Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition is quite good!

jplestat

Novice
Dons flame retardant suit:

I thought that the original Dungeon Lords release was one of the low points of RPGs and PC games in general. It was unplayable, had missing features, tons of bugs, etc....It was an unfinished game.

They are now up to Patch 1.4. I was bored the other day and decided to try it with the new patch. I was surprised to find that I really liked it. I saw the collector's edition in the store and knowing it was improved even past the 1.4 patch I bought it, lured by:new monsters, new spells, new heraldries...." as it states on the box. The collector's edition has one of the coolest boxes ever also being a mettalic DVD case. Anyway on to thoughts of the game:

1. Action RPG It does fall into this category. However, it feels very much like Gothic 2 in the impementation. The combat system does take a while to get used to, but it is more varied and interesting than the one in Gothic 2, a game I really liked. Your stats and skils have a huge influence on your success in fights, and there are advanced combo moves and blocking moves with your shield as well as evasive manouvers. It is very well done and I find it fun. It is not just a clickfest and after a while you can develop different fighting styles and strategies for different monsters. Fighting is very hectic as often you are fighting many monsters at once but it is manageable and requires good strategy and tactics to get through. Your skills and stats have a noticeable influence on your combat ability. It is not a mindless click fest.

1b. Magic system. Different types of magic and different ways of casting spells. There are spell crystals, scrolls, books and runes. Each type of magic uses a different system. Magic interface is done by hotkey and works well. Have not done a whole lot wioth magic, but it seems to be well done. One negative I have seen is it is unclear what positive effect addition intelligence or skill in a branch of magic has on individual spells, though the game makes it clear it does. Might have to use them and see the difference.

2. Monsters I have not played the whole game, but so far the monsters are very varied. They look excellent from the standard rats and snakes to hellhounds, skeletons, zombies and trolls being some of the things I have encounted so far. Their attacks are very different and interesting. Some have breath weapons and can make you gag, which is a cool effect. The hellhound breathed inky smoke which obscures your vision and can gag as well. There are humanoids with swords and magic users who cast spells at you. There is also a good variey of types of encounters froms swarms of rats and bats, to very difficult one on one encounters and bosses

3. Graphics Really quite excellent. Swaying grass, very realistic looking buildings, bridges. Cool dungeons. Great looking monsters. Consistently surprised how good the graphics are. Quite possibly the best of any RPG I have played to date. The player character and other NPCs are very well rendered and animated

4. Character system Kind of a little bit of a throwback. So many games now start with a generic character or a forced one. Here you have a reasonable number of race choices at the beginning and several basic class archetypes like fighter, thief, mage, though the manual indicates that eventually you develop into many different and varied subclasses. Character development system is skill based and very well done. XP and leveling give you advancement points which you use to choose the skills your character will have as well as increasing base stats. Increasing the skills has a very noticeable effect on your characters strength, and it si balanced well so that each decision is important and needs thought. Good variety of skills and some are only available to certain classes.Very good system, and gives the game replayability as you can come up with very different builds

5. Story There seems to be a good story here, and the quests have been fairly interesting and varied. Dialogue choices are of the category type instead of branching dialogue but it seems to work well. Someone looking for a complex conversation system like Planescape Torment or Fallout will not find it here, but there are numerous conversations and they add to the storyline and depth of the game

6. There are trap and lockpicking mini-games which are well done and mostly stat based, very similar to the ones in Wizardry 6 and 7

7. Areas So far there have been a good mix of outiside, city and dungeon areas. Better mix here than Gothic which is almost entirely outside.

8 Size Seems to be a very large game. I am only in the first city and the map has many other citiies and areas on it.

9. Stability Excellent, has never crashed on me and I have not seen any bad bugs

10. Interface Is OK, could be improved a little here and there. Map is OK, and gets slightly better with your scouting skill but could be improved. Merchant window interface is not as streamlined as it could be. Combat system definitely takes a bit to get used to, but I have grown to really like it. It has depth, and is tied in well with your stats so it does not seem all twitch. Dialogue and update windows and fonts are done very well and have a lot of polish.

Overall, I am having a great time with this game. If you liked Gothic 1 and 2 I think you will have a blast with this game. It is now a pretty polished product. It is a shame it was not released originally like this it may have been a big hit. It is a very good hybrid of some old time RPG elements with a more modern action combat system, butone that works well. But it is not a Diablo or Sacred type game. It definitely feels and plays like a good stroy driven RPG with an excellent character development system that lends itself to many different builds and setups so replayability is excellent. And it is fun.

I understand there is probably a bit of a negative bias towrds this game, especially becuase of the initial release, but the Collector's edition is an excellent game and in my view worthy of an RPG fans time and money. I am enjoying it as much as any RPG I have played in a number of years and I have played almost all of them.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Man, the Codex must've hit a new low if we have people peddling Dungeon Cocks as if it's the second coming of Jesus.

obediah

Erudite
I am really enjoying the Collectors Edition. I find it goes reall well with a snickers bar.

K8tdog

Novice
I know the poster and signed into the forum to confirm that he is not Bradley.

JPLestat called me and convinced me to purchase the collectors edition. I am glad that I did.

All of the originally advertised features appear to be enabled now and I am having a decent time. The game is a bit more linear than I like (prefer Morrowind), but it is enjoyable none the less. Mini review:

Good: graphics, sound, dungeon crawling, interractive dungeons.
Bad: annoying in game loading, annoying save game loading, hard to use map (could be my skill level), linear.

Combat is interesting and difficult to explain (kind of arcadey), definately frenetic. It is interesting getting killed by rats, not because they are over-powerful, but beacuse a pack of 15-30 of them surround you and overwhelm you. On the other hand, I defeated a vampire at a very low level with careful ranged combat, healing potions and A LOT of running around in circles.

I am reasonably discerning with my game time and usually network Diablo II with my children, but I have about 10-15 hours into this game and I will continue to play for a while.

For what it worth......

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wow, this show is getting better and better. More people confirming stuff please!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Eventually. I just want to see this thread blossom and develop into something beautiful first.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Well, does anyone actually have an argument to counter what he is saying, or is this just another thing on the Codex' blacklist :?:

Oh jeah, Dunglord suxxx! I said it too! Now like me.

That's not to say you guys aren't probably right, but cursing doesn't prove a point.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Eventually. I just want to see this thread blossom and develop into something beautiful first.
I always suspected you were a pyromaniac, VD.

To Ghan- I played the demo a long time ago, and it was truly awful.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Ghan:

First, many people have played that crap, and it was nowhere near the stage where a patch could fix anything. Second, both posts look like advertisement.

jplestat

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
@ Ghan:

First, many people have played that crap, and it was nowhere near the stage where a patch could fix anything. Second, both posts look like advertisement.

To the first statement, I would definitely agree with that. I was one of the idiots who purchased the game when it came out and it was an unplayable piece of crap. This is why I was so surprised when I played the 1.4 pacth and found that no only did it fix all the issues the original had but that it was a good game.

To the second statement, I could definitely see where a company might hire a shill or two to tout a floundering game on this board. Well, that's just not me. I am a 41 year old guy who loves RPGs and has played them since the days of Bards Tale, Wizardry 1, and Ultima II. The other poster who came in here, went to college with me and is in a similar situation. I played Ultima V with him on an amber Kaybro luggable. We both bought Amigas back in the day, eventually moving to PCs when the Amiga went away.
I have no affilliation with any software company, and come here only because of my love of RPGs

I posted the review for two reasons:

1. Because what I said is true, and as unlikely as it seems, the end result is a very good and fun game that even has some extra polish. If people give it a chance, I think many would be pleasantly surprised and have a good game to play and enjoy, and there are just not enough playable RPGs right now

2. Because this board is so caustic and confromtational I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone could evaluate the post on its merits or if I would just be flamed to death. It seems the latter, which is sad. It is the people here who are missing out.

It is not a perfect game. But if Dreamcatcher had had the balls to forego the quarterly revenue and release the game when it was ready which the collector's edition represents, it would have been I think a big hit. As it is, I supported both the bad decision of Dreamcatcher to release an aplha game and the good but questionable decision to release a fixed version at full price again and that bothers me a bit. On the other hand I have a game now I will get a lot of enjoyment out of, and you would think there might be some here who would like that as well. Or not.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fair enough. I will address your original posts on its merits shortly (I have a meeting in 10 minutes)

Levski 1912

Scholar
Nah, VD is secretly meeting with Bethesda employees to see how to further carve up TES 4 and FO 3. The ESF-Codex wars are just a game to him, you see.

Kraszu

Prophet
VD made this page only to cnow whot minority of ppl plaing rpg likes so he can tell Bethseda whot no to do. AoD is only to fool as more, the game don't really exist there are only some pictures made in photoshop.

Solik

Scholar
This brings to mind those recent comments at Penny Arcade about people who are literally hired to visit message boards and hype games to the people there, pretending to be normal users.

Seven

Erudite
Kraszu said:
VD made this page only to cnow whot minority of ppl plaing rpg likes so he can tell Bethseda whot no to do. AoD is only to fool as more, the game don't really exist there are only some pictures made in photoshop.

WOW--nicto, crokto, binicto--welcome to earth, our primary language is English. :P

AZ

Liturgist
It seems they have completed the game, and now reselling it as collector's edition. There are a lot changes from stability to new content like places, items, spells, charter customization, map, npc-s, missions. Some ppl are pretty angry at the official forum, about there is no 1.5 patch to add the CE content to the original release.

I'm still not brave enought to buy this crap. =P

D.W. Bradley himself speaks about DLCE
GB: The announcement of a Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition caught a lot of fans by surprise. Is this something you've wanted to do since the game's original release?

D.W. Bradley: Yes, the Collector's Edition represents my original design and intentions for the game, and I want to thank DreamCatcher for giving me a chance to do it!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So it is basically a patch that you have to pay for even if you have the original edition? Way to cater to the loyal fans :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom