to their personality. This makes interaction also more possible than having them all as player character.
If they are as developed as your party members in PST, this game could hold quite some appeal. Especially if the story can be developed by talking and interacting with them, and if persuading certain party members to do certain things is vital to success.

Globbi

Augur
I don't think Arcanum is a good exapmle of NPC that follow you. The idea is indeed interesting but since the interaction should be better than what was in games we have seen then leading the party should be better as well. I don't know how it may look like in game but it should consist of a orders and consulting about what to do.

Setting for such game can have lots of possibilities. Plane crash may be ok but all I can think of to do then is to wander in one direction towards where people live. I imagine a world like Myst where there are people and sings of people but it is not easy to meet them, you talk to just a few.

elander_

Arbiter
Too generic and too robotic. Try to come up with characters that have unique dialogs and personalities. Characters whose behavior isn't easily predictable and have complex motivations other than sadist, humanitarian, etc. Leave that to good writers.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Thydron said:
There should be a better reason for having an RPG with only 3 people (however interesting an idea) than "we cant make NPCs work"

That's not the reason. The idea is taking a Fallout-size text dialog and squizing it in 3-8 NPCs and giving the ability to customize their personality so that they will have different reactions to events, each time you replay the game.

I imagine a world like Myst where there are people and sings of people but it is not easy to meet them, you talk to just a few.

A fantasy setting migh make it possible to develop some original characters, but in a Myst-type of world you have to find the NPCs, instead of costumizing them from the start.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with JarlFrank here.

If the main focus of the game is your fellow party members, it doesn't make any sense for YOU to control them. Have their actions controlled by their personalities, how you treat them and how they feel about you. Allow the other party members choose whether they wish to follow you, stab you in the back or take charge and put you in the back seat. Sure, you can bark orders to them, but they may not listen to you.

I'm currently playing through NWN2 right now, and I'm kind of sick of NPCs who will follow you to the ends of the earth and straight into danger for no substantial reason even if you treat them like shit.

Section8

Cipher
I'm toying with a similar idea, and I'm sure there have been discussions of it in the past. But, like the previous couple of posters, I'd steer clear of giving the player absolute control over everyone. The whole strength of the idea is that you can focus on in-depth development and exposition of a small ensemble cast, why shit on that by taking away all the mystery?

After all, the player's first reaction is going to be "what personalities will be best for winning the game?"

Shoelip

Arbiter
I really like this survival idea. It would be especially interesting if you're actions could determine what characters survive whatever disaster happens to join the party.

I would love to play a game like this.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Thydron said:

Umm, like what kind of reason? Maybe it being an interesting idea?

Anyway, that sounds great, but I for one would prefer a zombie or post-apocalyptic setting to a plane crash, although that may be interesting too. After your crash, you could maybe d meet a cannibal tribe (or two tribes at war) and try not to get eaten (you can't speak to them, but can figure out alternate ways of communication).

Shoelip

Arbiter
I think the idea was that there weren't any other people besides the other survivers. I like the idea of a frozen mountain range, that way there could be strong winds preventing air rescue.

Then again it could be good almost anywhere.

Section8

Cipher
I think the idea was that there weren't any other people besides the other survivers. I like the idea of a frozen mountain range, that way there could be strong winds preventing air rescue.

Then again it could be good almost anywhere.

I'd love a game that starts out as a football management sim. You assemble a squad of players according to their football playing stats, and then bam! You're on a fucking mountaintop in the Andes, resorting to cannibalism just to survive.

Seriously though, it would be an interesting situation to RP. You presumably have the basic needs of food, water, shelter and warmth, and very limited resources so that you can't possibly maintain all of your needs for any length of time. Do you act conservatively and wait for rescue? Do you expend the effort and resources trying to get out of a lethal environment? Do you leave behind the weak? Eat them? Etc.

Beats the shit out of saving a fucking world filled with elves and goblins.

Drakron

Arcane
It have been done to a extent you know ... last one is Lost in Blue 2.

Also I think we are moving away from the subject that is full voice acting, having a game with few NPC is not solving the issue, its simply bypassing the issue.

Shoelip

Arbiter
No one ever mentioned voice acting.

Yes, if we were forced to resort to canabalism it'ed be, er, cool(?) to set up a system like, "Ok, we'll start with the one's who are already dead and nobody knew." I heard about some people doing this once. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom