Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Only Tim Cain can make Fallout 3 .

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
So stop whining about these devs from hell.

Pray that they never do it because they will never do it right.

Pray that they get bankrupt and that the fallout license is sold for little money to Troika or to a publisher that will give a licence to Tim Cain to do Fallout the right way.

Because there is only one person in the whole wide world that can make

Fallout 3 .

And that person is Tim Cain.

AMEN

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

I still have a little faith left in BIS, most of them are big Fallout Fans and wouldn't half-ass on it. My big concern includes Feargus and how he thinks Fallout should be, which will probably influence the project.

I would love to see Tim Cain make it, but the chances are very slim.

Psilon

Erudite
Makaar said:
How do YOU think Sierra would market Fallout 3?
From the people that published the online megahits Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life: GOTYE, Half-Life Platinum Edition, Half-Life: Have Half-Life Life Light Edition, and Counter-Strike comes the ultimate post-apocalyptic game: FALLOUT 3!
  • 18 character skills allow 816 possible character classes!
  • Realistic modeling of post-nuclear weaponry.
  • Online multiplayer with team-based "Mutants vs. Brotherhood of Steel" action.
  • Stunning 3D graphics with featureless desert terrain.
  • Revolutionary single-click interface introduced in King's Quest VII: The Disney Infringement lets even the freshly deceased navigate the game.

I'm not sure which publisher should be trusted with Fallout. Interplay? Obviously not. EA? No, they'll just make it The Sims: Fallout with eight different types of mutant thong and a purchasable Mr. Handy. Sierra? They don't do much anymore. Infogrames isn't my favorite, but MOO3 seems to demonstrate that they'll let projects take plenty of time. Unfortunately, they've got the D&D license and so probably won't care about Fallout. LucasArts? Won't happen. Maybe Activision?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Makaar said:
How do YOU think Sierra would market Fallout 3?

Troika isn't a part of Sierra, that was a one-time deal with Arcanum, as far as I know.

Anyway, I'd like to see Tim Cain do Fallout 3 as much as the next guy, but we all know that won't happen so I'll settle for giving J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone (I think he's learned from the mistakes he did in FO2) free hands, without Fergie and the suits interfering in the process. Of course, that won't happen either..

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
chrisbeddoes said:
Because there is only one person in the whole wide world that can make

Fallout 3 .

And that person is Tim Cain.

AMEN

Amen to that, brother. For it is said that there is no CRPG god but Troika and Tim Cain is its prophet.

I shall pray for punishment of non-believers (people who fail to see what's wrong with FO:BoS) and infidels (people who whore out the sacred Fallout license).

AMEN

Edit:
Azael said:
Anyway, I'd like to see Tim Cain do Fallout 3 as much as the next guy, but we all know that won't happen

If Tim can't do Fallout 3, may be he can do FAILSAFE: A POST ATOMIC CRPG. (Credit goes to Saint_Proverbius)

Araanor

Liturgist
Troika isn't likely to get their hands on the license when Interplay goes down, it will just go along whoever picks up the remains. Packaged with Black Isle.

I think they can do it justice. Just a shame about that real-time thing.

Anyone want to place any bets on the Great Devourer of game development houses?

1996: Ocean Software, United Kingdom (Publishing)
1997: Philips Media, Netherlands (Distribution)
1998: ABS Multimedia, Portugal (Distribution)
1998: Arcadia, Spain (Distribution)
1998: Gremlin, United Kingdom (Development and Publishing)
1998: Game City, Switzerland (Distribution)
1998: Psygnosis, France (Development)
1999: Accolade, United States (Development and Publishing)
1999: Beam Software, Autsralia (Development)
1999: Ozisoft, Australia (Distribution)
1999: GT Interactive, United States (Development/Publishing/Distribution)
1999: Den-O-Tech, Canada (Development)
2000: Hasbro Interactive, United States (Publishing)
2000: Paradigm Entertainment, United States (Development)
2002: Shiny Entertainment, United States (Development)
2002: Eden Studios, France (Development)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Are you talking about dev houses that were wiped out because of publisher acquisitions?

If so, you forgot Origin, Bullfrog, and Westwood, which were wiped out by EA. Also, Dynamix was wiped out by Sierra.

Araanor

Liturgist
That'd make a very big list. :)

No, that was Infogrames-specific acquisitions (right off their site). The Hasbro-part includes Microprose and whatever they in turn may have engulfed (SimTex).

Araanor

Liturgist
If I recall correctly, I can't find any link to confirm it, before Sony completely absorbed Psygnosis they sold off a piece to Infogrames. A development house in France, it would appear.

Jed

Cipher
Araanor said:
No, that was Infogrames-specific acquisitions (right off their site). The Hasbro-part includes Microprose and whatever they in turn may have engulfed (SimTex).
Are you saying Infogrames owns part of Hasbro? If so, that would explain the D&D license, since Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast....

J

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, Infogrames owns Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast. That also explains why Infogrames can make D&D Heroes, which I doubt any other developer would be allowed to make at this point.

Darkwaters

Novice
Re: hey

POOPERSCOOPER said:
I still have a little faith left in BIS, most of them are big Fallout Fans and wouldn't half-ass on it. My big concern includes Feargus and how he thinks Fallout should be, which will probably influence the project.

I would love to see Tim Cain make it, but the chances are very slim.

Yes, but Feargus is at Obsidian while Tim Cain is at Troika...different companies entirely.

I would love to see Troika get the license, but Obsidian would be perfectly fine as well...I mean, they have Chris Avellone and lots of other brilliant former BIS guys. Plus, a lot of people were concerned with Troika getting the license b/c of their history of buggy games...but my vote was always for Troika b/c anyways...

Chaos_One

Novice
Wish in one hand and crap in the other see which one gets full first.

All the wishing and the hoping in the world won't change the hard cold fact that Bethesda has the Fallout license and you people have two options and that is continue to biitch and moan about it or move on and make best of the situation. Bethesda have been around for 18 or so years and have actually published and developed other games than just The Elderscrolls Series. Unlike Ineptplay Bethesda has successfully adapted to the market and going strong.

If you can't deal with a strong company that is doing well for itself taking Fallout, then go play Ineptplay's recent batch of games.

Raymondo

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I thought Sony was the one that wiped out Psygnosis.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/company.php?id=314

In late 1998, Eidos Interactive bought Psygnosis’ European operations. Psygnosis’ US operations were folded into Sony's own development outfit, 989 Studios. Finally, in 2000 Psygnosis (as a Sony brand) has abandoned the PC game market for good.

HOTU never lies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom