Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Horse of a Different ... Owner?

HardCode

Erudite
This new, error-filled article lists some stuff about that "O" game. This quote from the article I find interesting, to say the least:

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2005/12 ... livion_2.x

David Craddock said:
Of course, owning a horse isn't your only option; you can also steal them should you feel so inclined. However, upon dismounting, the stolen mount will make immediate tracks back to its rightful master, so plunking down the necessary gold is your best option in the end, though you could always go from city to city by means of stolen horses.

So, does this mean that if you steal a horse, gallop all across Cyrodil, and hop off, the horse is going to make a return journey across the 16 square miles back to the owner? RAI in all its greatness? That sounds SOOOOOO stupid.

crufty

Arcane
While on the subject of horses, if one day mounted combat was a direct copy of Shadow of the Colossus, that would not be a bad thing. hint hint.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
If you own the horse, it'll stay where you leave it when you dismount. Otherwise, yeah -- the horse'll run back home. Price you pay for being a horse thief. Of course you could always put it in a corral when you're not using it, and then it won't be able to get away. There are farms & settlements all over with fenced-in paddocks & such.

HardCode

Erudite
It would be much better if the horse became "disconnected" from its owner once you leave the city. The horse doesn't know he was stolen.

Suppose you stop to check out a dungeon, then VOILA! the horse is gone before you make it to the dungeon's door. Kind of goofy.

Jason

chasing a bee
Hardcode, it sounds like you haven't been around very many horses. They can tell people apart and aren't likely to wait around for someone they don't know if they don't have to.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Horses in oblivion have cyber implants in their brains that force them to do this. Those implants have a lot of useful information including a GPS device that will make the journey back possible without the horse getting lost. It's also a mind control device that will prevent them from running away in the process in case they want to try out freedom. Horses will stay faithful no matter how badly you treat them.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Would this also work in reverse? If an NPC steals my horse, might it return at a later date?

If so, would it be always trying to follow my exact position (which is likely to be moving all about the map) or will it try and return to a house I own?

Twinfalls

Erudite
can't wait to see horse thieves chasing their steeds all over the countryside. Eagle Spirit come baaaaack.....

Whipporowill

Erudite
So no tethering horses to a post or something (a guy smart enough stealing a horse would be smart enough to figure that one out)? Using a paddock is a great idea, but there's not bound to be plenty of those around dungeon entrances.

Fresh

Erudite
Jinxed said:
Horses in oblivion have cyber implants in their brains that force them to do this. Those implants have a lot of useful information including a GPS device that will make the journey back possible without the horse getting lost. It's also a mind control device that will prevent them from running away in the process in case they want to try out freedom. Horses will stay faithful no matter how badly you treat them.

Hehehee. :D

Bluebottle said:
Would this also work in reverse? If an NPC steals my horse, might it return at a later date?

If so, would it be always trying to follow my exact position (which is likely to be moving all about the map) or will it try and return to a house I own?

Noo... Disappointingly NPCs will NEVER steal anything from you.

Whipporowill said:
So no tethering horses to a post or something (a guy smart enough stealing a horse would be smart enough to figure that one out)? Using a paddock is a great idea, but there's not bound to be plenty of those around dungeon entrances.

Or you could beat it half to death and just have it lie there all bloody on the ground till you come back from your dungeoncrawl and then heal it. That would be the most realistical option!

Zomg

Arbiter
Maybe you can build a pillow fort paddock to keep your stolen horses in.

Tintin

Arbiter
Huh? Oblivion topics don't even have to mention Oblivion in the thread title anymore?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Huh? Oblivion topics don't even have to mention Oblivion in the thread title anymore?

I thought every thread had the option to go Oblivion.

Back on topic

Hey what if you kill the NPC? Will the horse run back to the body? What if you dump the body in deep water? Will the horse jump in and happily drown itself to be with its owner? Get off your masters dick Eagle Spirit.

bryce777

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:

Back on topic

Hey what if you kill the NPC? Will the horse run back to the body? What if you dump the body in deep water? Will the horse jump in and happily drown itself to be with its owner? Get off your masters dick Eagle Spirit.

the obvious solution is to steal the owner,a s well. Keep him in a coralle

vazquez595654

Arbiter
vazquez595654 wrote:
Quote:

Back on topic

Steal the owner? Hmmm. Conan the Bar...uh... I mean the Horse Loving Necrophiliac. Doesn't really strike fear into the hearts of men? Or does it?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
bryce777 said:
vazquez595654 said:

Back on topic

Which brings up the interesting question: What happens if you steal the horse AND kill the owner?

HardCode

Erudite
What I want to know is, if horses aren't allowed in cities, where the hell is the horse going to go??? Is it going to just stand outside the city gates?

Tintin

Arbiter
HardCode said:
What I want to know is, if horses aren't allowed in cities, where the hell is the horse going to go??? Is it going to just stand outside the city gates?

I thought they were taken away to the stables upon going through.

Fresh

Erudite
Will you be able to follow the horse back to his owner walking through miles of wilderness? WIll it actually walk the whole distance or zap home between load zones or something?

Stealing the owner & bringing him along is a great suggestion btw. It would be nice if you could shrink him and keep him in your pocket.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
It'll run all the way home. If it gets unloaded because you're too far away, it'll go into the low processing level list and move there over time.

And yes, there are stables outside of every major city where your horse stays while you're inside.

Zomg

Arbiter
Well, on the one hand the horse-arang thing is lame, but on the other it gives me some hope that they've worked on the economy if they're not willing to trivially give you some benefit or another. If money were as valueless as in Morrowind they wouldn't have bothered to write the stolen horse code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom