Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's Fantasy 4X - First Details

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

<p>In a mostly unrelated thread at <a href="http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=939846#post939846" target="_blank">Quarter To Three</a> (about Atari's financial troubles), <a href="http://www.galciv2.com/" target="_blank">Stardock</a> main man Brad Wardell dribbled out some of the <a href="http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=939846&postcount=33" target="_blank">first details</a> about Stardock's upcoming fantasy 4X. You know, the one that was almost <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16143" target="_blank"><strong>Master of Magic 2</strong></a>.</p><blockquote><p>1) Character building. The player is a character in the game. Nearly all magic in the world actually flows from the player. If you've ever read The Silmarillion (Tolkien) all the magic in Arda basically comes from the spirit of the things created by Eru. So in this sense, the player is a kind of Valar of sorts who can choose to invest their growing power into their creations/minions or into themselves (or a bit of both). That's an over simplification but the point is, part of the game mechanics is having to choose between making your forces more powerful or actual character.

2) The game is very spell-centric. The 3D engine is being designed so you can do Populous style spells to the world. Since it's turn-based (as opposed to real-time) that also means you can have some ridiculously fancy spell effects.

3) Very distinct magic schools.

4) You cannot build heroes. They have to be recruited and there's no Inn. Ones ability to attract heroes is one of the game mechanics and "interesting choices" players have. Those heroes can be wimpy or powerful depending on how the player chooses to use and invest in them.

5) There is massive scaling in this. At the beginning of Fellowship of the Rings (the movie edition) you could see just how powerful Sauron is. In this, if you manage to get a dragon, that dragon can wipe out hundreds of units. And by scale, we mean there's thousands and thousands of troops. One ancient dragon is taking out hundreds of troops.

6) Cities are built and improved and local geography matters. I won't say more on this right now. ;)

7) Multiplayer will involve all players moving at the same time.

8) Battles zoom in so that tactical combat can occur which is also turn based. </p></blockquote><p>Not being able to build heroes doesn't sound all that great to the obsessive control freak in me, but on the other hand, trying to "attract" heroes might have its own replay-boosting appeal: "Next game, Shmanky The Devourer will be mine. Oh yes, he will be mine."</p><p>Also, turn-based tactical combat is in, something Stardock has avoided for GalCiv. Interesting. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://flashofsteel.com/">Flash of Steel</a></p>

Amasius

Augur
Good news. I'd have prefered a real Master of Magic 2, but turn-based tactical combat is in and thats all I'm asking for. :)

Psilon

Erudite
Eh, I don't mind not being able to directly build heroes. Master of Magic and Age of Wonders were much the same way, and both ended up having "Call Hero" spells fairly late in the Air tree. I suspect you won't have much of a problem picking out your preferred officer corps.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I wish him good luck with trying to beat AoW: SM. Curious to the scale and those thousands of units though.

LCJr.

Erudite
Ryuken said:
I wish him good luck with trying to beat AoW: SM. Curious to the scale and those thousands of units though.

Each figure represents approx. 1000 soldiers or one really big and nasty creature.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Knowing the quality of AI in Gal Civ II bodes well for this new title. It'd be nice to play a fantasy strategy game where the computer can annihilate you with superior tactics rather than relying on unfair cheats (ahem... Heroes V).

Very interested to see what becomes of this.

entropyjones

Novice
Is there anywhere to find out more information on this game or possibly to give some suggestions or feedback?

I'm really excited about this game because HOMM5 was such a let down and I despair of ever seeing Age of Wonders III. The people behind this game have a lot of established credibility with me and so I'm hunting info on this almost weekly.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Perhaps here you can try and "influence" the Stardock folks. I would wait for an official announcement and seperate forums first.

entropyjones

Novice
Hmmm thanks.. I guess I'll have to wait. I don't really want to influence them with a lot of crazy stuff I just think there are a couple of basic things that should go into a game like this.

1. Avatars for both genders so that my wife can play with me. She won't play a male avatar and why should she have to y'know?

2. Strategy and RPG folks for the most part don't need to be wow'd by super amazing graphics. That's how you end up with games like oblivion. Gorgeous.. but vapid. Gameplay and story are way more important. By story in a strat game we're really talking about depth of the world the game is set in.

Blah I guess I should shut up this isn't the time or the place. Although maybe a discussion about what people would want from a fantasy tbs would be enlightening.

Jason

chasing a bee
Avatars for both genders so that my wife can play with me. She won't play a male avatar and why should she have to y'know?
Tell her she's not role-playing hard enough.
Strategy and RPG folks for the most part don't need to be wow'd by super amazing graphics.
True for strategy, but less and less true for RPGs. In fact, fancy graphics seems to be a big selling point for RPGs these days.
Blah I guess I should shut up this isn't the time or the place. Although maybe a discussion about what people would want from a fantasy tbs would be enlightening.
Feel free. Discussing fantasy TBS games in a fantasy TBS thread makes sense to me.

entropyjones

Novice
Hmmm thanks I guess I will go ahead.

I guess about the role playing thing I sort of feel like it should be optional you know? If she wanted to rp a guy, she can. If she wants to RP a girl, she can. We should be getting that option in video games.

About the graphics stuff... Well I guess your right that it is a big selling point. I just feel like it shouldn't be.

Maybe I'm the only person who thinks the graphics arms race between game developers resulted in some truly boring and vapid games. That looked nice. Oh they looked nice but at the cost of gameplay and story.

On the subject of strategy games I would much rather have age of wonders II over just about any of the really pretty strategy games out there. I do have a weakness for the total war series but they have a lot of strategy in them.

If the people at CA ever make a fantasy total war I'm going to be hooked.

Jason

chasing a bee
I do have a weakness for the total war series but they have a lot of strategy in them.
They're also one of the big players in the "graphics arms race" in strategy gaming. This is all your fault for supporting them!
But if you're looking for a TW-ish fantasy game, keep your eyes peeled for Arcane Legions (aka Arena Warriors) from Slitherine.

For something more at the Stardock end, try the Fall from Heaven mod for Civ4.

You have tried Dominions 3, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom