Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Armor & Damage Rating System for a CPRG

denizsi

Arcane
I've been working on this system to put more emphasis on the individual qualities of armor and weapon pieces ( not for any game, just personal use for some stuff ), by giving every type of armor and weapon piece a series of values to represent different aspects of each piece.

Note that this is also aimed towards a system with critical damages, like crippling, dismemberment, bleeding to death etc. instead of the traditional Hit Points based health. Another aim is to provide more usage with various skills, and a bit of realism. I want to hear what others think, except for saying it's overly complex and a much more simpler system with like only a "condition" and a "rating" would do it ;) Also I must admit that I'm taking a fairly bit of realism over gameplay and balance here, so I expect you to consider that while giving your opinions ( even though I can't see any reason how it can not be balanced ).

Every armor and weapon has the following stats:

Material: Bronze, Iron, Steel, <made up fictional materials> etc.

Purity: Purity of the material, like high density Iron. I think I can give the example of iron shortage and bad iron in Baldur's Gate, for a comparison

Craftsmanship: Quality of construction and forgery, as it's a very prominent thing in real life, which affects the items dramatically.

Condition: "Worn-out"ness, pretty much self-explanatory, right?

Weight: I imagine that the weight could be an auto-calculated value based on the above stats, but for inventory management purposes, I think it's necessary to keep it in. Besides, other parts of armors & weapons could cause weight as well ( though unlikely ), so I believe that the option to change it manually would be useful anyway.

Additionally, one more stat exclusively for Armors ( and a similar thing for all clothing too );

Equippability (Something like that ) : No more "wear anything you find". You'll have to adjust the pieces to your body, using the appropriate skill. If you can't, you'll need to take it to a blacksmith or someone similar to have it made to fit you. So
wearing and "unadjusted" equipment would bring its penalties.

However, I'm not sure about how to define this. Originally I thought something like giving it 3 values ( 0 = unfit, 1 = fit, 2 = un-adjustable ( amor of a child? of a giant? etc. ) ). But then I started to think about making it something like 0 = unfit, (1 to 10) = level of adjustment, -1 = non-wearable, so the player skill would play a bigger role, by progressing in that skill, making the armor firmer for your body. What do you think?

Value: There wouldn't be a predefined fixed value to any equipment. All characters, including the player, will judge the item based on the related skill. So it's possible to have a character who couldn't tell the difference accurately between two pieces of same type of equipment. Player could see a close but inaccurate description on the item, like "good quality, average, etc.". Player could take the item to a smith/etc., but that NPC will judge the item based on his/her own skills too.

The description the player sees on the item changes only if a more accurate description is made by another NPC, or player itself later when he's better at that skill. Likewise, the price of the item will vary for every NPC, based on those things ( item's stats, NPC's skill, AND of course a "merchantile" type of skill, so NPCs can pull scams on the price they see fit ).

Additionally, even more complexity could be added to pricing system, so some of the so-obviously-very-good-quality items wouldn't be ridiculously under-priced, or some poor quality stuff could be expensive only because they are antique or relics etc. Opinions welcome.

Now, some more details on all of them again. I came up with material / purity / craftsmanship for some purposes. One of them is giving a deeper range of possibilities to "craftsman" characters, making a blacksmith kind of profession something worth the effort, as well as giving a motive to find higher quality minerals / materials for forging weapons & armors.

Another one, and the major point for me, is to have them work as one of the primary modifiers in combat. So, in combat, it's your stuff vs. theirs, secondary to player skills. If your character is a capable fighter, then these stats come into play, causing weapons to break, or amors to get ripped ( depends on armor, of course. I know, it's not an everyday incident where plate mail armors get ripped through, but think more about weapon vs. weapon, and that heavy, especially plate armors aren't that cheap and widely used ).

The reason for the three primary stats ( material / purity / craftsmanship ) is a bit of variety, and that unnecessary bit of realism. The point is, a very high quality, wel built iron could break or cut a poorly made steel, or to be more vague; a very high quality item made out of lesser material could overcome a poorly made greater material, and once the one of them overcomes the other, all that matters is the blow itself.

Sure, simply just one stat could abstract all of that nicely, but some of the points I mentioned exceed the limits of such an abstraction ( skill-based pricing, pricing based on a specific stat of the item, like "oh, what fine piece of art this sword is!", "ooh, what a solid weapon!" etc., ability to have generic reactions from NPCs which produce enough variety of reactions to mimic a non-generic world).

I also thought about having a few degrees of a hit. Even if weapon X cuts through armor Y or breaks through weapon Y towards the opponents throat, how much or how efficiently it cuts varies. It could turn out to be total dismembering blow, a cutting bleeding blow or just a shocking one. So, the nature, the effects of the blow are all calculated by character & item stats.

More or less the same with the armors as well. An armor skill can not have an affect on the aforementioned stats, but since an armor skill also means knowing the weak sides and exploits of the armor better and being able to move and fight better, wearing higher quality probably won't bring a great deal of change to a weak character against stronger opponents. No more "I have uber shit now I can go back and teach them a lesson!". So, like I said, while I believe these stats add a lot in terms of realism and a nitpicking level of depth -probably overly and unnecesarilly complexy to some of you -, it's secondary to character skills.

With all these stats, I also came up with the idea of being able to judge a piece of equipment correctly, like I briefly explained above. Higher the weapon or craftsman skill, more accurately the player judges a piece, unless the player takes the piece to a smith, who may not be the expert as well and just misinform player. The price of the piece would also vary from one NPC to another, as some NPCs could know better to recognize a piece's quality and price it accordingly as oposed to other NPCs. I imagine that while this would put more emphasis on qualities of equipment, it would also put less emphasis, or at least less "motive" to "looting". The major reasons for this are that even if a weak character finds a uber-quality weapon, (s)he more than likely won't be able to take advantage of it, because "better weapon != higher damage".

There it is. Just a part of system on damage/defense ratings, regarding the equipment. Ideas and insults are welcome. And for some of the ESF immigrants; no, this is not related to Oblivion.

edit: I forgot to mention some specifications about weapons, which aren't a big or new thing, but I'll mention them briefly anyway;

Well of course weapons have their own modifiers based on what type of weapon they are, like crushing, thrusting, cutting, slashing, etc. in addition to the stats mentioned above, but they are more like minor modifiers. I've made up varying conditions regarding bluınt vs. sharp, crushing vs. cutting etc. when parrying / blocking or when receiving these hits on armor / shield / flesh, but there's not much place for them here. So I haven't gone into them like the other aspects I explained here.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This type of item creation isn't all that different from Diablo's style, you just have a greater number of modifier slots. Instead of <Godly> <Plate> <of the Whale> you would be generating a <Masterwork> <<Tempered> <Pure> Steel> <Plate>.

I don't really like the idea tailoring each set of armor to each individual character, that could get tedious really fast, and would be more of an aggravation than a rewarding game mechanic.

I have a question about the price mechanic. When you are trading, whose "worth" value gets used? After all, you can't really have a thing worth two values when you are trying to sell it. If I think this sword is worth 10 GP, and the blacksmith thinks it is worth 20, what I think it is worth is pretty irrelevant (unless this is simply a gauge for whether you might want to save it for another blacksmith). That would be the same with buying, because if you think a sword is worth less, the blacksmith just plain isn't going to sell it to you.

You might do a similar thing with weapons. In the mostly-ignored Fallout Brainstorm thread I posted a while back, I set out a rudimentary weapon system which was based on a similar concept of having everything affect a series of variables, rather than just a set of pre-made items. The examples I gave in the thread weren't very good, but I'll repeat the concept here. (I realize guns don't have much a place in fantasy, but it might inspire somebody).

The idea was that the major differences between weapons is not a linear damage scale (gun 1 does 1-2, gun 2 does 2-3, gun 3 does 3-4, etc.) but rather a series of different variables: Ammo capacity, ammunition, length (giving accuracy bonuses), speed of reload (pump action shotguns and revolvers take longer to reload than, say, assault rifles or semi-automatic pistols), rate of fire (semi-auto, full auto/burst, whatever), and I was intending to have a "reliability" score which would affect critical failures, accuracy penalties over time, or weapon breakage, which might be relevant to your crafting system.

Ammunition too would have it's own qualities, basically following the Fallout model of damage multiplication and armor penetration. The only difference would be that base-damage would be dependant upon the caliber of the bullet (so you get things like hollow point 223 versus FMJ .223. The .223 retains the same base damage but is affected by the type of bullet).

Like I said, not entirely useful in a fantasy setting, but you might appreciate a similar kind of thought and it might give you some ideas for a weapon system of some sort (I'm assuming that if you are making an armor system, you are making some sort of system that acts upon the armor).

rampage

Novice
denizsi said:
Condition: "Worn-out"ness, pretty much self-explanatory, right?
Not really. Some parts of a weapon or an armor are easier to repair than others. Some can't be repaired. And must be substituted. You can divide the weapon or armor in parts and handle them separately.
Equippability (Something like that ) : No more "wear anything you find". You'll have to adjust the pieces to your body, using the appropriate skill. If you can't, you'll need to take it to a blacksmith or someone similar to have it made to fit you. So
wearing and "unadjusted" equipment would bring its penalties.
How about having size and size range bands? ie, size 180cm human standard complexion, size range band 1 +/-10 cm comprexion normal, band 2 +/220cm Where in band 1 you could wear it without penatlites, band 2 has penalties, band 3 requires adaptation in smith, band 4 in impossible to use. Besides height, as stated, you could have a more compressed complexion range measured in "human averages".

break, or amors to get ripped ( depends on armor, of course. I know, it's not an everyday incident where plate mail armors get ripped through, but think more about weapon vs. weapon, and that heavy, especially plate armors aren't that cheap and widely used ).

I long for a game where chainmail actually penalizes agility/dexterity more than plate :?, with plate worn over a layer and making you the tank you should be.
There it is. Just a part of system on damage/defense ratings, regarding the equipment. Ideas and insults are welcome. And for some of the ESF immigrants; no, this is not related to Oblivion.
HOW ABOUT THAT.
imagine that while this would put more emphasis on qualities of equipment, it would also put less emphasis, or at least less "motive" to "looting". The major reasons for this are that even if a weak character finds a uber-quality weapon, (s)he more than likely won't be able to take advantage of it, because "better weapon != higher damage".
I disagree. This would actually result in good appropriate weapons for you being harder to find. Lowering supply results in higher prices which means more gold for those who hoard the weapnz! PWD!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I know, it's not an everyday incident where plate mail armors get ripped through
I forgot to mention this, you are very right here. Plate mail was nigh-invulnerable. Even back in Greek times, to kill a guy you had to get through his armor which was pretty touch (bronze is stronger than pig iron, though not stronger than steel). That's easier when you're charging with a spear, but with a good set of pauldrons and a helmet, horsemen couldn't really touch you because they had to attack from above.

That's why weapons like maces became more common. Swords are useless against plate, you simply can't cut metal with a flimsy piece of metal. Spears work better because of your mechanical advantage and the fact that you are just trying to puncture, but it was still not a common thing.

rampage

Novice
Also, for wounds, if you want to put extra effort into it, shy away from made up probability tables. You know where the internal organs are, you know how thick the major bones are, you know where the main vein and arteries are, and you can calculate the effect of a strike depending on its force, angle and weapon.

Good thing is good things happen :) If you are hit in the back of the head, you can calculate what is going to happen according to where, how and how strong you were hit wihout having to throw in some phony "50% blackout".

Bad thing is you are going to die very very very easily. Oops. There goes the carotid. Ooops. Was that the femoral? Ew, I must have punctured through your chest to your lung. And suddenly daggers become mortal weapons.

rampage

Novice
kingcomrade said:
That's why weapons like maces became more common. Swords are useless against plate, you simply can't cut metal with a flimsy piece of metal. Spears work better because of your mechanical advantage and the fact that you are just trying to puncture, but it was still not a common thing.

And crossbows vs bows is an interesting thing to look at too. Crossbows were so feared that at some points in history you could end up being excommunicated just by shooting.

Thrawn05

Scholar
rampage said:
kingcomrade said:

And crossbows vs bows is an interesting thing to look at too. Crossbows were so feared that at some points in history you could end up being excommunicated just by shooting.

Crossbows allowed the average joe become a marksman. A skilled archer took years to produce, so any archer losses were a big deal.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
rampage said:
kingcomrade said:

Well, actually, longbows were capable of puncturing plate mail, it's just crossbows could do it at longer ranges, and was easier to use. That's the real reason the crossbow became so popular, because they were easy to use, and you could train your peasant levées to use them over a couple days, where bows that were capable of doing any damage took a lot of strength and a lot of training to use properly. This is the same reason muskets became so common, they could do a lot of damage, were about as accurate as a crossbow (maybe a little less or more, I can't say), but they were easy to use.

rampage

Novice
Thrawn05 said:
Crossbows allowed the average joe become a marksman. A skilled archer took years to produce, so any archer losses were a big deal.
They are also more useful than bows when punishing game producers, if there's no pineapple at hand.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I thought longbows still had longer range and greater strenght, you just needed to practice like crazy and deform your arm (the skeletons of Welsh archers show serious skeletal differences between their two arms).

I remember hearing that the original Chainmail used some complicated table with armor and stuff and one of the biggest innovations of D&D was the HP system. I've tried finding the Chainmail system on the internet, but it seems like the only way to find out is to pay a bunch of money for an extinct wargame nobody* cares about anymore except for its historical importance.

*I'm defining "nobody" to include anyone that still plays Chainmail.

Thrawn05

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Crossbows allowed the average joe become a marksman.
Ah, not really, crossbows weren't all that accurate, they were meant to be fired in volleys.

Archers for the most part we used in volleys as well (not in ALL cases of course), but you can teach the village idiot to pull a crossbow trigger. The reason for crossbow popularity is the quanity, not the quality. You'd rather lose somthing as replaceable as a crossbowman, not an archer.

Human Shield

Augur
Wasn't field plate better in every way from chainmail: cheaper to make, better defense and movement?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've fired a crossbow and compared to a flatbow (haven't tried a longbow) it is about 3 million times easier. Although I don't see how x-bows are cheaper to make than flatbows or longbows... I'd imagine it's the other way around.

denizsi

Arcane
This type of item creation isn't all that different from Diablo's style, you just have a greater number of modifier slots. Instead of <Godly> <Plate> <of the Whale> you would be generating a <Masterwork> <<Tempered> <Pure> Steel> <Plate>.

Afterall, if you are ever going to feature a craftsman system with variety, it all means a mechanic through a number of modifiers. And at that point, anything will be similar to Diablo's. The main difference is that the whole process is maintained through a skill, so you really don't just take stuff and put them into slots.

Additional aspects to this could be introduced as well, like mining manually. Since the focus of my post is the weapon and armor ratings, I didn't see it necessary to mention hunting materials from traders, etc.

I don't really like the idea tailoring each set of armor to each individual character, that could get tedious really fast, and would be more of an aggravation than a rewarding game mechanic.
And I don't really like the idea being able to wear anything you find. Yes, it might get tedious, and fast, but I don't care about that. If you want to be able to wear any piece of equipment you find, that's fine (unless it's not completely unwearable), but you'll get the penalties. Like I said, I'm taking some of the things over gameplay, although I must admit that I say that in a common context, in which I think people are too used to the games where that shit happens without any consequences as is the case with all games. Since I don't know of a game which does any different ( if there are such games, please point me to them, observing other games help a lot afterall ), I don't think it's safe to assume that it would be an aggravation.

I have a question about the price mechanic. When you are trading, whose "worth" value gets used? After all, you can't really have a thing worth two values when you are trying to sell it. If I think this sword is worth 10 GP, and the blacksmith thinks it is worth 20, what I think it is worth is pretty irrelevant (unless this is simply a gauge for whether you might want to save it for another blacksmith). That would be the same with buying, because if you think a sword is worth less, the blacksmith just plain isn't going to sell it to you.

Whose suggested price gets used depends on a number of stat, but I admit I haven't finalized anything yet, that's why I'm asking here. Now to answer better; based on item & character stats, every NPC dictates a price of his/her own. When the price comes into question between two characters, ie. the player and a merchant, I plan it to be based upon a number of stats, like I said before. I'm not settled with which and how. Better judgement on weapon and trading skill are the basics, but if NPCs were to have stats to determine their characteristics, like in Oblivion ( you know, responsibility level, aggression level etc. ), it could depend on those as well, ie. honest merchants vs. scammer merchants.

In the end, it's more like a battle of imposition. For example, if an attribute like Charisma is in, and if your skills / modifiers related to trading and reactions, and if the merchant is a scam, then theoritically (s)he could rob you blind. It's overly complex, which needs to be so, in my opinion. Like I said, I haven't settled on one exact way, I'm still looking into mechanics, but there is definitely no predefined prices. It's all dynamic.

Likewise, the issue of demand & supply is an important thing too, which is usually not done well in games, so, there's more to it than what appears to be. Character & Item stats are just the primary modifiers.

You might do a similar thing with weapons.. <rest of your post>

Except for a "reliability" score thing, I'm thinking a similar thing, but I do think it's much useful in a fantasy setting as well. After all, not even plate armor equals to being a T800 in a fantasy setting. There were weapons specifically designed to deal with plate armors back in those days, and what kind of impact they make on contact with armors and weapons. This more or less translates into ammunition types with firearms.

One major difference is that other things like reloading speed, rate of fire for firearms are dependant on character skills in medieal weaponry. Those stats I wrote were the primary stats for weapon vs weapon or weapon vs armor, completely from a materialistic viewpoint. There is definitely space for more values for weapon spefications, like weapon reach or length, type and damage, all of which are affected by character stats, which I didn't go into on purpose. ( I think I went a little off-topic now in replying to your comment )

In my suggested systm, something similar to reliability score would translate into an average value based on item stats, which isn't too different in my opinion.

denizsi

Arcane
Not really. Some parts of a weapon or an armor are easier to repair than others. Some can't be repaired. And must be substituted. You can divide the weapon or armor in parts and handle them separately.

That could be handled with rare cricital equipment damage, or lack of maintaining leading to such FUBAR situations. Even though I take a fairly bit of realism over other things, I still wouldn't go that deep into specific parts of armor. It could be made to be useful and fun perhaps, but maybe something for a "next time" :P

So, Instead of that, a rare critical situations causing equipment to go FUBAR, and only if the condition of the equipment has been low for some time, without maintaining it, could simulate that pretty good. The main use of condition is that the "material" part, which provides the basic use of defense or offense, getting degraded. But a little more thought could be put into it, without making it the "blacksmith realism simulator".

How about having size and size range bands? ie, size 180cm human standard complexion, size range band 1 +/-10 cm comprexion normal, band 2 +/220cm Where in band 1 you could wear it without penatlites, band 2 has penalties, band 3 requires adaptation in smith, band 4 in impossible to use. Besides height, as stated, you could have a more compressed complexion range measured in "human averages".

While it doesn't sound bad to me at first read, it comes as overly restrictive, in terms of game design ( not gameplay ). But a similar thing could perhaps be used, having a few "ranges bands", covering wide heights. Thanks for the idea, it deserves attention.

I long for a game where chainmail actually penalizes agility/dexterity more than plate Confused, with plate worn over a layer and making you the tank you should be.

Got nothing to say about that.

I disagree. This would actually result in good appropriate weapons for you being harder to find. Lowering supply results in higher prices which means more gold for those who hoard the weapnz! PWD!

Hmm, maybe you're right, it could mean more gold, but definitely not a waking tank of a player at level 1. Besides, that exploitation depends more on the overall game design. But another point is that good sutff not being harder to find, but being harder to discern. A merchant could easily pull a scam on an unexperienced character, buying a really good piece of equipment for a very cheap price. It's not perfect, but like I said, it depends more on the overall game design, including the power of merchants' in terms of stocked money.

denizsi

Arcane

Unless of course, attacking at the weak parts and openings between pieces, which probably only good, experienced swordsman could attempt to do, and only fighters experienced with that type of armor could have a chance of evading such attacks.

But, still there were swords specifically made to puncture armor, like a spear, instead of cutting.

Also, for wounds, if you want to put extra effort into it, shy away from made up probability tables. You know where the internal organs are, you know how thick the major bones are, you know where the main vein and arteries are, and you can calculate the effect of a strike depending on its force, angle and weapon.

Good thing is good things happen Smile If you are hit in the back of the head, you can calculate what is going to happen according to where, how and how strong you were hit wihout having to throw in some phony "50% blackout".

Bad thing is you are going to die very very very easily. Oops. There goes the carotid. Ooops. Was that the femoral? Ew, I must have punctured through your chest to your lung. And suddenly daggers become mortal weapons.

Since I aim for an "aimed attack", like in Fallout, you would be able to choose where to attack, so probabilities would depend on location. Yes, I did think of force and angle, which are determined by skill. As one could expect, being able to strike with appropriate force and in right angle takes skill, as well as strength etc. They are more or less in place I believe.

As for ease of death, well, I value realism, but it's a game after all :) Things could be arranged to replace death with heavy consequences in some ( not all ) cases.

An essay on the various points of interest of a hypothetical duel between a samurai and an european knight: http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, sir!

Sirbolt

Liturgist
I think aiming attacks, at least in the context of actual physical combat, seems a bit unrealistic. In the hurly burly of battle you're more likely to search for actual openings or momentary weak spots in the opponents defense then actively trying to hit any specific weak spot. I actually think that a fundamental understanding of how close combat works is a very important part when designing a combat system.

Thrawn05

Scholar
aweigh said:
I've fired a crossbow and compared to a flatbow (haven't tried a longbow) it is about 3 million times easier. Although I don't see how x-bows are cheaper to make than flatbows or longbows... I'd imagine it's the other way around.

Crossbows were more expensive then bows to make of course, but that's nothing compared to the time and money it would take to make a good archer. So in the long run it was cheaper. An army could quickly and cheaply raise a group of crossbowmen to supplement the rest of the army (including trained archers).

rampage

Novice
Sirbolt said:
I think aiming attacks, at least in the context of actual physical combat, seems a bit unrealistic. In the hurly burly of battle you're more likely to search for actual openings or momentary weak spots in the opponents defense then actively trying to hit any specific weak spot. I actually think that a fundamental understanding of how close combat works is a very important part when designing a combat system.

Must agree with that. As well, I'd like to point out that a fighter with a high skill might actually plunge forward instead of slashing backward as the player wanted because the fighter knows that backing at that point would put him in a dangerous situation knowing he's out of balance and is just asking for a riposte. The fighter knows better than the player :) How about that.

Higher Game

Arcane
Fallout's armor system will ALWAYS be the best. It accounts for armor class for dodging, base damage reduction for stuff like miniguns, and percentage reduction for big hits like explosions. In D&D, a hit on a plate mail will do the same average damage as a hit on a leather jacket, except it's harder to hit someone in plate mail than in a jacket. :roll: This is honestly a pathetic system. It has always been one of my major problems with D&D.

Heavy armor should be easier to hit, but harder to punch through. Light armor should be hard to hit, but easy to punch through. Fallout's ARMOR was often unbalanced, but the SYSTEM is the best I have ever seen.

I have always hoped to see a special armor in D&D based games that has something like -1 to damage received, but no such luck for me. If anything, magical weapons shouldn't ever get damage bonuses, just accuracy bonuses, which would put them on par with magical armor. The fact that +1 longswords have one more accuracy AND damage while +1 plate mail just gets one more AC leads to some inflated damage. I guess that's what you have to do when the insane hit points/level boosts lead to munchkinism instead of gradually increasing specific skills, which is more appropriate for role playing and gradual, satisfying character development. Hell, Elder Scrolls even got it right in this regard. :lol:

Temoid

Scholar
Well, I play pnp with the Iron Heroes ruleset. There, armor and evasion are two different things and it works really well.

Drakron

Arcane
Higher Game said:
Fallout's armor system will ALWAYS be the best...

Nice rant.

Except one thing, way back when I was at Wizards forums on a tread about this subject (realism of the AC system) someone said one of the 3rd party supplements did go around with doing DR and stuff and the end result was very similar to what was in D&D.

In fact SW D20 relaced the AC in armors for DR (please note that was to make unarmored characters more viable) so you can see the d20 can so it, the reasons it does not is for simplicty and faster resolution of combat rounds.

Making a overall complicated system that end up with the same result that a simplistic system ends up being counter produtive when rolls and calculations take the most of the time playing.

Fallout SPECIAL was based in GRUPS, it was originaly to use GRUPS until there was a falling out and Interplay named the system SPECIA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom