Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FPS Fallout - inquiring mind wants to know

Vault Dweller said:
undead dolphin hacker said:
Morrowind was dumbed down in comparison to Daggerfall and even Arena.
That was my point.
Oh. Well, I could have sworn you were postulating that Morrowind sucked because it was limited by the XBox's design.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, that's what I feel as it's the most logical explanation. However, I also stated other reasons in the same post, like making it easier for casual players to play (we all remember how many difficulties people had with ToEE (bugs aside), most reviews stated that the game was only for advanced DnD players, and it would be next to impossible for casual players to figure out gameplay mechanics).

Anyway, the reasons for dumbing down are irrelevant, the dumbing down itself isn't, and that's pretty much a fact.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Morrowind was dumbed down in comparison to Daggerfall and even Arena.
That was my point.
Oh. Well, I could have sworn you were postulating that Morrowind sucked becuase it was limited by the XBox's design.
No big deal. I know little about XBOX hardware (I simply don't care), but I did play Arena and Daggerfall, and the difference is noticeable. "Why", like I said, isn't that important.

fallout ranger said:
I could have sworn you were postulating that Morrowind sucked.

Wait, you *don't* think Morrowind sucked?
The thing is, I never wrote that. You cut my sentence in half faster than Michael Moore on a caffeine rush.

Either you:

a.) Have the reading comprehension skills of a blind two year old with Down's syndrome.

b.) Were close to climax over the hot beastiality .mpg you were Alt-Tabbing back and forth to and didn't have the time nor the patience to finish my sentence.

c.) Are a (trolling fuckwit)/(ubern00b pathetically trying to fit in).

d.) All of the above.

In short, go fuck yourself.

fallout ranger said:
WTF are you talking about asshole?

What I Posted:

Oh. Well, I could have sworn you were postulating that Morrowind sucked because it was limited by the XBox's design.

What You Quoted (Before your crafty edit):

fallout ranger said:
I could have sworn you were postulating that Morrowind sucked.

That you go back and edit your (intentional) misquote then post "WTF d00d u a$$ i don nuthin rong" only lends more support to the notion that you are, indeed, all of the above.

Enderandrew

Novice
Spazmo said:
Morrowind wasn't dumbed down--it's just dumb.

I agree. I just hate how everyone states that MW was dumbed down due to the X-Box. Morrowind was designed to be pretty much as it is today from the get-go. Sure, a few features didn't make it in, but that's the story with most development cycles. The first expansion pack hit upon most things they didn't get in the initial release. Since Morrowind was a static world, rather than a random one, certain things had to change.

Morrowind is what it is, and many people love it. Others loathe it.

I just feel that it fell short of my expectations. I think the problems Morrowind has lay in the initial design ideas, not due to compromises that the X-Box forced on the team. I think RPG fans should be happy that developers want to try and put real RPGs on consoles. If RPGs sell better, we'll see more of them.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Enderandrew said:
I think RPG fans should be happy that developers want to try and put real RPGs on consoles. If RPGs sell better, we'll see more of them.
If RPGs like MW sell better, we'll only see more of MW-like "real" RPGs.

Franz

Novice
I'm not sure why the perspective is so important to everyone. For me it's a non-issue because there are so many vital aspects of a CRPG, and the implementation of them will make or break Bethesda's Fallout. The camera view is among the least of them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone who thinks perspective only has to do with where the camera's location is completely ignorant of game design, Franz. There's a hell of a lot of mechanics that are based on the perspective. There are certain things that can or can't be done, or should or shouldn't be done, totally based on perspective, and those things determine much of how the game plays.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Anyone who thinks perspective only has to do with where the camera's location is completely ignorant of game design, Franz. There's a hell of a lot of mechanics that are based on the perspective. There are certain things that can or can't be done, or should or shouldn't be done, totally based on perspective, and those things determine much of how the game plays.
Slingo, we have a winner.

If Bethesda can be convinced to go third person, there's a pretty good chance Fallout 3 won't turn into "Morrowind with guns." Not to say it won't suck, but at least it won't be that.

On the other side of the coin, if Bethesda chooses to do 1st person, I'll wait for reviews before buying the game, as they're a weak devhouse who has a natch for falling into routine.

In short, it'll be easier to fall into Morrowind-with-guns if the game's first person. Which is a pitfall Bethesda very likely will fall into.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom