Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has Relic Lost the Plot?

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

<p>According to THQ's job listings, <a href="http://www.relic.com/" target="_blank" title="Relic">Relic</a> is looking to hire senior designers for an <a href="http://careers.thq.com/thq/cc/CCJobResultsAction.ss?command=ViewJobDetails&job_REQUISITION_NUMBER=15223" target="_blank" title="RPG job">RPG project</a> and <a href="http://careers.thq.com/thq/cc/CCJobResultsAction.ss?command=ViewJobDetails&job_REQUISITION_NUMBER=15222" target="_blank" title="MMO job">MMO project</a>. Apparently, dominating the RTS field isn't enough for the Canadian company. What's next? Ensemble doing a Halo game? Oh wait...never mind.</p><p>edit: At least one of the titles might be a Dawn of War game as they're looking for people to "Work in the Dawn of War franchise!" Check these ads for <a href="http://www.pleaseapply.to/cgi-bin/template.cgi?&unit=rr_cur_en&tfile=template-custom/js-search_jobs-view_job.tpl&filename=0420898fef480a53432f8520cecc6306187153a3e80374a339a5d9a3f83b7cc453b0dcadc9b499062f2aefb6ecca77f33df476678d74ddb7d8058b7a&affil=company_client&agency_code_u=0c268186e79b5899b75a&header=frameless/relic/header.tpl&footer=frameless/relic/footer.tpl" target="_blank">Senior Network Programmer</a>, <a href="http://www.pleaseapply.to/cgi-bin/template.cgi?&unit=rr_cur_en&tfile=template-custom/js-search_jobs-view_job.tpl&filename=0420898fef480a53432f8520cecc6306187153a3e80374a339a5d9a3f83b7cc453b0dcadc9b499062f2aefb6e1ca67f33df476678d75dca4d8058b7a&affil=company_client&agency_code_u=0c268186e79b5899b75a&header=frameless/relic/header.tpl&footer=frameless/relic/footer.tpl" target="_blank">Senior Graphics Programmer</a>, and <a href="http://www.pleaseapply.to/cgi-bin/template.cgi?&unit=rr_cur_en&tfile=template-custom/js-search_jobs-view_job.tpl&filename=0420898fef480a53432f8520cecc6306187153a3e80374a339a5d9a3f83b7cc453b0dcadc9b499062f2aefb6e2c767f33df476678d6bceabd8058b7a&affil=company_client&agency_code_u=0c268186e79b5899b75a&header=frameless/relic/header.tpl&footer=frameless/relic/footer.tpl" target="_blank">Senior Animation & Physics Programmer</a>.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.firingsquad.com/">FiringSquad</a></p>

Ryuken

Liturgist
Hmm, the ending of Dark Crusade clearly showed that there would be a next Dawn of War game in 2007. But if that's another expansion, DoW2 on the CoH engine or a non-rts wasn't clear. A Warhammer 40.000 rpg would be cool though and in one of the developer interviews I saw, the DC lead designer clearly said it's the kind of game he always wanted to make.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I still can't picture how a WH 40K RPG could possibly be anything more than hack and shoot.

Grafo

Augur
I still can't picture how a WH 40K RPG could possibly be anything more than hack and shoot.

Well considering that's what passes off as an RPG these days they don't have much to worry about.

Astromarine

Erudite
the 40k RPG is a possibility, especially since GW will release in early 2k7 the 40K pen and paper RPG. Would be a neat tie-in, and means the rules system has been worked on already.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Cthulhu said:
What's the point of a PnP RPG? You control one unit, when it dies you control another? Or you control a commander?
Why do you think it has to be like that? There's tons of backstory and fluff on the WH40k universe, it would be absolutely no problem to create a setting for an RPG. Use your imagination a little. You sound that old poster who was saying WW1 games can't be fun because it would just be about sitting in a trench and that's the only possible type of WW1 game there can be.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Why do you think it has to be like that? There's tons of backstory and fluff on the WH40k universe, it would be absolutely no problem to create a setting for an RPG. Use your imagination a little. You sound that old poster who was saying WW1 games can't be fun because it would just be about sitting in a trench and that's the only possible type of WW1 game there can be.

Because units always die. You're yet another Space Marine, oh, boy, here comes the Chaos Dreadnought. You're dead. Unless there's something else in W40K other than killing each other. Or if they use a kind of modified rule, making your unit a special one?

Perhaps you control a hero unit? So that you won't die in the first five minutes? I'm not questioning the setting, I'm questioning the gameplay.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Cthulhu said:
kingcomrade said:

Because units always die. You're yet another Space Marine, oh, boy, here comes the Chaos Dreadnought. You're dead. Unless there's something else in W40K other than killing each other. Or if they use a kind of modified rule, making your unit a special one?

Perhaps you control a hero unit? So that you won't die in the first five minutes? I'm not questioning the setting, I'm questioning the gameplay.

Again, what the heck are you talking about? "Control a hero unit?" This isn't a Dawn of War mod.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Again, what the heck are you talking about? "Control a hero unit?" This isn't a Dawn of War mod.

Whatever you call it. Excuse me if I never played the tabletop game. I'm trying to refer to the player character you would control in a PnP game. A HQ unit, a notable character, anything that isn't cannon fodder...

Ah, forget it, I'm being too confusing. Anyway, what's your gameplay idea?

Astromarine

Erudite
You should buy and read a book called Eisenhorn from the Black Library, all your confusion would be dispelled. Basically, the main character is an inquisitor, he has a "party" of friends, and he goes all across the empire solving crimes, uncovering and destroying chaos cults, cleansing xenos infestations, etc. It's a matter of scale, basically. In the RPG a Space Marine is an absolute monster, and a Chaos Dreadnought would be a "boss" to be faced after a year-long campaign, extremely hard and possibly fatal for the entire party. A Space Marine Tactical Squad would absolutely murder everyone. etc, etc. It has nothing to do with the tabletop.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Wait so there is a WH40K PnP RPG? Seems like the roleplaying would be kind of boring. Like a party of Paladins.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Why a party of Paladins? Are you saying that Space Marines are the only thing in the 40k universe?

I don't get why you people are so befuddled. Is it lack of imagination or stupidity or what?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well I guess it's just like how angsty teens are the only characters in anime, It's completely untrue, but it's so much more fun to pretend it's true and then act all superior and smartassy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom