Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... try3494628

When I play an RPG, I want to do exactly that: ROLEPLAY. I don't want to get bogged down by statistics and streamlining my character, because it just feels like a burden to me. Morrowind had too many skills that I couldn't keep track of half of them, and I feel it detracted from the game. I just want to chop up an orc or throw a fireball. Why do I need to fiddle with two dozen skills in order to do that? That's not role-playing; that's just silly.

So, in the end, I've condensed these 20 skills into four core skills, which are much more elegant and easy to understand, and won't get in the way of Oblivion's core gameplay. They are:

Hacking & Slashing
Staying Alive
Zapping
Looting

There. That's a list I can live with. It is more modern than the 20 skill system and I believe will appeal to a much wider modern audience who appreciates elegance of complexity, wouldn't you agree?

Haha.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Post your favourite TES forums thread here
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 194693&hl=

This week when i entered this lovely forum i noticed some threads that really made me mad...

Threads like:
-Oblivion will be a letdown
-Oblivion is deserted, a few npc's
-Oblivion characters look like sh#t, see the uncany valley
-Oblivion too small

Look..

Please stop with all that SH#T !!
Stop talking about things you don't know and stop posting for the sake of posting!!!
I understand that you have no other interesting things to post but please try and post some intelligent thread..

And this is what i think:
-Oblivion will not be deserted. It will have enough NPC's for it to be alive(the devs said that)
-Oblivion NPC's look great!! They look very real and better then any over npc's from any over game. (those videos were made on some LCD monitors and that's why they looked a little bit strange)
-Oblivion is BIG. (fullstop)
-Oblivion will be the greatest RPG of all times, the greatest GAME of all times, it is ALMOST PERFECT.

And stop complaining. Maybe you wanted that the game was PERFECT. But this is impossible. You'll have to accept it as it is...

ALMOST PERFECT

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Later in the same thread:

Dungeon Siege was an awesome roleplaying game. That only had 4 skills.

Fable is also an awesome action packed game with lots of role playing capabilities (look at how many ways you can dress up your character!) and that has only 7 or 8 skills.

I was under the impression that role playing junkies preferred a wider variety of skills then just 5. You seem to be a more hack and slash junkie not a roleplayer. Hell y have 5 skills when we can just make it 1? call it god mode where you "OMGS I PWN ALL" then we have no issues with skills.

No. I'm a newage roleplayer. You're a dinosaur from last century. Hey, 1997 called; they want your Fallout2 back.

Zomg

Arbiter
That thread starter is obviously doing "A Modest Proposal" satire... this isn't news, right?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I've spoken with the thread starter on IRC a few times. It's definitely a joke thread.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
lol What an idiot. I hope kathode and MSFD are ashamed.

You've been had, VD. Say 10 hail Miths and gargle your throat with trilinear filtered shader 3.0 water from the Cyrodillic Sea.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
whitemithrandir said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I've spoken with the thread starter on IRC a few times. It's definitely a joke thread.

That would be me.

Godot: ...

Sneak :D

No. There is no more "Sneak". It got condensed into Survival. The correct, more elegant and simplified term is "You Survivalist".

Twinfalls

Erudite
:lol: lolzors

So whitemithrandir == Rosen.... getting love blood and rhetoric at the codex

You have a new fan, whitemith.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
whitemithrandir said:
Vault Dweller said:
lol What an idiot. I hope kathode and MSFD are ashamed.

You've been had, VD. Say 10 hail Miths and gargle your throat with trilinear filtered shader 3.0 water from the Cyrodillic Sea.
My apologies then, although what you posted doesn't seem that far off from what one can find at TES forums. That's why it was so easy to believe that the poster was for real.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Reconcilliation said:
I get a kick out of this shit. More please!

Just click his username and search for his topics- there are quite a few gems like that.

HardCode

Erudite
I thought it was real, only because I was too lazy to read the whole thread and realize the "5 skills" at the bottom. You're still a schizo, though.

Mulciber

Novice
Hah. Wonderful thread.
So does this make you a Master Baiter?

Vault Dweller said:
-Oblivion characters look like sh#t, see the uncany valley

I've always liked the Uncanny Valley theory. Makes a lot of sense. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley"> Wikipedia Link </a>

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
If you'd made that post in any other forum, I would have thought it a joke, but I'm predisposed to take even the dumbest things seriously when they come out of TES forums, so yeah, got me fooled you did.

Anyway, http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197554. If nothing else, it's an awesome poll result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom