Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: A n00b's Review

ad hominem

Scholar
So I was able to score the jewel case version of Fallout 1/2 for $10 bucks at the local megalomart the other day...I'd been into CRPG's for some time but somehow missed this one when it came out. Since most people tend to have multiple orgasms when they talk about it over here I figured I'd give it a shot. Here goes nuttin'.

Initial Impression:

The opening movie was fantastic. It really set the mood like no other that I've ever seen...I love the old 50's housewife take on the post-apocalyptic world, then dropping back to the bombed-out city. Nice touch. After getting through that and the overseer's speech, I was well on my way to realizing....the interface sucks ass. Not just a regular, everyday kind of ass-sucking, but a full-blown, sweaty, hairy ass-sucking. Yeah, visually it fit in with the story (so we're running on tubes again? Nice), but c'mon. I've seen worse, but this one was right up at the top. No sort option? I have to click at least twice and possibly three times to get information about anything? How many more lines of code would they have had to write to put a "take all" button when looting corpses/lockers? How about a slightly larger information pane...you know, where you can actually fit a single bullet point's worth of information without having to scroll down six times? Bah!

At any rate, once I cut my teeth on the interface and left some poor little rats bleeding on the cold, hard cavern floor, I was on my way.

Out in the open:

So this is where I really started to see how much time the developers had spent crafting truly different solutions to each problem that the PC faces. I played as the agile, brainy type this time and tagged speech and science up to about 120% and 90%, respectively, so I tried to take the intelligent, non-violent solution to most things...and it actually worked! After some experimentation it seems that there are basically three different options for solving most every quest, corresponding to the three pre-made characters: a combat option, a stealth option, and a Henry Kissinger option. It's not "solve it however you feel like it", but I guess it's the closest anyone's ever come (outside of Nethack) and I enjoyed that aspect immensely.

I also realized, after going through Vault 15, that this game unfortunately had a bit of a pixel-hunt aspect to it. It doesn't bother me to have some hidden secrets but when every last thing blends into the wall that gets a little old. In addition, why must I spend time going along every bottom wall to see if the cutaway reveals anything? I find this to be unrealistic; if my character is inside the room I should be able to see anything inside the room. This bugged me a bit but certainly wasn't the end of the world.

Civilization at last:

The hub was fun...the idea that bartering would be the main form of financial transaction seemed consistent with the starting over aspect of fallout. Bottle caps were an interesting form of currency, too, located mainly in the most heavily populated center. One nit: why are the bottle caps always at the bottom of the trade lists? There aren't a huge number of merchants in the game and if you're trying to store cash (say, for books) instead of slowly unloading your pack mules time and time again it gets old really fast.

Speaking of pack mules, the travel companions were....interesting. I appreciate the option to load others up for storage, but the interface (again) just didn't make sense. So you have to barter with them like you would anyone else. Fine. I suppose that even though you traveled with them for a while they wouldn't trust you in the current environment. But to get around the free trade option by allowing easy and unlimited stealing? That just seems silly. Either steal like you do from anyone else or just have a free trade system with them. They weren't the brightest about aiming around you, either. In one particular firefight, Tycho hit me twice and Dogmeat once...so I killed him myself, the rat bastard. I did like Dogmeat, though. :)

Combat:

I thought combat was done quite well. I like the penalty for accessing inventory in any way, and I thought on the whole the various weapons and armors were accurate and well-balanced. I quickly learned to take out the mutants with rocket launchers first. The targeting system was brilliant, and I found myself enjoying that part of combat more than anything else. One of my pet peeves with RPGs and games in general is that someone could be one HP away from death and still fight like they're unscathed. To be able to hit the leg and hamper movement, or hit the eyes and hamper sight, or hit the groin and knock them down, that was great. A++ for that implementation.

The Endgame:

Not a whole heck of a lot to say about it, except I wish the rest of the game had the same amount of depth. It's understandable that more lore, information, etc. would open up to you as you advance in the game, but the holodisks, info at the vats computer, Maxwell, etc. gave a lot of the much-needed depth to the story and I thought they could have trickled that in earlier. Maybe hide a disc at Vault 15? Have Killian expound on some topics of interest a bit? Dunno. At any rate, the depth of story was great, and the Master was fantastically executed. I convinced him that he was wrong, but loaded a previous save and killed him just to see the differences, as well. That was just a great concept (although having an old, old CRT monitor embedded in your middle specifically for the purpose of displaying spoken soundwaves seemed silly). The Military Base was well-done as well. I was disappointed with the ending, though: a bunch of still shots of all the places I've visited, then a small confrontation with the Overseer? I felt like there should have been more. Did I miss something?

Overall, Fallout had a fun storyline with very engaging characters. While there weren't a huge number of quests, the options for solving them were greater and more diverse than in any other game I can remember playing. From my memory of the era the graphics seem dated even for '97, but since I'm playing it now that really didn't bother me. The voice acting was good--sparse, but good--and the animations for those voice actors were enjoyable (Harry, in particular). The combat was fun and pretty strategic. My only serious problem was with the damned interface; it seems even more eggregious since it would have taken such a small amount of time (AFAIK) to fix. At any rate, it wasn't the most enjoyable game I've played, but it was definitely one of the best. Kind of in the same way that Dovstoevsky is one of my favorite authors, but I wouldn't call any of his work "fun". Perhaps with subsequent playthroughs with different characters I'll come to like it even more. Maybe not as much as some of you (I never had that "new and shiny!" experience with it), but it was a great game nonetheless.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Most of your complaints are really about how old the game is. We're talking about a 1997 CRPG here, so naturally a lot of the refinements that have come along in terms of interfaces isn't going to be in there. The interface for it's time was fantastic and very small. Hell, just look at how much of the screen Baldur's Gate's interface takes up and it came out after Fallout 2.

ad hominem

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Most of your complaints are really about how old the game is. We're talking about a 1997 CRPG here, so naturally a lot of the refinements that have come along in terms of interfaces isn't going to be in there. The interface for it's time was fantastic and very small. Hell, just look at how much of the screen Baldur's Gate's interface takes up and it came out after Fallout 2.

All interfaces were necessarily large back then, simply because most people were running at 640x480....800x600 was the holy grail of resolutions. But I never mentioned the size (except for the information pane being too small), it was more things like the interactions with objects, people, etc. and the method of gleaning information from the objects just seemed illogical. Everything else about the game fit into the world so well. (Since you used the example of BG, all you had to do was right-click on anything to bring up the information window.)

As for other, larger interfaces, they usually had a cutaway option, like in BG. I like using hotkeys so I never played with the sides up unless I needed to know how much health someone had.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Answering your question - if you let Overseer live, then I guess we could say that you missed something when it comes to endgame.

bryce777

Erudite
Suck it up, princess! Your complaints are all pretty lame.

Now, there are some genuine complaints you could make towards fallout, but a slightly awkward interface is hardly a blip on the radar.

As for thinking the graphics suck, you need to put down the crackpipe because they fucking rock, lack of thermal bloom and all. For that matter oblivion's fucking suck.

Zomg

Arbiter
The follower system in FO1 is less than worthless. The whole system was apparently hacked in over a weekend, and it shows. FO is meant to be played without any followers.

Dogmeat is a semi-exception, since he doesn't have the inventory stupidity of the humans, and he obviously doesn't need to speak.

ad hominem

Scholar
Elwro said:
Answering your question - if you let Overseer live, then I guess we could say that you missed something when it comes to endgame.

Did he not die? I got the same Cathedral Explosion video when I tried it both ways (killing him and talking him out of it)...it wasn't the last thing I did b/c I hadn't done the Military Base yet, but I just kind of assumed. Gonna have to play it again... :)

bryce777 said:
As for thinking the graphics suck, you need to put down the crackpipe because they fucking rock, lack of thermal bloom and all. For that matter oblivion's fucking suck.

Where did I say that the graphics sucked?

ad hominem

Scholar
roguefrog said:
Not The Master. The Overseer of Vault 13!

oops. teh stupid. yeah, I tried to kill him for being a pretentious bastard but the game had locked the interface...I guess you have to choose Bloodlust or something. Next time....

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Zomg said:
The follower system in FO1 is less than worthless. The whole system was apparently hacked in over a weekend, and it shows. FO is meant to be played without any followers.

Dogmeat is a semi-exception, since he doesn't have the inventory stupidity of the humans, and he obviously doesn't need to speak.

That's not entirely true. The game just isn't intended to be beaten with Followers. You either have to leave them behind at some point or watch them all die. Why? Because Leon is one twisted, sick fucker.

bryce777

Erudite
Well, I had that feeling the first time I played the game, but I disagree after a few runthroughs.

They are not the greatest, but I went through the whole game without losing any of them and until I got to level 6 or so Ian was actually far more useful than I was.

The key is to lure fire away and then absorb most of the damage yourself.

When even marginal effort I could even have kept dogmeat alive through the military base, which I cleared without raising the alarm with ease (and I had to because xp sucks and lowering the shields only brought them down for a millisecond).

Oh, and as for the endgame, I thought it was great. What did you expect, some lame cutscene? It actually tells you your effects on the world instead of giving you a generic "good job!"

galsiah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
You either have to leave them behind at some point or watch them all die. Why? Because Leon is one twisted, sick fucker.
Do you? I don't remember that. I was save-reloading a fair bit I guess, but then so would you have been if you'd taken a trip to a military base cell at level 5.

Do you mean that they're just too weak to survive, so eventually they're bound to end up dead, or are you refering to some specific point (in which case you've lost me)?

burrie

Scholar
ad hominem said:
oops. teh stupid. yeah, I tried to kill him for being a pretentious bastard but the game had locked the interface...I guess you have to choose Bloodlust or something. Next time....
If I recall correctly, it IS possible to go into combat mode with the press of a button once he starts walking away, but you have to hit it pretty quickly.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
galsiah said:
Do you? I don't remember that. I was save-reloading a fair bit I guess, but then so would you have been if you'd taken a trip to a military base cell at level 5.

Do you mean that they're just too weak to survive, so eventually they're bound to end up dead, or are you refering to some specific point (in which case you've lost me)?

Ian and the others won't survive most attacks from supermutants. A minigun wielding mutant will generally wipe Ian out on the first two shots even if he's not the main focus of the attack.

galsiah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Ian and the others won't survive most attacks from supermutants. A minigun wielding mutant will generally wipe Ian out on the first two shots even if he's not the main focus of the attack.
Sure. I just got captured and taken to the military base early on, so I had no armour, and only Ian's spare gun. Ian dying was the least of my worries. Of course once I had power armour, it was a different story. But by then I'd taken out the military base already (after many horrible deaths and re-loads, naturally).
I guess Ian should still have died later, but after the amount of save-reloads I needed to get out of the base alive, a few more didn't seem a big deal.

Seboss

Liturgist
ad hominem said:
I also realized, after going through Vault 15, that this game unfortunately had a bit of a pixel-hunt aspect to it. It doesn't bother me to have some hidden secrets but when every last thing blends into the wall that gets a little old. In addition, why must I spend time going along every bottom wall to see if the cutaway reveals anything? I find this to be unrealistic; if my character is inside the room I should be able to see anything inside the room. This bugged me a bit but certainly wasn't the end of the world.
That's exactly what a high Perception skill is made for. IIRC, the console gives you hints when you walk by hidden things with a perceptive character.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
All my followers survived when I played through, although Dogmeat's constant running into force-fields made it tricky.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ad hominem said:
But I never mentioned the size (except for the information pane being too small), it was more things like the interactions with objects, people, etc. and the method of gleaning information from the objects just seemed illogical. Everything else about the game fit into the world so well. (Since you used the example of BG, all you had to do was right-click on anything to bring up the information window.)

That may seem obvious now, but at the time the interface felt perfectly functional.

This isn't about size. Take the interface of Dune2 and compare it to any modern RTS. In that context, Dune 2 it's pure rubbish and makes no sense, but at the time it felt just perfect.

Higher Game

Arcane
I can imagine people complaining about Wasteland's interface, but FALLOUT?! :shock: Fallout was so easy to use even compared to stuff like Baldur's Gate!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom