Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Here you will find the latest versions of my GUI.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Main GUI: (ingame)

combat00027.jpg

Dialogue Screen:

Inventory Screen: (ingame)

newGui2.jpg

Trade Screen: (ingame)

newGui1.jpg

Alchemy Screen: (ingame)

newGui4.jpg

Crafting Screen:

Character Screen: (ingame)

newGui3.jpg

Journal Screen:

Map Screen: (THE MAP IS A PLACEHOLDER)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Firsties!

Well, that's a very cool idea.

I like the screens in general. I notice two things, however. First of all, the right wooden beam you use in the "Main GUI Marble" is too dark. That looks very out of place.
Also, it occurs to me that the trading screen didn't change, although there were a few issues with that. Of course I don't know all the facts about what's required from the interface.

Slylandro

Scholar
For me the only possible case in which the bricks GUI looks better is the map and maybe the journal. For all the rest it's just too distracting. That's just me though, and I'm glad there's a choice.

elander_

Arbiter
@Elhoim

Some sugestions, don't throw away your alternate gui themes. If the game supports theme selection both can be used.

On the journal thingy i love the idea of registering not only quest info but also every other info related to encounters, lore, ingrideants, places, etc

It may be better to group quests by location the Fallout instead of the Morrowind way. When we click on an area we get a list of the quests we found in this area in the main. Clicking on an entry in this list shows the quest text with some buttons to scroll or go back to the index.

Azban

Novice
I prefer the marble style to the bricks style in every screen. They are both great, but the marble has a little less going on than the bricks.

The_Pope

Scholar
The item screens seem quite irksome unless you only ever have to carry about 10 items. I'd recommend having really small items and magnifying them when you mouseover if you really must have huge ones.

The Idiot

Novice
Those borders around the lava thing in the crafting screen are tad too big. Maybe that background behind items needs darkening, not enough contrast IMO. Excellent work otherwise. Keep it up.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
elander_ said:
@Elhoim

Some sugestions, don't throw away your alternate gui themes. If the game supports theme selection both can be used.

On the journal thingy i love the idea of registering not only quest info but also every other info related to encounters, lore, ingrideants, places, etc

It may be better to group quests by location the Fallout instead of the Morrowind way. When we click on an area we get a list of the quests we found in this area in the main. Clicking on an entry in this list shows the quest text with some buttons to scroll or go back to the index.

I have no intention of throwing them away.

About you inquires the screen functionality, VD is your man. I only design the looks. ;)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The_Pope said:
The item screens seem quite irksome unless you only ever have to carry about 10 items. I'd recommend having really small items and magnifying them when you mouseover if you really must have huge ones.

I recommend you to read the last pages of the pretti interface thread. This has been discussed over and over ;)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Re: Firsties!

Claw said:
Well, that's a very cool idea.

I like the screens in general. I notice two things, however. First of all, the right wooden beam you use in the "Main GUI Marble" is too dark. That looks very out of place.
Also, it occurs to me that the trading screen didn't change, although there were a few issues with that. Of course I don't know all the facts about what's required from the interface.

Dark wood: You are right! It wasn´t intended.

Trade screen: Yeah, I still haven´t changed its functionality. Will do it soon, but not so soon. :)

John Yossarian

Magister
Not again with the soon crap please.
I gotta say, you really answered the concerns about consistency, and as one of the people that complained about too many textures, I can tell you at least the marble set doesn't have that problem now. Excellent job, che.
I still think the borders around the lava are too big though (and why is it rocks? are rocks involved in crafting somehow?).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nice work! I think it's evident by now which version I like better. Marble all the way!
Less textured, easier on the eyes.

Here comes a long list of nitpicks.
Claw said:
First of all, the right wooden beam you use in the "Main GUI Marble" is too dark.
Seems to me that it's the case for all the screens. The wood gets gradually darker as we go from left to right in each screen. Maybe tone it down a little.

Other than that, in the main GUI, for the sake of symmetry/consistency (if you care about that), you coud align the "separator" between the weapon slots with one from the icon's, like you did with the others.

Still on the main GUI, maybe having all the icons on the top line and leaving weapon slots and AP/HP indicators on the bottom one would be better. Sure, you'd lose in icon real estate, but might gain in clarity.

Edit: quick mockup, a bit blurry because of the extensive resizing.
mainguialignediconsba0.jpg

Apart from that, the X is still ugly.

Like the others have said, the rocks in the crafting screen are odd. Too grainy/noisy, plus they are embossed so they come out even more.

The Character screen still come to me as a bit unclear. I guess the section titles are not emphasised enough (for my taste), most likely because the gold font on the brown box doesn't come out so well.

Something ticks me in the inventory screen. There's too much stuff happening. Without the tabbar, it would be fine, but we don't want to remove that. I don't know if putting the tabbar on top of the inventory items would be better, but we'd lose some of the already limited space for them. I think denizsi's idea to make all the item boxes the same size was a good solution.

Edit6: another mockup. The other edits were not worthy, icons where too small.
inventoryscreenretoollaqv2.jpg

Jora

Arcane
I like both versions very much, though I prefer bricks. Good work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom