Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The defenition of RPG

St. Toxic

Arcane
I know it's been mentioned over here that the defenition of rpg's often finds itself a little skewed out there in the real world. Maybe you've thrown some cocks around about what actually makes an rpg, except for the obvious "RPG" lable on the game box that sort of prooves everything, and some of you probably went into a frenzied quality discussion, after fooling yourselves that it's so subjective there's nothing concrete to stand on. If so, I don't want to rake that up. Then again, the codex is 'putting the "role" back in rpg', which by my standards isn't exactly what's missing out of the new-gen trash.

Now, I've been following a selfmade thesis about what factors make an rpg, be it piece of shit or golden nugget ( because that's pretty objective ) and while it's not especially enlightening, it beats the crap out of "GAEM WHERE U PLAY ROLE" defenition ( which isn't just mongoloid standard -- it's market standard ) and I guess I'd like some feedback on this age old idea of mine.

Firstly, it's a simple formula consisting of 4 core rules: The choice of skills, the impact of chosen skills, the choice of action, the impact of chosen action.

Meaning;
1) The skills may not be chosen for you, or progressed in 'mmo style', as the choice of recieving the skill upgrade is not instantaneous and thus partly a choice of game mechanics.

2) Actions adherent to the skill base may not be inconsequent of the character's skill% level. This statement leaves room for numeral ranking, 1 (actions 100% reliant on skill% [you're flying a plane set on Auto-Pilot]) - 5(actions barely reliant on skill% [you're doing the rough work while getting cookies thrown at you]), and can partly define cRPG's as having 'lite', 'medium' or 'heavy' skill impact.

3) The game must at some time or other present the player with a choice of action, which in accordance to rule 4 will have some impact on the game world. This statement leaves room for numeral ranking, 1 (choice heavy [You figure "Screw the invasion main-quest!" and go underground to let the world fall into chaos]) - 5(choice lite [You approach the dungeon by a secret tunnel and in the cloak of shadows, instead of the obvious caved entrance]), and can partly define cRPG's as having 'lite', 'medium' or 'heavy' choice ratio.

4) The choices made within the game will never go unnoticed by the game. This statement leaves room for numeral ranking, 1 (impact heavy [Travelling by sea in prefference over land has after 5 years of adventuring gained you a +2 general resistance to bad friggin weather]) - 5(choice lite [You chose Door N. 2 and got a shiny gem instead of a rubber chicken]), and can partly define cRPG's as having 'lite', 'medium' or 'heavy' choice impact ratio.

If a game keeps scoring 5's, it's pushing itself over to a cARPG defeniton. It doesn't make it inferior or less fun, but in need of genre redefenition.

Example of application:

Oblivion
1) Skills outside of ch. creation are added to my character based on the actions I perform, forming the character around me in contrast to me around my character. Failed.
2) While skills give bonuses, they are of no greater consequence to my actions, and I am never dependant on my character's skills. Rating outside of scale. Failed.
3) Barely 5 in combat situations. Rating outside of scale in quest situations. Failed.
4) No sacrifice = No choice. Failed.

Conclusion: FPF with MMO mechanics and exploration and great possibilities for cLARP.

Diablo
1) Selectable at level up and in ch. creation, right? Check.
2) RT-combat. Reflex based gameplay. 3-4. Check.
3) Few such presentations, beyond equipment managment, trade and shortcuts. 4-5. Check.
4) The few choices made have some minor impact on my performance. 5. Check.

Conclusion: cARPG.

Fallout
1) Selectable at level up and in ch. creation. Check.
2) TB-combat. Actions responsive to stats and skills. 2. Check.
3) In abundance. 2. Check.
4) Quest results and choices impact on gameworld to some degree. 2-3.

Conclusion: cRPG

As said ten times, it holds no defenition on quality, only genre. The 4 basic rules can be webbed together, and there are a couple of good combinations. Having tossed this subject around I have been given no coherent, unbiased addition to the ruleset, and thus consider it concrete, core material. This thesis assumes that pure cRPG's are closer connected to dynamic adventure games than they are to action-heavy dungeon crawlers, as both are a reasonable step up from pnp, each representing a different crowd of players.

galsiah

Erudite
St. Toxic said:
1) The skills may not be chosen for you, or progressed in 'mmo style', as the choice of recieving the skill upgrade is not instantaneous and thus partly a choice of game mechanics.
Bad rule.
Use-based systems do not "choose the skill for you". You choose through your actions.

Of course the use-based systems in Morrowind and Oblivion suck, but that is largely because they weren't designed carefully. It is certainly possible to get a use-based system to support reasonable RPG results. Requiring a point-buy / levelling approach as one of your rules is foolish - it smacks of irrational TES-hate / Fallout love.

In any case, in Morrowind (and in Oblivion to an extent) you can get skill increases instantly through training. You can then choose attribute increases instantly on level-up. Given that these are some of the poorest (and unRPG-like) aspects of the system, why is it that they come closest to supporting a more RPG rating in your setup?

The aspect of MW / OB skill increase which sucks is the lack of consequence of initial skill choices (i.e. "class"), and the lack of long term consequence of further skill increase (since eventually everything can be "Maxed out" :shudder:).

This has nothing to do with the method of acquisition of skill points, which is almost entirely directly based on player choice (you choose your actions), and somewhat indirectly (you choose to go into combat, so get hit, using armour...).
Of course, skill point gain could be improved through context sensitivity too, but there's nothing to stop this from happening.

What is missing from Oblivion / Morrowind skill system is the consequence, not the choice. The choice (through action) is there - it's just totally useless.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've also seen "cRPG" used by those deemphasising the former part or emphasising the latter.

Slylandro

Scholar
whatusername said:
mvBarracuda said:
whatusername said:
Fallout is a console RPG!?
cRPG = computer roleplaying game ...

If remember correctly:

cRPG = Console Role-Playing Game
CRPG: Computer Role-Playing Game

Do you have any source for that? There was a discussion at Wikipedia some weeks ago about this. A conclusion was reached that the above terminology was a neologism pushed by a small group of WP editors trying to distinguish between computer and console role-playing games concisely, and not terms used by the general public. Unfortunately, the fact that WP is used by the general public creates a feedback loop. So in either case, do you have a non-WP source for this? The CRPG / cRPG disambiguation was reverted because there was insufficient evidence found for the distinction prior to the WP entry.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
jrpg and wrpg used to be good enough, but enough western companies are moving over to consoles it doesn't work as well anymore.

dongle

Scholar
"When the gun's a sword, it's an RPG" - ESF poster

:D

St. Toxic said:
As said ten times, it holds no defenition on quality, only genre.
Sorry, but I think you're doing just that here.

Any definition of a genre should have room for an example of it that sucks. All the poor design choices and features missed out on doesn't change the genre Oblivion belongs in. You're defining some of the characteristics that make a -good- RPG, then rating how well three games live up to that. This being the Codex, that's a noble pursuit. Doesn't mean jack about what genre a game belongs in tho.

7th Circle

Scholar
St. Toxic said:

This seems to dictate an XP system. Like galsiah said, are you actually prepared to say that any raise by use system is not an rpg?

3)

snip

4)

I am completely puzzled how you can fail Oblivion but not Diablo on these. Your little descriptions you provide for each game don't help either.

2) While skills give bonuses, they are of no greater consequence to my actions,.

This sounds contradictory. Can you re-express it?

elander_

Arbiter
"If you want to know what an rpg is look at the definition, Role-Playing-Game. It's a computer game where you play some sort of role." - ESF thing

Excrément

Arbiter
IMO cARG cRPG VP WOT OB MW DF RPG XP NSFW ESF WP TES cLARP FPF MMO WOW KC VD FPS RP CIA AI BTW IMO FU lmao rofl pwn OMG AA ADSL APCI B2B

7th Circle said:
I am completely puzzled how you can fail Oblivion but not Diablo on these.

Really? It's actually quite obvious. You see, while Diablo generally is accepted for what it is, Oblivion is not. Toxie here is struggling to be cool.

Zomg

Arbiter
Terrible OP, but there should probably be a solid, "What is an RPG?" thread every seven or eight months for new lurkers that are going through the Codex coursework games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom