Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am a piece of shit class traitor

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Alright.

I'm replaying Morrowind again and I've come to the shocking/stunning/arousing conclusion that the game is actually somewhat decent with the expansions installed. Decent as in "fun, action-adventure hack 'n slash" which I've actually been craving for a while (heck, I've even reinstalled Diablo 1. Yeah that's right, ONE).

Now I want to expand my horizons with the help of many <s>mind-altering drugs</s> game-altering mods. Note, I do not want zomg uber item munchkin mods but mods that overall enhance the gameplay. Stat mods, skill mods, class mods, mods that add new locations etc etc.

So please, help a poor misguided fella out. I'm cold and lonely and can't find my pants. You want me to wear pants don't you?!?!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Call me a sucker for northern winterlands, but Bloodmoon adds a really neat enviorment (I think at least) and werewolves are always fun. Plus they add some dialouges and interesting quests and what not. Tribunal is cool because it adds some big fuck-ton dungeons to the mix along with party members and such.

The main problem I have with Morrowind is the utter lack of inventive quests. Almost all of them are fed-ex stlye stuff but there's some gold hidden in some of them. I particularly liked the rewards from the guild quests (mansions? sahweet!) along with the morag-tong assassination missions. Bloodmoon adds some neat questing and a cool enviorment, but its just not enough to balance out all the blandness.

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't understand how you could dig the core gameplay of Morrowind. From what I can gather, Oblivion is essentially the same whackamole thing but less bad. The good stuff of Morrowind is in the weird format of the metanarrative and in the art design and some of the writing.

suibhne

Erudite
I enjoyed Morrowind as an exploration-heavy action-RPG, but Tribunal and Bloodmoon are both far superior to the original imo. My only problem with Tribunal is the disappointing ending of its main questline. Bloodmoon actually offers some alternatives, as well as a consistent but very different scenario compared to Morrowind - and one of the reasons Oblivion is so disappointing is simply that Bloodmoon suggested Beth was getting smarter (at least marginally) rather than not.

That said, I haven't played any Morrowind mods in years, and I'm not about to reinstall. :wink:

Darkflame

Scholar
The LGNPC series adds much better dialogue to the NPCs, and adds many more quests. For questmods I recommend Oluhan, Annastia, Illuminated Order and Blackmill, all far better than anything found in the original game.

Combat enhanced and Blocking enhanced is a must, and so are all the creature/NPC adding mods (like MCA).

Additional weapons (i.e. Assassins Armory) and better faces/bodies are nice tinsel, but aren't necessary.

Lastly, all of the tweaks I have listed below, especially the Hardcore series, are absolutely necessary if you want to have any fun at all. And keep in mind load order is a big issue with Morrowind mods... if you require clarification on anything let me know.

GameFile0=Assassins Armory.esm
GameFile1=Beauty_Pack.esm
GameFile2=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile3=GIANTS.esm
GameFile4=Havish.esm
GameFile5=MCA.esm
GameFile6=Morrowind Advanced.esm
GameFile7=Morrowind.esm
GameFile8=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
GameFile9=Texture Fix 1.7.esm
GameFile10=Tribunal.esm
GameFile11=A Call to Issilar.esp
GameFile12=Additions_Revamped__clean_.esp
GameFile13=Annastia V3.3.esp
GameFile14=AreaEffectArrows.esp
GameFile15=Ashlander Traders.esp
GameFile16=Assassins Armory - Bolt Rifles.esp
GameFile17=Assassins Armory - No Scripts.esp
GameFile18=Balance - Character.esp
GameFile19=Balance - items.esp
GameFile20=Balance - Magic Effects.esp
GameFile21=Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp
GameFile22=Balance - spells.esp
GameFile23=Better Bodies.esp
GameFile24=Better Clothes Beta_1.4.esp
GameFile25=Birdies by Cait and Leeloo.esp
GameFile26=Blight Bounties.esp
GameFile27=BM-Fixes.esp
GameFile28=Booty.esp
GameFile29=BrittlewindFixed.esp
GameFile30=Byb_Traders 300.esp
GameFile31=Cait's Squirrels.esp
GameFile32=CastReduce-v30.esp
GameFile33=Changing Faces Replacer.esp
GameFile34=Clean Hall-of-Heroes-Expansion.esp
GameFile35=CM_Assassin_5.esp
GameFile36=Complete Trade Fix.esp
GameFile37=Creature Pack 1.1.esp
GameFile38=Creatures.esp
GameFile39=Daedric Sorcery.esp
GameFile40=DagonFel_Well.esp
GameFile41=dxm_metallic_signs.esp
GameFile42=EBJ_spell_organizer.esp
GameFile43=EcoAdj(Sri+Ingredients).esp
GameFile44=EcoAdjDaedricDrops.esp
GameFile45=EcoAdjMisc.esp
GameFile46=farrp_WeaponCompilationMod_V2.esp
GameFile47=Forested_Havish_Add-on.esp
GameFile48=Forests of Vvardenfell.esp
GameFile49=Gameplay - Dialogue.esp
GameFile50=Gameplay - Faction.esp
GameFile51=Gardeners of Morrowind.esp
GameFile52=GIANTS Ultimate no monsters in cities TB.esp
GameFile53=goth_clothez.esp
GameFile54=HardcoreLevels.esp
GameFile55=HardcoreMercantile.esp
GameFile56=Haunted Tombs v1.05a.esp
GameFile57=hauntedbridgefixed.esp
GameFile58=Healers.esp
GameFile59=height rebalancing.esp
GameFile60=horationpcenhanced11-bm.esp
GameFile61=Illegal Dwemer Trading MW-TR.esp
GameFile62=Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp
GameFile63=Illuminated Order v1.0.esp
GameFile64=Juniper's Twin Lamps (1.1 Tribunal).esp
GameFile65=Leeloo's Facepack.esp
GameFile66=LGNPC - Foreign Quarter v0.5.esp
GameFile67=LGNPC - Pelagiad.esp
GameFile68=lgnpc_Ald'ruhn.esp
GameFile69=lgnpc_AldVelothi.esp
GameFile70=lgnpc_GnaarMok.esp
GameFile71=lgnpc_HlaOad.esp
GameFile72=lgnpc_indarys_manor.esp
GameFile73=lgnpc_khuul.esp
GameFile74=lgnpc_MaarGan.esp
GameFile75=Lgnpc_SN.esp
GameFile76=LGNPC_Tel Mora_v1.02.esp
GameFile77=LGNPC_Vivec_Redoran.esp
GameFile78=Map - Deluxe.esp
GameFile79=Martistan's Castle.esp
GameFile80=MCA - Guards Patch.esp
GameFile81=MCA - NOM Patch.esp
GameFile82=Merged_Leveled_Lists.esp
GameFile83=Mining Mod V2.0 [TRIB].esp
GameFile84=More trees and foliage v1-1.esp
GameFile85=MWE_Base.esp
GameFile86=MWE_Blocking.esp
GameFile87=MWE_Combat.esp
GameFile88=MW_Adv_Required.esp
GameFile89=MW_CultOfTheClouds_v10.esp
GameFile90=Necessities of Morrowind 2.1.esp
GameFile91=NPC LCV Locks.esp
GameFile92=NPC LCV Schedules 03.esp
GameFile93=Nymeria's Faster Walk.esp
GameFile94=Nymeria's magicka potions adder.esp
GameFile95=Nymeria's Monthly Respawn.esp
GameFile96=Oluhan V1.13.esp
GameFile97=pcc_lob_shephli_66.esp
GameFile98=pfweapons.esp
GameFile99=PW_Cait_Moose.esp
GameFile100=Service_Requirements_V1.4.1&WGI.esp
GameFile101=SG-toughersixth.esp
GameFile102=Sris_Alchemy_BM.esp
GameFile103=TargetSpellSpeedMod.esp
GameFile104=Tejón's Gold Weight.esp
GameFile105=TLM - Ambient Light + Fog Update.esp
GameFile106=TLM - External Lights Ownership.esp
GameFile107=TLM - Light Sources (Clearer Lighting).esp
GameFile108=TLM - Light Sources (Lanterns).esp
GameFile109=TLM - Light Sources (Natural Water).esp
GameFile110=TLM - NPC Light Sources.esp
GameFile111=TravelingMerchants_v2.2.esp
GameFile112=t_lostheir.esp
GameFile113=Underground Hideout_v1_0.esp
GameFile114=Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
GameFile115=Wilderness Sounds T & B.esp
GameFile116=Windows Glow.esp

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Oh man, the Empirical Morrowind mods were just what I was looking for. Whoo. Trying to turn Morrowind into virtually a first-person UnReal World and things are looking good :D

Muffinwind is the best mod I've played, and it has been made by Cow Guru, who honours us with his presence here. Great mod, really, you need to play it.

Baphomet

Scholar
Zomg said:
I don't understand how you could dig the core gameplay of Morrowind. From what I can gather, Oblivion is essentially the same whackamole thing but less bad. The good stuff of Morrowind is in the weird format of the metanarrative and in the art design and some of the writing.

Never played Morrowind. From what I hear it's the same thing, but whether or not you hit depends on your stats. According to some this is the main distinction between an RPG and an FPS. (WTF +1)

Do I have this right?

Darkflame

Scholar
Baphomet said:
Never played Morrowind. From what I hear it's the same thing, but whether or not you hit depends on your stats. According to some this is the main distinction between an RPG and an FPS. (WTF +1)

Do I have this right?

Morrowind is Oblivion with more depth and much better mods. Its worth getting if you enjoyed the Ultima Underworlds, the dialogue is much worse but it and the world is perpetually being added to.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Ha! I always said Morrowind is not pure shit when all addons are installed and it was bought as niceprice. I reinstalled it about 5 times.. and always liked the start, but never finished it. And sadly I never tried any mods, seemed to be too much config hassle back then (when I was lazy as hell). So whatever you do, let us know about the result. And forget about the pants.

The Vanished One said:
Muffinwind is the best mod I've played, and it has been made by Cow Guru, who honours us with his presence here. Great mod, really, you need to play it.

I have no idea if you're serious, but you are a good man.

Admiral jimbob said:
...I have no idea if you're serious, but you are a good man.
I AM serious, I sent you an e-mail to thank you not long ago... I think it was written in terrible english, but it was sincere.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I'd look for the Illuminated Order if I were you. A great quest/story mod, very well written and adds some interesting locations and characters.

Zomg

Arbiter
Also, fuck you ESF furfags for not saying galsiah's character development.

User was nabbed fit

I liked Morrowind up until it got too easy for me to win, which was pretty soon. Even on max difficulty.

golgotha

Liturgist
* = never tried, myself.

Suran Underworld
Qarl's Underground
Living Cities of Vvardenfell
Regionally Known Criminals
* Morrowind Comes Alive
* Complete Morrowind

Suran Underworld is the single greatest experience I had within Morrowind.
Qarl's Underground is pretty good, a lot of interesting stuff to see and do.
Living Cities gives NPC's in most towns schedules and shops have opening and closing times.
Regionally Known Criminals makes it so getting caught for stealing in one town won't increase your bounty across the entire continent. If you think you'll play as a vampire, definitely check out Vampire Embrace.

ixg

Erudite
I would have liked to used Morrowind Comes Alive. BUT I DON'T WANT GOTHIC CRAP ARMOR AND TRANSVESTITE HARPIES

elander_

Arbiter
Bethesda did something well when they did the Morrowind TESCS. And with Oblivion they shited on moders. Bethesda is a heartless whore.

On a positive note Galsiah used to post in some of the "dead to classes, levels and d&d crap heritage" threads i made and he was very interested in this idea. You realy should try his mod, cause you will be playing a fully automatic rpg system with no skill caps where your character depends only on the way you play the game.

http://uk.geocities.com/galsiah/

His moded character development system is way better than the dumbed down crap they used for Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom