Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bioware pop quiz at XBN

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Sheriff05 said:
I sure you see how screwing with the Fallout franchise was a disaster. A fine line indeed.
I don't think anyone even paid the line heed for FO:BoS. They made an intentional choice to move away from what the PC games had done, for good or ill.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
J.E. Sawyer said:
No, not countless. Definitely less than 100. Probably less than 50. Certainly a minute fraction of the number of people who bought the game and purchased it.
Lets just agree we both have a selective memory, of course in the grand scheme the amount of commentary is miniscule to total game purchases.Remember in NWN's case, message board lobbying is what got the single-player element added to the game.

Knowing AD&D rules was actually a detriment to me when playing the game.

Ok, I got you there, I thought you were trying to say that BG was only theoretically
developed for D&D fans. To which my response would be- "Then who the hell are they making the game for??. "Theoretically" as in: " they only theoretically followed the 2nd Ed rules", sure.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
J.E. Sawyer said:
I think the first time I took Xan into my party to deal with the sirens up the coast, I felt pretty cool. After all, I had an elf enchanter in my party. Charm effects? Forget about 'em! The first time I came face-to-face with the sirens, BAM, Xan charmed. Huh. Must have been an unlucky roll to get by that 90% resistance to sleep and charm. Again. BAM. Charmed. BAM. Charmed. Over and over again. No Wisdom modifiers to my save, either. Geez, dwarves didn't even get their proper poison and magic bonuses, much less AC bonuses against giants. Knowing AD&D rules was actually a detriment to me when playing the game.

These things just weren't implimented or was it because there were bugs in the implimentation? Some of that I can see, but to botch nearly all the perks of being a particular race just seems a little half assed. I expect a little rules fudging here and there, but to just have the attribute modifiers on races and not the immunities and other bonuses seems pretty bad to me. It's like one of those things where it's better not to do something than to do it that poorly.

ToEE had a lot of options, which I'd never seen implimented in a D&D game before. Trip, Command Undead, and so on, just made the game pretty nifty in my opinion. It would be nice to seen that engine reused in a more elaborate game. It'd be interesting to see something like IWD shoved in to the ToEE engine framework instead of the Infinity Engine one.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
These are the things I rememeber not being in Baldur's Gate for races:

Elves:
* +1 to hit with bows and swords
* 90% resistance to sleep and charm

Dwarves:
* Bonuses to save vs. magic, poison
* +1 to hit orcs, half-orcs, goblins, hobgoblins
* -4 to AC when attacked by ogres, trolls, ogre magi, giants, and titans

Gnomes:
* Bonuses to save vs. magic
* +1 to hit kobolds, goblns
* -4 to AC when attacked by gnolls, bugbears, ogres, trolls, ogre magic, giants, and titans

Half-Elves:
* 30% resistance to sleep and charm

Halflings:
* Bonuses to save vs. magic, poison
* +1 to hit with slings and thrown weapons

Rosh

Erudite
J.E. Sawyer said:
Baldur's Gate was also a game theoretically oriented towards D&D geeks. I have yet to see more than a tiny handful of people comment on the complete absence of 80% of all racial modifiers in that game -- or on things that were just blatantly wrong. The Sword +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters did nothing differently against shapeshifters. The people who don't notice these things are supposed to have the keen minds to intuit how AoOs work?

When we say "shit design", we mean the whole thing. After that, then you can differentiate which problems are with what.

As for working for Romero. Well, I hope his ego took a burst, and he gets back to work.

kris

Arcane
Now we will see if Sawyer manages to put in some more D&D rules in NWN ;)

Are you on to something Sol? Huh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom