Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preparing for the horrors of Oblivious - Modded Morrowind

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I will be trying out Morrowind, and its expansion packs, once more to remind myself of what we will be facing in March.

I believe there is something called a 'mod' which makes the game 'fun' so which mods would you recommend me install to blunt the pain?

Is there a uber-Mod which bundles all the good mods together?

Tintin

Arbiter
So............you thought Morrowind was painful to play..........you think Oblivion will be painful to play.........so just to remind yourself of how painful Oblivion will be..........you decided to inflict Morrowind on yourself again........

..........have you been to the psychiatrist lately?

Solik

Scholar
Which mods make the game more fun to you depends on your tastes. You can try some of the better quest mods that offer different paths to completion if you're interested in that sort of thing. There's gameplay tweaks and entire overhauls that change how the skill system functions. There's kludge mods that add crafting and other extras. There's monster replacements, cliff racer reducers and removers, spell rebalancers, birthsign replacements, character generation overhauls, equipment lists, graphical packages, children mods, random travelling NPC mods, city expansions, faction tweaks, and whatever else. There's several sites with huge listings of Morrowind mods grouped by category. Do a Google and you'll get literally thousands to choose from.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I liked a mod called "The Seekers" that introduced a new faction. "Twin Lamps" (iirc) was also good.

LlamaGod

Cipher
using alot of those mods might make morrowind somewhat enjoyable

or

you could just install Ultima 7 and still have an even better exerpeince

Fodel

Novice
General

-Superadventurers

-Giants

-Morrowind comes alive

-CM partners (with gay addon optional)

-Herbalism

-Less Generic NPC (several mods)

-Primary needs

Factions

-The Twin Lamps

-The Seekers

-The iluminated Order

Cool

-Better heads

-Better bodies

And much more, enjoy :D

LlamaGod

Cipher
Better heads is kinda retarded, theres a few variations and one of them is good.

I hate how they make everyone look like supermodels and shit. It's lame.

and GIANTS is probably the worst mod ever made. You could make a mod that replaces every single texture with Goaste and it would still be better than GIANTS.

Nael

Arcane
Illuminated Order, Moon Spawn, and The Black Mill were probably my favorite MW mods. Qarl's texture update is also a must if you have a decent computer. The Black Mill in particular is a masterpiece example of what you can do with the CS using *alot* of elbow grease and know-how.

Balor

Arcane
I hate how they make everyone look like supermodels and shit. It's lame.
The alternative is having stock MW heads, that are not 'plain' - but UGLY looking. And not ugly as 'faces', <s>but ugly as feces</s> but as as models - low-poly, low-res... yuck.
___
Hmm, nice to see my mods being recommended ;)
If you want something hardcore/RP - try my Levelling (Yea, with two 'll"s :)) - with a bit of tweaking, perhaps.
Or, alternatevely, GCD - it's much more polished, I admit that, if does not feature uber 'skill degradation feature' evebody secretly LOVES, I know it, but, for some reason pretend to hate it. ;)

LlamaGod

Cipher
One thing that I actually had fun with in Morrowind was making a really difficult character build and working through it, avoiding trainers and such.

I did a High Elf who used Heavy Armor and Long Swords, and took a bunch of combat skills (with the one magic line I took being weak healing spells, put it in Minor).

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Thanks for some of the mod recommendations. My chick bought the NeverWinter Nights and Morrowind collections as a Christmas gift so i'm finally going to give them a try.

No... they weren't on the wishlist. My chick knows i like RPGs and asked the dude at Gamespot for some recommendations.

Solik

Scholar
I used to get them from the Morrowind Summit at RPGPlanet, but it seems to be down. That link redirects you instead to Planet Elder Scrolls, which at least looks to have a similar list, if a lesser layout. Might work for you.

Zomg

Arbiter
I also have to call out Giants for being awful. It definitely has the worst (actual quality)/(number of times it gets recommended) ratio of any mod.

I also recommend the "Twin Lamps" mod, although there are several different versions by different modders, because the whole slavery element of Morrowind needed a way for the character to demonstrate a stance towards the institution. The particular "Twin Lamps" one I'm talking about actually branched into militant, passive resistant and counter-abolitionist questlines, and was very high quality all-around.

Zomg

Arbiter
I also have to call out Giants for being awful. It definitely has the worst (actual quality)/(number of times it gets recommended) ratio of any mod.

I also recommend the "Twin Lamps" mod, although there are multiple different versions, because the whole slavery element of Morrowind needed a way for the character to demonstrate a stance towards the institution. The "Twin Lamps" one I'm talking about actually branched into militant, passive resistant and counter-abolitionist questlines, and was very high quality all-around.

OverrideB1

Scholar
While I'm not a fan of the "super-model" look that Better Heads gives, it's about a bazillion times better than the stock heads. There are a large number of "head-replacers" - some of the better ones being by (IIRC) Don Salus.

Illuminated Order, The Dwemeri Secret, and The Black Mill are all excellent mods and well worth a look. Moon-Spawn is also good if you're looking for a (longish) dungeon-bash - although the rewards tend to be a bit on the uber-side.

Avoid Giants like you'd avoid shitting your pants. It really, really is that bad.

If you want to add some fairly neat magical stuff to the game - Magic Trinkets of Tamriel is the one to add. Version 3 was the last non-beta version.

If you don't mind running an external programme - Aerlorn's mods (Advanced Journal, Advanced Blocking, etc) are well worth a look and show why he was taken onto the dev-team. You're probably also going to need TESTool - so you can unfuck the levelled lists because vanilla MW will fuck them up for you if you start adding mods with levelled lists

Solik

Scholar
Balance is awful and the models are mostly very ugly. The new monsters do add a lot of variety to combat, but it's not worth it for most people.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Solik said:
Balance is awful and the models are mostly very ugly. The new monsters do add a lot of variety to combat, but it's not worth it for most people.

Okay. I'll be sure not to download it then.

I've always been a pretty large fan of the "Balmora Enhanced" mod, which was very fun to play with and explore. Everyone was raving about the "Wizard Island" mod, but to tell you the truth, I wasn't very impressed with it. Sure it's large, with custom textures, models, quests, and whatnot, but I didn't feel the mod was as polished as it could be, nor were the quests as well designed as they could be.

Flink

Liturgist
Backstab

Adds a bonus to your short blade skill depending on your sneak skill, increasing the chances for a successful backstabbing attack an enemy while in sneak mode.

Charge

Adds a strength and attack bonus for each second the PC has been running, allowing the Player to charge into enemies, increasing the power of his/her attack and having an extra chance at knocking them down.

Air Attack

Adds a strength and attack bonus for each second the PC has been jumping/falling, allowing the Player to swoop down on hapless enemies, increasing the power of his/her hits powerful, and having an extra chance at knocking them down.

These 3 sound pretty cool actually. Anyone that's tried them? Charging at an enemy with a spear or sneaking up and impaling them as you drop from above sounds interesting...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Mods I use...

Morrowind Comes Alive = Adds thousands of randomly generated NPC's that stroll the land.
Traveling Merchants = Adds pre-scripted merchants that route between the citiies.
The Lighting Mod = Adds pseudo-dynamic lighting to the game. Very beautiful at night, expect performance hit. Also kick-ass inside caves. Bring your torch!
Atmospheric Sound Effects = Goes overboard and adds thousands of new sound bytes that add to the atmosphere. Especially notable inside caves (Very creepy) and in swamps.
Harmless Wildlife = Just what it says... it's retarded that all wildlife goes rabid on you for no reason. Now they don't (unless they're a predatory species).
Super Adventurer's Mod = Heavily tweaks the game, skills, spells, armor and weapons for better balance, and also goes into lots of other areas. There are several versions of this, the latest one being the "Super" one. A must!
NPC Replacer = Replaces all of the stock NPC's and auto-installs Better Heads / Better Bodies on'em. A very good thing.
Living Cities
of Vvanderfall (or whatever) = Basically adds RAI to Morrowind. Scripts NPC's to lock-up at night, go to taverns during the day and basically not stand still like retards. Thankfully, no dogs were harmed in the making of this mod.
More Trees & Foliage = Just what it says. It adds tons of more forested areas, AND replaces most existing trees with higher-res ones.

Now for the most important ones...

The Visual Packs 1.1 and 1.2 and the Visual Pack XT basically retexture Morrowind and makes it much, much prettier. Almost 300mb's of new textures.
Blocking Enhanced = Makes your blocking skill go to 100% when you right-click, therefore making blocking just like in Oblivion... FEEL THE ORC'S FEAR.

And last but not least... Real Signposts! Finally, legible handwriting on those blasted things. OBLIBBION!!!

Anyway, those are all the mods I use to make that piece of dung bearable. Graphically speaking, The Lighting Mod and the Visual Packs are THE things to have, a WHOLE new experience. Caves are scarier with the Atmospheric Sound Effects and the pseudo-dynamic lighting from TLM is great for going deep underground with a torch in hand. For general playing the NPC Replacer and Morrowind Comes Alive are musts, as they basically populate the land instead of it being almost empty (just imagine how even empiter OB shall be!), and the Traveling Merchants are very nice. Also, although I do not use them, there are tons of "Companion" mods which basically add a follower for you that has some AI and can be equipped with weapons & armor. I suppose its nice if you get scared in the tombs or something, or just use them as pack mules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom