Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian is hiring again = RPG overload

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/>Obsidian Entertainment</a>, the last bastion of RPGs, is <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/>hiring again</a> to increase the RPG output by 110%. Let's take a look at what skills and qualifications the best and the brightest must bring to the table:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Applicants must be passionate gamers with the drive to make the best games possible.
<br>
... a console role-playing game.</blockquote>Doesn't compute.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Exceptional creativity.
<br>
... a console role-playing game.</blockquote>What a waste of "exceptional creativity"
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Design experience on at least two titles, preferably at least one RPG, FPS, or other action title</blockquote>Signature material
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Obsidian Entertainment is growing, and we are searching for an experienced and talented lead designer to lead design for a brand new third-person action RPG.</blockquote>Code-named "Slam Dunk"
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Drakron

Arcane
If they are the last bastion then we are in the verge of being overrun.

Kendar

Novice
Last bastion, huh ? Then it looks like they won't last 6 more months before surrendering.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Are you kidding me? With 5 new action RPGs in development? Feargus has finally struck gold!

obediah

Erudite
If it'll even out the statistics, I'll pledge to release a non-action crpg by 2035. I'll release a new F.A.Q. every 12 months so when I do release it VD can write a nasty review about the 29 years of hype.

I don't have 15 PhDs and my biceps aren't like 76", so don't expect too much.

F.A.Q. 1

Q. How much will your game cost?

A. It will be free, and I'll release the source as well.

Q. Why would I want to play your game?

A. Desperation? Trust me, you really don't want to play it.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Design experience on at least two titles, preferably at least one RPG, FPS, or other action title

The keyword here is blackwhite... Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
RPG is ACTION
TURNBASED is BORING
SLAM DUNK is TEH WIN

feargusurquhartcopy8it.jpg

Keldryn

Arcane
Ah yes, RPG Codex, home of the unbiased and impartial news reports.

Isn't this site's beloved Gothic a "3rd person action RPG?"

Vault Dweller

Developer
Is it a console game? Also, how many "action RPGs" can you name that have the depth of the Gothic series?

obediah

Erudite
Keldryn said:

Huh? I like tiramisu better than cheese cake, does that mean I can't get enjoy a good cheesecake?
I can even complain that it's impossible to find tiramisu around here, and eat and enjoy some cheesecake in the same sitting. Oh noes, the complexity.

Also a good portion of the boner-popping that goes on here is about freedom, consequences, and story all of which are theoretically independent of the combat system.

Spazmo

Erudite
No, guys, you'll see! Obsidian really is the successor to the great RPG legacy of Black Isle. Of course, that's the IWD/BGDA part of the BIS legacy, but still!

Jora

Arcane
obediah said:
Also a good portion of the boner-popping that goes on here is about freedom, consequences, and story all of which are theoretically independent of the combat system.
The action part in ARPG means large amount of combat and lack of choices, not the combat system.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The action part in ARPG means large amount of combat and lack of choices, not the combat system."

Bullshit. JE is more RPGish than most full RPGs... more so most of bio's earlier RPGs like BG.

Heck, Troika's BL is an 'action rpg', and it has way more and way better role-playing than their earlier work than TOEE.

What's funny is I hate BL's combat, and like TOEE's (for the most part); but I actually like BL.

Go figure.

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
Bullshit. JE is more RPGish than most full RPGs... more so most of bio's earlier RPGs like BG.
In what way? Are there useful non-combat skills like persuasion? Or just peaceful options? The Baldur's Gate games are basically ARPGs with a lot of dialogue that rarely affects anything. There are usually no great benefits for choosing non-combat solutions and most of the games is spent in dungeons fighting goblins or in wilderness fighting wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if JE was less of an ARPG than the earlier Bioware products.

Heck, Troika's BL is an 'action rpg', and it has way more and way better role-playing than their earlier work than TOEE.
Yes but the lack of choices and the action-based nature of the game becomes appalingly clear at the end of the game. TToEE is an action game too.

What's funny is I hate BL's combat, and like TOEE's (for the most part); but I actually like BL.
I like both but I've replayed BL much more.

Kendar

Novice
Jora said:
In what way? Are there useful non-combat skills like persuasion? Or just peaceful options?
No, having hight enough skills was crucial to go through the non-violent options. One single example : there was that serial killer you had to kill.
Talking to her was rather hard, since you needed 55 in one of the persuasion skill, and 60 or 65 in the two others. Hard, but you could hear her story and eventually understand why she became a serial killer, then kill the one responsible for her fall, and at last kill her when she asks you.
If you hadn't had a hight enough persuasion, you would just have killed her at the temple and never learned anything about her.

Not that these options were extremely more rewarding (they often were less), but the combat is so painful that I was personaly glad to skip it. Bioware sure know how to make you try to discuss with the NPCs. Not the most popular way though, I guess.
The beautiful part is that you can use the transformation to make the whole so easy that even the final boss is crushed like a fly.

obediah

Erudite
Jora said:
obediah said:
The action part in ARPG means large amount of combat and lack of choices, not the combat system.

Oh great, another *RPG naming convention some dickwad pulled out of his ass.

Crusade somewhere else, an action rpg is an rpg where the action is FPS'ey or whack-a-mole clickey. It can be on rails (Diablo) or offer a lot of choices (Deus Ex). You generally see a lot of combat in an action rpg, but you generally see a lot of combat in most rpgs.

EDIT: Your particular definition of action rpg jives pretty well with dungeon crawl and hack'n'slash. Why not just use one of those two rather than trying redefine another term?

If you'd rather read it in math

Deus Ex = action rpg
Deus Ex provides choices.
Your definition is dumb.
QED

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think we found kingcomrade's illegitimate father...

They really need to hire an editor for their demo's

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In what way? Are there useful non-combat skills like persuasion? Or just peaceful options? The Baldur's Gate games are basically ARPGs with a lot of dialogue that rarely affects anything. There are usually no great benefits for choosing non-combat solutions and most of the games is spent in dungeons fighting goblins or in wilderness fighting wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if JE was less of an ARPG than the earlier Bioware products."

JE has 3 dialogue skillz. Many quests (not all) have peaceful means to complete them.The above exmaple by the other fool above is good though he's dumb in syaing JE's combat sucks. That's just dumb talk.

In what way? Are there useful non-combat skills like persuasion? Or just peaceful options? The Baldur's Gate games are basically ARPGs with a lot of dialogue that rarely affects anything. There are usually no great benefits for choosing non-combat solutions and most of the games is spent in dungeons fighting goblins or in wilderness fighting wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if JE was less of an ARPG than the earlier Bioware products.

"Yes but the lack of choices and the action-based nature of the game becomes appalingly clear at the end of the game."

Irrelevant. It's still a rpg with action combat (though skills do matter to a point in combat). And, there are still choices at the end of the game, dumbasses.

suibhne

Erudite
baby arm said:
This argument is stupid so here's another Feargus picture (courtesy of MCA).

fergmakeup4ba.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but she looks potentially hot.

Seven

Erudite
obediah said:
Keldryn said:

Huh? I like tiramisu better than cheese cake, does that mean I can't get enjoy a good cheesecake?
I can even complain that it's impossible to find tiramisu around here, and eat and enjoy some cheesecake in the same sitting. Oh noes, the complexity.

Nice analogy, except it goes down the shitter when the guy supplying you with the tiramisu is really giving you cheese cake and calling it tiramisu. Just a thought.

EDIT: ACK.. I can't read, for some reason I thought the comment was about Obsidian making console RPGs and calling them good'ole RPGs; don't ask me where I got that from.

Jora

Arcane
obediah said:
Oh great, another *RPG naming convention some dickwad pulled out of his ass.

Crusade somewhere else, an action rpg is an rpg where the action is FPS'ey or whack-a-mole clickey. It can be on rails (Diablo) or offer a lot of choices (Deus Ex). You generally see a lot of combat in an action rpg, but you generally see a lot of combat in most rpgs.
So when you're defending your definition, you're not crusading? Anyway, I see an action RPG as a game where there's great emphasizes on combat and role-playing options are often limited to good vs. evil or thieves guild vs. mages guild. If I can play a stealthy diplomat character in a game that has fast-paced real-time combat, why call it an action game? Wouldn't it be better to say that a game is an ARPG when I can't play such a character ?

EDIT: Your particular definition of action rpg jives pretty well with dungeon crawl and hack'n'slash. Why not just use one of those two rather than trying redefine another term?
I'm just trying to have a more sensible use for the term.

Volourn said:
JE has 3 dialogue skillz. Many quests (not all) have peaceful means to complete them
If Jade has plenty of good choices, I wouldn't call it an action RPG. Kendar's example had a lot of killing, though.

Irrelevant. It's still a rpg with action combat (though skills do matter to a point in combat). And, there are still choices at the end of the game, dumbasses
A game with action combat doesn't mean that a game is an action game (which BL mostly is, unfortunately). And the choices in the end don't require dialogue skills. And doesn't either of the vampire bosses die no matter what?

Kendar

Novice
Jora said:
If Jade has plenty of good choices, I wouldn't call it an action RPG. Kendar's example had a lot of killing, though.
Yes, that wasn(t a good example. There are definitely a significant numer of quests you can finish without fighting, but you also often rather choose who you kill (with a menu to gain good or evil points ; I guess it is called "motivation", but until now, it has never mattered, except to gain a useless fighting style).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom