Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs have counterintuitive powergaming choices? (Wiz 6)

Higher Game

Arcane
From playing Wizardry 6, it made me think of how many RPGs have strange race/class combinations that are extremely powerful, even if they make very little sense. In Wizardry 6, changing classes reverts a character's stats to the minimum, by race or class requirements, depending on which value is higher. Here's the catch. If you choose a tough race, like a dwarf, and switch him to an intelligent class, like a bishop, he'll have both brawn (from race) and brains (from class), making him a great, if strange, character. For this reason, elven samurai and lizardmen bishops can be powerful characters, if they are the 2nd classes chosen for characters in the middle of the game. Of course, switching isn't necessary, but this is a powergaming thread. :)

I remember how shocked people were when some Diablo II players discovered how great amazons were for tanking, even better than barbarians, due to their passive dodging abilities. They weren't going to deal out damage like a barbarian, but in a teamplay environment, they were the best shields.

Finally, trollish wizards in Ancient Domains of Mystery are nearly unbeatable, if the player is intelligent. Being trolls, they easily survive the early game, and by the late game, they can train up their low magic skills to the point where they're just as good as elves. Elves, however, regenerate slower and die easier, and their higher mana and intelligence skills don't make a big difference early in the game, where it counts.

LCJr.

Erudite
TOEE, barbarian/druid or barbarian/sorcerer(or wizard) anyone?

Balor

Arcane
Well, Fairy Ninja in Wiz8 was one of most powergamy chars does to a certain item only that race/class combo can use ;).

abstract

Scholar
Re: What RPGs have counterintuitive powergaming choices? (Wi

Higher Game said:
Finally, trollish wizards in Ancient Domains of Mystery are nearly unbeatable, if the player is intelligent. Being trolls, they easily survive the early game, and by the late game, they can train up their low magic skills to the point where they're just as good as elves. Elves, however, regenerate slower and die easier, and their higher mana and intelligence skills don't make a big difference early in the game, where it counts.

I'd disagree with that. Trolls have a high rate of food consumption, which means you have to be extra-careful in the opening stages. They probably start with crap (for a wizard) Learning and Literacy, which gives them a harder time learning spells - less castings per reading and bigger chance of the spellbook exploding in their face. Fewer mana points means they probably will have to rely on both magic and melee to survive, and that two-handed club every troll starts with isn't all that great, because it leaves them open to attacks (as opposed to two shields, a weapon and a shield, or even the quarterstaff "normal" wizards begin with). Add to that the low rate at which trolls gain levels, and you got yourself a character that's stuck with poor magic and poor melee for much of the game, hardly a powergamer's choice.

edit: a better illustration of your point would be a trollish healer. Healers can withstand a lot of punishment, but find it difficult to dish out damage - they normally start out with a scalpel which does a mighty 1d3 damage. Since every troll starts out with a huge club this problem disappears; and their extra regeneration adds up to the Healing skil and the class bonuses - a Trollish healer with triple hit point regeneration, maxed out Healing skill and regeneration-boosting talent and starsign is really hard to kill.
l

JrK

Prophet
BGII with it's kits. The weaknesses of the Kensai mesh extremely well with the power of the wizard. Same story with the thief, while ToB makes that combination even easier with Use Any Item. A kensai in armor, backstabbing for 100+ damage, switching to a holy avenger for mage-kickery.

Voss

Erudite
LCJr. said:
TOEE, barbarian/druid or barbarian/sorcerer(or wizard) anyone?

Not really. You're either taking away spellcasting capability (caster level and spells/day) or losing HP & BAB. Neither is an optimal choice. It can be a useful secondary character, but isn't a good powergaming choice.

Jed

Cipher
JrK said:
BGII with it's kits. The weaknesses of the Kensai mesh extremely well with the power of the wizard. Same story with the thief, while ToB makes that combination even easier with Use Any Item. A kensai in armor, backstabbing for 100+ damage, switching to a holy avenger for mage-kickery.
Heh? I recall the Holy Avenger was restricted to Paladins only ...

Higher Game

Arcane

abstract said:
I'd disagree with that. Trolls have a high rate of food consumption, which means you have to be extra-careful in the opening stages. They probably start with crap (for a wizard) Learning and Literacy, which gives them a harder time learning spells - less castings per reading and bigger chance of the spellbook exploding in their face. Fewer mana points means they probably will have to rely on both magic and melee to survive, and that two-handed club every troll starts with isn't all that great, because it leaves them open to attacks (as opposed to two shields, a weapon and a shield, or even the quarterstaff "normal" wizards begin with). Add to that the low rate at which trolls gain levels, and you got yourself a character that's stuck with poor magic and poor melee for much of the game, hardly a powergamer's choice.

Trolls get food preservation. They actually have fewer hunger problems than my other characters. Their strength makes them great at melee combat, regardless of class. They level slowly, but this just means they will hit level 50 later. There's definitely enough experience to go around; they just get it a little slower. As for spells, they definitely have adequate power later in the game.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Claw said:
Morrowind and Oblivion, of course. Do I need to explain this? C'mon.
I don't follow. Are you refering to the fact that an optimal character blends two archtypes, melee and magic, with few consequences?

Arcanum suprised me by having dexterity be six times more important to combat than other stats. Also, guns and explosives are shitty in the game while banging on people with pointy sticks trumps everything.

galsiah

Erudite
Lord Chambers said:
I don't follow. Are you refering to the fact that an optimal character blends two archtypes, melee and magic, with few consequences?
Presumably he's referring to the nonsensical mechanism by which skill increases translate into attribute increases (and health).

Some absurdities:
Skill increases determine attribute multiplier at level up.
Level up only occurs when a character sleeps.
So training many times, then sleeping can get you totally different bonuses than sleeping then training.

Attribute bonuses are capped at 5x.
Training 50 (mostly misc) strength skills for one level gets you 5x strength bonus.
Training 10 strength skills for one level also gets you 5x strength bonus.

Training a variety of skills each level (i.e. playing naturally) will tend to get you a few 2x or 3x bonuses each level. Purposefully focusing on one or two attributes will get you 5x bonuses. The incentive is therefore to pick a couple (or three) attributes to focus on each level, and actively avoid gaining skill in other areas (since this would be a waste).

The absurd levelled enemies in Oblivion makes this a much more significant problem. [in Morrowind, you'll almost certainly get 100 in everything eventually, so there's no pressing need to gain the optimal bonus every level: enemies are levelled, but not absurdly so. In Oblivion, training the wrong skills and getting lower bonuses per level will be a significant penalty].

All this puts a strong incentive (particularly in Oblivion) on consciously training the "right" skills each level. Completely at odds with natural play and immersion.

Now consider that only major skills trigger level increase (or major and minor - not misc. - in Morrowind), and it becomes clear that the most effective means of play is to avoid putting the skills you'll use into major slots.
Minor skill increases make your character more powerful. Major increases make the opposition more powerful (and your character slightly more powerful).

Therefore the best choice at character creation for Oblivion is to put all the skills you'll hardly ever use into major slots. [for Morrowind, the level scaling is less extreme, so it makes sense to put a few you'll use frequently in minor/majors - but not many].

Of course handily, this won't matter long term, since everyone has the freedom to get 100 in everything.
Joy.

If you aim to get 3 5x multipliers per level (not going for luck increases), you actually work out needing 30 increases (at the very least).

Even if you managed to avoid increasing any skills you planned not to (again - totally against natural play), for Morrowind, you'd be in this situation:
Major/Minor increases = 10 in 10 skills.
Misc increases = (30 - 10) = 20, in 17 skills.

So your misc skills would be increasing faster on average than your major/minor skills.

With Oblivion, you have:
Major increases = 10 in 7 skills.
Minor increases = (30 - 10) = 20 in 14 skills.

Giving you a slightly less absurd equivalence of increase rates - unless of course you make the mistake of increasing a skill by accident.

If you do aim for luck increases every level, things work out a little more sensibly.

Health gain is also order-dependent with respect to attribute gain. A character who gains endurance quickly will permanently have higher health than one who gains it slowly. This means that even for a mage/diplomat, the incentive is to get out there early with some heavy armor and a (spear?... - no, silly of me) shield, and grind out some endurance increases.

Of course, none of this is required. The best possible course of action (short of modding the games) is to ignore all this and attempt to play naturally - and suffer the consequences. In Morrowind this was a reasonable proposition [for someone who can not think about this, and accept the idiocy of the situation]. For Oblivion, the extreme scaling makes it more of an in-your-face issue (so I hear - haven't played Oblivion).

Anyway, the entire system is appallingly designed. It incentivizes counter-intuitive, stat-counting, gameplay. It allows situations to develop where increasing a skill will be undesirable. It needlessly incentivizes a rush for endurance, when an order independent health gain system would be trivial to implement.
It's garbage.

I don't think it was too much better in Daggerfall in principle (haven't played it - but looked up some of the numbers just now), but I would imagine the much larger number of total skills (35 vs 27 vs 21) went some way to diminishing the problem. [Particularly since first, the ratio of primary/major... skills to misc skills was so much lower in Daggerfall; and second, there were many more total increases possible, so there'd never be any worry about being limited in possible attribute gains]

Basically, they've failed to improve the essence of the system since Daggerfall (and it wasn't great to start with), while at the same time reducing the number of skills (and therefore total skill increases), and increasing level scaling - both of which put the spotlight that much more strongly on the horribly broken mechanics.

BUT WHO CAERS??!! ITS ONLY A GAEM AND ITS SINGLE PLAYER!!111!! THINKING IS OPTIONAL SO IF YOU DONT LIEK IT DON TDO IT!!!!11!1!!!

[IF YOUR ONE OFF THE 98% OF CRETINS THAT NEEDS TO BE BEATEN TO DEATH WITH THERE OWN KEYBOARD PTU THIS IN YOU@RE SIG!!!1!!1!]

There are also many other idiotic situations in Morrowind. For instance, it makes great sense to do this:
Walk up to an Ordinator in broad daylight.
Hack him to death.
Walk up to his friend.
Hand yourself in for ... a 1000 gold fine.
Go back to the first guy, loot his corpse while his mate happily watches you.
Sell the armor and weapon etc for anywhere from about 3000 to 6000 gold.
Repeat until you've brutally murdered every ordinator in the area, then leave and come back.

Also there's the means of increasing skills:
The incentive to jump everywhere since it's faster than running and gains you acrobatics.

The incentive to cast many minor (pretty useless) spells, rather than a few major (and more practical) ones, simply because skill increase is per casting, not per magicka point. This puts all the emphasis on grinding, getting almost no skill increase from natural usage.

The most effective way to train weapons being to e.g. stab an enemy with a blunt, damaged mace. (since again, skill increase is per hit, not per point of damage) Again, this incentivizes grinding, and penalizes natural, effective play - i.e. killing the opponent as quickly as possible in a few hits.

...It pains me to continue.

abstract

Scholar

Higher Game said:
Trolls get food preservation. They actually have fewer hunger problems than my other characters.

Food preservation doesn't help that much when you start out with a ~20 skill, get 3 skill upgrades per level with low upgrade dice and level up slowly on top of that. The only real advantage trolls have over other races is that they can eat small rats without vomiting, but those provide a tiny amount of satiation. Also, later in the game the other races can solve their food problems by buying cooked lizards, but not trolls. Add to that the increased consumption from artefacts, invisibility, casting and whatnot, and you get a character that's at least a pain in the ass to keep constantly fed.

Their strength makes them great at melee combat, regardless of class.

Wizards need double the amount of weapon marks to advance in weapon skills, which further inhibits their melee capabilities. Also, I rolled a trollish wizard and found that they start out just with a regular quarterstaff.

They level slowly, but this just means they will hit level 50 later. There's definitely enough experience to go around; they just get it a little slower.

That's actually quite a big deal, because it's the early and mid game that's the most deadly. If you make it past the fire tower, then you probably won't die unless you do something stupid. Levelling is especially important for wizards, since that's when they get extra mana points.

As for spells, they definitely have adequate power later in the game.

You're still gimping yourself by having your melee abilities lower than a pure fighting class and magic abilities lower than a spellcaster of a more magic-attuned race.

suibhne

Erudite
Kudos to galsiah for producing the most comprehensive account I've yet seen of why Oblivion's character system is criminally stupid.

Limorkil

Liturgist
galsiah said:
Training a variety of skills each level (i.e. playing naturally) will tend to get you a few 2x or 3x bonuses each level. Purposefully focusing on one or two attributes will get you 5x bonuses. The incentive is therefore to pick a couple (or three) attributes to focus on each level, and actively avoid gaining skill in other areas (since this would be a waste).

To some extent I agree with your reasoning, but the counter argument is that the 2x/3x increases are normal and that only powergamers want the 5x increases. This is the "Bethesda defense" and I don't totally agree with it, but I see the point.

Using the Oblivion levelled NPCs as an example: Any level 20 (the defacto "high level" for content, although player characters will far exceed it) NPC who has some aptitude for sword swinging will have a Blade skill of 68. Likewise, if they are skilled with heavy armor they will have a similar Heavy Armor skill. At the same time, their strength will be about 80 if they are a strength based class. Compare these stats to a player who plays "normally" and a player who powerlevels, the latter being what you advocate all/most players must do. Since a player skilled with a sword will start with a skill of about 35, increasing the skill by 2 points each level will put the normal player at about 75, which is slightly higher than the NPCs you will fight. At the same time, the normal player will start with about 40 strength and will probably increase it to about 80 by level 20, also in line with the levelled NPCs. On the other hand, the powergamer will probably have capped Blade skill at 100 and have 100 strength by level 20, thus drastically reducing the challenge.

My point is that Bethesda balanced the game assuming that the player gets the normal 2x/3x increases. This was also true in Morrowind. It is only powergamers that would "need" to max out their character at every level.

A more realistic criticism of Oblivion/Morrowind in this context is how all players end up with more or less the same character, even though there are many races and classes to choose from. You could almost say that with these games it is very easy to create a non-typical race/class character, because almost everything other than a Fighter-Mage-Thief is non-standard. Race has very little effect on class other than at the start of the game. At the start your strength, agility, intelligence etc. are set based on your race, and your higher skills are based on your class. However, as every character progresses the attributes and abilities of the character are based on what you do in the game, the original race and class has almost no bearing.

Generally, I do not see the "non-standard" race/class combinations pointed out in this thread as being particularly non-standard. Most powergaming is based on sacrificing some early game advantages for a greater amount of late game advantage. In this sense, choosing a race that minimizes a classes disadvantages, such as a high endurance magic user, is hardly non-standard. Really it is just exploiting poor game mechanics. After all, if Lizardmen are stupid but hard to kill, yet they can be turned into awesome mages if they practice enough, then surely the magic guilds and governments of the world would be dominted by burly magic using Lizardmen, and weedy Elves would be the knights.

Personally, I am not a fan of racial bonuses/aptitudes and class hybrids. Much of it just seems like cheap design. I would rather have a game where the fighters are fighters, the thieves are thieves, the mages are mages etc. I am not a big D&D fan, but I have to say that the 3.5 edition rules are reasonably good in this respect.

crufty

Arcane
Back to the O/T

Not so much non-sensical, but I always liked playing Linley's Dungeon Crawl as a Mummy Necromancer. Spellcasting not only uses MP, but it also makes you hungry. However, mummy's are undead, and thus immune to hunger. In the early levels, you can raise a veritable legion of skeletal bats, lizards, etc, following you dutifully about few paces behind.

I seem to recall Wasteland had some strange skill allocation requirements, but the years have laid those memories to waste.

suibhne

Erudite
Limorkil said:
My point is that Bethesda balanced the game assuming that the player gets the normal 2x/3x increases. This was also true in Morrowind. It is only powergamers that would "need" to max out their character at every level.

I know your description is meant to fit Oblivion, but it works much better for Morrowind. Oblivion's scaling is more aggressive and geared to powergaming. E.g., I never had any difficulty in Morrowind past about lvl 6 or 8, but Oblivion 's default scaling is stupid hard well into the 20s and on. (And by "stupid hard", I mean "a single Ogre eating 25 Elven Arrows from a Glass Bow fired by an extremely skilled character" hard.)

JrK

Prophet
Limorkil said:
My point is that Bethesda balanced the game assuming that the player gets the normal 2x/3x increases.

What part of the game did you miss? Oblivian isn't balanced at all! Even at lvl 20+ with your 100 blade skill, the bears and ogres eat your swordhits for lunch and bash you to death anyway.

galsiah

Erudite
Limorkil said:
To some extent I agree with your reasoning, but the counter argument is that the 2x/3x increases are normal and that only powergamers want the 5x increases. This is the "Bethesda defense" and I don't totally agree with it, but I see the point.
I've seen that argument many times.

What it means is this: Some players won't mind at all that the design sucks.
It does not mean this: The design doesn't suck.

I've had words with GhanBuriGhan on this subject. He's a thinking person whom I respect, but maintains that this issue never bothered him. That's fine.
It still doesn't make the design good. (or even passable)

Problems with the Bethesda "reasoning" I see are the following:
(1) Assumes there are powergamers and non-powergamers, rather than a continuum of player types: Nonsense.
(2) Assumes that a player who focuses on getting 5x multipliers actually enjoys this: Nonsense.
(3) Fails to acknowledge that the system can easily be improved for those who dislike it, without putting anyone off who already likes it.

In any case, the "powergaming" argument is still nonsense.

The same argument could apply to this "design" idea:
Let's put all the most powerful weapons in the first room. That way the powergaming players will pick them up and enjoy them (they wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it right??), while other players can just walk past them if they like.
Everyone is happy!!

Or this one:
Let's use an xp system, and start the game in a small room with an infinite supply of easily killable enemies. That way the powergamers can stay there as long as they want and increase their level (they wouldn't do it if they weren't enjoying it, right??), while other players can simply walk past.
Everyone is happy!!

The notion that a player will only do something that he enjoys is nonsense. If any player sees a situation where he believes certain actions are expected of him in order to make progress, he'll usually do them - even if they're not entertaining.
He'll also assume that the game isn't designed by fools - so if there's a room with a load of easy experience available, it'll be expected that he'll get much of it (again, even if it isn't entertaining).

Also, I'd argue that in most cases "powergaming" in an RPG simply consists in doing what is best for the player character (i.e. good sense / pragmatism). In the absense of any compelling role-playing reasons to do otherwise, that's exactly what most characters would do.

Many people argue that things like the following are powergaming, rather than role-playing, since "real" characters wouldn't do them:
Deciding when to sleep based on skill/level increase.
Deciding what skills to train based on eventual attribute increase.
Training endurance early to get health increase.

However, these are all things that people wouldn't do in a world similar to our own - because they wouldn't be useful. Characters in Bethesda's world would learn over time that these things are useful.
They'd know from experience that focusing on about three skills at a time was a more effecitve means of self improvement than focusing on e.g. one or five skills - because in their world, this is the case.
They'd know that people who train hard physically early tend to end up more healthy, without losing out in terms of intelligence etc. - because in their world this is the case.

When a character lives in a world which has certain rules, he'll adapt to those rules - even when they are stupid/nonsense. Roleplaying should be about working within, and building upon the framework the game provides. It should NOT require wilful ignorance of parts of the system considered to be "powergaming" features, simply because they don't accord with the rules of our own world.

Sometimes, such situations might be difficult to avoid, but that's not the case here.

I can sum up a vast improvement in one sentence:
Attribute, magicka and health gain should be independent of the order of increase of skills.

Hardly rocket science. This removes all the ludicrous "when is it best to train this skill" nonsense at a stroke: it'll always be a good thing to improve in any skill, and won't matter whether you train A, then B then sleep; B then A then sleep; A then sleep then B...

The distinction between powergaming and roleplaying comes up most often when the following is true:
One action benefits the character most.
A different action seems like the action the character would take.

Given a pragmatic, non-retarded character (which I know is not always the case), I'd suggest that in an ideal design, the above should never happen. For a pragmatic character, the action (or range of possible actions) that appear to benefit him most should always seem like the sensible thing to do.

In an ideal design, roleplaying a pragmatic character, and powergaming should be the same thing.

What this does is connect the player to the character. All decision-making can happen in-character without any problem, since there is no "the player wants X, but the character ought to do Y" dichotomy.

Whenever this rule isn't followed in Morrowind, I'm forced to break character to make a decision. I pretty much always notice these situations, since that's how I think (and by extension, how my character most comfortably thinks) - in strategy games you're constantly looking for such an edge.

Once I notive, I need to make the decision "Do I do what benefits my character most, or do I do what seems sane?". This again brings up the thought "Surely if this benefits my character most, and he's pragmatic, then in this world it is sane."
Usually I opt for the "powergaming" decision, but at this point my decision is irrelevant. I've already lost any sense of immersion I might have been experiencing, and am busy thinking "What monkey designed this shit!?".

The next issue I face is that Bethesda reasoning goes thus:
Powergamers enjoy the way they play, otherwise they wouldn't do it.
We need to entertain normal players, and allow powergamers to powergame.

This means that there's no consideration shown to making powergaming entertaining [as indeed there shouldn't be - it should be made equivalent to roleplaying]. In turn this means that deciding to do what is best for my character means I need to follow many absurd courses of action which aren't entertaining.
For instance: stopping quests halfway through in order to get training in the "right" skills before I gain a level; making sure to avoid increasing the "wrong" skills etc.

Clearly these sorts of action are stupid, but can't really be avoided except by roleplaying a character who wilfully decides to adopt sub-optimal courses of action. I don't mind playing such characters by choice (various personality quirks can be invented to this end), but I certainly shouldn't be forced to.

Using the Oblivion levelled NPCs as an example: At the same time, the normal player will start with about 40 strength and will probably increase it to about 80 by level 20, also in line with the levelled NPCs. On the other hand, the powergamer will probably have capped Blade skill at 100 and have 100 strength by level 20, thus drastically reducing the challenge.
Sure.
That just means the game assumes that you'll play "naturally", where "naturally" means "without any thought to game mechanics, even when they're thrown in your face every time you level".

Assuming that you can give various x2 and x3 bonuses at each level increase without the player thinking about them and adapting his play to them is stupid.
Assuming that players who do adapt in this way enjoy doing it is also stupid.

I quite agree that the best way to play Morrowind is to play naturally, without thinking about all of this (not sure on Oblivion, since apparently increasing non-combat skills a lot can leave you completely screwed). I also realize that this type of play is expected by the "designers" at Bethesda.

That doesn't make the design reasonable. It just means that it can still be possible for players with any pragmatism to enjoy things - provided they're willing play the entire game intentionally doing the "wrong" (i.e. non-pragmatic) thing.

My point is that Bethesda balanced the game assuming that the player gets the normal 2x/3x increases. This was also true in Morrowind.
Agreed.
It is only powergamers that would "need" to max out their character at every level.
This is clearly what they thought (if they thought), and it's garbage.

Every player has "powergaming" (read "pragmatic") tendencies. It's only a question of degree. Also, the vast majority of powergamers don't enjoy powergaming at the expense of good sense - they just do it because it seems a lesser evil than wilful ignorance of in-your-face game mechanics.

A more realistic criticism of Oblivion/Morrowind in this context is how all players end up with more or less the same character, even though there are many races and classes to choose from.
I totally agree - this is garbage too.
However, this is garbage for an RPG. My above criticisms are garbage in any game.

The fact that every character ends up the same is pathetic, soulless RPG design that removes all character, turns everyone into superman, and removes replay value (assuming quests are linear, which indeed they are).

There is an argument that this isn't much of a problem, since most characters won't actually reach the point where everything is at 100. However, as soon as the player gets a charcater to 100 in everything, it becomes painfully clear that this is his destination.

Character levelling for the rest of the game becomes a quest for the ultimate in boring characters. That's not something to get inspired about.

Personally, I am not a fan of racial bonuses/aptitudes and class hybrids. Much of it just seems like cheap design.
Of course in Morrowind and Oblivion, that's because it is cheap design. It's a load of ill-thought-through crap.

However, I'm very keen on the idea of getting away from traditional archetypes, and using a versatile character system. It just needs to be done properly, and followed through throughout the game. Character choice in Morrowind is pretty trivial for 80% of the game. (perhaps less so in Oblivion, for all the wrong reasons)

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Counter-intuitive? I think everything in Guild Wars pvp is kinda counter-intuitive.

For example, the warrior class isn't meant to tank damage, but sustain packet damage for pressure.

Elementalists (the wizards of Guild Wars) can't really dish out damage, but is more commonly used to mitigate damage.

A necromancer doesn't really raise minions or steal life, but is used often to fuel spells from other classes and mitigate pressure.

And ritualists, contrary to the spirit spammers that Anet wants you to believe from the manual, is actually completely, utterly useless.

Stuff like that.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
"The same argument could apply to this "design" idea:
Let's put all the most powerful weapons in the first room. That way the powergaming players will pick them up and enjoy them (they wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it right??), while other players can just walk past them if they like.
Everyone is happy!! "

That's actually what they did do in stonekeep. The game is unbearably hard without it, though.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't remember Stonekeep being very hard. Once I figured out that you don't need a bow to throw arrows, which do humongoid damage, the game got pretty easy. I didn't learn about the hidden weapon until the next time I played it through (someone told me).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
As for ADOM and trollish wizards, remember that there are new experience rules in the new versions which can prohibit some characters even from reaching level 30 which, as we now, is quite important when dealing with corruption. The speed hit is perhaps most visible, but I think some races, including trolls, advance more slowly now.

And of course the whole point of making a trollish wizard is not to have him as an effective spell-caster during at least two thirds of the game. The idea as I view it is to win zillions at the casino and pump your char's Willpower using Garth so that it increases the radius of all ball spells, most notably Acid Ball. I think it's one of the most crucial aspects of late game with wizards.

Norfleet

galsiah said:
The most effective way to train weapons being to e.g. stab an enemy with a blunt, damaged mace. (since again, skill increase is per hit, not per point of damage) Again, this incentivizes grinding, and penalizes natural, effective play - i.e. killing the opponent as quickly as possible in a few hits.
The image of STABBING someone with a mace is amusing. I'm trying to also envision non-blunt maces. But I always thought it *DID* seem more natural to use dummy weapons. After all, that's how you train weapons in real life. If people attempted to practice by actually stabbing each other to death with the sharpest, pointiest sword they had, they or their sparring partners would quickly wind up dead, and thus very little training would be had from this. I always figured an activity was practiced by doing it as often as possible, generally without regard for whether it is purposeful or effective. If I want to practice lockpicking, I buy a bunch of locks and pick them repeatedly, I don't go try my luck robbing a store.

suibhne

Erudite
You missed the point, Norfleet. galsiah was pointing out that the best way to train weapon skills is to attack with a damaged weapon that deals very little damage, so as to require 500 hits to kill the Ogre rather than 20 - since you get better based on each individual hit, not based on how well you hit. The game thereby encourages/rewards totally irrational behavior.

For an even stupider example, take armor. Your armor skill raises when you're hit - so your best bet is to find a very low-level critter like a mud crab and just allow yourself to be hit over and over, periodically spamming heal spells to recover. In fact, this is a double win: you get to train Restoration too! :lol:

And somehow, magically, getting hit by a mud crab ad nauseum increases your Endurance when you go to sleep? Er...yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom