Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review DS2 Broken World scores 6/10 at 1UP

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Siege II: Broken Worlds; Gas Powered Games

<a href=http://www.1up.com>1UP</a> has joined GameSpot and <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3152545&did=1>trashed DS2: Broken World</a>, giving it 6/10, finally admitting that despite all the extra stuff, both the expansion and the original game are shite.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>All this begs the question: Taking into account the length, graphics, and massive content of its competition (aka Titan Quest) and the inevitable Diablo III), is it worth 30 bones to expand an aging action-RPG? Broken World does offer everything an expansion should, after all: new game elements, new characters, tons of content, and fan-suggested tweaks. <u>But, somehow, it still isn't all that much fun. The only conclusion to draw from this evidence is that the base game isn't very compelling in and of itself.</u></blockquote>No arguing here.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They're wanting $30 for it?

Also, it's kind of funny they're talking about the massive content of games not yet released when comparing the value.

Spazmo

Erudite
It's funny, but this is exactly what happened with the first Dungeon Siege. Everyone had a big circlejerk over the base game but then trashed the expansion for everything that was wrong with Dungeon Siege in the first place. I guess MS doesn't send out enough gift baskets with the expansions.

Nedrah

Erudite
A buddy of mine was pretty excited about first playing Dungeon Siege 2. He tried to initiate me to it's greatness the first day he played it. Day 2 he was indifferent, day 3 it was already placed to collect dust on the shelf. Given the dedication a lot of the "big" reviewers propably put into actually playing the game this is propably pretty much what happened. Only it has been more than 3 days.

Direwolf

Arcane
Spazmo said:
It's funny, but this is exactly what happened with the first Dungeon Siege. Everyone had a big circlejerk over the base game but then trashed the expansion for everything that was wrong with Dungeon Siege in the first place. I guess MS doesn't send out enough gift baskets with the expansions.

I think that Microsoft gets it wrong every time. They send out gift baskets with original release and think that those baskets will last for the expansions as well. :)
Personally if it was up to me, I would take the gift basket and still give them shit. Too bad that the companies will most likely start ignoring you after you do that several times... :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:

Well, they also do a hell of a lot of interviews, press demos, and other things for the original release which they don't do for the expansions.

I'm rather amazed most reviews miss WHY the game sucks. The real reason is because the character system is so damned stripped down that there's not a hell of a lot of options there for actually fleshing anything interesting from. Everything revolves around the character system in these games. The fun of them relies on advancing, killing, and looting. The killing part they improved in DS2 by making it more like Diablo 2. The character system they margainly improved with the special attacks as well, but not the fundamentals enough to make advancing that much more interesting and certainly not enough to make the loot interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom