Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any game that you guys DON'T hate?

sumguy

Novice
Just out of curiousity, is there any game you guys don't hate? In your review of 2005 there wasn't a single subgenre of RPG that you guys didn't bash. Even the classic RPGs got insulted by you guys. It's one thing to provide critisism, but entirely another to insult everything. If you don't like RPGs, then don't make a website about them, but literally every thing RPG related gets immediatelly shot down by you guys.

If you don't include Eastern story based RPGs, console RPGs like bioware's, all out open RPGs like Elder Scrolls (not comenting on your opinion of Oblivion, never played it so I can't say) action RPGs(understandable), text based, or old classics that made the genre popular to begin with (D&D) then what type of RPGs are there?

Section8

Cipher
Just out of curiousity, is there any game you guys don't hate? In your review of 2005 there wasn't a single subgenre of RPG that you guys didn't bash. Even the classic RPGs got insulted by you guys. It's one thing to provide critisism, but entirely another to insult everything. If you don't like RPGs, then don't make a website about them, but literally every thing RPG related gets immediatelly shot down by you guys.

Well, 2005 wasn't exactly much of a year for RPGs, even for the "less hardcore." However, for our little subset, it's been an atrocious year, with nothing even coming close to what we want from an RPG.

Also, just because we criticise the current poor offerings, and also over-rated past titles, doesn't mean we "don't like RPGs." It's like saying someone who wasn't a fan of the 3 Star Wars prequels, but loved the original trilogy, "doesn't like Star Wars."

I can't speak for all of us, but the general tone seems to be that we don't like the current incarnation of tepid, homogenised fantasy games with stats, tailored for the casual gamer. And we don't like the way they're headed.

If you don't include Eastern story based RPGs, console RPGs like bioware's, all out open RPGs like Elder Scrolls (not comenting on your opinion of Oblivion, never played it so I can't say) action RPGs(understandable), text based, or old classics that made the genre popular to begin with (D&D) then what type of RPGs are there?

Well, it's site policy to only cover PC RPGs with a single player component. And that basically means anything on the PC that wants to call itself an RPG (despite Volourn's criticisms :P) including games like Fable.

As for what we do like, you'll find that a good many of us do like "old classics that made the genre popular to begin with (D&D)*," although we're also willing to critically analyse them and consider what can improve. Have a read through the forums, and you'll find there's a lot of other discussion beyond the criticisms of the Year in Review article.

You'll also find far too many threads suspiciously similar to this one. Be thankful you actually get at least one civil response.

* By this, I mean Gold Box games. Which were great for what they were. If you meant Baldur's Gate and it's ilk that "revitalised" the genre, then you'll meet more criticism than praise.

obediah

Erudite
The Sword 88 said:
If they hated Morrwind then there is something very wrong with them. They may be uncurablely screwed up.

Nah, it's a quick fix. Buy the Friends box set for any season. Put it in your DVD player, and press play. Then smack yourself in the head with a hammer until it's funny.

corvax

Augur
OK, this is coming from one of the few people on this boards that truly enjoyed Morrowind and at the same time thinks that Fallout, Torment, and Arcanum are the Holy Trinity of post 1997 RPGs. Once and for all, as a Morrowind fan myself, you got to be truly a dumbfuck if you don't see the very obvious flaws of the game being rightfully criticized here. Amongst others they include: no dialogue, lifeless world, sterile npcs, linear plot (a-b-c-d), very little variety in terms of achieving a goal in different ways, crappy combat. Now of course there are some who just say "MW sucks, I hate TES, I hate Bethesda, Big Brother is watching, whatever." If you let them get to you, you fail at life.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The Sword 88 said:
If they hated Morrwind then there is something very wrong with them. They may be uncurablely screwed up.

Hello. It's nice to see you using the internet and clever you for figuring out how to register on these boards.Sadly you have mistaken RPGcodex.com for elderscrolls.com. Why not register there before you catch the loathsome disease known as 'critical thinking' from us?

Take care and mom said to be in bed by 7.

gromit

Arcane
Ha, yeah, sometimes I wonder if some of the people here have had any fun with a game for years... over the last few, strictly in terms of the many flavors of RPG, I personally enjoyed KotoR2, ToEE, Bloodlines, Morrowind, Boiling Point (when I could get the damn thing to run,) and maybe one or two that don't spring to mind at the current. I had fun with the first few hours of Fable, but I'm glad I'm not the one who paid for it. Heh, is my list really that small? Scary. Thank Christ I like more than just RPGs.

Like I'd expect with more than a few here, it really is less of an issue with sub-genres (outside of action-rpgs, which always come off as bogged-down action games or very fudgy RPGs to me,) and more of an issue of either general quality or the game striking your personal taste. For instance, Hammer & Sickle's design ethic is great on paper, and close to that of my ideal RPG, but the implementation isn't very impressive so far. On the opposite side of things, a game like KotoR2 can have many, many mechanics that make me cringe and weep, but the themes, interactions, and opportunities for, and type of, roleplay can keep me hooked.

Also, The Sword 88:
a) Doesn't being number 88 preclude using the article "The?" :D
b) That kind of posting doesn't help much. Whether you agree with the general sentiments here or not, admitting that we do get kind of rude around here at times, at least when we talk likes / dislikes we'll try to dissect the game a little, and find out which elements stuck with us or turned us off. The whole "No, I like this game, so you're wrong" routine is a waste of everyone's time, be it the one who posts a reply frothing for vengeance, or the person who takes time to sign up and make a post that really doesn't say anything at all. Hell, feel free to find any of the many threads where we pick apart some of the "Codex favorites;" we clearly don't hate those, but it helps us figure out what draws us to them in light of their failures, and I've even ended one of those discussions appreciating the "victim game" more than I did before.

Am I wasting my time replying to you? Well, maybe. But I always like to give people at least one chance. I'm usually not "on anyone's side" in many of the topics, but I'd love to see some well-written arguments against the local majority, if not to change minds entirely, then to demonstrate what it is about any particular game that either resonates with you or turns you off. No one learns anything, except perhaps refining their already-held beliefs, when every time there's a disagreement we all get snotty at each other. It just gets boring when everyone either agrees on "the big issues" or pulls an LOL YOU'RE STUPID

Section8 said:
Be thankful you actually get at least one civil response.
I'm pleasantly surprised that three of us have decided to play nice so far. Is this the newer, gentler Codex? ;)

Mantiis

Cipher
Hah! So apparently the gold box games were good rpgs and yet morrowind is akin to fable.

It is interesting how the people on this server think.

kris

Arcane
Petey_the_Skid said:
They like Fallout, some Spiderweb Games and those godawful roguelikes...at least as far as I can tell.

Had thinking been part of your abilities you would have realised this site houses individuals with different opinions.

Hah! So apparently the gold box games were good rpgs and yet morrowind is akin to fable.

I liked them back in the day, but mostly because there was not much else at that time. They where to combat heavy, especially for my current tastes. Morrowind features a world without people, no NPC of value whatsoever from I saw. I got bored quickly and never touched it since.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If it counts for anything, I hate roguelikes with really shitty graphics like ASCII characters. I'm also not into the Spiderweb Games. I do like Fallout though.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
If I liked Morrowind then there is something very wrong with me. I may be uncurablely screwed up.
Walking slowly, walking slowly, walking very slowly, it's a cliffracer, click-click-click, cliffracer is dead, walking slowly, walking slowly, walking very slowly...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Open console. Change running speed to 500% Change jumping ability to 500% Run very fast. Jump very high. Wheee! Meet a cliff racer. Jump away, jump away!!

About a good game I don't hate... I'd have to second Pong. Other than that there's Tetris. For RPGs there's the Gold Box games, the Fallout games of course, Planescape: Torment of course, Daggerfall, Darklands... And a lot of other nice games to play with yourself. Oohh!!

HardCode

Erudite
The Sword 88 said:

Welcome to the Codex! Feel free to post all of your thoughts HERE.

HardCode

Erudite
sumguy said:

There's a game I really, really adore It's called "Flame the TES fanboy Fucktard". Wanna play?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Between the lot of us I'm certain that there is not a game that we don't hate.
Between the lot of us I'm certain there is not an rpg we don't like.

Work that one out.

My initial urge is to call you a dumbass, but I guess I shouldn't be too annoyed at you labelling all of us together like some kind of hivemind. People have always done that (including certain staff and regs), hence a couple of items in my sig.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
sumrepetitiveguy said:
you guys you guys you guys you guys you guys
I like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. Everything else is the devil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom