Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, you're to cool for Oblivion? Why?

I've flittered through these forums in passing a bit over the last few months, but after reading a rash of Oblivion/Bethesda related bashing (ironically, conducted principle by Fallout fans) I have to jump into the fray.

No, I'm not a TES fanboy - although I'm sure somebody will tar me with that epithet. I'm actually convinced that one, and only one, game represents the singular culmination of advanced crpg design - and that game's called Fallout. I'll happily bear the distinction of being a tool for Tim Cain's quest for world domination. From establishing woefully underused conventions such as allowing attributes to effect dialog options, to the theme (wonderfully devoid of elves, yet sprinkled with “old world charms”), Fallout and – to a lesser degree – the Infinity Engine titles sadly mark the high water crest of the mid 90s cRPG boom. This isn’t news to anybody here so I’ll shut up about my past. Suffice to say I’m dorky enough to remember Wasteland and all the SSI gold box games as being new (hell, add Zork and other Infocom titles to that list as well).

Never the less, in this world increasingly devoid of cRPGs of any depth, I see people complaining about the one game that can put the genre back on the map. In a time when people should be rejoicing over *not only* the release of a fairly in-depth cRPG, but the mainstream gaming media‘s attention to a genre normally spurned, I see page after page of people viciously attacking Bethesda and their work – presumably as a threat to something I can’t understand. Can you help me understand it?

Ok, the game has been streamlined. This doesn’t make me happy either – but the changes appear minimal at worst. The AI, which needs to be seen to be truly appreciated I feel, sounds like it could be very entertaining even if broken. The depth in landmass scope, and character developmental options dwarf the majority of the single player cRPG experiences released in the last few years (based on original IPs – D&D gets complexity handed on a plate). Where is this venom coming from?

Why do I care, you ask? Well, #1) the success of Oblivion means the success for future titles by Bethesda *and* other developers looking for publishers to take a risk on something expansive (which means expensive). #2) Where is the harm in letting a game that genuinely looks visually astounding, that seems to be trying new things AND comes from a decent pedigree of past history/lore have a bone or two?

That’s it, my rant is over (if it even ranks as one). I registered to this forum not merely to ask these questions, however, but to hear why you guys take such a counterproductive stance on a game that hasn’t hurt anybody. Please, let me know..

Oh, and I know I’m a cunt and a tosser - so don’t even bother wasting the print space, I’ve beaten you to it.

Necropennis

Scholar
Good point :o
But I'm no Oblivion hater meself(although I agree that the game is doing a LOT of things wrong)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
... but after reading a rash of Oblivion/Bethesda related bashing

Alot of very good discussion and criticism on Oblivion are here if you look.

You also have to understand the Codex. It is like a giant pile of Shit... in which is buried a single brillant gem.

If you wade through all the shit, you can find some very good gems of discussion.
:D

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
#1) the success of Oblivion means the success for future titles by Bethesda *and* other developers looking for publishers to take a risk on something expansive (which means expensive).

That's not a bad thing unless 'expansive' is not the only thing you want in a RPG. Oblivion will be a good game. Whether it will be a good RPG is another issue. Morrowind was hugely successful. Oblivion will be hugely successful. But the industry will not take a punt on anything but clones of the gameplay and style as a result. eg the success of ww2 shooters led to the making of more ww2 shooters of the exact same type and style.

#2) Where is the harm in letting a game that genuinely looks visually astounding, that seems to be trying new things AND comes from a decent pedigree of past history/lore have a bone or two?

The problem is the recent pedigree of Bethesda. Daggerfall had flaws but was a good roleplaying game, Morrowind has flaws and is a bad roleplaying game. Which is Oblivion more likely to be like? If you look at the criticisms of Morrowind (we've not played Oblivion yet after all), then you'll see that for a roleplaying game many of us here feel it was a very unrewarding experience to play. It's like buying a Ferrari without an engine.

Not sure what you mean by throwing Oblivion a bone. Does it look visually fantastic? (Russian pictures aside) Yes, on the official screenshots it does. Does the combat sound like it is a vast improvement over Morrowind? Yes it does. Will stealth be interesting? I'm sure it will be. Do these things represent the totality of what makes a good roleplaying? Nope.

Not sure what our stance is on Oblivion as I haven't been told by the hive mind yet. Much of the criticism you will see on these boards of Morrowind (and presumably from what we have gleaned of Oblivion) is over player/NPC interaction and linear questlines. It's not counterproductive to highlight those issues when every single other take on Oblivion is "OMG r0x0r GFX". For most of the people here, graphics are at best a secondary consideration and for a large group of us, graphics aren't even that important (teh horror!).

@Twinfalls. Nah this post uses sentences and is well above the standard tripe which has been posted over the past few days.

Drakron

Arcane
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
, #1) the success of Oblivion means the success for future titles by Bethesda *and* other developers looking for publishers to take a risk on something expansive (which means expensive)

Except it does exactly the oposite ... it shows they can have their cake and eat it too because RPG "core" fans will buy it in order to keep the gender alive and they can have all the "casual" gamers buying with fad features and "easy to handle" basic gameplay mechanics.

Oblivion is a case of going "safer" ... so unless by sucess you mean "utter comercial failure" so the industry re-evaluates their investement decision and decides to take risks because there is no longer "safe" in streamline design things are not going to change.

#2) Where is the harm in letting a game that genuinely looks visually astounding, that seems to be trying new things AND comes from a decent pedigree of past history/lore have a bone or two?

A bone of what?

Besides RAI (not the italian TV and radio network) that looks a niffy automatic script system (but only useful for modders) we only hear about less features from other games in the series, half assed implemented features (ridding without combat) or streamline design.

Why sould we throw a bone to Bethsoft?

Its not like they are not making the game out of the kidness of their heart, they expect to make money and the people that work in there are getting a paycheck ... this is not 40 people making a game in their spare part with the own money, this is a multi-million investement of a company that expects to get their money back.

And no, Bethsoft does not have a history beyond making really buggy games since when someone mentions Bethsoft what comes to my mind is the near endless amount of patches that Daggerfall had and the fact Morrowind had a really POS engine does not make their history any better.

Data4

Arcane
Can't speak for the rest of the people here, but I don't consider myself too cool for Oblivion. Too smart, maybe. See, unlike 40% or whatever the figure was of Morrowind players, I found Caius Cosades. I bet every other regular here at the Codex that played Morrowind found him, too. It's the catering to people who probably wouldn't play this type of game that has me annoyed. It's like what they're saying is:

"Check this game out! It's kinda like Half-Life meets that movie that came out a few years ago, Lord of the Rings. Remember that? Anyway, you can sneak around like that dude in Splinter Cell, and the magic guy has a gun that shoots out of his walking stick. It's really kewl! Oh, and that guy that plays Captain Picard is in it, too!!!"

...all in an effort to get stupid people playing RPGs. Now, why do I care if stupid people play? Because the dumber the audience, the dumber the games, that's why. I've said it numerous times before, RPGs once were the genre of the geeks. As a proud geek, it sucks to see my beloved genre of choice become homogenized to be all things to all people. I know it's a business decision. More people playing means more revenues. But the cost? Games that have to be adjusted so the morons can feel like they've achieved something. Stupid people are funny in that they figure if they're unable to accomplish something in a game, the game must be broken. What better way to ease the technical support burden than by making the game as simple, non-cerebral, and twitch-based as possible.

I'm actually looking forward to Oblivion, but I'm not expecting it to be the "RPG for the next generation". Hype has this strange effect on me. Whenever someone says "It's going to be the bestest evar!!111" I automatically think "It's going to be the biggest bomb this side of Ishtar". To me, it'll be an entertaining action title in the same vein as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, or like Theif with a few more options and larger playing world.

I don't give a damn what anyone says, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is no more a RPG than Ashlee Simpson is talented.

-D4

Section8

Cipher
It's not that we're too cool for Oblivion, rather that Oblivion is too cool for us.

I haven't the energy to muster up a worthwhile reply, but I'll get there eventually.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Data4 said:
It's the catering to people who probably wouldn't play this type of game that has me annoyed. It's like what they're saying is:

"Check this game out! It's kinda like Half-Life meets that movie that came out a few years ago, Lord of the Rings. Remember that? Anyway, you can sneak around like that dude in Splinter Cell, and the magic guy has a gun that shoots out of his walking stick. It's really kewl! Oh, and that guy that plays Captain Picard is in it, too!!!"

...all in an effort to get stupid people playing RPGs. Now, why do I care if stupid people play? Because the dumber the audience, the dumber the games, that's why.
My thoughts exactly. How can I reasonably look forward to playing a game that is marketed as retard-friendly?
I'm still looking forward to playing it, but it's not reasonable :D .

feta

Novice
I'm a sad little gamer.
I will play oblivion while whining for not having anything better to play.

I'm starving and all I got to eat is shit. I'll have the green shit please because I like green better over the brown shit over there at the corner.

OverrideB1

Scholar
The game is being designed for the lowest possible denominator as a hand-holding, combat-orientated, action romp with a few RPG elements thrown in to keep the old-time fans of the TES series happy.

I might buy it when it hits the bargain bins - provided it isn't gonna cost me more than a fiver - but I'm certainly not forking over forty-odd quid for a game designed for fuckwits who couldn't find their own arse with both hands.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
I've flittered through these forums in passing a bit over the last few months, but after reading a rash of Oblivion/Bethesda related bashing (ironically, conducted principle by Fallout fans) I have to jump into the fray.
Interesting. See, if you had actually bothered reading what you say you've read, you'd be able to answer that "why" question you just asked.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Never the less, in this world increasingly devoid of cRPGs of any depth, I see people complaining about the one game that can put the genre back on the map.
The same way Diablo did? That spawned a whole swath of Action-RPGs. What would a first person, actiony combat RPG with no actual PC dialogue spawn?

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
In a time when people should be rejoicing over *not only* the release of a fairly in-depth cRPG, but the mainstream gaming media‘s attention to a genre normally spurned, I see page after page of people viciously attacking Bethesda and their work – presumably as a threat to something I can’t understand. Can you help me understand it?
Ignoring the "holier than thou" tone of your question, what you're basically saying here is that "you've got nothing else, so be happy". We don't work that way. I'm sure there are many here who will enjoy Oblivion for what it is and perhaps even play it a second time through this time (if Bethesda have managed to grasp the true concept of non-linearity) but what you'll find is most people here aren't fans of the "level up every skill until you're uber and can do everything", "it looks pretty" and "Patrick Stewart!" approach to RPGs which Bethesda takes. It really is that simple.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Ok, the game has been streamlined. This doesn’t make me happy either – but the changes appear minimal at worst.
You're right, the changes in Oblivion from Morrowind do appear minimal.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
The AI, which needs to be seen to be truly appreciated I feel,sounds like it could be very entertaining even if broken. The depth in landmass scope, and character developmental options dwarf the majority of the single player cRPG experiences released in the last few years (based on original IPs – D&D gets complexity handed on a plate).
Of course it all needs to be seen to be truly appreciated and I'm sure the 17^9 acres of landscape is going to look really nice. And sure, there are more character options in this than any RPGs that have been released in the last few years but then again, that's not very hard to do, is it? But what kind of dialogue are we going to have? A some-what advanced version of the lame wiki system that Morrowind had with promises that it'll be better this time. What kind of story are we going to have? One from people who still can't understand how people can call Morrowind linear. They still think that game is totally non-linear because you can wander around everywhere.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Where is this venom coming from?
Idiots like you making posts like this again and again and again? To be more specific "I've just found this site from some link and I've read like, 2 whole threads and I can't be arsed reading anymore than that so I'll just ask my question in a better than you manner while pretending to be above all that". Then of course, there's the people who get straight to the point and just post "OMG Oblivion roks u all suk!" but we have fun with those types too.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Why do I care, you ask? Well, #1) the success of Oblivion means the success for future titles by Bethesda *and* other developers looking for publishers to take a risk on something expansive (which means expensive).
... and that's going to be ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL (in all seriousness) for all those fans of the hundred thousand or so "level everything up and explore" games that Oblivion will spawn. Again, those aren't the kind of RPGs most of us here are really interested in seeing though.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Why do we need to be the ones to give it a bone? Go and count the number of sites out there that are dreaming over Oblivion. We're not one of them because it's not a game we appreciate as a "True RPG" going by what we've seen at this stage. Given we're a site all about "True RPGs", it kind of makes sense for us to push our own little bandwagon doesn't it and lament anything which doesn't go far enough? This whole site is about pushing so-called RPG developers to truly make a better RPG. It's not about rejoicing in fun little exploration games. There is a reason we don't post news about GTA: San Andreas after all.

Rhapsody'n Blue said:
I registered to this forum not merely to ask these questions, however, but to hear why you guys take such a counterproductive stance on a game that hasn’t hurt anybody. Please, let me know..
How is our stance counterproductive? Especially if it leads to RPG developers pushing the genre further, taking note and actually advancing some of the real RPG aspects of their games? Again I ask, how is that counterproductive?

Mefi said:
But the industry will not take a punt on anything but clones of the gameplay and style as a result. eg the success of ww2 shooters led to the making of more ww2 shooters of the exact same type and style.

You speak as if the industry has a choice in where their rpg titles come from. You have a point regarding the Maddens, GTAs or DOAs of the world. These properties can breed little bunny-rat clones at phenomenal rates. I'd put my money on the superficial
and quick nature of their gameplay as why ( not to say some of them couldn't be fun, however).

RPGs, on the other-hand, are expansive - not just in physical square-mileage but also in story scope, history, item design, or some other level. Only action RPGs (like the console Baldur's Gate titles) have ever felt hollow or shallow. These titles, although tenuously connected to the genre, wouldn't stem a real market demand for RPGs if such an outcry could happen in America (I won't speak for the rest of you guys :)).

My point? Well, any cRPGs I've disliked in the past 7 years has been disliked on merits of aesthetics and never on feelings of redundancy. It's not your average developer that can be entice to slave those sleepless hours needed to make even the most basic (non-action) cRPG.

The 90s cRPG craze boomed into life on the financial success of Baldur's Gate and closed when developers stopped feeding the demand - not because of market was saturation with poor titles. Why this occurred could be a decent thread in-and-of itself.

I hear you, mate. It's a possible problem, and was a very real one back in the Bard's Tale 2 days - but I think the technical constraints of doing what the market demands of cRPGs (20+ average hours, enough items and creatures to fill those play requirements ) is enough to keep those not dedicated to it at bay.

Mefi said:
The problem is the recent pedigree of Bethesda. Daggerfall had flaws but was a good roleplaying game, Morrowind has flaws and is a bad roleplaying game. Which is Oblivion more likely to be like? If you look at the criticisms of Morrowind (we've not played Oblivion yet after all), then you'll see that for a roleplaying game many of us here feel it was a very unrewarding experience to play. It's like buying a Ferrari without an engine.

Before we go any further, why was Morrowind a bad cRPG? For you, I mean.

I can agree that Morrowind has its flaws, and gets boring at times - but that pacing isn't necessarily bad just dated. I actually give them points for having the balls to put something like that out. That's like Hollywood putting out a direct film adaptation of a Dostoevsky novel. Actually, the hollywood analogy is quite fitting: Morrowind played on my senses like a decent 70s or 60s film - the pacing is slow, and it sometimes feel painful for that fact, but ultimately the quality is rewarding (think Deerhunter, or any other drama from that period).

Also, how far did you play into Morrowind?

Mefi said:
Not sure what you mean by throwing Oblivion a bone. Does it look visually fantastic? (Russian pictures aside) Yes, on the official screenshots it does. Does the combat sound like it is a vast improvement over Morrowind? Yes it does. Will stealth be interesting? I'm sure it will be. Do these things represent the totality of what makes a good roleplaying? Nope.

That's just it, isn't it? "Good roleplaying" is another one of these cultural buzz words, like 'next gen', that everybody accuses everybody else of not understand - but only because we each have our own subjective definition of it. That begs the question:

What makes good roleplaying for you?

I spoke to a bloke on another forum earlier today and I'd like to reprint his words in lue of my own:

"You know what?

I liked the imaginary dream world Morrowind created. The game wasn't much of a game at all. What we all purchased and enjoyed was a tool for the imagination. It was a block of wood and a carving knife wrapped in a DVD package with a price tag of $50. I liked the fact that I could create my own adventure."

Morrowind was what you made of it, much like a gold box SSI title, Bards Tale, Wizardy, etc.

Much of the criticism you will see on these boards of Morrowind (and presumably from what we have gleaned of Oblivion) is over player/NPC interaction and linear questlines.

What I've seen looked pretty vicious. Far less civil than what we're having. :)

I agree that one must discuss, but no game will embody a real pinnical of perfection (my tongue was firmly in cheek with my Fallout rant above). Criticism is one thing, but attacking it is another. My point is the community is undercutting itself by not supporting something that is at least 60% more of a RPG than 99% of the titles released. You have noticed we're in quite the drought at the moment?

Jaesun - I've seen what you mean, but I guess those tiny little gems were what subconsciously motivated me to post here today. :) So many fallout avatars, so little time!

Mefi said:
@Twinfalls. Nah this post uses sentences and is well above the standard tripe which has been posted over the past few days.

You make me blush. :)

edit: so far, this was the most fun to reply to..

kris

Arcane
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
Criticism is one thing, but attacking it is another. My point is the community is undercutting itself by not supporting something that is at least 60% more of a RPG than 99% of the titles released. You have noticed we're in quite the drought at the moment?

Stop telling people what to think. Instead of going about like all others about where the general opinion lies you could participate in dicsussion about the game and argument for and against the game in whatever aspect you think is good or bad. You may have not noticed, but the so called game reviewers is nothing more than hype/advertising for the game for me a site where people bring forth critisizm is far more valueable than they are. The game is hardly going to die due to what anyone writes here.

I must say I find it strange you post this post to "us", when maybe you should instead post it to them making the complaints about this and other games that end up them being worse or less RPG. That is if you actually think Fallout is a great RPG, in that case I don't see why are on to us, instead go to the official forum and tell the ones catering for the game to be less like you want it to stop with their sillynessess.

Had you been reading you would have realised that people do say positive things here too, but like with the negative it is just opinions.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I never felt like I could create my own adventure in Morrowind. Poncing about in meadows collecting weeds and killing misplaced demons and suicidal animals, with the occasional trip to a local dungeon or tomb, it's just not something I value as highly as others. Morrowind is the kind of game that makes me stop and think about why I'm playing it, and I can't come up with a worthwhile answer. I get no satisfaction from merely enhancing a virtual alter ego.

I don't buy into the idea of supporting a game you don't really care for, for the sake of the genre/franchise or whatnot. I was told by numerous Interplay fanboys/retards that I should support Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, because it's success would mean more success for Fallout, and more Fallout games yada yada yada. Thankfully it didn't succeed, but my point is, if I start supporting Oblivion, it'll be one more voice to the choir that makes Bethesda think they're on the right track, and I don't want them to think that. It's really that simple.

DarkUnderlord said:
Interesting. See, if you had actually bothered reading what you say you've read, you'd be able to answer that "why" question you just asked.

What can I say, I'm sweet. I'm a regular Julie Andrews when it comes to letting people speak for themselves.

Maybe that's my mistake; a weakness - perchance? :)

Seriously though, my *real* why, which is in the meat of my main post, was: "I see page after page of people viciously attacking Bethesda and their work – presumably as a threat to something I can’t understand. Can you help me understand it?" and no - I've yet to understand why criticism of something close to your heart would ever turn to hate. The hate is what I'm posting about, to understand why people would not wish to support a rare title that has the mutli-million invested to make it excel - yet lives up to being a little more than a new action title (it does cost money nowadays to develop deep titles, it's not like they spent it just on graphics and new cars). It has gotten a little more action infused, but it's not like Morrowind didn't have twitch combat either - it was merely done poorly. I don't see how any change announced makes the game look less of an RPG than Morrowind or Daggerfall. Not all RPGs have dialog options like Fallout.. (just the REALLY kick ass ones :)).

I said: "in this world increasingly devoid of cRPGs of any depth, I see people complaining about the one game that can put the genre back on the map."

Then Darkunderlord said: The same way Diablo did? That spawned a whole swath of Action-RPGs. What would a first person, actiony combat RPG with no actual PC dialogue spawn?

You really think Oblivion and Diablo are even in the same league? You know that's a piss poor argument, and I know you know why.

Again, I said: I see page after page of people viciously attacking Bethesda and their work – presumably as a threat to something I can’t understand. Can you help me understand it?

Ignoring the "holier than thou" tone of your question,

Actually, that was a snarky tone, not a "holier than though" one.

what you're basically saying here is that "you've got nothing else, so be happy". We don't work that way.

You don't seem to get it that we're all minorities here - minorities in a dying genre. When the native american's were defeated on the Plains it had more to do with fractionalization between the tribes (thus an inability to raise a unified front) than any superior techniques (beyond disease) the settler brought with them. Yeah, a bit of a non-sequitur but one with significance.

I'm not saying "eat your shit and enjoy" (to quote feta :)) - I'm saying you might want to support a fellow team of people dedicated to putting out games that are still at least 60% RPG in the traditional sense. Otherwise - divide and conquer. There will always be a FAR higher demand for non-RPG titles - and this creates a financial incentive to NOT back developers looking to drain funds into massive projects like this (why should they when racing game #345 or street fighter 54 can rake in easy money). Personally, I feel Bethesda is 80% old school - inspite of the fact they're no Black Isle or Troika.

Let me say this, ten years ago I sounded just like you - then I watched studio after studio shut down doors. Expecting others to fill the void, it slowly dawned on me that nobody was rising to that challenge. Today, I can't name 4 amazing developers for RPG titles. Nothing in the realm of Black Isles, amongst others.

most people here aren't fans of the "level up every skill until you're uber and can do everything", "it looks pretty" and "Patrick Stewart!" approach to RPGs which Bethesda takes. It really is that simple.

Wait.. what stops you from merely not leveling up every skill? It's very possible to beat any RPG without maxing, even morrowind - just stick to the main quest. WHen you beat it, looks like you can relax in accomplishment. You don't have o keep exploring every isle on the map. Should the game be penalized because it gives you to much freedom to sandbox? Just play without the min/max attitude, and set your priorities. Eitherway, you're argument is against end-game aspects - something you wouldn't experience for at least 50 hours into it. Most games get boring at 20 hours, so even 30 isn't bad. Nobody maxed Morrowind in less than 20 hours without direct effort to do so.

See, all your issues turn to minor arguments inflated by hyperbole upon examination. No offense intended, I'm just curious if you had noticed.

And sure, there are more character options in this than any RPGs that have been released in the last few years but then again, that's not very hard to do, is it? But what kind of dialogue are we going to have? A some-what advanced version of the lame wiki system that Morrowind had with promises that it'll be better this time. What kind of story are we going to have? One from people who still can't understand how people can call Morrowind linear. They still think that game is totally non-linear because you can wander around everywhere.

Now this is a good argument, and I'm serious about that. This is the way I wish your whole reply was structured, opposed to reading as vaguely hostile attacks on what I initially posted. Those are very real concerns, the dialog and all, but I don't think TES has ever been an RPG system based around that aspect very much.

Final Fantasy IS an RPG, it focuses on Story.
Fallout IS an RPG, it focuses on Dialog.
TES ARE RPGs, they focus on Character Development.
(and, grudgingly, I could say Diablo was an RPG, it focused on Action).

Fallout, as fun as it was, had a fairly thin story. Story, in these kind of RPGs take a backseat to Character and Dialog. TES doesn't eschew Dialog completely - no more than Fallout eschewed Story - but that's not the kind of RPG they design.

Maybe it's dawning on me now.. It's like the old parable of the blind men exploring a camel from different anatomical directions. We all love this animal, which we call RPGs, but this animal represents different qualities to different people. A real RPG is the synergy of these attriibutes (Story, Dialog, Character Development, Inventory, & Action).

I can understand your desire for another Dialog rpg to arise (Arcanum was the last I played), but the fact another rare beast calling itself RPG isn't 100% of this breed isn't any reason to castigate it.

monkey poo said:
Idiots like you making posts like this again and again and again?

There ya go ruining the warm fuzzy I was starting to grow for ya again, tisk - tisk. Civility beyond you? Shots like this just make your position seem more desperate - maybe it works with children but not anybody weaned on good debate. Keep your defense mechanisms to yourself, I've been out of highschool for years now. :)

To be more specific "I've just found this site from some link and I've read like, 2 whole threads and I can't be arsed reading anymore than that so I'll just ask my question in a better than you manner while pretending to be above all that".

Well, if you mean speaking like an illiterate child, tossing off comically dead epithets, then ya - I'm above that. If I'm going to call you a toss, I'll do it with a bit more flare.

Why do we need to be the ones to give it a bone? Go and count the number of sites out there that are dreaming over Oblivion. We're not one of them because it's not a game we appreciate as a "True RPG" going by what we've seen at this stage.

What's a "True RPG"? Which game defines that? Even in P&P, you have games like ShadowRun (gibson-esque d&d), Paranoia (marx brothers meets sci-fi marxism), Rifts (across the map weirdness), and other that each focus - to lesser or greater degrees - on one of those attributes I defined above.

How is our stance counterproductive? Especially if it leads to RPG developers pushing the genre further, taking note and actually advancing some of the real RPG aspects of their games? Again I ask, how is that counterproductive?

I've intimated why I feel its counterproductive. To mirror your opening, I could say "if you read my post like you claim, then maybe you'd understand why" but I'm not prickish enough to point that parrallel out. :) Seriously though, It's because of the RPGs being a dying animal argument I mentoned above.

Much like black people lived with an intense sense of solidarity during the civil rights era, any besieged subcultural minority is more productive in unity than division. I could use the labor movement of the 1930s, raver enclaves of the early 1990s or the Diggers of the 1960s as further modern examples.

Historically that has been true and it's true here.

*Whew* .. that was one Long ASS reply. You guys still awake? You really made it this far? Damn, wish I had a cookie to give ya. Take care, my friend .. :)

hiciacit

Liturgist
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
I've flittered through these forums in passing a bit over the last few months,
Where is this venom coming from?

... to hear why you guys take such a counterproductive stance on a game that hasn’t hurt anybody. Please, let me know..

If you had payed more attention during your 'filtering', you would have known the answer to your questions. In short: for copping out on some innovative possibilities and taking a great series in all the wrong directions.

kris said:
Stop telling people what to think.

HA, you do realize you're trying to alter the way I think by that very statement - right?

Heh, you're funny.

hiciacit said:
If you had payed more attention during your 'filtering', you would have known the answer to your questions. In short: for copping out on some innovative possibilities and taking a great series in all the wrong directions.

And if you had paid more attention, you would have noticed I wrote "flittering" not "filtering".

I saw all of what you just said, what I wanted to understand was why the limited amount of modification would make people who are probably dying for a RPG half as complex as Oblivion turn around and villify it like it boofed your dead granny. The emotionalism I've read in some poster's remarks (*cough* Vault Dweller *cough*) seemed way of the sanity mark. I mean, it is an RPG and a vast one compared to anything released in the last 3 years (for a non P&P ip).

Drakron - You gave me a very serious reply, and I thank you for that.

Sadly, the last two wiped me for tonight - but I appreciate your civility and sincerity, even if we don't see eye to eye.

As Jaesun has now famously said, these little gems seem few and far between and you post is apart of that experience.

btw - Kris, people may say good things but only an idiot can't see the negative (counter hype?) far outweights the positive on a passing glance. Having to hunting for a type of opinion is the same as it not really being there.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Actually, that was a snarky tone, not a "holier than though" one.
etc.
You are nowhere near as cute (or refined) as you seem to think you are.

Here's a quick primer:
How To Understand The Codex Hive Mind<tm>
by Claxtonius Maximus
The Hive Mind<tm> is not a complicated animal. Oblivion isn't what we want, and we aren't going to pretend that it is just because it's the only thing out there, or any other irrelevant reason. There are many specific things and many nonspecific things, which we look for in the kind of game that we enjoy and call RPGs. Through previews, dev diaries, whatever, we find Oblivion not only lacking, but heading in the wrong direction.

As for being counter-productive, if we resigned ourselves to settling, we would never get what we want. Also, I'm not entirely certain that the survival of companies who dumb their games down every generation or produce "action-RPGs" is in the best interests of "real" RPGs.

www.tubgirl.com

Zomg

Arbiter
My favorite hobby is literally parsing obvious misuses of the to/too/two homophones.

Section8

Cipher
Right.

I fail to see the irony. The Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games are vastly different beasts. It's like saying a fan of Formula 1 sims should also like auto combat games like Twisted Metal, just because they both involve driving.

No, I'm not a TES fanboy - although I'm sure somebody will tar me with that epithet. I'm actually convinced that one, and only one, game represents the singular culmination of advanced crpg design - and that game's called Fallout. I'll happily bear the distinction of being a tool for Tim Cain's quest for world domination. From establishing woefully underused conventions such as allowing attributes to effect dialog options, to the theme (wonderfully devoid of elves, yet sprinkled with “old world charms”), Fallout and – to a lesser degree – the Infinity Engine titles sadly mark the high water crest of the mid 90s cRPG boom. This isn’t news to anybody here so I’ll shut up about my past. Suffice to say I’m dorky enough to remember Wasteland and all the SSI gold box games as being new (hell, add Zork and other Infocom titles to that list as well).

Certainly not a bad pedigree for coming here, and at least we're on common ground. It makes a welcome change from getting idiots whose first RPG was KOTOR coming in and trying to tell us what RPG fans should be thinking.

Never the less, in this world increasingly devoid of cRPGs of any depth, I see people complaining about the one game that can put the genre back on the map. In a time when people should be rejoicing over *not only* the release of a fairly in-depth cRPG, but the mainstream gaming media‘s attention to a genre normally spurned, I see page after page of people viciously attacking Bethesda and their work – presumably as a threat to something I can’t understand. Can you help me understand it?

Sure, if Oblivion is the raging commercial success most expect it to be, then it may set a precedent for publishers to decide RPG development is something to pursue. But do you honestly think that someone seeking to follow any trend Oblivion may set will see "traditional" RPGs in the same light? Or will they quite rightly say "Graphically intensive, first-person action/RPGs" are a great economic prospect?

We've seen it all before, like when the success of Baldur's Gate "revived" RPGs. Did we get a great batch of RPGs, or did we get a glut of similar titles? Likewise, did the incredible success of Diablo ensure the development of deeper games, or did it merely spawn a spate of uninspired clones? We're still seeing Diablo clones nearly ten years on, and barely any of them have even managed to improve on Diablo, let alone create a solid RP experience.

So basically, we've seen and heard it all before, and honestly, I think most of us would rather less games of higher quality than more games of lesser quality. We'd rather be treated as the considerable niche audience that we are than live off the scraps of "RPG-lite" made for the casual gamer.

We're not part of Oblivion's target audience, so why would we be accounted for by the games who seek to emulate Oblivion and target that same, proven audience?

Ok, the game has been streamlined. This doesn’t make me happy either – but the changes appear minimal at worst. The AI, which needs to be seen to be truly appreciated I feel, sounds like it could be very entertaining even if broken. The depth in landmass scope, and character developmental options dwarf the majority of the single player cRPG experiences released in the last few years (based on original IPs – D&D gets complexity handed on a plate). Where is this venom coming from?

Well part of the venom isn't even spurred on by the game itself. There's considerable resentment toward Bethesda for their pursuit of "the idiot gamer." Once upon a time, we were their target audience, and now they're targetting a less discerning mob because they care more about profit than us. I can understand their motivations, but it still makes them cunts for doing so.

We're also seeing more and more evidence of "streamlining" with every shred of information the iron fist of marketing lets slip. Between that and the tight lipped nature of the Bethesda PR department, we're understandably suspicious that the information blackout is for exactly this reason. We can't help but feel we're being disingenuously strung along to boost the sales figures of a game we won't actually like.

And certainly there are some improvement being made, but they're being made with regard to Bethesda's intended demographic, not us. Sure, it will probably make it a better game than Morrowind, but here we're all about roleplaying, and we're more than happy to openly criticise the roleplaying merits of a game even if we otherwise enjoy it for what it is.

As far as the breadth of the game and it's freedom, we have caveats, and they're discussed often. You can find the most recent revival of the discussion from this post onward.

#1) the success of Oblivion means the success for future titles by Bethesda *and* other developers looking for publishers to take a risk on something expansive (which means expensive).

Perhaps, but historical evidence points to those future titles being inferior imitations of what they seek to emulate. Also, see my above point for our thoughts on "meaningless freedom."

The harm comes from the fact that many of us believe that the incredible amount of resources consumed by the enhancements to aspects like the visuals, the audio and such would be better spent on less superficial enhancements. Of the other "new things" the game is trying, most seem to agree that the RAI shows great potential, but doesn't particular contribute to the game's RPing merits.

As for the decent pedigree, that all kind of goes out the window when the game becomes a fucking crossbred mongrel. (see Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel)*

That’s it, my rant is over (if it even ranks as one). I registered to this forum not merely to ask these questions, however, but to hear why you guys take such a counterproductive stance on a game that hasn’t hurt anybody. Please, let me know...

Are "yes men" productive in any way, shape or form? If all anyone ever hears is praise, then they become blinded to their flaws. Criticism is an effective tool, even if it isn't always "constructive."

It's also hard to swallow the notion that Oblivion hasn't "hurt anybody." The success of Oblivion will not ensure more quality RPGs. At best, it will "inspire" other developers to target the same audience that we are no longer a part of.

Oh, and I know I’m a cunt and a tosser - so don’t even bother wasting the print space, I’ve beaten you to it.

Believe me, mate, you're about 100x more articulate than the usual "y u guys hate ob?!!!?!!1" posters we get here, so that's why you're actually getting civil responses from our own lineup of cunts and tossers.

RPGs, on the other-hand, are expansive - not just in physical square-mileage but also in story scope, history, item design, or some other level. Only action RPGs (like the console Baldur's Gate titles) have ever felt hollow or shallow.

To understand us, you must understand that we consider a good many RPGs "hollow or shallow." Morrowind may have had an amazing amount of freedom, but it's almost all inconsequential and superficial, and that's a resounding hollow for many of us. You need to look no further than the common stance that Fallout is a superior game to Fallout 2 despite being much smaller in scope, for proof of that.

My point? Well, any cRPGs I've disliked in the past 7 years has been disliked on merits of aesthetics and never on feelings of redundancy. It's not your average developer that can be entice to slave those sleepless hours needed to make even the most basic (non-action) cRPG.

The 90s cRPG craze boomed into life on the financial success of Baldur's Gate and closed when developers stopped feeding the demand - not because of market was saturation with poor titles. Why this occurred could be a decent thread in-and-of itself.

Well, personally, I can't help but think that the production values (say nothing of the execution) of Baldur's Gate set an unreasonable precedent and expectation from the wider audience it garnered. It ushered in a new generation of RPG fans that care more about visuals, voiced audio and the qualities we "traditionalists" find superficial.

So, with the mounting production costs associated, RPGs become less and less viable as a profitable venture. And really, that's all the more reason to try and target the "hardcore" audience who isn't so fickle as to demand multi-million dollar productions. But, the commercial ventures don't consider us in the scheme of things.

I can agree that Morrowind has its flaws, and gets boring at times - but that pacing isn't necessarily bad just dated. I actually give them points for having the balls to put something like that out. That's like Hollywood putting out a direct film adaptation of a Dostoevsky novel. Actually, the hollywood analogy is quite fitting: Morrowind played on my senses like a decent 70s or 60s film - the pacing is slow, and it sometimes feel painful for that fact, but ultimately the quality is rewarding (think Deerhunter, or any other drama from that period).

Pacing is one thing, but aside from exploration, there wasn't really anything interesting to do. Morrowind was not slow paced, it was just bland. The comparison I use - "Morrowind is kind of like a fantasy counterpart to some hybrid of Google Earth, Wikipedia and Heromaker, with added support for third party content."

It's like reading an atlas for pleasure as opposed to an involving work of fiction.

Also, how far did you play into Morrowind?

I've pushed myself innumerable times, and the furthest I've ever progressed is to the point where Caius decides to up and leave. By that point there's absolutely no challenge to anything I do, and the only motivation to continue playing is to follow a linear central plot that doesn't grip me, or provide any motivation beyond the metagaming ideal of "I have to finish the main quest!"

That's just it, isn't it? "Good roleplaying" is another one of these cultural buzz words, like 'next gen', that everybody accuses everybody else of not understand - but only because we each have our own subjective definition of it. That begs the question:

What makes good roleplaying for you?

There's on for the ages. "Good Roleplaying" around here does have a (contentious) meaning, because it's been discussed often enough that we all have an idea of each others subjective definitions, and a better idea of any consensus that forms.

It's not something I'm ready to get into now, but I'm sure somebody can point you to the trail of threads in the Codex's history.

"I liked the imaginary dream world Morrowind created. The game wasn't much of a game at all. What we all purchased and enjoyed was a tool for the imagination. It was a block of wood and a carving knife wrapped in a DVD package with a price tag of $50. I liked the fact that I could create my own adventure."

Doesn't float with me. I could have a "roleplaying experience" just as compelling with nothing but The Imperial Library at my disposal. Granted that information is all sourced from the Elder Scrolls games, including Morrowind, but as your mate says "(Morrowind) wasn't much of a game at all."

My point is the community is undercutting itself by not supporting something that is at least 60% more of a RPG than 99% of the titles released. You have noticed we're in quite the drought at the moment?

Not really. We're idealists. We'd rather see the rare 95% gem than yet another tepid half-arsed effort. And we fail to see how encouraging mediocrity will in anyway ensure changes in our favour.

Anyway, I hope that helps you understand our point of view a little better.

--

* But at least Fallout Tactics was a tentative new direction that could be compartmentalised away from the next RPG in the series. Oblivion is a direct continuation of a line, and so the chances of it reverting back to it's original roots are a bit fucking slim.

Sisay

Liturgist
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go buy Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. I heard buying it will help Fallout 3 get made. Oh wait, that silly action game was the reason F3 got cancelled in the first place. Maybe this whole "buy crappy games so the multi-million dollar corporation in all its mercy makes a game worth buying so you can give them more money" scheme doesn't work that well after all.

P.S Why are you too cool for posting in any of the other two million threads about Oblivion?

kris

Arcane
Rhapsody'n Blue said:
kris said:
Stop telling people what to think.

HA, you do realize you're trying to alter the way I think by that very statement - right?

Heh, you're funny.

btw - Kris, people may say good things but only an idiot can't see the negative (counter hype?) far outweights the positive on a passing glance. Having to hunting for a type of opinion is the same as it not really being there.

No, I tried to alter the way you express yourself.

Well, almost all other sites cover of the game is more nothing but unadultered masturbation, so this site could be said to try to outweight other sites. If you want it to contain more positiveness then I suggest you start contributing instead of making another "whine about whiners" thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom