Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines interview at Gaming Trend

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.gamingtrend.com>Gaming Trend</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamingtrend.com/Articles/articles.php?artID=133>interview</a> with Pete Hines:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How many people working on the game?</b>
<br>
Including QA and everyone, probably close to 100...give or take a few.</blockquote><b>Funfact #1:</b> Only 2 people worked on Mount & Blade
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What, in your mind, is the most innovative part of Oblivion?</b>
<br>
I think it's the combination of everything. The visuals, the open-ended nature of the game, the fun of being a gladiator or a dark brotherhood assassin or a necromancer-fighting mage...and it's all in the same game, potentially at the same time.</blockquote><b>Funfact #2:</b> either Pete Hines doesn't have a clue what innovative means or ...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Will there ever be an Elder Scrolls compilation with the previous games?</b>
<br>
Never. DOS-based games were not meant for today's hardware and OS options.</blockquote><b>Funfact #3:</b> <a href=http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1>DosBox has been downloaded 2,000,000 times</a>
<br>
<br>

ShinAli

Novice
Thrawn05 said:
I've heard dumbfuck commits from him before, but that takes the cake.

"Comments".

Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote><b>Will there ever be an Elder Scrolls compilation with the previous games?</b>
Never. DOS-based games were not meant for today's hardware and OS options.</blockquote><b>Funfact #3:</b> <a href=http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1>DosBox has been downloaded 2,000,000 times</a>

Software companies generally tend to stay away from utilizing open-source software. The only game company I know that used something open-source is the devs for Blood Rayne 2, which used ODE. I know you aren't saying "WHY DON'T THEY USE DOSBOX", but another thing to consider is that old game code is a pain in the ass to fix, especially for something as complicated as Daggerfall (there were no useful libraries back then, and probably didn't use C++ to it's fullest since OOP back then made a significant hit to games). Not to mention that it wouldn't be very marketable for the amount of work they would need to put in... the amount of people that had nostalgia about Daggerfall or Arena isn't as large as one might think. I'd very much doubt people new to Arena/Daggerfall would buy into it, either.

El Dee

Scholar
Beth needs to bite the bullet and put Daggerfall on their website as a free download like they did with Arena. At this rate I don't think I am ever going to find an affordable copy of that game.

ShinAli

Novice
They probably will later on... that seems like the only option they have to do anything with Daggerfall. Well, that and release the source code, but I remember them saying that it won't ever happen or something in that vein.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ShinAli said:
I didn't imply that Bethesda should play with open-source software. I meant that there is an established and well-known way to play DOS games (otherwise, why the fuck did they release Arena?)

Thrawn05

Scholar
ShinAli said:
"Comments".

Thanks. This new keyboard is a little smaller and I'm constantly misspelling words

Software companies generally tend to stay away from utilizing open-source software. The only game company I know that used something open-source is the devs for Blood Rayne 2, which used ODE. I know you aren't saying "WHY DON'T THEY USE DOSBOX", but another thing to consider is that old game code is a pain in the ass to fix, especially for something as complicated as Daggerfall (there were no useful libraries back then, and probably didn't use C++ to it's fullest since OOP back then made a significant hit to games). Not to mention that it wouldn't be very marketable for the amount of work they would need to put in... the amount of people that had nostalgia about Daggerfall or Arena isn't as large as one might think. I'd very much doubt people new to Arena/Daggerfall would buy into it, either.

Funny though, how LucasArts was able to convert X-Wing and TIE Fighter games from DOS to windows. They made a killing from it since Win98 wasn't friendly to either one of those DOS games.

bryce777

Erudite
"the fun of being a gladiator or a dark brotherhood assassin or a necromancer-fighting mage...and it's all in the same game, potentially at the same time."

I am the wizzard lored assin thief gladiator king!

Oarfish

Prophet
and probably didn't use C++ to it's fullest since OOP back then made a significant hit to games

And what the buggery would that have to do with application compatibilty? Hooky in-house extended memory mangers are the worst source of incompatibility with modern OS's.

ShinAli

Novice
Thrawn05 said:
Funny though, how LucasArts was able to convert X-Wing and TIE Fighter games from DOS to windows. They made a killing from it since Win98 wasn't friendly to either one of those DOS games.

LucasArts had coders that were pretty good at what they do back then, though. As I remember, Daggerfall was an extremely peice of buggy software... maybe it was because the world had many systems to apply to the huge world, or the coders just sucked, but I sure as hell hate to take a look at Daggerfall's code. It's probably full of dirty, quick fixes that cross over each other to make a fine, buggy mesh. Ugh :(

bryce777

Erudite
ShinAli said:
Thrawn05 said:
I've heard dumbfuck commits from him before, but that takes the cake.

"Comments".

Vault Dweller said:

Where do all these dumbfucks come from? Especially the alleged programming experts with 92 IQs?

ShinAli

Novice
Oarfish said:
And what the buggery would that have to do with application compatibilty?

Bad, unorganized code. As I've said, it was probably full of fixes that only applied to DOS. Would they try to squash every one of them to make it compatible with modern OS's might take quite a bit of work just for a small sum of profits.

bryce777

Erudite
ShinAli said:
Oarfish said:
And what the buggery would that have to do with application compatibilty?

Bad, unorganized code. As I've said, it was probably full of fixes that only applied to DOS. Would they try to squash every one of them to make it compatible with modern OS's might take quite a bit of work just for a small sum of profits.

There is something magical called an 'emulator'. They probably do not even have source code anymore, anyhow.

ShinAli

Novice
bryce777 said:
Where do all these dumbfucks come from? Especially the alleged programming experts with 92 IQs?

I don't believe I said I was a "programming expert".

bryce777 said:
There is something magical called an 'emulator'. They probably do not even have source code anymore, anyhow.

Developing an emulator just for one or two games wouldn't be worth it, and people would expect a reasonably bug-free game if it were to be released. It's not a very good option to go with. Although you're probably right about the source code, though.

geminito

Liturgist
Why is VD allowed to make comments on the front page? He makes Pete Hines look like a genius.

DosBox hardly makes old games satisfying on today's hardware. I could never get Arena working as it used to. It's still best to get an old PC at a yard sale to play the old games.

ShinAli

Novice
geminito said:
Why is VD allowed to make comments on the front page? He makes Pete Hines look like a genius.

Probably because he's part of the editorial staff, but that's only off the top of my head.

Vault Dweller

Developer
geminito said:
Why is VD allowed to make comments on the front page?
Got a problem? Complain to Saint.

He makes Pete Hines look like a genius.
There is nothing in this world that can make Pete Hines look like a genius. (That was Funfact #4)

DosBox hardly makes old games satisfying on today's hardware.
Bullshit. DosBox works like a fucking charm. Throw in VDM Sound, and it's a perfect setup. Both Arena & Daggerfall run fine on it.

I could never get Arena working as it used to.
Well, if THAT's the real reason, then it's a different story, but please, don't blame DosBox for your incompetence.

It's still best to get an old PC at a yard sale to play the old games.
We may disagree on certain things, but trust me, downloading DosBox and mounting a drive with a simple command is a much, MUCH better option.

kohla

Educated
Iirc there were some posts in the official ESF boards years ago (past game section) where it was mentioned that Bethesda 'lost' the source codes for Daggerfall when they moved from Bethesda, MD to Rockport, MD. This reason was often mention as why Bethesda, even if they wanted to, could not release Daggerfall for the Win 2K/XP. This was before most of the emulators were robust/secure than today.

Fintilgin

Educated
Yeah, I've been really impressed by just how well DosBox runs with a lot of games, including stuff like the old Elder Scrolls. It's really a shame Bethesda hasn't made Daggerfall more available. I still own my origional copy, but I know it's not easy to get ahold of for those who don't. Obviously it's not quite so easy to release for free on their website as it's so big, but I'm sure sites like FilePlanet would be glad to host it.

I think a DVD with Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind + XPs with a copy of DosBox configured to run the old ones would have been a great bonus for the Oblivion collectors edition. Or if they don't want to (or can't) distribute DosBox distribute the configiration files and provide a link to the Dosbox page.

HardCode

Erudite
GT: How big are saves going to be on the memory unit? What challenges did you have to program it on the Xbox 360 with no hard drive?
PH: The largest it can be is 8 megs, but that would be after playing the game for weeks and months. Not nearly that much for most folks. It's pretty reasonable.

I would pay dollars to donuts to see all of the Xbox 360 retards go berzerk because around November 2006, their Save Game crashes Oblivion because of save size limit. Oh, what a treat that would be.

bryce777

Erudite
ShinAli said:
bryce777 said:

I don't believe I said I was a "programming expert".

bryce777 said:

Developing an emulator just for one or two games wouldn't be worth it, and people would expect a reasonably bug-free game if it were to be released. It's not a very good option to go with. Although you're probably right about the source code, though.

Wow, you are a fucking idiot. There are already emulators out there, one of which has been pointed out IN THIS FUCKING THREAD.

There are also emulators which bundle into the software's deployment so that it is seemless.

If you are not an expert, maybe you should shut the fuck up instead of saying increasingly stupid comments on topics you have no expertise in.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I've installed Daggerfall on a A64 3200+ , X1800XT + 2GB Ram and WinXP setup.
It's not a dual core + X1900 machine but it's a modern config.
It works like a charm with DosBox + D-Fend so you should AT LEAST READ THE MANUALS before saying the game won't work.
Actually, it works much better than I remember with my 486DX.

ShinAli

Novice
bryce777 said:
Wow, you are a fucking idiot. There are already emulators out there, one of which has been pointed out IN THIS FUCKING THREAD.

There are also emulators which bundle into the software's deployment so that it is seemless.

If you are not an expert, maybe you should shut the fuck up instead of saying increasingly stupid comments on topics you have no expertise in.

I didn't say I don't have experience in programming either, but I try not to toot my own horn for the sake of making my own argument look good.

Also, I've already addressed about DosBox. Most software companies refrain from using open-source software into retail products. Aside from Free Software/Open-Source advocating companies, of course. And if there were any commercial products that emulate DOS software for current operating systems, chances are they are for applications and not really suited for old games.

You're not providing any real counter arguments against my points, but rather going towards name calling and base remarks. Maybe it'd help if you calmed down a little?

Seboss

Liturgist
I spent quite some time messing with experimental builds of DOSBox but didn't manage to play Daggerfall with pixel filtering at a decent performance.
Even with the sample config files that can be found on the ESF / Old games section.
If you think you can help, please PM me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom