Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Teh White Council intarview at CVG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Electronic Arts; Lord of the Rings: The White Council

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> has scored an <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=143077>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.whitecouncil.ea.com/>The White Council</a>'s assistant product manager Tyler Vaught.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What other RPGs would you compare the game to?</b>
<br>
<br>
If I had to compare it to something it'd be Oblivion.</blockquote>Big surprise. Thanks a lot, Bethesda.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Can you give us any details about the plot?</b>
<br>
<br>
I'd rather not give away too much, but what I can tell you is that the basic idea is that you want to become a sufficiently powerful character...</blockquote>What a surprising twist of events.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There's evil in the world that needs to be destroyed and they send you off to do it. </blockquote>You are ful of surprises today, Tyler.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How much say will the player have over their alignment given the rigid storyline structure?</b>
<br>
<br>
You cannot switch sides and become evil.</blockquote>Because that would be just wrong. Right, Tyler?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How will/does the combat system work?</b>
<br>
<br>
Fundementally, what we wanted to do was to take the best of The Two Towers, The Return Of The King and mix it with the tactics from The Third Age. <u>We wanted to make the front-end combat like the first two games where you have to use your button skills and make the back half <b>a tactical RPG system that's based on what armour you have on</b></u> and what skills you've developed. </blockquote>Signature material.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Bluebottle.

Micmu

Magister
Hey, another dumbfucked console action game with swords and magic marketed as an NEXT GEN RPG.

Castanova

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
There's evil in the world that needs to be destroyed and they send you off to do it.
You are ful of surprises today, Tyler.

You cannot switch sides and become evil.
Because that would be just wrong. Right, Tyler?

This game will no doubt be a pile of crap but c'mon. Is it really rational to hope for a LOTR game to break out of the epic-adventure-against-evil mold? Not even Tolkien himself could manage that.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
This game will no doubt be a pile of crap but c'mon. Is it really rational to hope for a LOTR game to break out of the epic-adventure-against-evil mold? Not even Tolkien himself could manage that.

I've only ever read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, so my Middle Earth knowledge is pretty slim. However I thought that one of the characteristics of Men (as a race) was that they were easily corrupted.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Castanova:

Well, there are many ways to make an epic game and going with the "evil that simply must be destroyed" cliche is simply lame. I'm not overly fond of Tolkien, to be honest, but even he didn't use it too often. The [in]famous trilogy is not about defeating evil, but about destroying the ring. That, of course, destroys the evil, but I hope you can see the difference. The characters are constantly tempted to join the Dark Side, and sometimes go far enough. Of course, it's a book, so Tolkien could only do so much with the Dark Side stuff, but I don't see a reason why a game can't take that trip until the end.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
You cannot switch sides and become evil.

Because that would be just wrong. Right, Tyler?

One wonders if these people are even capable of understanding the concept of "various groups with conflicting interests, none of which are clearly delineated as 'good' or 'evil', and the player can decide with whom to side". Bethesda once did (DF), but that was, of course, well before the Rule of Todd.

Mercifully there's still Gothic 3 in the 'big budget and shiny' category, though the Witcher peeps have talked the talk on this (haven't heard much about their 'redefining' progress lately)...

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Here's Tyler Vaught himself (on the right i think).

e3_guys.jpg

Took it from here

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Castanova said:

Not when made by EA no. Another games company might have considered how the whole of Middle Earth lore is about how the best of intentions can get perverted into evil. So much room for moral choices, for shades of grey...

And we get a game which is hacky-slashy, orcz are teh evil.

The Tolkien estate should be ashamed but they're too busy counting their pennies. Makes a mockery of their initial "we want things to be done right" stance.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Twinfalls said:
(haven't heard much about their 'redefining' progress lately)...
They've dropped the phrase. There's hope. And the E3 video I've seen is imo also a good sign for the future.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Although i am a moralist myself, it would be a lot more appealing to the intelligent gamer if rpg developers could generate a world in which you have a lot of moral choices, and one in which there is a lot of moral ambiguity. Unfortunately, the inability to ponder these kinds of issues is one of the hallmarks of a simple mind (e.g. Todd Howard).

Brings to mind a point i read somewhere about how the recent Alexander the Great film didnt succeed in the american market because it lacked the traditional good/evil character delineation and quest/revenge plotlines.

denizsi

Arcane
Here's Tyler Vaught himself (on the right i think).

I can't believe obvious dumbfucks like these are given positions like production management (assistant). Really, where do they find these kind of people? I could pick a random guy on the street and the odds are that he would do things better. I wonder whose dicks they eat to reach such positions.

It more likely failed because it was stupid.

I've watched the 'behind the scenes' documentary for it. It was kind of sad in a funny way seeing Colin Farrel taking himself all too seriously, overacting himself while learning and practicing formation with all the other figurants, yelling out "phalanx!" like a homophobic gay.

Twinfalls

Erudite
That'd be the movie with Colin dumbfuck farrell, Angelina Jolie, and Val Kilmer as a king! I cannot fathom why the public didn't take this
alex17.jpg
type of thing seriously.

As for the LOTR game, 'Assistant Product Manager' means 'assistant to the product manager'. Which sounds like box-stacker or something - but hey, he gets to do some low-level PR as well, bless his gay little soul.

I remember meeting a bloke at a party who bragged that he was '3rd assistant director' on a Joel Silver movie or some shit. I suggested that this would mean he was simply a runner (assistant to the assistant to the assistant to the director) and he grimaced then failed to convince anyone otherwise.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The [in]famous trilogy is not about defeating evil"

This is nonsencial. The netire story was based on defeatinge vil. The evil of Sauron. the evil of the ring. the evil within one's own sould. It was 100% about good vs. evil. It was all about black and white.

Anyways, this interview makes me shudder. Any game trying to be like any ES game is likely doomed to be disliked by me.

Kendar

Novice
We also have professions that have their own quests associated with them, which have their own quests that branch off the central story.
At least it is a better RPG than Oblivion, look at the (rare) good sides.

Vault Dweller said:
@ Castanova:

The characters are constantly tempted to join the Dark Side, and sometimes go far enough. Of course, it's a book, so Tolkien could only do so much with the Dark Side stuff, but I don't see a reason why a game can't take that trip until the end.

Frodo went fully over to the dark side at the end. You had Boromir nearly killing Frodo over the ring.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well since it is (so far) for only PS3 and XBox360 I really won't miss this game. Nor do I care, since it's EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom