Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Open RPG engine" -- any takers?

As an indie developer, would you be interested?

• Fuck that, if 256-color sprites were good enough for Fallout, they're good enough for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If someone's dumb enough to make it, sure, I'd use it

• Great idea, I'd use it and contribute to maintaining it.

• Total voters

Oarfish

Prophet
Erm, AOD?

bryce777

Erudite
Well, how long has torque been out? It takes a long time to make a full game, especially part time.

As to paid versus free and open source versus not:

Well, I can't imagine working with on it with anyone else unless I knew them fairly well and I knew a) technically they were quite good and had a similar background and would not just slow me down and b) we saw more or less eye to eye as to not just the goals but design philosophy and such. Otherwise I don't think it would buy me anything, especially if they quit 3 months in.

My plan for now is to make a game, but at the same time make all the tools necessary to make games in general. Easy tools that you don't need any programming experience at all to use that can be used to make a complete game. There are a lot of gaps in my knowledge still, especially on the art side of things, but I don't need to focus on that til later, anyhow.

Then, theoretically speaking people will buy my game and then make awesome mods which are a big draw to buy it. I suppose I could go into licensing separate games, as well, if there is a demand for that.

I would not want to release source for a few reasons. First off, I don't want people to try and hack it into something it's not but instead to personally incorporate requested features that make sense into the codebase. I also don't want to get into disputes or lose control of the codebase.

If I did ever release it it would be due to death coming up or severe illness (a real possibility) or just deciding to say fuck it and give it up to let any others who might want to take over.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Prime Junta said:
So you're suggesting I hire consultants instead of perm workers? I'm cool with that, if you'll put up the cash. Say, $200k for starters; that ought to hire one junior consultant for a year as well as pay me some pocket money for my effort. You in?
If that's how much you think a junior consultant should get paid, hire me!

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
elander_ said:
Does anyone know any decent crpg made with Torque?
AFAIK, the only Torque RPG that has been completed is Minions of Mirth, which is can be played as a single player game or an MMORPG. You can find out more and/or download a free edition at Prairies Games.

There are several others in development though.

It would probably be beneficial to start a new thread to discuss Torque, rather than for us to continue several loosely related conversations in this one.

Prime Junta

dojoteef said:
Prime Junta said:
So you're suggesting I hire consultants instead of perm workers? I'm cool with that, if you'll put up the cash. Say, $200k for starters; that ought to hire one junior consultant for a year as well as pay me some pocket money for my effort. You in?

If you think that salary is the only cost associated with hiring someone, don't go into business for yourself.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Prime Junta said:
dojoteef said:
Prime Junta said:

If you think that salary is the only cost associated with hiring someone, don't go into business for yourself.
If you think you need $100K (presumably if you split $100k for you and $100k for your consultant) for one year for hiring a JUNIOR level position you don't know what you are talking about. At junior level for programming you can expect a yearly salary in $50k-$60k level. So you are trying to tell me there is an additional overhead of $40k-$45k??

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I've been pretty busy with school, though I should have some more free time this summer during my internship.

I skim the front page a lot, just haven't found much time for "discussion".

Prime Junta

dojoteef said:
Prime Junta said:
dojoteef said:
Prime Junta said:

If you think you need $100K (presumably if you split $100k for you and $100k for your consultant) for one year for hiring a JUNIOR level position you don't know what you are talking about. At junior level for programming you can expect a yearly salary in $50k-$60k level. So you are trying to tell me there is an additional overhead of $40k-$45k??

Okay, I didn't actually calculate a budget. I just used a rule of thumb of for estimating the expense -- taking the salary and doubling it.

It's probably a bit on the safe side, but not as much as you might think. Don't forget that if you hire someone to work for you, you'll also have to pay for office space where he works, a workstation to work on, tech infrastructure shared by everyone working on the project, accounting, auditing, incorporation, and so on.

Human Shield

Augur
Prime Junta said:
I've been looking a bit at some OSS game engines like OGRE, Crystal Space, Reality Engine and such. It strikes me that most if not all of them appear to be (a) oriented towards twitch games, and (b) operate at a pretty low level of abstraction (e.g. OGRE isn't much more than a pure rendering engine). OTOH most RPG construction kits I've seen appear to be technologically pretty primitive when it comes to the bling factor (we're talking 2D sprites, square grid, and pretty basic sound).

Now, suppose someone were to start an OSS project with the objective of creating a game engine geared specifically towards CRPG's. The main design goal should be to make creation of game content as easy as possible, while providing as much bling as is feasible and handling the trickier issues of platform compatibility.

Suppose the "Open RPG engine" project would have the following goals and characteristics:

* Non-restrictive license (MIT, Apache, BSD or similar)
* Builds on an existing OSS game engine project
* Defines file structure for game modules and other assets
* Not tied to any individual system of game mechanics. Instead, hooks from the API to the game mechanics are abstracted. (Example: an inventory management function is part of the "core," the concept of "bulk" is defined for objects, and an operation to recompute a stat for a character is permitted when an object is added to or removed from inventory. However, what the stat actually is, is defined in the separate game mechanics module.) It should be flexible enough to accommodate anything from S.P.E.C.I.A.L to d20 and between (but not necessarily twitch-based systems).

* Includes:
** Toolset similar in scope to the NWN or TES construction sets
** Rendering, sound, FX
** UI functions such as:
*** Inventory management
*** Party/character control
*** ...etc.
** Library of models, animations, and objects

Basically, what I have in mind is something like the NWN toolkit, only (a) open-source, (b) not organically tied to the d20 system and (c) better.

Thoughts? In particular, is there a project like this already in existence and I just missed it in my quick look-see?

All right has there been any update on this?

I would like to express interest in a open-source over-head, tile-based (and maybe radius-based), turn-based (and maybe phase-based) engine.

Not as expansive as your suggestion but a major part. Parts such as sound and models should be done by each team.

I would recommend Irrlicht. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ is a 3D that has advanced features but is straightforward enough that additions can be used by new comer RPG enthusiasts, other open-source 3D are going to require previous experience. It is also C++ and easy to setup and run.

I have immediate C++ knowledge and can pick things up quick but I haven't wanted to start a project without some other support and someone more knowledgeable.

I would like to see a recyclable RPG engine that could be used for our own projects.

So I can plead time and effort if I can get someone a bit more experienced. It shouldn't be too hard, I am just to inexperienced to start writing tile and turn managers from scratch.

I've already coded a basic overhead camera with mouse scrolling and mouse wheel zoom, and mouse hover-over highlighting on objects.

crufty

Arcane
If NWN was turn based that would be enough for me...

Damn you bioware, damn you! :)

I think an RPG oriented IF engine would probably get more immediate utility. 3D graphics have moved out of the carb. era and into fuel injection....the casual hobbiest can no longer compete with the big boys; not from a development perspective, but from a user's perspective. Most folks can barely draw, let alone model what is in their imaginations. BUT they can all <i>describe</i> it.

Still, if anyone is taking a shot, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start here: http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/

There's no reason to spend your time modeling new goblins when plenty of fan made ones already exist!

tozth

Novice
The thing that really drags Panda down is the licence. Because of it mostly, the project failed to attract developers and things move really slow... Plus, for Python developers wanting to do 3D work there are a lot of options.

elander_

Arbiter
Psilon said:
Last time I looked at Panda it wasn't especially impressive. Have things changed in the past year or so?

I have tried Ogre and Irrlicht and it seems Panda is a lot better. If you download the Panda development kit you have Python already installed and you can make your entire game in Python. Plus you can use .x, vrml and other common models in the game. Im working on a 3d model of vault13 to test it, i will tell you more when its finished.

Castanova

Prophet
On the flipside: I can program well enough to make a game but I never do because my ambitions exceed my time/ability to render graphics.

Does anyone know a free or extremely cheap (< $100 US) library of animated sprites/models? It's grid & turn-based so I actually don't need very much, just:

- A melee character
- A ranged character
- A caster character

The only other wrinkle is that I need lots of equipment combos for the melee. He needs to be righty, lefty, with/without shield, and dual-wieldable.

elander_

Arbiter
You mean 3d or 2d stuff. If you are just looking for 2d you could extract some sprites from Fallout and give it a small retouch. I don't think anyone would bother. Certainly not Interplay that is in coma for several years now. If you mean 3d models then try blendernation and the blender model repository. There is usualy some already animated models on the net if you look well enough.

tozth

Novice
@elander_
You can write games entirely in Python using Soya3d, a 3D engine written entirely in Pyrex and Python.

Implemented features:
* Multi-platform : Linux / Unix, MacOSX, Windows
* Object model, including camera, light, world, volume,...
* Cell-shading
* Shadows
* Particle systems
* Full screen
* Tutorials and demos included
* Trees
* Raypicking
* Landscapes
* 3D character animation (with Cal3D)
* Exportation scripts for Blender, Obj/Mtl, Maya and 3DSmax
* Event management (keyboard, mouse,...)
* Environment mapping

Soya-specific feature (usually not present in most other 3D engine):

* Soya takes care of coordinate system conversion automatically!
* Soya imports Blender models automatically!
* Soya automatically regulate the rendering speed by modifying the animation quality!
* Soya is able to determine automatically which objects are static, and to optimize their rendering! (work in progress)
* Soya's object, including the ones you may create using inheritance, can be saved without writing additional code, using serialization (Pickle or Cerealizer)!

Also, there's Delta3D

Major New Features

* dtHLAGM: A HLA networking component for the GameManager that support an Agile FOM interface using XML.
* User input via dtCore::Keyboard and dtCore::Mouse now follows the Chain of Responsibility pattern. This also users to have finer-grained control over who handles input events.
* Brand new dtCore::SkyBox which support three render profiles: fixed function, cube map, and angular map. This refactor fixes the infamous ATI/SkyBox bug!
* Support in dtCore::EffectManager for extensible DetonationTypes.
* Support for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
* Universal Binaries for Apple MacOS X.
* Shader architecture which loads OpenGL Shading Language vertex and fragment shaders with a XML definition file. Shader groups can now be attached directly to Actors in STAGE.
* Dead Reckoning GMComponent - added Actor helper object and dead reckoning component for the Game Manager architecture to tick and move objects with less actor updates (particularly useful for networked apps).
* BaseInputComponent - enables easy use of keyboard & mouse behavior in the GM using the recent changes to keyboard and mouse listeners.
* Massively enhanced Game Manager After Action Review capability with Task Actors and many other new features.
* Added interface for particle manipulation through code. Particles on the fly!
* LOTS more unit tests.
* Many, many bug fixes... see changes.txt for details.

Key Features of the Delta3D Game Engine

* High level C++ API with Python bindings
* STAGE: A powerful editor for building 3D worlds and scripting sequences.
* Supported on Windows XP and Linux
* LGPL license for core libraries. GPL license for STAGE.
* Particle systems
* 3D audio rendering
* Supports numerous standard 3D file formats (.3ds, .flt, .osg, .obj, etc.)
* High & low level character animation
* HLA networking
* Game-style client/server networking
* Extensible terrain architecture
* Terrain generation directly from source DTED
* Realistic terrain rendering using SOARX
* Procedural vegetation placement on terrain
* Tool suite: STAGE, Particle System Editor, 3D Model Viewer
* 3D content exporters for Max 7, Maya 6, and Blender 2.37
* Email and web forum support
* Unit tests

Because Delta is using Open Scene Graph for rendering, I think it's safe to say that you can achieve reasonable amounts of bling. :)

198387627_6548329dc1_m.jpg

198387148_d3d8639416_m.jpg

198387224_0178c8bf3f_m.jpg

198386507_815ee1ee2f_m.jpg

198386193_8fe621e38e.jpg

And there's also the Blender Game Engine. It has a new physics engine and work is being done to replace it's aging rendering technology with Ogre3d (early preview announced for late August).

* platforms: linux, window, mac...etc
* logicbrick system
* python script
* support glsl shader 2.0 (vertex and fragments programs via python or build in)
o normalmap
o parallaxmap
o specularmap
o colormap
o detailmap
o environment reflect cube
o environment reflect sphere
o vertex color
o phong shader
o dynamic shadow -not yet (soft and stencil shadow)
o gl particle system (not yet)
* physics: bullet and sumo
* sound: wav (ogg,mp3 not yet)
* textures: tga+alpha, png+alpha, jpg
* bitmap fonts
* gui (general user interface)-not yet
* mesh deform with bones
* terraine engine - not yet
* lod (level of detail - via python
* culling system: sphere, box, frustum (via python)
* portals - not yet
* network (via python)
* multi uv coordinata (via python)
* mipmap
* lightmap/shadowmap baking (not yet)

The most hyped BGE project at the moment is Club Silo.

198401783_a570ebd91c_d.jpg

198401795_47762dfab2_d.jpg

198401801_58f764acfb_d.jpg

All this stuff is free software under GNU GPL.

crufty

Arcane
Personally, if you know C++ I think Ogre is the easiest to use IF what you want is not covered by a more higher-level engine already. It is not always fast and it has its quirks, but the nice part is as it follows the 3d tech you get the advances for "free" so to speak.

I would think a good place to start would be adding a 3d-ultima style tile based engine to ANY 3d engine. All these engines (to my limited knowledge) handle large, sprawling level based meshes very well, but none support tile based ones. Rather then starting a whole new project, I think it would be of great use to add a tile-based render, then add the framework on top of that...

tozth

Novice
Ogre is not a game engine but a rendering engine plus some goodies like skeletal animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom