Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info NWN 1.68 now visible

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights

<a href="http://www.3dgamers.com/">3D Gamers</a> has the <a href="http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096485702/">1.68 patch</a> for <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a>. While there are a fair number of changes and fixes, none stand more importantly than:
<br>
<ul><li>Added visible cloaks to the game.</li></ul>
<br>
Finally, after all these years! You can finally see that l33t ph4t l3wt cloak you found on your character.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
See, that's why you're a dumbfuck, Sarvis. If you look at the changelog, that's the only thing really worth posting about unless you're a complete NWN whore and care about the rest.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I thought the point of the recent patches is to tweak the toolset, slowly bringing it closer to the one Obsidian uses for NWN2... patching the toolset is definitely a good thing, since people are still making mods.

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn may rabidly correct me on this, but I believe this is just some things they had started when Atari said to stop making new content for NWN, so they just finished up the stuff and published the patch.

It's probably going to be the last one...

burrie

Scholar
I believe Bioware commented a while back that there will be another one, contrare to what was reported earlier when Atari supposedly shut things down. It was when they first revealed the new cloaks over at the NWVault, I think.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Parts of this - including the cloaks - were all part of certain PM that BIo was adding. in fact, I think visible cloaks was made by one of thos egroups.

Ther eis gonna be one more patch (at least). This one is small, and SP is correct though that claoks are probably the most importan/visible (hehe) tthing for *players*. Not a biggie, since 1.67 was a HUGE patch anyways and that was just a few months ago.

Coolios.

P.S. PM pay for these patches.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. Atari fears that the NWN1 PM will force NWN2 to bomb in terms of sales. LOL

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Like they need Premium Modules for NWN1 to make NWN2 bomb. I'm sure it can do that just fine on its own.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Um. But, it's not. It's gonna sell 1 mil+ copies. Something it would have done even if Atari didn't play stupid.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I think the visible cloak thing was a big deal to some modders. They had either created some or enabled the functionality for use in the PM programme and were worried that it wouldn't see the light of day with the way Atari is these days.

So, good news for them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Modders or not, visible cloaks really should have been part of the original game. There were several cloaks in the OC, some of which were fairly nice. When you get a nice cloak, it's kind of nice to actually be able to see it on your character.

If we're talking about cloaks just for the sake of dress up, that's one thing. However, when you find a special item or some such, it's kind of nice to see it represented. That was supposedly one of the big selling points of 3D over 2D, after all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Modders or not, visible cloaks really should have been part of the original game."

'Should' is a bogus word here. Visible cloaks are nice, and all; but they're NOT that important. Seriously, can you truly name more than one person (there's always one crazY) whose opinion would have changed on NWN if visible cloaks were in the initial release? They add NOTHING to the gameplay.

They're a nice little bonus, and that's it.

Surgey

Scholar
He didn't say it made or broke the game, he just said cloaks should have been visible. I mean, didn't they have the technology? There really wasn't much reason for them to not be visible, unless you count minor clipping as a good reason, despite the fact that clipping wouldn't have made NWN look any worse.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Clipping, and time were the reasons (or as others would say exuses) that BIO used for non visible cloaks (or flowing robes, or anything else that was missing from the game minus the clipping part heh).

Basically, there was more important things for BIO to focus on. And, no again, the idea that cloaks should have been 'visible' is bogus. Should implies that the game would somehow be much, much better with visible cloaks. It wouldn't be, and it isn't. Visible cloaks are a nice little bonus, and that's it.

Period.

"Being able to customize the look of your armor added nothing to gameplay, yet it was in HotU."

Agreed. It was an added little bonus. But, nor was it required. Someone's opinion of HOTU wouldn't have been improved or made worse if customizing the look of armour was not included in HOTU.

They likely found a way to add it in a reasonable, and satisfactory amount of time and quality so did so. They didn't with visible cloaks so they didn't add them.

"despite the fact that clipping wouldn't have made NWN look any worse."

Proof please.

suibhne

Erudite
I really hate to agree with Volourn, or even partially support one of her points, but don't forget that ToEE had capes and had clipping. It didn't bug me that much, but I don't think it's totally wild 'n' crazy for Bioware to have said they weren't willing to put in cloaks that didn't look perfect - and that making them look perfect would take resources from other, more important stuff.

Doesn't matter in the end, anyway, since the user community came through. To me, this has been a dead issue for awhile.

Binary

Liturgist
What I think is commendable, is the fact that Bioware is still showing support to a game that is what, more than 2 years old?

I never thought I would get back to NWN, but HotU was a really good dungeon crawl, and the new random dungeon modules sounds really attractive. And I do miss building AD&D characters!

Binary

Liturgist
Elwro said:
If you don't have to have AD&D - I had great fun building diverse DnD characters in ToEE...

Me too but... then you had to go through that crappy campaign :) On NWN I can play something else.

Psilon said:
NWN isn't AD&D either. It's 3rd Edition D&D.

Sorry you're right of course :) But you know what I meant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
May I kindly inquire what, pray tell, is so butchered about the rules in NWN?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom